[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 32

File: sahanateam.jpg (52KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
sahanateam.jpg
52KB, 640x426px
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

Previous thread: >>59017764

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What's the alternative for x?
https://alternativeto.net
http://www.linuxalt.com
Search for software by category:
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
http://phoronix.com
http://www.webupd8.org
https://www.linuxjournal.com
https://lwn.net
Gaming news:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com
https://linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: >>>/t/713097

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ <insert command here> --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos <anything>

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
First for Arch + i3
>>
>>59039517
Does X work?
>>
>>59039589
>inb4 spamming because upset
>>
>>59039553
If I understand your question, yes I launch i3 through X
>>
I'm buying a new laptop soon. Is there anything wrong with getting one with Ubuntu preinstalled? I'd probably replace it with arch, but if it comes with Ubuntu you are guaranteed to have good drivers for everything on GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59039764
most laptops sold with linux preinstalled are horribly overpriced, just check out places like system76 for examples of what I mean
>>
File: 1485378914694.jpg (96KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1485378914694.jpg
96KB, 900x675px
>>59039792
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59039792
I was thinking more dell xps 13, which is actually $100 less than the windows version, and has a different wifi card apparently
>>
>>59039817
interject all you want but it doesn't matter, I'll go on calling it just linux and you can't stop me
>>
>>59039764
All distros have the same drivers. You can install any distro you like.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with vim plugin maintainers? They should have some level of automation for installing plugins and detecting environment. If a library is not present the plugin should download relevant compiler, source files and libraries and store it under own directory.
>>
>>59039838
just remember that business grade refurbished is an option and usually nets you better hardware for less money
>>
>>59039851
I think he's talking about restricted vs non-restricted drivers
>>
>>59039896
Doesn't change anything.
>>
>>59039915
some laptops have hardware (like a wifi card for example) that is objectively harder to deal with on GNU/Linux than Windows
>>
I hear people here saying that nvidia optimus is absolute cancer and barely works on gnu/linux. is that true?
>>
NVIDIA just made a huge contribution to Qt
>>
opensuse or fedora? Which gets packages faster? which is overall the better distro?
>>
I'm going crazy here

What files/programs control the keyboard settings system-wide?

I just started trying spectrwm and the laptop's hardware control keys (ie fn-F11 -> XF86VolumeDown) broke. xev shows them as functional but nothing happens. had been using openbox so far with no problem
>>
Just setup Debian for the first time.

Trying to use wine but when I search for it through gnome's search function, I can't find it. I tried using a front end but it will not work. How do I solve this.
>>
Why can't I get my 7870 to work on any distro?
>>
>>59041100
More details please. Are you using the open source driver or catalyst (proprietary)? What distros have you tried?
>>
I'd like either gnome-terminal-transparency or gnome-terminal-fedora from the aur installed, but I don't want 200mb of gnome dependencies (it looks like it actually makes you install the DE. gnome-terminal from the arch repos doesn't need any of this stuff. How do I force pacaur or something to ignore dependencies?
>>
>>59040117
xev + xbindkeys +xmodmap
>>
>>59041547
arch is for advanced users only
>>
>just ordered a kaby lake NUC
Am I going to be having a fucking bad time with anything less than a bleeding edge kernel or did Intel/Linux actually get this one right?
>>
>>59041619
thanks for the help bro. i can't really think of what to do, makepkg -d fails because gnome shell is missing.
>>
>>59041702
Go in to the pkgbuild and change deps....
Your milage may vary if it actually works
>>
>>59041623
Got a few of these in at the office last week. They ran fine out of the box with Fedora but I haven't tested anything else.
>>
>>59041547
you could work around this problem by realizing that you will uninstall in the future anyway and just go straight to urxvt, termite, etc
>>
>>59041776
why does anyone care about the terminal they use? I've tried urxvt, termite, gnome term, and really couldn't give a shit which one I use. the only thing I care about is that urxvt seems to work the best with a script i made to match terminal colours with my wallpaper
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-02-20_17-59-54.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-02-20_17-59-54.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>59041839
The point of urxvt, termite, etc. is that they give you modern fonts, colors, rendering, internationalization, transparency, etc. but are just an empty box with a terminal in it visually. It gets all the configuration shit out of the way at run time and doesn't try to reinvent window management when you can use your WM or tmux.

Case in point, here's a pair of Termite windows under Fluxbox with both WM-level tabbing and tmux at work.
>>
File: bbllmnmdu.jpg (90KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bbllmnmdu.jpg
90KB, 707x1000px
So I want to give i3 a shot. Just use a WM a nothing else, when I try to find i3 packages though these are my options

[-] dri3proto-1.0_1                DRI3 extension headers from X.org
[-] grub-i386-efi-2.02~rc1_1 GRand Unified Bootloader 2 - i386 EFI support
[-] i3-4.13_1 Improved tiling window manager
[-] i3-devel-4.13_1 Improved tiling window manager - development files
[-] i3-gaps-4.12_1 Improved tiling window manager - i3 fork with more features
[-] i3blocks-1.4_1 Flexible scheduler for i3bar
[-] i3ipc-glib-0.6.0_1 C interface library to i3 window manager
[-] i3ipc-glib-devel-0.6.0_1 C interface library to i3 window manager - development files
[-] i3lock-2.8_1 An improved screenlocker based upon XCB and PAM
[-] i3status-2.11_1 Status bar generator for i3bar, dzen2, xmobar or similar programs
[-] libgladeui3-3.20.0_1 GTK+ User Interface Build core library
[-] perl-AnyEvent-I3-0.16_1 AnyEvent::I3 - communicate with the i3 window manager
[-] py3status-3.4_1 Alternative i3bar
[-] sway-0.11_1 i3 compatible window manager for Wayland
[-] i3ipc-glib-32bit-0.6.0_1 C interface library to i3 window manager (32bit)
[-] i3ipc-glib-devel-32bit-0.6.0_1 C interface library to i3 window manager - development files (32bit)
[-] libgladeui3-32bit-3.20.0_1 GTK+ User Interface Build core library (32bit)

What am I supposed to be getting here? i3 vs is-gaps, what about sway?
>>
>>59042098
>Read description
>make informed decision
>>
>>59042098
Stick with i3 for now. i3gaps is more features you might not need right away, but it's a pure superset.
>>
>>59042130
:^) thanks for the (you) dickhead
>>
I need to quickly convert a rar file into a zip file, anyone got some handy oneliner?
>>
>>59042158
Do you expect to be hand held all of your fucking life?
Pick one and see what happens.
OH LAWDY I DONT LIKE IT
fucking uninstall it and install another
fucks sake you fucking milienials
>>
>>59042164
why the hell are people still creating rar files?
it's current year, 7zip lrzip, hell even zip is widly supported
>reeee
>>
>>59042098
Of those I have:
i3.x86_64
i3lock.x86_64
i3status.x86_64
perl-AnyEvent-I3.noarch

I don't think the perl package has anything to do with it. It's probably a dependency for something else I have. I suggest dmenu. It will probably get pulled in as a dependency of i3 but if it doesn't you want it.

i3-gaps is a fork of i3. I think the point is to make it easier to have spaces in between windows.
>>
>>59042164
>>59042196
Didn't create it, I want to get rid of it.

>meanwhile on os x
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/60805/convert-a-number-of-zip-file-to-rar
>>
>>59040060
Fedora is more bleeding edge. Though the stated aim is to fix bugs through patching the stable version, in practice, if it takes updating the package, it'll be updated. And that lack of anal retention is an excellent thing, imho.

