[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/ I am looking to transition from Win10 to some a Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: Tux.svg.png (33KB, 280x330px) Image search: [Google]
Tux.svg.png
33KB, 280x330px
Hello /g/
I am looking to transition from Win10 to some a Linux distro. I have no background in Linux, so what would be the best distro to start with for a noob?
>>
Ubuntu on Windows.
>>
Pretty much any in the Ubuntu family. Straight up Ubuntu is fine, though others like Ubuntu Mate and Xubuntu offer desktop environments which you might find easier to use. There's also elementaryOS, which features a remarkably macOS-like design, but it's still Ubuntu under the hood.

This isn't an absolute "best" answer though. I'm sure others will offer more good suggestions. It's just one option.
>>
File: hackerdance.webm (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hackerdance.webm
2MB, 480x360px
>>59054393
Xubuntu 16.04
>>
>>59054424
This, also you can change Ubuntu into Xubuntu or any of the others with 1 command without reinstalling or anything, so it matters even less. I do prefer Xubuntu though.
>>
CentOS
>>
>>59054393
I would say that if you are planning to also replace your proprietary software by free software, fedora is pretty good !
>>
>>59054393
install gentoo
>>
>>59054489
Memes aside, how is Gentoo? Serious question.
>>
>>59054393
debian stable or centos
>>
>>59054393
Gentoo.
>>
>>59054440
Whats the difference between that and baseline Ubuntu?
>>
>>59054522
It comes with the XFCE desktop environment pre-installed.
>>
>>59054393
Ubuntu if you prefer an OS X-like UI.

Linux Mint Cinnamon if you prefer a Windows 7-like UI.
>>
>>59054522
Different DE and no zeitgeist meme.
>>
>>59054484
>fedora is pretty good !
It is, but probably not a good choice for anyone new to Linux. I say this only because Fedora's release cycle is kind of shitty.It can be annoying to some to have to re-install their distro after a relatively short period of time.It's my only major gripe with Fedora.
>>
>>59054505
No one on /g/ even runs it. Gentoo is literally just a meme at this point.
>>
>>59054393
ZorinOS, KDE Neon, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Mint. In this order.
>>
>>59054558
>not liking optimization and welcoming community

I used it too, but compiling needs sometimes a powerhouse these days.
>>
>>59054393
Ubuntu or Antergos.Anything else for the most part, is going to have either a painful install, freetard repositories, or lousy developers.Get some experience under your belt and these things are easily dealt with.
>>
>>59054593
>ZorinOS
Have these faggots released their source code yet?
>>
>>59054393

elementaryOS
>>
>>59054736

if you dont listen to me here and listen to all these other clowns you will never be happy

trust me man ... elementaryOS is where you start
>>
Not op but is there a guide to using Linux efficiently?
Currently I only use it like windows with a skin and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of features
>>
>>59054762
https://p.fuwafuwa.moe/dxblqm.pdf

There can be better books, but it was the first i read.
>>
>>59054393
Linux mint.
5 minute youtube howto video
10 minute install.
>>
>>59054551

Newfag. Get out.
>>
>>59054393
>>59054399
>>59054424
>>59054440
>>59054460
Don't listen to those babies. Go straight to debian. Ubuntu is a corporate clone of it for plebians.
Debian stable is extremely easy to install nowadays.
If you need the latest versions go debian testing.
It's more stable than most "stable" other distros, to not say all.
>>
File: Well_e9bfc0_5436149.png (638KB, 680x647px) Image search: [Google]
Well_e9bfc0_5436149.png
638KB, 680x647px
>>59054609
>gentoo
>welcoming community
>>
>>59055095
Yeah it's great, as long as you don't want your hardware and accessories to work.
>>
>>59055185
Linux is linux. There is literally nothing it can't do other linuxes can. Besides, the meme that is hard to use died 15 years ago, debian has been easy to install since forever now.
>>
Are Win10 file systems compatible with Ubuntu, or any other distro, for that matter? Or will I have to run a VM or otherwise manually make my files compatible with Linux?
>>
>>59055095
Debian is indeed easy to install but also somewhat barebone with not a lot to work with (which can be good, but for a switcher probably is bad)
testing is better to have access to repos that aren't 2years and older.
But I would not suggest Debian for a switcher
And then Debian is the ULTRA KEK name anyway...
>>
File: rms-bw.jpg (4MB, 2835x2050px) Image search: [Google]
rms-bw.jpg
4MB, 2835x2050px
>>59054393
>>59054551
>>59054762
>>59055284
>>59055352
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59054393
OP use Elementary OS for like a month, maybe dualbooted alongside your Windows desktop. After you're used to the basics of gnu/linux (which is very easy to learn by the way) switch over to Arch, Gentoo or even Linux from Scratch (if you dare ;) ). I've done the same thing except I've dived headfirst into Elemantary and was using it for like a year, which is a waste of time because it's nothing but a beginner OS.
>>
>>59055799
Oops forget to remove my name from the other thread haha (I haven't saged by the way)
>>
>>59054393
>>59054399
>>59054424
>>59054440
>>59054460
>>59054476
>>59054489
>>59054506
>>59054533
>>59054593
>>59054748
>>59054736
>>59054880
>>59055095
Don't listen to those retards. Go straight to Linux From Scratch. You won't really learn how your system works unless you build it from the ground up.
LFS is as stable as you make it to be and its quite a learning adventure!

