[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give me one good reason why I should run Desktop Linux on bare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: vmware-tools-install.png (203KB, 812x725px) Image search: [Google]
vmware-tools-install.png
203KB, 812x725px
Give me one good reason why I should run Desktop Linux on bare metal as opposed to in a VM.

And I do mean Desktop Linux. I already have a few personal servers for running websites and UNIX programming.
>>
Everything will work faster, sometimes some linux DE will be extremely crisp and easy to run, but it'll always lag on VM.

Personally I got sick of dual boot after my last data loss.
>>
- Faster
- Better security
- Better integration
- More control over your system
- It is fun
- Privacy and freedoms respected
>>
>>59011901
You become an anomaly in the botnet. You won't exist.
>>
>>59011901

Windows monitors your VMs

>>59011945
>Personally I got sick of dual boot after my last data loss.

Don't know what dual boot has to do with data loss but instead of "dual boot" in the traditional sense I like to have my OSes unaware of each other. Windows on one drive and then when I install GNU/Linux I unplug all my other drives so the installer/GRUB don't try to configure around Windows. Then I pick a boot device from the BIOS boot selection instead of relying on a bootloader.
>>
>>59011945
This, I'm on a T420 that came with win7, didn't realize how slow windows really was until I put Ubuntu on it, I'm using Arch now, I still am in a dualboot with windows 7 and only use it to play league, windows is so slow though.
>>
>>59011963

>- Faster

VM's are fast enough.

>- Better security

This is a dubious claim. I haven't gotten a Windows virus since Microsoft got serious about security circa XP SP2

>- Better integration

What?

>- More control over your system

What control do I need over my system that Windows does not afford me?

>- It is fun

What fun could I have with a Linux desktop that I can't experience in a VM?

>- Privacy and freedoms respected

I have no problem with telemetry in software in general. I did hear a bunch of whining about Windows 10 specifically, and after doing some research I concluded such claims were FUD and "Well, we can't say 100% for certain that it ISN'T spyware" sort of conspiracy-theory-that-happens-to-support-my-narrative bullshit.

Then again, I'm also the kind of person who installs the debian popularity contest package when I install it.
>>
>>59011901
Audio hardware is emulated, if you want to do recording you will face lags.

I do lots of development stuff and exposing Linux in a vm is not as straightforward as you wish. You can do network bridging but this is not working always for me.
>>
>>59011901
Meh that sounds like what I do
>>
>>59012407
>VM's are fast enough.
then why ask the fucking question you fucking retard. just use a VM with lxde or bare openbox and it'll be fine
>>
File: ricky-pants_off.jpg (52KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
ricky-pants_off.jpg
52KB, 500x379px
>>59011901
>Give me one good reason why...

Why do so many god damn threads start out with this? No one here is a salesman. Why is it our job to sell you on using something?

Either use it or don't. Try it and if you like it, keep using it. Frigg off
>>
>>59011901
Why you want people try to convince you to use OS you don't want to use?
Do whatever the fuck you want.

These anons are real autists here...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.