Basically, Fedora is a cross between a stable release and a rolling release. Rather compare it to openSUSE Tumbleweed, as far as freshness goes (though it's a lot more usable; Fedora's Tumbleweed equivalent, ie Rawhide, shouldn't even ben described as bleeding edge: don't use that one srsly, as it's more shredding edge than anything).

Fedora "stable" base also is released more often than openSUSE (about erry 6 months vs erry year). In turn, Fedora releases are only supported for about a year, while an openSUSE release is supported for about two years (mostly useless on desktop, imho, and still too short for the very few cases when desktop long support is needed).

openSUSE tries to get proprietary clickodrome bells and whistles (useless fucktardry, imho, but that depends on what you're after). Fedora is more classical.

Also, as far as I know, there's no CentOS equivalent in the openSUSE world (and the openSUSE two years lifecycle is uselessly short for servers).

Obviously, I am a Fedora/CentOS (very happy) user. Will prbly soon try the fairly new Raspberry version to hack me an alarm clock with an easy to read without glasses 7" screen.
>>
>>59042157
>>59042250
allright thanks
>>
>>59042324
Only run rawhide if you are well versed in SELinux. I ran it for a few months just to see what it was like. I swear I ran in the SELinux problems twice a week. It got to where I only upgraded Monday through Wednesday because if I got something that broke SELinux configuration or needed new rules on Friday, a fix wouldn't hit the repos until Monday.

It's cool because you should only run rawhide to fix stuff or break stuff. Using it normally doesn't make sense.
>>
>>59041194
>What distros have you tried?
OpenSUSE, Debian, Ubuntu and Xubuntu.
>Are you using the open source driver or catalyst (proprietary)?
I've read that AMD doesn't support older cards anymore, so I went straight for open source, but to no avail.
>>
>>59042423
Hence why I call it shredding edge. Erry time I tested it (been a few years last time, I'll admit), at first, the new things I wanted to see were already there, and I was happy...

... at first. Until Rawhide ended up destroying itself in one horrible way or another. And fairly fast, at that.
>>
PSeaking of SElinux and other kerenel patches for security. Why aren't those security features in the kernel by default? If they were included in the kernel from the beginning wouldn't it be much easier for devs to account for and cause users less problems?
>>
Why is linux so much easier to install than BSD?
Should I just go full GNU?
>>
>>59042735
Torvalds is more of the opinion security is a process, resulting of a balance with perfs, usability, etc. He thinks security absolutists are crazy and obsessively narrow sighted.

Security absolutists think it's never enough, that there's no compromise too big in the name of security, and those not agreeing are shit flinging hippie apes.

Neither side is exactly wrong. And that's precisely why they should each keep to what they do best.
>>
>>59042813
>Why is linux so much easier to install than BSD?
Because people actually do use Linux.
>>
how the fuck do I get vim syntax highlighting to work on arch?
>using vim, not vi
>/home/anon/.vimrc reads
filetype plugin on
syntax on
>>
>>59042971
see >>59041619
>>
>>59042986
archfags are the most cancerous people in the unix community
they think their distro is some kind of secret club because you need to read a wiki for ten minutes to install it
>>
>>59042895
So providing all these security patches will always make the kerenel more difficult to work with then, even if they are natively included?
>>
>>59043011
As an impartial observer of these threads who has never used Arch my observations actually show that Arch haters are the most cancerous (at least on /fglt/)
You guys seem WAY more elite minded than any Arch users I've encountered here. Could it be that you're all ex-Arch users bringing baggage you've obtained from the Arch forums along with you over to /fglt/ where it doesn't really apply or something?
>>
>>59043082
I don't care what distro people use, it just seems like arch users are always acting like they're part of a sekrit club and they're better than everyone else for following a simple install
>>
>>59043105
Arch users on /fglt/ though? I haven't really noticed
>>
>>59043111
as of late it's become popular to shit on arch as a distro. a lot of the ex-arch users here have moved on to gentoo and slackware.
>>
>>59043011
on the other hand, if you see Arch as a containment distro for those in their "tinker with ERRYTHING" phase, like what LFS and Gentoo are/have been, it doesn't end up looking all that bad
also, they're at least learning something, if a bit too enthusiastically (who never went through this, apart from Ubuntu users?)

>>59043041
well, making it harder in erry way possible is part of the point in security
anyway, from a distro user point of view, hardening IS natively included
it's just that the distro maintainers serve as a balance between the practical and the absolutist sides
>>
>>59043145
I'm using Arch right now.
>>
Anyone using Gentoo Hardened on their desktop/main machine? How is it, ie. do you run into compiler problems often?
>>
>>59040841
Try looking for it in the synaptic package manager.
>>
>>59043145
>>
>>59042968
I didn't actually "use" the computer for anything it just werks.
Ignoring stuff goes on under the hood doesn't change what happens.
Fucking frustrating part is linux distro's have an easy thing with ... let me dig in my files
checksums. I download a linux variation I've got at least 2 saved but had at least 3 or 4.
I don't know if it's a difference between a .iso image or a DDTHANKSGNU file but with linux I get an easy checksum, BSD has a checksum file I have no fucking idea what to do with when linux fucking spoon fed me a checksum# vs. what I was doing with the .iso
DD sounds like it should be better in theory if I knew what was going on under the hood.
>>
>>59039312
this is now the GNU/Pajeet thread
>>
>>59043191
I don't even know anymore if you're confused, or if it's me.
>>
>>59043247
this is /g/, everyone is confused...
>>
>all these distro wars
beyond package management, and the initial install, every distro can function exactly like another.
>>
>>59043278
wait, what, this is /g/?
>>
>poo in loo
flux
>bloated script kiddie shit
redshift
>functional aryan software
sct

take a note, it could save you're life
>>
>>59043247
Dude nobody is confused. The problem is fucking windows.
I got an awesome windows system. I have a fucking barebones zero'd out mother fucker of a system I have to learn.
I can put linux on it but I want fucking BSD. The system is fucking scrap if I don't learn. It's a fun challenge but some bullshit is happening that isn't making it werk.
How am I suppose to make a checksum file work on windows?
It's hiding information. It doesn't list what type of file the checksum is where some of the linux distro's I've tried have some people really interested in getting people to migrate to their OS spoonfeeding the relevant information to making a OS installation possible. I really don't care if my 32bit system is a piece of shit, it's my piece of shit. I get to start fresh with it and want to fuck around with a unix variant.
>>
>>59043158
Forgot to add: I'm on Arch btw.
>>
>>59043459
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: 1484430707036.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1484430707036.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
>>59039312
I just put most all my other tech news sources on hold and been reading LWN exclusively and I'm in love. Really high quality content, exclusively Linux and OSS related articles and distro news and I learn so much more there than being enticed to skim through comments of reddit/hackernews rather than actually reading the article.

Does /g/ sub to LWN? No point perhaps seeing as you can get the content a week later regardless, but I'd like to support them.
>>
What games do you auto-install on a new GNU/Linux setup?

