[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

donald knuth appreciation thread? donald knuth appreciation thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: knuth.jpg (620KB, 1817x1666px) Image search: [Google]
knuth.jpg
620KB, 1817x1666px
donald knuth appreciation thread?
donald knuth appreciation thread.

>phd in math
>basically invented modern programming with his book series The Art of Computer Programming
>didn't like the type setting programs of the time, so he invented TeX in 1978
>this still creates more beautiful documents than MS Word, even though they have spent billions of dollar developing it
>funny in a geeky way, gives a free hexadecimal dollar (aka 256 cents) to people who find mistakes in this texts
>fights against software patents, but he has not gone full freetard
>showers everyday
>>
>>59031605
>basically invented modern programming
Wrong.

>no mention of literate programming
You failed.
>>
>>59031605
yeah all this is good but Knuth's books are practically unreadable, he always acts as if anyone can easily read them but it's total bs. So even though I respect him a lot I know his books are totally a waste of time.

http://rs.io/hard-books-overrated/
>>
>>59031660
Brainlet detected.
>>
>>59031660

>Knuth is hard

Have you read any of the Springer GTM series? Some of the introductory material I have for algebraic geometry makes Knuth look like a walk in the park.
>>
>>59031776
>>59031800
Of course the geniuses of /sci/ and /g/ think Knuth is probably highschool level. Yeah, I'm a math student, I don't think the content is particularly hard I just think he does a terrible job explaining things.
>>
>>59031660
what a moron. comparing textbooks to "design of everyday things" which is meant for a general audience. this guy probably complains research journals are too hard too and that's just bad user experience
>>
>>59032191
Lol, actually I didn't realize what kind of books those were. Regardless, I think the ratio between amount learned/time spent learning is much higher with easier textbooks.
>>
>>59031605
/sci/ know it, /g/ are kids love gadgets.
>>
>>59031660

I read the one book he wrote about bitwise tricks and techniques

I only understood a tiny bit. However, I got enough of it to know how to implement some of the bitwise tricks it talks about so it was helpful

What's the deal with Surreal Numbers? Seems like some kind of rule 34 tier visual novel about numbers
>>
>>59033356
surreal numbers is a novel about the set of surreal numbers
>>
>>59031605
He's smart and respetable, unlike other fat faggots
>>
>>59031605

> TAOCP
> volume 5 of 7 planned for 2025
> Knuth is super smart and awesome, but old
> Knuth already has a foot in the grave

What is going to happen?
>>
>>59037986

should we tell him?
>>
>>59037986
He's definitely not going to finish it. I'm sure he has the drafts and content all planned out and maybe someone else could finish it.
>>
>>59033170
Buddy, sorry to burst your bubble but /sci/ is equally retarded. The only different is that /sci/ is pretentious and more insecure and always desperately trying to prove that they're not dumb.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.