[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Red pill me on why ISPs want you to buy a specific router for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1487127242855.png (20KB, 616x930px) Image search: [Google]
1487127242855.png
20KB, 616x930px
Red pill me on why ISPs want you to buy a specific router for your home network when almost any router will work anyway?

Surely it has to be deeper than the money
>>
Because the ones they'll give you they can tap directly into for remote administration and troubleshooting.
>>
Because they can confirm those ones work, and they're not running l33t l_i_n_u_x (XDA_Pajeedition)
>>
>>59036995
1 - They can service them easier
2 - They can spy on you easier
>>
>>59036995
So they can automatically update the firmware, and control it remotely.
>>
>>59036995
is this an american thing? i can use anything that supports whatever comes from the cable here
>>
why teach hired retards to service routers in general, when you can teach them to service one
>>
Verizon are huge jews in this regard
only specific routers work with them
>>
>>59036995
So they can update firmware and totally NOT spy on you or your browsing.

I used to have Optimum online 25/5 connection and even if I was only getting 3MB/s, it let me use my vastly superior WRT-1200AC router and linksys 8 port switch.

When Verizon came through and starting tossing their 100/100 connection for price match of what you already have, I couldn't resist. Now I'm stuck with a garbage tier wireless router that needs to be restarted once every 2 weeks. It gets hot, has no active cooling, and I can hear fucking coil whine when running a speed test if I'm standing next to it. It's router page is SHIITT. No option to turn off WiFi broadcast. The password for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz band have to be the same as well.

Lastly the way they force you to keep their garbage router is they connect the wireless router via coaxial from the modem rather than a CAT cable like anyone else would have. Said router is also responsible for TV channel information so you can't just go replacing it unless you want to lose all info. As far as I know, Verizon is the only company around me that does this bullshit.
>>
1. The $10 monthly fee (or whatever your ISP charges you rent it)
2. Remote service capabilities so they can remotely update firmware, restart it, etc.
3. To prevent you from getting around their artificial speed caps
>>
File: 1460404966323.jpg (40KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
1460404966323.jpg
40KB, 500x390px
>>59036995
Originally cos support costs. Only need to train script monkeys to support provided models. Everything else not supported.
>t. former script money wrangler
>>
>>59038152
isp can view what ur doing anyway
>>
>>59038258
Yea I know. But at the same time, I should be allowed to use any tech I want. Modem, router, switches, etc. I shouldn't have to dance around their garbage policies.
>>
>>59038326
my internet and tv are bundled so i have to use their router

it sucks
>>
>>59038345
I got this internet for myself mostly. It's my folks place so they want TV to watch their law and order.

In my own place I've yet to decide on my ISP. I have no intention of paying for cable/TV plans at all. Wonder if that'd change how they let me use my own stuff.
>>
I have my own cheap ass router and use it with time Warner.
They give the option, except for Verizon
>>
>not stealing the neighbor's WiFi
Do you even /gee/
>>
>>59036995
>Surely it has to be deeper than the money
Everything comes back to money. Spying, market control, the flat fee of having 10 dollars a month. it all comes back to money.
>>
>>59037004
Good goy
>>
>>59036995
What the fuck are you talking about? I can use whatever router and modem I want with Comcast.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.