For me, Dwarf Fortress and Nethack, which are both in the Arch repo so I assume are in other repos as well
>>
>>59043459
>How am I suppose to make a checksum file work on windows?
Depends on what you want that poor checksum file to do. Windows or not, I'm afraid it won't be able to prepare a decent coffee or even make you a sammich, for instance.
>>
>>59043532
>Does /g/ sub to LWN?
yes
>>
>>59043499
THANKSGNU
>>
>>59043562
WAT
Fuck I know you're trolling me. There is no way I have to learn how to fuck with my windows to get it to tell me useful stuff. All it wants is an interpreter to open the file but since it's a GUI it likes to hide that stuff instead of just giving a file name and tree like a console text would, if I use the apps window and go to the apps screen I can scroll right and when I scroll back left the information and listed gui clicks changes I need a freaking internet connection to even google how to open a command prompt with windows this is freaking insane why would the icons change when scrolling? This is designed to be confusing on purpose.
>>
>>59043747
Do I have a virus or is my OS just fucking shit?
>>
>>59043581
Do you do the starving hacker or professional? The content is exceptional, but 7 dollars adds up quickly with every other expense in life.
>>
Is there a one page version of all linuxcommand.org lessons?
>>
when I go into bspwm by using startx, I can't launch the terminal (gnome-terminal). starting from lightdm works fine
>>
>>59043555
By the way, I'm on Arch if it matters.
>>
>>59043994
How are you launching? A run menu such as dmenu?
>>
>>59044031
I have sxhkd bound for alt + enter, which doesn't work. rofi also fails to start it. starting it from terminal also doesn't do anything.
>>
>>59044067
Can you post the output of attempting 'gnome-terminal' from your shell?
>>
>>59044101
literally nothing. just goes to the next line, and doesn't let me do any commands until i control c. If I wait long enough I get ''ddError constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Timeout was reached"
>>
>>59044160
Sounds like some missing dependency to me. Can you try `dbus-launch gnome-terminal` (assuming you are on arch)?
>>
>>59044193
dbus-launch works, thanks. how do I make it always do that?
>>
>>59044218
You can map that to your keybind for opening your terminal I guess, I don't know much about bspwm. Alternatively, you can create an alias in your bashrc/zshrc like alias gnome-term='dbus-launch gnome-terminal'
>>
>>59044218
>>59044247
This might be useful, consider a gnome-session but it might be overkill?
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/46374

Also consider not using gnome-terminal at all but something like xterm/uxvrt. Installing gnome software will pull in a lot of unnecessary dependencies for a system using just a window manager, hence why people use XFCE4 GUI applications a lot like Thunar instead of Nautilus/Nemo because their components don't rely on heavy DE dependencies.
>>
File: Good_7cf3ed_2486640.jpg (63KB, 574x499px) Image search: [Google]
Good_7cf3ed_2486640.jpg
63KB, 574x499px
new content on /t/ (tutorials) >>>/t/757771

new content on /t/ (games) >>>/t/757772
>>
>>59044300
The LXDE/LXQt versions of stuff are top notch for light setups, and don't pull in a bunch of bullshit dependencies LXDE/LXQt is basically just a tiny set of applications and some session glue scripts, but you can just as easily roll your own glue scripts and use a different WM. I use lxappearance and pcmanfm with my Fluxbox setup, along with a bunch of DE-agnostic stuff like Termite and Firefox.
>>
>inconsistent capitalisation of x config files
it's a bit autistic but this genuinely triggers me
>>
File: periods.png (3KB, 465x40px) Image search: [Google]
periods.png
3KB, 465x40px
Are the "." & ".." actual directories or something?
>>
>>59044674
anon, these refer to current directory and parent directory respectively

also pls no bait
>>
>>59044700
I was dead serious. sorry.
>>
>>59044711
no worries; i just don't know who to trust anymore.
these are unfriendly times around here, friend
>>
Why exactly is GNU IceCat not in the Ubuntu repositories?

I have a feeling I know the answer, but I am hoping against all odds that it isn't what I think it is.
>>
>>59039312
How do i make Windows Steam run really well on my LInux machine?

Usually the font is really bad and the store page doesn't work, or a lot of the games are missing dependencies.
>>
I want to compile Bless hex editor from source, but I'm missing the gmcs C# compiler. I cannot find how to get this installed. Where the hell is it?
>>
>>59045014
Presumably in one of the Mono packages. I would look there.

e.g., mono-gmcs in ubuntu
>>
>>59045100
I think I have mono installed, weird. It's bless hex editor. I downloaded the executable, it was in .exe

>tfw not on Debian based
>>
>>59045130
Well, the .exe ain't going to do you no good.
You want the source package (http://download.gna.org/bless/bless-0.6.0.tar.gz), which has build instructions in the README.

Which distro are you on if not debian-based?
>>
>>59045166
Slackware, I'm just trying to find a good hex editor. I found this site: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/89715.aspx
I find that Hexer is a good one since it has a histogram and, if that's a frequency analyzer tool, but I couldn't even find Hexer around.

Yeah I downloaded that, did a ./configure but it got stuck on gmcs, I read the INSTALL but not the README, I'll do that now.

Any Hex editors do you suggest? Something that has most tools that 010 has?
>>
redpill me on slackware
why would I want to not have dependency resolution?
>>
>>59045252
Slackware is the system I'd want to have with me on a desert island with nothing but dialup. The entire distro is what fits on the DVDs, and disc 2 contains the complete source code. That's it, that's all. You CAN install third party packages and programs but those are explicitly Not Part Of Slackware so it's your own damn responsibility to manage them. It's closer to how other OSes do package management. I used it on an Athlon XP for years because I needed a complete in-place system to build my out of tree wifi drivers (yeah, wifi used to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck on Linux) and Debian wouldn't boot on the damn thing until Squeeze. It must have hated my BIOS or something.

Conversely, if you're going to be rapidly installing, updating, upgrading, and uninstalling various bits of software on a testbed laptop with tons of broadband around, there's not much value add in Slackware.
>>
>>59045390
do you have to build everything like the kernel and firefox from source like on gentoo, or is it like apt?
>>
>>59045414
There's a clone called slapt-get but it doesn't have everything. Most packages I got working were from slackbuilds.org
>>
>>59045425
so do you build everything from source or not?
>>
>>59045457
SlackBuilds are like, semi compiled, most of the packages compile very quick, but kinda.

I would suggest you have some experience before using Slackware, but if you want to learn it the hard way, go for it.
>>
>>59045468
what does it have that makes it better than gentoo? t. installed gentoo last week
>>
>>59040117

Whatever you set up to control them.
>>
>>59045480
You have more control over packages? Less frustrating? If you like installing from source and doing work, it requires less work to maintain if you're using it for work I guess. I haven't used Gentoo yet, but I guess, if you update and it breaks, going back to an older package is easy. Uninstall package and reinstall the new one or just install the old version
>>
>>59045480

>apparently installed gentoo and is using it
>still retarded not to understand a basic concept or to know how to look up 2 concepts and compare them in 5 minutes online
>has to be spoonfed

Why do you lie on the internet?
>>
ok guys, gnu/linux noob pls go easy

>unplug HDD with windows on it because someone here said there's a possibility of corruption and i just wanted to be extra safe
>install ubuntu on a blank SSD
>plug HDD back in
>no GRUB bootloader, have to go into BIOS every time to select boot drive

is there a way i can add this in post, or do i just have to reinstall with both drives connected and choose the "install ubuntu alongside windows" option?
>>
>>59045587
You should be fine. Just go to Ubuntu, make sure os-prober is installed, and run sudo update-grub or sudo grub-update (one of those two can't remember which). 99% chance windows will show up in grub next boot.
>>
>programs that ignores your WM/DE's window decorations/lack of them, and use their own (namely steam and google botnet)
people who develop things like this need to be sent to camps
>>
>>59045665

A "DE" doesn't have window decorations. A window manager does. You're not special for using "just a WM", because the "DEs" you hate so much also have "WMs".
>>
>>59045614
sorry, how can i check to make sure os-prober is installed? Should it have been installed alongside ubuntu or did you mean I should go and install it first?
>>
>>59045876
Try typing sudo os-prober. If the hard drive with windows was plugged in while you booted, it might tell you that windows is installed. If it doesn't do anything, try sudo apt-get install os-prober. After installing, run sudo os-prober.
>>
>>59044674
Short answer is the guy who replied is right.

