[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I started using antibeacon around the last august. when I installed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: 1485618233507.jpg (99KB, 288x402px) Image search: [Google]
1485618233507.jpg
99KB, 288x402px
I started using antibeacon around the last august. when I installed w10. I understand it works by modifying the hosts files. It never occurred to me until recently that my memory usage is around 50~55% during idle (16gb). SO I started looking into it as it might be a malware/rootkit. Mbam wasn't picking up anything and my memory usage was still playing around 50% idle. I decided to get killswitch to check maybe some program's running that not being picked up by task manager and it was all pretty normal. I ran CCE and it found host file, problems. sure enough after "fixing" it and rebooting back down to normal. The next day after a reboot, I noticed the memory's back at 50% idle again, so I ran cce and same result.

So this repeated for a couple days until I remembered antibeacon. Sure enough, after "undoing" the immunization and a reboot, memory usage went back down to around 15~20% idle. So I'm kind of confused here, as I thought antibeacon disabled some services and blocked communication from others. How could this affect memory usage on idle?

I was using antibeacon 1.5 and had everything "blocked" including optional ones.
>>
All anti-beacon is doing, aside from adding IPs to host file, is modifying registry. You can check it out yourself by clicking on "show options".

Myself, I used it and didnt notice huge increase of RAM usage during idle (around 1,6 gb then, out of 16). But - and its just my guess here, Im not some serious expert, all I know about Windows was what I read up on MS Technet - since I use Education version of Win 10, I also disabled unwanted services manually and configured proper group policies. Perhaps you didnt (couldnt?) and some service i deseprately trying to connect with MS servers, being inable to (or other option is interfering with its work) and thus it eat too much memory, similar to how "frozen" service would eat up CPU usage.

But again, thats just my guess.

Try to disable/enable different options one by one and check, which one is causing sudden increase of memory usage.
>>
>>59071064
yeah its my next step, and the lower memory usage ever since i've disabled all blocking had been consistent so far
>>
File: 1485383818384.png (912KB, 1110x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1485383818384.png
912KB, 1110x1080px
>immunization
>antibeacon
>these buzzwords will protect me
>thinking Windows 10 respects the host file

Face it, nothing can protect you from the botnet
>>
>>59071287

Some adresses are hardcoded, some are not. Remember that articles about thousands of connections to same adresses, within short time? It was the result of blocking with hostfile without disabling or configuring related services that tried to connect, only to fail and right away trying again.

Once again, all anti-beacon is doing is adding/changing values in registry and adding IPs to hostfile. Everything is doable manually, it saves time however. Settings do work, yet not every edition of 10 can access all of them.

Oh and group policies takes priority over registry, so if user configured related policies, modifying registry will do nothing.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.