[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think about these? $124 and all you need to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 816axFrbD9L._SL1500_.jpg (132KB, 1500x1036px) Image search: [Google]
816axFrbD9L._SL1500_.jpg
132KB, 1500x1036px
What do you guys think about these? $124 and all you need to do is add your own ram and a storage disc then run Linux. Seems like a cheap and good option if you just need a little shitty computer for a monitor.
>>
I'd rather get a Thinkpad
>>
>>59009637
getting one to play media on my TV
>>
Get a thinkpad and don't add your own ram and don't add disc. Then run Linux. Like damn nigga just plug that shit in and it already has a monitor n shiet.
>>
>>59009649
>buy a beat-up jizz-covered old TBlazeIt
>shove it in a corner and plug some bullshit in
>three years later it dies
vs
>buy this thing brand new for the same price
>still working perfectly 10 years on
>no jizz stains, even
>>
don't have to get a NUC, there's thousands of sbcs, ARM ones are cheaper from smart phone economies of scale
>>
>>59009722
Could these run simple games like rocket league?
>>
>>59009765
Doubtful, the higher end Skullcanyon NUCs *maybe* can, but those are expensive to boot.
>>
>>59009690
Media centers are fucking worthless in 2017. Just get an Amazon FireTV or an Android TV box and save yourself money, time, and effort.
>>
File: thinkpadweapon.jpg (412KB, 755x961px) Image search: [Google]
thinkpadweapon.jpg
412KB, 755x961px
>>59009715
>buy beat up think pad
>plug in power cord and install gentoo
>20 years later it still works and is usable because every year intel puts out a new socket with 1% increase in ipc
>use it to kill your wife and the police confiscate it as evidence.
>some cop is still using it 40 years later after stealing it from evidence control

vs

>buy nuc
>buy parts
>spend as much as you would on a barebones pc
>can't install gentoo because it throttles
>could have just bought a raspberry pi or five
>>
File: 1479766348080.jpg (143KB, 1615x998px) Image search: [Google]
1479766348080.jpg
143KB, 1615x998px
>>59009870
>Raspberry PI, lapdock, USB battery, memory card, various cables
> less than $100
>>
>>59009834
Then you would still have to get a secondary computer for managing your torrents and serve files to the the MPV or whatever
>>
>>59009948
the Plex*
>>
I'm getting an Udoo X86 when t comes off preorder.
>When your technophiliac life makes you get a job to support it
But, hey paycheck.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (102KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
102KB, 1000x562px
I own a fanless one, wifi was a little bit shit but I'm happy with my purchase.
Have a 2TB HDD and a 64GB SSD sitting in it, use to host a old game server on it which wasn't compatible with linux.
Nowadays it's just a torrent box.
>>
>>59009948
You mean the computer you use normally?

>serve files to the the MPV

Modern devices don't just navigate through folders like a god damn neanderthal. They're library based.
>>
>>59010058
That would mean keeping my computer on 24/7 for the file transfer and then having to keep it on during service

Would be nice maybe to do it with a raspi or whatever and then amazon fire TV to do the files maybe
>>
File: ew60.jpg (20KB, 446x354px) Image search: [Google]
ew60.jpg
20KB, 446x354px
i rather buy an ITX mobo with a power brick and pic related case
>>
>>59010281
This. Build your own and it will have much better specs and you can actually use it.
>>
I can't rly find a use for it. If I wanted a box to play hd movies on my tv, or even 4k movies, the cheapest NUC couldn't handle it.
You'd have to get a higher spec'd one.

Why would you buy a computer just for shitty tasks when you could just use your own? I already have older pcs I could repurpose as media players.
>>
shills out in full force

could do a scrap build with better performance for less $ fuck off panjeet
>>
>>59009637
or you could get all of that stuff premade for 180

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M24W77N/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NIJOURPN19DX
>>
>>59009947
my nigggaaaaa.

I've owned three lapdocks. Had to get rid of two because am poor :(
>>
>>59009947
Wow, that sure looks practical.
>>
File: 510+-n8UmxL.jpg (37KB, 500x500px)
510+-n8UmxL.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
>>59009637
I used one of these as a UTM for a little while but now I have a more powerful box for that. Trying to figure out what to do with this thing now.
>>
>>59010281
>lewd!
>>
>plug phone in to monitor
>$10 for cables
woooooooooow
>>
>>59009637
You can get a dell optiplex 7010 for $60-$100 on eBay and Craigslist. Probably a better value purchase.
>>
Seems kind of like an awkward middle ground between a Raspberry Pi and an actual computer. I'm sure SOMEONE can find a use for it, but I can't really think of any.
>>
>>59011717
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not
>>
NUCs are anything but a "little shitty computer".

I have 3, I love them. ARM SBCs n shit have too many platform issues. You'd be hard pressed to find a linux distro that doesn't work on intel x86.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.