I forget the exact details because I don't use it so what I'm about to say is probably off by a few. I remember reading in how linux works that those are "files" in the same way other inodes are files. Like the inode for a sub directory really has a link to the inode of the parent directory and a link to itself. If you create a directory inside another then the reference counter for the inode representing the parent directory increments. An inode is only truly deleted when there are no more references to it. So if a directory is empty and only referenced in one parent directory and not hardlinked somewhere else then the reference count is 2, a reference by the parent and itself, and it can be forgotten by the file system after that last unlink. Inodes aren't truly deleted by rm. I guess the deleted folder is just left there referencing itself until the filesystem decides to use that space for something else

I'm probably using the term inode incorrectly. Stat seems to give a reference count for an inode if you want to play with it.

Still I thought it was neat that the representation of . and .. is pretty much the same as other files and folders that show up and not just syntactic sugar for cd, rm, and others.
>>
>>59045937
thank you!
>>
>>59046263
So you're dual booting windows now? Have fun trying Linux, hope you stick with it.
>>
% cd /tmp
% touch this; chmod 000 this
% ln -s /usr/bin/touch U
% U this
U: cannot touch this: no write permission
>>
>>59046539
That was a pre-emptive thank you, but I just loaded that command and I don't think it went through. It says "Warning: setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.

Then it says found linux image, found initrd image, found memtest 86x image, found windows 7, and Windows recovery.
>>
>>59039817
Really though, it's called GNU. Leave out Linux.
>>
>>59046702
Looks good, does it boot to grub? Your windows data is safe, but you may need to install grub again (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing), go to "reinstalling grub". Then update grub.
>>
what's the current iteration of crunchbang? last time it was bunsenlabs, is it still up to date?
>>
>>59046795
Interestingly it does, but only when I first go into BIOS and choose the SSD as the boot drive, then it brings me into the GRUB menu. If I set the SSD as the main drive in BIOS, it should go straight to the SSD first correct?
>>
>>59046946
>>>59046795 (You)
>Interestingly it does, but only when I first go into BIOS and choose the SSD as the boot drive, then it brings me into the GRUB menu. If I set the SSD as the main drive in BIOS, it should go straight to the SSD first correct?
Yes, set it as the first option.
>>
>>59046966
It's nearly 3am here so I'll do that tomorrow, but thank you again for the help!
>>
What's the best hex editor for linux?
>>
>>59039312
this pic proves that GNUfags are pajeets who cannot afford real operating systems. lmao @ them
>>
>>59047262
>be pajeet Microshill
>call others pajeet
>>
>>59047214
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59039885
This is why you use spacemacs
>>
>>59047214
:%!xxd
>>
Am I crazy or did Linux Mint have a check box during install to encrypt /home? I'm in the 18.1 installer and I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>59049038
Never mind I'm retarded. I thought it was in the partition setup, but it's in the user setup.
>>
>>59047346
Indians have massive inferiority complexes.
>>
>>59049038
Don't use Mint.
>>
>>59046875

>install debian
>apt-get install openbox tint2 conky

There, you have an always "up to date" Brunchbang.
>>
>>59049854
>apt-get
are you sure you're ""up to date""?
>>
>>59050050

I don't understand what you're trying to say.
>>
If i unplug my hard drives that have windows installed then i install debian onto a different hard drive then plug in the windows hard drives, what happens on boot? i think i want dual boot but idk, i wish there was an easier way to connect and disconnect hard drives on boot
>>
>>59050893
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows
>>
>>59046875
yes its hydrogen. why would you want hydrogen though? its pure bloat. debian with whatever de hydrogen has will do the same thing and weigh less.

personally debian with lxqt is my fav. or was it lxde?? whichever one has the animations
>>
>>59050906
thats the thing, i dont want dual boot e3xactly, im guessing it would just boot into whatever hard drive had higher priority, but them what about grub and whatever the windows bootloader is? would they interfere?
>>
>>59050948
Read:
>>59050906
>>
>bunsenlabs
>crunchbang

You are a disgrace. Crunchbang++ is the true and only successor to Crunchbang.
>>
File: Vantec-Hot-Swap-hard-drive-tray.jpg (39KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Vantec-Hot-Swap-hard-drive-tray.jpg
39KB, 600x400px
>>59050893
>i think i want dual boot but idk, i wish there was an easier way to connect and disconnect hard drives on boot
maybe hot-swappable hdd trays?

>thats the thing, i dont want dual boot e3xactly
why?

> im guessing it would just boot into whatever hard drive had higher priority, but them what about grub and whatever the windows bootloader is? would they interfere?
short answer: no
long answer: google, or the article the other anon posted.
>>
How do you test?

# 1
if [ $i < 1 ]; then
# 2
if [ $i < "1" ]; then
# 3
if [ "$i" < 1 ]; then
# 4
if [ "$i" -lt 1 ]; then
# 5
if [[ $i -lt 1 ]]; then
# 6
if [[ "$i" -lt 1 ]]; then
# 7
[ $i < 1 ] &&
# 8
[ $i -lt 1 ] &&
# 9
[[ $i -lt 1 ]] &&
# 10
[[ "$i" -lt 1 ]] &&
# 11
[[ "${i}" -lt 1 ]] &&
# 12
if (($i<1)); then
# 13
(($i<1)); &&
# 14
(("$i"<1)); &&
# 15
(("$i"<1)); &&
# 16
((i<1)); &&
# 17
test $i -lt 1 &&
# 18
test "$i" -lt 1 &&
# 19
test "${i}" -lt 1 &&
>>
>>59051074
# 5
>>
>>59051103
i see you're using #5, i'm more of a #6 guy myself.
but you know what they say; "old habits die hard."
>>
>>59051074
11 (I'm aware that integers usually don't have spaces and don't need quotes to work, but I like the security benefit of using quotes)
{ } for consistence with other variables
>>
>>59051018
yeah something like this would be great, i knew it exsisted but i can only find it on NAS's and old imb computers
>>
>>59051205
>integers don't need quotes
it doesn't matter if something needs quotes to work or not
not quoting variables is simply wrong
>>
File: 1485939668475.png (548KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1485939668475.png
548KB, 700x700px
Using Manjaro with XFCE, when mounting ISOs...
1. Where does it mount it?
2. Does mounting the ISO effect whatever file system it have?
3. For some reason I don't seem able to unmount ISOs, How to safely unmount it?
>>
File: 1387635849384.jpg (108KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1387635849384.jpg
108KB, 500x500px
What is Arch Linux good for?
>>
So applels iTerm has a escape sequence \1337 which, if fed with a base64 encoded picture, displays it in the terminal.
Why didn't anyone port this cool functionality to other terminals? Why is every other Linux terminal lacking such nice features?
>>
>>59051299
1) not running outdated software
2) a nice arch logo in your screenfetch
>>
>>59051299
telling people about
>>
>>59051306
>Linux terminal
GNU/Linux*

>why not ported
because it's proprietary

>why lacking
because bloat

>>59051299
downloading Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
>>59051322
>2) a nice arch logo in your screenfetch
pretty much this
>>
>>59051322
>>59051360
cringe
>>
>>59051299
I develop new features of C++ so having new versions of GCC and GDB without having to constantly recompile them and have two different compilers on my system is awful nice.
>>
>>59051299
Arch Linux is a stepping stone.
>>
>>59051368
why not just use debian unstable?
>>
>>59051380
to what?
>>
>>59051299
If Gentoo is too hard for you, you can use Arch in order to be at least a bit cooler than others.
>>
File: 1460942562201.gif (494KB, 387x305px) Image search: [Google]
1460942562201.gif
494KB, 387x305px
>>59051398
source magic
>>
>>59051383
>debian sid
>Package: gcc (6.3.0-1)
>arch linux
>Package: gcc (6.3.1-1)

Debian "expermiental" seems to be even more bleeding edge than arch, but I bet nothing works there.
>>
>>59047718
End yourself.
>>
>>59051368
You do know that arch patches GCC to go against the Linux Standard Base, and so if you were developing features for g++ you'd have to build your own from source to get a good compile, right?

