[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long until we get a dual socket APU board? 2x quad core

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: DSC02188.jpg (49KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02188.jpg
49KB, 480x360px
How long until we get a dual socket APU board?

2x quad core APUs for 8 CPU cores and the 2 iGPUs can crossfire
>>
>>59053342
not until the GPUs are good enough and have onboard HBM for VRAM.
>>
never because it would be a retarded product only retards who don't know what a workstation is would buy
>>
File: amd.jpg (86KB, 608x369px) Image search: [Google]
amd.jpg
86KB, 608x369px
>>59053342
>>
>>59053385
Pretty much

>>59053365
You're wrong. It's even more viable now thanks to SFR being used instead of AFR.
>>
>>59053385
>i have a folder with /g/ images saved from 2005
>i have sorted and ready to unload spicy meme bombs on hot threaders like this baby right here
>I'm a top tier memer
>>
>>59053342
We will probably see socketed GPUs, like Intel knights landing.
>>
>>59053342
We already have this, it's called PCI-E sockets, dumbass. To be quite honest the whole notion of APU for server/workstation only makes sense in the context of efficiency, and since multi-CPU boards are not predicated on efficiency you will never see this configuration.

Put another way - you ever notice how the big chips that get dropped into dual CPU servers and workstations aren't efficient at all? That's because they exist to get shit done in a timely manner, efficiency be damned. That's really not where APUs can excel against CPU+GPU
>>
>>59053832
Stop calling them GPU you retarded sack of shit. Those things have legit x86 cores that can even boot OSs. Only real difference is they require AVX-512 instructions to unlock their batshit crazy FP64 performance.
>>
>>59053342
Lovely machine.

Dual-socket APUs won't happen until the chips have multi-socket coherent logic in them, like the server CPUs have. They currently don't. Perhaps HPC APUs for supercomputers could have dual-socket support, but those things will be lolexpensive, if AMD ever makes them, it will be MCM server dies with HBM and a dedicated GPU chip on an interposer, so think 3000-7000$ per one.
>>
>>59053872
>he thinks that GPU means Graphics Processing Unit.
GENERAL Processing Unit, anon.
>>
>>59053852
No no no!
The advantage of the dual socket is that you also get extra CPU cores too.

Imagine putting a pair of I3s together. You'd almost have an i7 for almost the price of an i5.
Now imagine putting their GPUs together too.

I know it's not much, but it's not unreasonable to expect that to perform better than a gtx 1050 with an i3 even though the costs should be very close.
>>
>>59054364
>You'd almost have an i7 for almost the price of an i5
You would not. Dual-socket motherboards are quite expensive, so even if they tired to make it mass-market and not premium, it would be more cost effective to buy that i7 and put it in a cheap single-socket motherboard.

Also NUMA penalties, consumer apps aren't prepared for them, usually.
>>
>>59053385

Intel has a 10 core processor with HT. Where is your god now?
>>
>>59054090
>anon
>A namefag
>>
>>59054893
>namefag
>a tripfag
>>
>dual socket
ok i'm listening..
>dual iGPUs to crossfire
no, fucking no.
Waste of a fucking socket.

Two totally different markets for those kinds of things
>>
>>59054835
>10
10 cores weren't even much 10 years ago

they have 24 core xeons and the sparc XIfx has 34 cores.
>>
>>59053342
AMD already tried basically this with Dual Graphics mode. It was barely worth it.
>>
>>59054052

Infinity Fabric

On every Ryzen and Vega core.
>>
>>59053342
MSI 649D? Had that board. Still have it, but the AGP slot stopped working. Had two CPUs installed on it that were not identical, worked fine: 933MHz P3 and 1GHz P3.
>>
>>59055759
On Summit Ridge, because it is meant for servers. But I bet AM4 doesn't have pins for the fabric. It just doesn't make sense for consumer stuff (although a Ryzen-Vega communication link for faster gaymes would be great thing, fuck you Nvidia).

The APUs also probably won't have IF PHYs.
>>
>>59053342
>APU
this meme needs to die
it's a cpu
>>
>>59054744
>compiler detects feature
>is automatically used in next update
>amd ends up being even faster
>>
>>59056324
>fuck you Nvidia
4 zen cores + small vega + 16GiB HBM2
perfect 1080p gaming machine in one package
>>
>>59053365
It gives you a lot of computing power in a compact space, in addition to potential power savings
>>
>>59058296
A machine like that will most likely only exist in laptops or some OEM machines
>>
>>59059091
It's a massive waste of money for average consumers, there's literally no justification to have this setup except in enterprise or professional work settings.
>>
>>59053342

Dual quads? Loser.

Dual hexacores and 24threads, with two polaris sized Vegas with 8GB of HBM each.
>>
>>59059091
If you're interested in compact space or power savings you're not going to choose dual socket.
>>
honestly i cant wait

dual apu itx

wayland/vulkan with the workload spread evenly between the two

i want dual Gib ports too pls

this include a x16 pci

a bio chip socket or dual fail-over for bios for flashing or replacement
>>
ITT: Children who have no idea how computers work vs People who understand dual APUs for "power savings and better performance" is literally the most retarded thing that's been posted on /g/ all god damned day.
>>
crossfire doesn't even work with real gpus, how the fucc is it going to work with two shit-tier integrated gpus

come on /g/ get ur shit together
>>
>>59053342
super weird, for a moment I thought it was a picture of my old dual PIII computer. Looks like the same ePox motherboard but I had those coolers in silver color
>>
>>59057955
Do you not know the difference?
>>
>>59053770
but if I'm associating the right acronyms for that post it's a fucking waste over just buying two discrete cards in the first place, or allowing a discrete card and an APU to work in tandem on graphics

>>59059091
hence why you'd buy a fully-featured workstation in the first place, rather than some slightly cheaper "prosumer" piece of shit with no upgrade path, among other potential gimping

chances are if you're doing some kind of work that really needs more than one socket you're probably not going to be in the mood to cut corners
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.