Seriously tho, just install Mint.
Or at least remember to ignore any posts that contains the words: bloat, noob, baby(ies) or arch.
Good luck.
>>
go with Debian

or 1st Linux Mint, and then switch to Debian ...
>>
>>59054393
sabayon: it's very fast (snappy), just works out of the box, has an easy installer. It's perfect for me after trying out tens of distros.
>>
>>59054393
It's got to be Ubuntu based because every question you'll have (and you will have questions) has already been asked and answered in the forums or askubuntu.
Mint is your best option if you want a more Windows-like experience, and it is the distro I use and imho the most hassle-free over all.
Unity is a pain in the ass to use so vanilla Ubuntu isn't a good choice coming from Windows, but if you don't mind the more OS X interface then give it a try.
>>
q4os
>>
>>59056025
dis
>>
is Fedora any good for a windows 7 newbie?
>>
Zorin

It's like Mint but you'll like it.
>>
File: 0842867.jpg (76KB, 698x400px) Image search: [Google]
0842867.jpg
76KB, 698x400px
Linux a shit. Have a mentor that know Unix install illumos or trueos. Find a BSD User group to show you that unix is more than an alternative to Windows.
>>
>>59055352
They're compatible
>>
File: cringe.png (631KB, 1254x763px) Image search: [Google]
cringe.png
631KB, 1254x763px
>>59056372
who the fuck uses VLC nowadays
>>
>>59054393
Mint or Ubuntu great for new linux users
>>
>>59054393
https://distrochooser.de/?l=2
>>
>>59054558
USE flags are amazing though.
>>
File: 1482012651400.png (871KB, 650x4377px) Image search: [Google]
1482012651400.png
871KB, 650x4377px
>>59054393
Ubuntu or Fedora. Ignore Archfags.
>>
>>59055284
>There is literally nothing it can't do other linuxes can
is it easy to set up without systemd, with a comfy package manager that doesn't break your shit from trying to hard, to have normal, simple service start/stop scripts, build certain packages from source with locally saved modifications and build options?
>>
Make a live drive of a lightweight version
It's fun to try some of them out see what the layout is like, get an idea for some different freeware the distro creators thought would be good or useful as a starting point
Plus if you keep it on a drive you don't have to worry about fucking with your regular drive or if you puter belongs to your mum and she wants to check her emails and your browser history to see what you're jerking off to all the time with the door to your room closed
then once you get hooked a little bit you'll read about a bunch more distros and then decide on one you can't get to work and shit post on 4chan instead of trying to get this thing to work because your going to need to do something to ignore the despair of how fucking dumb you feel not being able to get something simple to work but invested so much time in it already you don't want to just jump onto the next meme distro that will probably be much easier and more functional than whatever you're trying to do that isn't working ever will be for you
>>
>>59054533
don't forget ubuntu mate if you just want something that works well with no bullshit
>>
>>59055095
Don't listen to this idiot. He's an idiot. Debian is anal about freedom and anything requiring proprietary drivers won't work out of the box. Just install Ubuntu and avoid Mint.
>>
>>59054393
>>59054393
>>59054393

OP, LISTEN, LISTEN TO ME RIGHT NOW, LISTEN TO ME

INSTALL FEDORA, I'm not even joking.

I dabbled in Ubuntu then Debian then Arch, none have ever actually been comfy. Always something to fix.

Then I installed Fedora. Smooth from the start.

Go to getfedora.org right now, they make the install process ridiculously straightforward.

Click the link that says Workstation, continue from there. Or you could just download Fedora Media Writer, and let it do all the work. You press like two buttons, and it makes a Live USB for you. YOU DON'T NEED TO THINK OR DO ANYTHING. IT DOWNLOADS THE IMAGE AND WRITES AND THINKS FOR YOU.

And as an added bonus you can say your computer runs Fedora, like the hat, as a joke or whatever.

No joke though, Red Hat is awesome and does awesome things, and switching to Fedora was the best decision I ever made with Linux.
>>
>>59056268
It can be, but installing Proprietary drivers can be a bit of a pain if you are very new. Check out Negativo and Fedy if you do decide to go with Fedora, makes it easy.

t. Fedora User.
>>
SUSE if you don't want botnet
Ubuntu if you want botnet
>>
>>59054505
It's just fine as a distro.

It's not for the same use case and audience as Ubuntu or Android, which both try to provide "the usual binaries" for "everyone" with minimum effort and minimum configuration interaction - which clearly is what most people want (never mind the only thing most people are actually capable of handling).

Gentoo is more what you get when you have people that realize they quite regularly want to tinker with the same stuff developers and distro maintainers tinker with.

>>59054558
Running it right now and have been for over 10 years.
>>
>>59055682
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.
Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.
One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>59055682
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.
You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.
>>
>>59055682
Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:
Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.
Thanks for listening.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.