Plus if you're developing C++ features you'd be compiling the compiler anyway.
>>
>>59051527
rude
>>
>>59042270
Have you tried extracting it and recompressing it to desired format?
>>
so if i run

sudo aptget install lxqt

what else do i need to do to switch to it?

tldr; how to switch desktop enviros
>>
>>59051299
this >>59051347
>>
>>59051909
relog
>>
File: 1477887984374.png (498KB, 610x457px) Image search: [Google]
1477887984374.png
498KB, 610x457px
asked in /sqt/, figured I'd try here to:
is there any "native" config way to get conky to show information for two different MPD clients? with the 1.9 branch? for my WM keybinding I'm just catting a file with the -h option, I can do the same thing in conky obviously as an exec but that would be slower/more costly no? just wondering if there is a better way.
>>
>>59050926

>favourite
>doesn't even know

Kill yourself. You're even worse than those wine drinking pretentious cunts.
>>
File: hexer.png (86KB, 1168x703px) Image search: [Google]
hexer.png
86KB, 1168x703px
>>59045245
>hexer on slackware
download: https://www.zynamics.com/downloads/Hexer-1_4_0.rar
make sure you have openjdk (get packages from alienbob or slackonly or build your own with sbopkg)
make a dir for hexer (the idiot who packed it put everything in the root so if you unrar it in a shared dir it will get mixed in with everything else
$ java Hexer.jar
it threw a warning/error for me but then loaded fine

>>59045252
"no depedency resolution" is a myth. sbopkg, the unofficial automated build system comes with a helper script to generate build queues based on dependency information, all in the right order so you don't have to worry about what to compile first - just hit process and wait. dependency resolution for the "base" system is unnecessary, it's designed to either be installed fully with certain more "optional" package groups (kde, xfce, emacs, tex) self-contained so they can be safely and easily unselected during system instalation. the package manager for third-party depos doesn't have build-in dependency resolution, but you can just make a retardely simple script/function and put it in your user path or .bashrc:
bash-4.4# cat bin/requires.sh 
reqs=""
check_reqs() {
for req in `slackpkg info $1 | grep REQUIRED | awk '{print $3}' | tr ',' ' '`
do reqs="$req $reqs"
check_reqs $req
done
}
check_reqs $1
echo $reqs
bash-4.4#

that simple :-)

>>59045457
there are many community repos for things that don't come with the base install. alienbob maintains three - one for KDE 5, one for multilib packages, and one with miscellaneous packages he finds useful. slackonly is a repo that provides semi-regularly updated builds of everything on SBo. there are repos for MATE, Cinnamon, repos for most of the derivative distros, one for audio/studio/DAW software, most of the specific-purpose ones are designed so that you can just download and install everything in the repo to get whatever you want to work right away.
>>
Is there a good iptables generator online that will assist me in putting in the right commands?
>>
how do I see the default gateway on arch?
>>
>>59044700
Everybody should refer respectively to their parents.
>>
how do I install grub without grub-install?
>>
>>59053290
nvm I'll go with lilo
>>
>install Windows 7 for gaymen purposes
>regret it after 2 hours and go back to ubuntu
How the fuck do people use Windows exclusively?
>>
>>59051299
It's a pretty good all round distro. Pretty much any wm or de is very nice out of the box. The wiki is arguably the best. Pretty much any package is available.
A lot of v/tards on /g/ bash it because they're butthurt about not being able to install it, as there's no graphical installer, which babbys need.
>>
>>59051442
I haven't used Arch in a few years, but there used to be a testing repo that was disabled by default.
>>
>>59052980
actually it was there in the first place
>>
File: tumblr_okbtskWnSr1svd965o1_1280.jpg (172KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_okbtskWnSr1svd965o1_1280.jpg
172KB, 1200x900px
Thinking about installing Memetoo on my new T420 but the one thing keeping me from doing this -- absence of a straightforward guide on "how to install this with full disk encryption."

Ideally, I want to encrypt everything (LVM on LUKS) including kernel and have something like busybox (or a small set of utils) to run cryptsetup and mount on startup.

I want to stick with OpenRC, can go for any bootloader and I don't need hibernation.

I've skimmed through Wiki but did not found any useful info apart from installing it and leaving /boot partition unencrypted.

I've used this guide ( http://www.pavelkogan.com/2014/05/23/luks-full-disk-encryption/ ) to successfully install fully encrypted Arch numerous times but I'm really confused how to deal with initialization when Gentoo does not have mkinitramfs like in Arch

Can anyone point me to some instruction of some sort or spoonfeed me
>>
>>59053477
>Gentoo does not have mkinitramfs like in Arch
Just use genkernel
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Genkernel
>>
The CIA is trying to destroy Linux, shills have been trying to destroy Linux. Take take, nobody is safe.
>>
>>59053565
take you meds Terry.
>>
>>59053578
I'm not crazy, they're following me around everywhere. They're sneaky and crafty and are toying with my mind.
>>
>>59053565
You are fucking dumb dude.
Even the fucking U.S. Army uses unix like systems. No organization is going to rely on proprietary corporate software. It's a fucking fluke the tech companies have managed to get so rich but the management of money is even just a bigger indicator they're a HUGE security risk even if they chased a government contract for that kind of shit and would only get into the lowest levels of municipal management when they do snag them.
>>
Any skilled imagemagick users?

How do edit a file with convert In place?
As in don't create new files with a different filename but overwrite
>>
>>59053359
yes, testing and multilib-testing repos are still a thing

what >>59051442
said contradicts itself though, debian has 6.3.0 while arch has 6.3.1, and arch is behind?
>>
i need to change my aspect ratio but not resolution on lubuntu (from 16:9 to 15.4:9).

how do i do it
>>
>>59053628
man mogrify
(or lynx/surf/firefox /usr/share/doc/ImageMagick*/www/mogrify.html)
>>
>>59053609
The CIA wants civilians on windows or using Linux full of backdoors. Your thoughts are no longer safe.
>>
The CIA will lose, that's why they're scared and follow us around in their vans.
>>
>>59053672
Thank you very much.
>>
>>59052980
see >>59042986
>>
Am I fucked up?

I'm on Arch btw
>>
File: 2017-02-21-210624_720x426_scrot.png (13KB, 720x426px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-21-210624_720x426_scrot.png
13KB, 720x426px
>>59053803
you're a funny man
>>
>>59053686
You must be a fucking shill for another country if you think the U.S. wants to do a bunch of creepy shit for the sake of doing a bunch of creepy shit.
We have a lot of laws. If you're not doing anything for the government to need to build a case against you, you just have a wild hair up your ass about the principal and you're probably not even really doing anything except playing right into doing shit that gets them payed to investigate for no reason when they'd rather be investigating something serious instead of dumb pointless shit. Please tell me about how you're some privacy advocate after you're presenting U.S. government = bad. You already have a slanted bias you're shilling out.
>>
>>59053643

xrandr and its frontends
>>
File: 1462177192175.png (65KB, 285x276px) Image search: [Google]
1462177192175.png
65KB, 285x276px
>>59053828
>No mail
>>
File: 1 gQVf0RpFjaYfS7GJJtuzQg.jpg (104KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1 gQVf0RpFjaYfS7GJJtuzQg.jpg
104KB, 1024x576px
>let's just hope this .iso works this time
>>
What exactly makes Linux use swap memory instead of RAM when the RAM isn't full yet?
>>
>>59054730
The vm.swappiness setting.

