[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HELLO /g/ As a total complete noob, where should I start if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

HELLO /g/

As a total complete noob, where should I start if I want to make my own video game?

What languages do I need to learn, or would be most beneficial, or are the most common for 2D, side-scrolling and or over-head view games like Hotline Miami and La Mulana? I have no programming experience besides a little Javascript, so take that into account.

There's an engine I want to use. Its a popular one but I can't think of the name. I read that it allows anyone to use it for free even commercially unless they make $100,000 in a single year. Then they'd have to pay like a monthly fee or something.
>>
>>>/vg/agdg

Short answer is : select a language, à graphic library and program whatever you want to.
If you want to achieve something, you better go with a game engine.
Personnally I'm more interested into the algorithms and creating my own stuff so I program in C++ with SDL
>>
File: 1484542533151.png (1MB, 1200x1679px) Image search: [Google]
1484542533151.png
1MB, 1200x1679px
Honest advice? Go to agdg on /vg/, read sticky. Like the other anon said. They're a bunch of shitters like you but you'll at least get more mileage then here and won't have to install gentoo.

>What languages do I need to learn, or would be most beneficial, or are the most common for 2D
>I have no programming experience

Pick either game maker or unity for 2D. Don't stress about the limitations of either because as an amateur solo dev you will absolutely not have to worry about being "held back" by either, if anything you'll want as much hand-holding as possible as a beginner. Best advice is to download both follow a youtube tutorial for each one to completion and decide for yourself which your more comfortable with.

You don't really need to learn any particular language for either but If you want to game dev you should pick up a language anyways just to practice and learn good habits. It'll take you years at best to make anything decent and you might as well learn something in the process.
>>
File: 1467856958694.gif (4MB, 440x247px) Image search: [Google]
1467856958694.gif
4MB, 440x247px
okay, so game maker and unity.... which one do you think is better?
>>
>>59073392
The one you are thinking of is indeed Unity.

Best advice I can give you is to pick anything and start ASAP or else you'll just sit there thinking about it and never actually do it.
>>
File: 1471293724406.gif (2MB, 389x279px) Image search: [Google]
1471293724406.gif
2MB, 389x279px
Alright, I downloaded Game Maker... I'll just start with that and see how it goes...
>>
>>59073392
You can start by installing a GNU/Linux distro so you can access necessary tools easily. Here's a tutorial.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation
>>
>>59073392
if I had a dollar every time I heard this question. Here goes.

First, you're going to start by learning modelling. Maya is pretty good, so is 3DSMax. I prefer Maya because muh Mac but it's your choice. After you learn that, you need to learn 3D painting and texturing. You have a lot of choices in this, such as: marmoset toolbag, substance painter, MARI, mudbox. I prefer Substance (guess why). When you get character concept and basic models down you can start worrying about what engine you want to use. The language you need to learn is dependant on the engine you use.

Two most popular are Unity (C#) and Unreal (C++).

Unity Pro's: is
* easy to understand
* large community
* plenty of premade scripts

Unity Con's:
* no built in shader editor
* lighting system is utter shite
* performance is lacking
* large open world style games are not worth attempting in this engine. (Many reasons for this.)
* default UI toolkit is kinda shit (my opinion)

Unreal Pro's:
* Blueprints (I cannot stress how easy blueprints can make things)
* great performance
* high quality documentation
* source code access
* free

Unreal Con's:
* steep learning curve
* documentation is sparse or outdated in some areas

Since this is your first rodeo, worry about walking before you run. Get the basics down, then worry about the engine. I suggest Unity since you're a nub.
>>
>>59073392
Random anon here. A few days I made a thread about something pretty similar. I want to make a Castlevania-like game in Unity (using 2D sprites, etc). I'm currently starting to learn C#. Unfortunately, It seems an arduous journey.

I wish you good luck, anon!
>>
It's me >>59078425 again.

Check this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqheYYeA4k4

I learned a lot about their workflow and limitations back then.
>>
>>59076392

Too bad that Maya cost 185$ per month.
>>
>>59073392
kill yourself
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.