[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does /g/ have any experience with hdmi/vga converters? I need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: hdmi2vga2-700x490[1].png (180KB, 700x490px) Image search: [Google]
hdmi2vga2-700x490[1].png
180KB, 700x490px
does /g/ have any experience with hdmi/vga converters?

I need one and apparently I need an active one. I can get pic related for very cheap but apparently they don't *always* work as intended. Can anyone help?
>>
>>59036515
No personal experience with those but if you find one with 400+ mhz pixel clock, please do tell.
>>
Use a dvi to VGA adapter, they are more reliable
>>
>>59036515
They are always active because HDMI is digital and VGA is analog.

AFAIK they should always work up to at least full HD.
>>
>>59036540
They also appear to be a bit more expensive and almost everyone universally on random shitty forums recommends the HDMI. Fair enough though anon.

I'm basically trying to connect a 1080p monitor with VGA only port to a now ancient hd6870 which has a DVI-D output (second of the two dvi outputs).

And being a poor piece of shit that I am I really want to get the cheapest possible option.

>>59036557
Uhhh isn't "active" meaning that it has its own dedicated power supply, either in the form of USB or DC adapter.
>>
>>59036540
Only when you have DVI-I (digital + analog) or DVI-A (analog)
Since those can use passive adapters.

With DVI-D you need an active adapter and I don't think they are any more reliable than HDMI adapters.
>>
>>59036613
>Uhhh isn't "active" meaning that it has its own dedicated power supply, either in the form of USB or DC adapter.

No, fortunately they are powered by the HDMI port.
They are "active" in the sense that they have a chip that decoded the digital signal and converts it to an analog signal, but they can make those chips very low power now.
>>
File: 41RMPDNYWxL.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41RMPDNYWxL.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
>>59036613
>has a DVI-D output

You should definitely use a passive DVI to VGA adapter then.
They should be about $3.
>>
>>59036515
The cheap one I got a while ago had terrible colors but other than that there weren't really any other problems. Maybe you could find one that's well reviewed or something.
>>
>>59036751
Oh, sorry, somehow I read that as DVI-I

Yeah, you need an active adapter.
>>
>>59036515
This is why DisplayPort has supplanted HDMI, since it can output VGA properly using only a passive converter.

Truth is, they don't always work properly, but often do. Sad!
>>
>>59036751
You are wrong, I'm pretty sure. DVI-D sends digital only and therefore one like you posted surely won't work. I know because I just tried like 5 different ones and thats exactly why I made this thread.
>>
>>59036751
That adapter is DVI-A, anon. It won't fit a DVI-D port, never mind work in one.
>>
Ask a dongle pro Apple customer.
>>
do you need to plug an HDMI pc into a VGA monitor or vice versa?

If you need to go VGA pc -> HDMI television, then you'll need one that also has a USB power source.

If it's HDMI laptop -> VGA monitor then you need the one in the OP.
>>
Never had a bad one, friend only ever had bad ones.
Just be prepared to refund one or two if its fucked. Also, they get fucking hot and give off artifacts till they cool down.
>>
>>59036515
Have one. works good.
Doesn't do 1080p60hz though. But I can't complain since I literally paid $5 for it.
>>
File: ss+(2017-02-20+at+08.57.30).jpg (32KB, 562x425px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-02-20+at+08.57.30).jpg
32KB, 562x425px
Thanks for the replies lads, for once /g/ was legit helpful.

I just ordered pic related, went with DVI to VGA after all.

Hopefully its not too different and too fucked up since I have two exactly the same screens and it will trigger me but I guess I will have to see for myself.

It was 10$ in euromonies for what its worth.
>>
>>59036515
I have a DisplayPort to VGA adapter that I bought off ebay that looks exactly like the pic and it works just fine
>>
I've been using one for about a year, no issues.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.