Sometimes it's faster to push stuff into swap when there is still some free RAM, like when another more recently used application suddenly wants to allocate a large chunk.
>>
>>59054783
Would that have any significant effect on the life of my SSD?
>>
>>59054850
Maybe a small effect. I had mine set to 0 for a while (default is 60 I think) so that it would only use swap if it completely ran out of memory. That became a bit annoying on the rare occasion it did happen, as it would be running along just fine at 99% memory usage, then suddenly slow to a crawl.

I'd say it's probably worth it to lower the value somewhat, maybe around the 15-35 range. Google it for a proper explanation of what the number means and how to choose a good value.

That being said, I've been using a Samsung 830 for several years (~38,000 power on hours), and it's showing no signs of wear and tear, so it's probably not a huge difference either way.
>>
>>59054783
>>59054948
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>59055051
..wut
>>
>>59054948
i'd recommend using 1 over 0 in kernels >3.5
https://eklitzke.org/swappiness
>>
Is there a saner alternative to Arch for servers?
Been using CentOS, I want something more >bleeding edge
>>
what's wrong with lilo?
I'm using it and it's quite simple and comfy
>>
>>59055513
>servers
>bleeding edge
You are doing it wrong.
>>
>>59055513
i've been using arch on a mail/web server since 2013 without issues
it's just a personal one i can keep an eye on, but thus far i have had no problems
>>
>>59055513
Source Mage
>>
>>59055513
Arch has an lts branch
>>
>>59041623
Enjoy your throttling laptop in a box I guess. What the hell is the point of those things anyway? A bargain basement mATX build is hundreds less, more powerful, less noise, and infinitely more expandable. Do you really need to save that cubic foot of space?
>>
>>59055566
arch has an lts kernel available, but everything else is the same
it does have a testing repo, but it's off by default regardless of which kernel you install
>>
Why aren't you installing Source Mage GNU/Linux right now, /g/?
>>
>>59055738
I dont install outdated meme distros
>>
>>59055738
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02a723LsoFA
>>
Holy crap, fzf is really amazing.
https://github.com/junegunn/fzf
I have seen the light.

no srsly, try this shit https://github.com/junegunn/fzf/wiki
>>
anyone know a good program in brew to steal music off youtube?
>>
>>59055761
yeah I know, I use it to kill stuff and to play compexly titled anime from my ~/ with mpv all the time
>>
>>59055870
itunes
>>
>>59055870
No idea man, I'm on Windows.
>>
>>59055870
youtube-dl
>>
How do I help my friends pick their distro? I'm convincing them one by one, but I don't want to recommend them Fedora, as it's the one I use and I'm biased.

Which would be the best distro for a newcomer.

>>59055870
outube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 "https://www.youtube.com/watch?&list=PLcvqhGJWynCmHzncemuL0giPmdpOt-vOV" &

Where the youtube link is a playlist of whatever artist you happen to like that Wednesday morning.
>>
>>59056020
>mp3
gtfo
>>
>>59056020
This is obviously missing a "y" at the beggining.

>>59056035
Good luck downloading ogg from youtube. You can convert them to ogg with ffmpeg if stop being triggered for a few miliseconds.
>>
>>59056009
>>59056020
>>59056052
thanks m8s
>>
File: may take some time.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
may take some time.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
>>59055738
because it's not Slackware

>>59055760
>he uses tcl/tk.........
>>
>>59056052
>implying youtube-dl extracts actual mp3s from videos
>>
>>59056078
what thinkpad is that?
>>
>>59056079
Sorry, I don speak memearrow.
>>
>>59056104

Guess what --audio-format does, retard.
>>
>>59056079
what does it do then?
>>
>>59055738
Productivity.
>>
>>59056116
Converting it with avconv/ffmpeg.
If you want to see a list of formats that youtube provides: youtube-dl -F <url>
>>
this dosent work for some reason tho

youtube-dl -x https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
>>
>>59056052
>Good luck downloading ogg from youtube. You can convert them to ogg with ffmpeg if stop being triggered for a few miliseconds.
i have a function to remux the webm's from youtube
function webmtoogg {
for i in "$@"; do
codec=$(ffprobe -v error -of default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 -show_entries stream=codec_name "$i" 2>/dev/null)
if [[ "$codec" == "opus" ]]; then
ext=opus
elif [[ "$codec" == "vorbis" ]]; then
ext=ogg
elif [ ! $codec ]; then
echo Unable to determine format of \"$i\"
break
else
echo Invalid format for \"$i\"
break
fi

ffmpeg -i "$i" -c copy -map 0 "${i%.*}.$ext" 2>/dev/null
if [ $? ]; then
echo Completed \"$i\", removing old file.
rm "$i"
else
echo Something went wrong for \"$i\" \(error $?\), removing new file.
rm "${i%.*}.$ext"
break
fi
done
}

>>59056116
youtube doesn't provide mp3 audio, it's either aac, vorbis, or opus
if you tell youtube-dl to output mp3's, it will convert from one of these into mp3, degrading the quality further
>>
>>59056111
>--audio-format
It doesn convert to ogg, so... what?

>>59056146
Thanks for the explanation and the function.

>>59056111
Learn some manners from
>>59056146
If I wanted to talk to converse with mouth breathers I would call your parents.
>>
>>59056139
You need to request an audio format first.
youtube-dl --extract-audio --prefer-ffmpeg --audio-format vorbis --audio-quality 192k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjg50-nvc
>>
>>59056190
>dat video
DANK
>>
>>59056190
from what i understand, "--extract-audio" always converts, which is not ideal
>>
>>59056190
hows that technique called again?
>>
File: 1486793508641.png (413KB, 1616x3708px) Image search: [Google]
1486793508641.png
413KB, 1616x3708px
What have you got to say about this, /g/?
>>
>>59056248
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune
>>
>>59056190
man, it's hard enough understanding the guy when he's speaking normally due to his thick accent, i can barely make out any words at all in that video
>>
File: rc.sshd.png (10KB, 648x900px) Image search: [Google]
rc.sshd.png
10KB, 648x900px
>>59056264
are you trying to be ironic?
>>
hey also any cool programs to learn bash better?
I have basic shit like screenfetch cowsay and htop
>>
>>59056768
man bash
>>
File: IMG_20160406_183039.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160406_183039.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
>>59056264
>>59056604
bash-4.4$ grep -v '^ *#' /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd | grep -v '^ *echo' | grep -v '^$' | wc
40 104 814

40 significant lines and they describe the entire process instead of hiding the internals inside some ghastly binary and leaving only some variables that aren't even defined in that file (like wtf are MAINPID and SSHD_OPTS? you'd have to find the relevant file and open if you wanted to figure that out...)

>>59056094
my old X200

>>59056768
just use it. you can make a lot of really awkward scripts with bash and over time you can learn to make them better. read the man page. it is very long and very instructive. there's also the advanced bash scripting guide (http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/).
think of something you can make and then make it. I've been adding various things to a wallpaper setting script, originally it was just one line to pick a random one, then I made it link to a ".current_wallpaper" so that I could easily open it in gimp or imagemagick or whatever, then i added a basic "history" function that keeps the last few wallpapers so that i can go back, then a thing to let me pick which subdirectory i want to pick from using dmenu, then added notifications, when i have nothing to do i'll add a thing that puts it in a sleep loop to change it at regular intervals and also let me change/reset the interval or stop the loop by invoking the same script.
there's literally no end to the amount of "simple" thing you can automate with a really long and ugly bash script
>>
>>59055738
I am actually.
>>
>>59056897
Nice. Now you two can drop that meme distro and make out instead.
>>
What the cockshitting FUCK, /g/.

Why can't I get Openfire to listen on 5222, or why can't I get the port to fucking open?
>>
I'm trying to configure Jack and I was hoping someone could help me with this.
If I make it play at 192Khz I get 15ms of latency, the problem is that when I connect my guitar usb thingy Jack will run at 48Khz because that's the maximum supported by the thingy, but that means 40+ms of latency.
Is it possible to fix this?
I guess I could just buy a p10 to p2 converter and plug the guitar into line in, but I have a usb mic and I want it to work with that also.
>>
>>59057211
are you using a firewall?
>>
>>59057501
i don't even use it anymore. the man page is all but perfect
>>
is there a way to alias things like && ?
>% echo 1 && echo 2
>% alias and='&&'
>% echo 1 and echo 2
1 and echo 2
>>
File: fedora_on_a_x200_dot_pee_enn_gee.jpg (415KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
fedora_on_a_x200_dot_pee_enn_gee.jpg
415KB, 1224x1632px
I just changed from Arch to Fedora, and I just feel like talking about how satisfied I am.

I installed Arch hoping that it would be a learning experience, not because I knew exactly what I wanted. And it was, but it was frustrating as well, more so than rewarding. I feel like it is pretty clear that Arch is not meant for people like me.

So I decided to install some other distro, Debian being my first choice, just because, but I couldn't figure out how. I followed the Debian guide, which is a mess btw, to get an image and making a bootable USB pen-drive from it. Except I kept fucking up, it didn't work, and I didn't know why. I tried many different ways to get the install image on the drive and getting my x200 to boot from it, but nope. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, everything should work, but it just didn't. That's the worst place to start a troubleshoot, so I just gave up.

I don't know why I chose fedora, but going to their page after messing around with the Debian guide for ages was bliss. Right away theres a link taking you to get their workstation. I downloaded the Fedora Media Writer, had a bootable pendrive in literally minutes, and got Fedora installed in what felt like no time at all.

Straight away after booting, even though it was on the live usb, everything felt better than on Arch. Everything I wanted to fix but didn't know how, they had fixed for me. Everything worked, out of the box. And after installing, it just feels so nice using the same hardware, same old Gnome 3, same old firefox, just nice.

I then tried using a program from terminal that I didnt have installed, and it asked if I wanted to install it automatically.

I just feel so happy. Why isn't fedora as used and loved as Ubunto or Mint? Their installer was the smoothest I have ever seen.
>>
>>59058052
They even made scrollling in firefox, just like on my mac! I seriously am in love with Fedora, I just can't help it.
>>
>>59058075
should be
>made scrolling continuous
like, you can scroll by pixels instead of lines, so smooth. Got a little carried away there.
>>
>>59058052
I want to turn that X200 into an X2-in-1
>>
>>59058075
>>59058089
it's called smooth scrolling, it works on any system
>>
>>59057477
No, it's disabled. Both ufw and the one on my router.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
>>59039312
I'm using OpenVPN + GNOME to connect to a VPN, I configured it easily and everything is working pretty much fine

However, I do have a significant problem, whenever I am connected to my VPN and lose the connection for some external reason, my network connection just keeps working.

e.g.
>I connect to my VPN
>I start browsing, leave my PC unattended, or whatever
>Connection drops for some reason, I lose connectivity to my VPN
>I come back to my PC thinking I'm still connected to the VPN
>I leak my IP all over the place

Is there a way to configure OpenVPN so that it blocks my internet access once it loses the link between my PC and my VPN server?

or perhaps some option to force a reconnect every time the VPN connection is lost?
>>
>>59058103
I've been disappointed by that statement before, "smooth" does not mean "continuous" in my experience. Just because there is a smooth transition between lines, that does not mean you have a chance to stop a scroll wherever between lines. That's what I'm talking about here.
>>
What are the actual benefits of building everything from source? What can i do with use flags in Gentoo that arch doesn't let me do?
>>
>>59055738
Because it doesn't make any sense why the freebsd boot drives I've made are not working and I refuse to give up after spending like 24+hours of computation time writing sticks for this to not work
>>
is there any enviroment that sets up Debian like Windows 7 or XP? If so, is it reliable?
>>
What distro can I use that isn't going to break or require me to fuck around with anything before it becomes usable. I need to do work on it, can't have it updating to a nonfunctional state or otherwise being shit.
>>
>>59058052
>I just feel like talking about how satisfied I am.
Pretty much everyone who ever stops using Arch experiences this, unless they used a normal distro for a long time before trying Arch.

>Why isn't fedora as used and loved as Ubunto or Mint?
Well, it's definitely better than both, and since it is tied to an actual "professional" enterprise-class Linux, they usually have a much cleaner approach than anything based on Debian. For someone doesn't care about systemd or simplicity or not having mp3 and mpeg-4 OOTB (do they still not package patented/non-free codecs, drivers, etc.?)

>>59058394
What work do you need to do? What is your limit of "fucking around"? Slackware certainly doesn't break and comes with a lot of useful things OOTB, and unless you try to be super clever before you learn it's intricate simplicity, it's pretty hard to accidentally a nonfunctional state. And it's definitely not shit.
>>
>>59058394
Ubuntu (xubuntu is better but functionally identical)
Or Mint
>>
>>59058052
>installs Arch
>can't install Debian
Nigga what is this bait?
>>
>>59058440
>isn't going to break
>updating to a nonfunctional state
>otherwise being shit
three strikes, anon.
>>
>>59058211
The convenience of source based distros is that you can configure your packages the way you want, remove useless stuff, enable useful additional features, optimizing everything for your computer. You can do that basically on any distro, but not with the convenience of source based distro package managers, which will also upgrade your packages with the same customized settings.

Additionally, building from source feels good, because you get your own binaries instead of binaries compiled by someone else.
>>
>>59058659
those are the benefits of building specific packages from source. what are the benefits of building your entire system from source?
>>
>>59058424
>professional" enterprise-class Linux
i thought linux is a hobby project by linus torvalds
>>
>>59058424
>has no idea what is packaged in fedora
>knows that fedora is better
top lel
>>
>>59058424
>>59058440
>>59058528
I'll be starting my biochemistry Phd. I'm not computer illiterate. I already have to screw around with R code and other sciencey stuff and if one thing is going to just werk I'd like it to be the OS. I'm buying parts for a desktop (yes I'm waiting for Ryzen to come out before buying) and don't really want winblows 10 anywhere near it.

Basically I need a desktop OS to replace osx, which I've been using. In reality though, I'll probably have to dual boot with windows or hackintosh if that ever becomes supported with kaby lake and 1070's because for some reason, everyone likes to make graphs and figures in excel and then add stuff to them in PS or illustrator. Meanwhile you can do all that in R. Plus there's some windows/osx only software for complex microscopes.
>>
>>59058684
GNU/Linus*
>>
>>59058751
>exel
What the fuck? And I though using originLab like they do in my uni was pretty bad..
>>
File: 1458114734347.jpg (33KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
1458114734347.jpg
33KB, 336x500px
>>59058823
it's just linus.
linus is everything:
>the linus kernel
>the linus os
>the linus command line
>the linus terminal
>the linus shell
>the linus packages
>the linus package managers
>the linus window manager
>the linus programming enviroment
>the linus server
>the linus computer
>the linus machine
>the linus box

if you're using linus, everything is linus
>>
>>59058940
I mean, it's fine for some stuff. No need to pretend to be a cool computer guy and use R to make very simple graphs. I take data in it and save as csv's to use in R.
>>
File: 1477567033793.jpg (70KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1477567033793.jpg
70KB, 500x282px
>Fresh install of Manjaro
>chromium wont open
>581 updates to install
>wont install because of "conflict"
>won't tell me what the conflict is

this is really shit honestly
any help for this? I only tried out Manjaro because I wanted a more "stable" version of Arch, but this is a mess.
>>
>>59059013
>chromium
botnet; remove
>>
>>59059023
I need it to use skype with video and sound since I have online interviews and they insist on using it.
>>
>>59059030
>skype
botnet; remove!
>>
>>59058751
If you know what you're doing when it comes to Linux/Unix, then you definitely should at least take a look at Slackware. Some things that aren't part of the "official" distribution are very slow to update if they aren't being maintained much, or you have to build them yourself if you want the latest version with custom options.

If you know right away what you need to get to make installing/building packages a hell of a lot easier (slackpkg+ and sbopkg) and you are at least comfortable setting things up in a shell (when it comes to basic system configuration), and you just want a rock-solid system that you can update at your leisure (at least for non-essential non-security related things) and that isn't going to try and take control or argue with you, Slackware is the way to go, friend.

My stepdad is a neurogeneticist who mostly does research and he's been on Slackware exclusively since I put him on some years back, and he started with no Linux/Unix experience whatsoever. He mostly likes it because all of his programming and database stuff works OOTB with minimal effort

>>59058745
I used it for several months about 11 years ago. That was the thing I remember standing out. I know that systemd and gnome shell and a lot of other cancerous crap is packaged with fedora, and that they like change their shit constantly and roll/push out "new features" and be early adopters. They inherited that from Red Hat, back in the day RH was doing the same thing.
>>
File: 1470347426315.jpg (356KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
1470347426315.jpg
356KB, 1024x681px
>>59059042
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59059013
so is there anything I can do with this update issue?
this is a brand new install on a clean hard drive yet its impossible for me to do this massive system update.
>>
>>59059055
why does he wear glasses
>>
Hey guys GNU/Linux noob again, I got everything with GRUB working so I added the SSD it was installed on into my main rig so that I can dual boot there, but it only wants to find the old copy of Windows from the rig I installed it on. How can I get GRUB to recognize this new copy of Windows on my SSD?
>>
What's a good window/tab manager for Firefox?I have hundreds of tabs and dozens of windows and it's difficult to manage. But I don't want to close these tabs.
>>
I just had to log into a server using ssh and ipv6. I wouldn't be so excited if it wasn't for the shame of having to spend 5 minutes to learn how to do it.

More to the point. Anyone know why the interface is needed?
>>
>>59059992
Are you asking why ssh is needed?
>>
QUICK QUICK QUICK you just installed a minimal/headless version of your favourite distro. What are the first 5 things you install? Metapackages count as one thing, don't count dependencies.
>>
>>59059831

There is absolutely no reason to have that many tabs open. Bookmarks exist for a reason. Firefox supports opening bookmarks from the address bar.
You are complicating your experience for some retarded reasons.

your retarded way
>want to switch to a new website
>try desperately to find its tab
>browser incredibly sluggish because it has 500 tabs open
>need extra shitty addons just to find it

a normal person's way
>want to switch to a new website
>CTRL+T
>start typing its name
>RETURN
>done
>>
>>59059831
What are you even doing in those tabs? Porn?
>>
>>59061356
1. Bspwm and all its dependencies (including xorg)
2. firefox
3. gnome-terminal
4. steam
5. mopidy/Spotify
>>
>>59059068
>>59059013

You can install the upstream distribution and not use some shitty downstream fork which breaks and hides things behind an unnecessary abstraction layer.
Do you also get people to chew your food for you? Do you also drink water at the delta when everyone else has pissed and pooped into it?
>>
>>59059013
Manjaro is dogshit. It's arch, except with less competent developers and shittier repos. Just use antergos or a GUI arch installer. If you need le stability, don't use rolling release, or if you do use Fedora.
>>
>>59058672

Learn to read what he said.

>>59058659

>optimizing
Yeah, gotta love that 0,5% performance boost in niche scenarios.
>>
>>59058424

>it's definitely better than both, and since it is tied to an actual "professional" enterprise-class Linux
You use exactly the same software on all of distributions. Your Firefox is the same on Fedora, Arch, openSUSE. Your coreutils are the same. Your file manager of choice is the same. All of them are the same, apart from a few different build options that a normal user wouldn't notice, but even those can be made identical.

You are an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about, but he likes to because he feels smart when he throws away big buzzphrases like "enterprise-class". Kill yourself and improve these threads by ridding them of your wrong posts and myth perpetuation.
>>
I followed this guide to install mopidy on manjaro. https://gist.github.com/0x414A/11118592
Was the stuff with systemd necessary? How do i make it so that I don't have to manually start mopidy every boot?
>>
followed this guide to install mopidy on manjaro. https://gist.github.com/0x414A/11118592
Was the stuff with systemd necessary? How do i make it so that I don't have to manually start mopidy every boot?
>>
>>59061672
>>59061676
Nice double post autist
>>
File: mpv-shot0019.jpg (62KB, 720x549px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0019.jpg
62KB, 720x549px
>>59061440
>You use exactly the same software on all of distributions.
except for package management, in many cases system administration, installers, init systems
>All of them are the same
about as similar as dog breeds
>apart from a few different build options that a normal user wouldn't notice
until apt throws a shit fit over complex irresolvable dependency chains or the bleeding edge arch package makes basic software (including pacman) stop working because the maintainers forgot to update both the libraries and the software built against those libraries and there's no obvious simple way to rollback to a previous version.
>but even those can be made identical.
why would anyone want to spend time turning one distro into another when they can just use another.

distros are different on account of their basic system configuration tools (package system/management, installer, any other utilities), the default configuration of major software packages (including patches, themes, build options), and the available packages (both "officially" supported and third-party/community builds). these can be extremely significant differences - using YaST is not the same as using pacman is not the same as using DNF is not the same as using apt is not the same as using portage is not the same as using slackpkg. these differences stem from differences in the design goals/philosophy, history, culture, developers, and user base--also things that vary greatly from one distribution to another. if they were all the same, there wouldn't be so much variety.

>You are an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about
you thinking that i'm wrong is not the same thing as me being wrong
>Kill yourself
rude
>improve these threads
if you care about quality go complain about the SM, GNU/Linux, and interject shitposters.
>wrong posts and myth perpetuation
"all distros are the same" is more of a myth
>>
YEAR OF VOID

- made with good Spanish sensibilities, a cornerstone of functional software.
- absolutely no systemd (systemd status= not there)
- if void was a little girl it would be a loli (born 2008)
>>
>>59061676

>Was the stuff with systemd necessary? How do i make it so that I don't have to manually start mopidy every boot?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Basic_systemctl_usage
>>
Is Mopidy the logical evolution of mpd?
Currently have an Odroid running mpd (amongst other services), but it isn't quite working like I want it to.

Playlists aren't as dynamic as I want them to be, beets as music manager is ok but could be better, amongst other minor stuff.

But on the other hand it's remote, every OS has an interface for it, and seems pretty lightweight.

How does Mopidy do on this stuff?
>>
NEW THREAD

>>59062016
>>59062016
>>59062016
>>
>>59060173
You need to put the interface in the command for some reason.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.