[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

C++ thread? So I fell for the C++ meme, and started learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: CPlusPlus.jpg (36KB, 433x455px) Image search: [Google]
CPlusPlus.jpg
36KB, 433x455px
C++ thread?

So I fell for the C++ meme, and started learning it. Mainly because many of the domains I'm interested in use it heavily, and I think I've learned enough hipster languages for now.

Sadly I'm still on windows due to linux driver issues, and I got the msvc compiler by installing the free version of visual studio. I'm having quite a lot of trouble installing libraries to get stuff done, and still haven't gotten QT to work yet. = /

Most languages I've worked with had a nice package manager that came with the default install or build system so I'm not really used to this kind of fiddling. Is there any package manager for C++ libraries which works reasonably well on windows? I'm open to changing IDE or using commandline + emacs, as long as I can get a working setup.
>>
File: g-side.png (260KB, 498x1480px) Image search: [Google]
g-side.png
260KB, 498x1480px
your first piece of mandatory reading
>>
>>59005350
You need MingW on Windows to work with QT.
I hate this fuckery that you need to completly different compilers to get everything working sometimes in the same project
>>
>>59005363
That... is actually scarily accurate.

With that said, I found coding in C++ to be a lot less tedious than I expected thanks to the new stuff in C++11/14. The lambda syntax is butt-ugly but they make writing C++ code a lot less painful than it used to be. I just solved a few problems by writing higher-order functions and passing closures to them. Translating a solution to a problem I had solved in F# only doubled the linecount.

I'd love to have pattern matching like Rust though. =,(
>>
>>59005350
you could download a VM and install linux on it perhaps. Pretty sure it's still faster than loading up visual studio
>>
>>59005350
>>59005514
This is why I laugh whenever someone says that hipster language X lacks good libraries. Hipster languages that make it to the top 50 usually do so because their community isn't fragmented and the language toolchain is easy to use. There are no "available in theory but not in practice" libraries, while older industrial languages tend to have overcomplicated toolchains, and whenever someone inevitably wants to improve it, it splits the community.

The best deal for productivity is an ~eight year old hipster language which is in the top 40 language list and which was designed for roughly your usecase. By that age these languages usually have okay bindings for the core libraries you need, simple toolchains that don't overcomplicate things, and tight-knit helpful communities.
>>
>>59006119
You are right. Thats why Python rules.
>>
>>59005350
What books about C++ are good to read for beginners ?
>>
>>59006415
I found Stroustrup's "Programming principles and practice using C++" to be very valuable. The first few chapters are really basic, but I found the later chapters to be really useful.

It's generally aimed more at teaching programming principles rather than learning the C++ language, though. Kind of like a more practical version of SICP that doesn't assume that the computer is some abstract machine outside of the real world.
>>
>>59006599
what about online resources? anything worth recommending?
>>
>>59006415
Deitel's
>>
I cannot solve problems for the life of me but love programming. Will I improve with time and effort? I am willing to keep trying but I would like to be sure it will be worth it..
>>
>>59005350
>Sadly I'm still on windows due to linux driver issues,
hyper-v and just install obantoo.
>and I got the msvc compiler by installing the free version of visual studio.
As far I understand unless they've changed it the past few years it's the same that comes with all visual studios.
>I'm having quite a lot of trouble installing libraries to get stuff done, and still haven't gotten QT to work yet. = /
Installing libs can be a bitch in windows but having the libs in the path variable or make a new lib variable should be enough. And how can you not get QT to work? Just install the precompiled version and you should be pretty much done.

>Most languages I've worked with had a nice package manager that came with the default install or build system so I'm not really used to this kind of fiddling. Is there any package manager for C++ libraries which works reasonably well on windows? I'm open to changing IDE or using commandline + emacs, as long as I can get a working setup.
I don't understand. Just use cmake or qmake.
>>
>>59005585
The hardest part about C++ is dealing with old people coding C++. They can't adapt despite company policies demand new code to use C++11/14. They keep using old dangerous concepts one shouldn't use since the newer standards of C++ fixed it. They throw around raw pointers and even refuse to use references.
>>
>>59005350
>Most languages I've worked with had a nice package manager
fuck lmao
>>
>>59006599
That book is really good. As you said the first chapters are really basic but the later ones are really useful and helps you get into how to code modern C++. Even I that have 20 years professional C++ programming experience found it really useful. I made sure we got a copy at work and use it for the internal course material to get up to date on C++11/14 features.
>>
just practice. C++ is a really good foundation to learn other coding languages
>>
>>59005350
I started learning it from Sroutroupsmememan's book in july as a frist language, I'm starting to get solid at it.

Also use Qt creator, its easy.
>>
>>59005363
>programming
>being in control of something
Lmao how's your first year of coding?
>>
>>59005363
Whenever I'm jealous of the top kids in my CS class, I tell myself this.
>>
File: 1487463346465.png (100KB, 1244x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1487463346465.png
100KB, 1244x1024px
>>59005363
followed by
>>
>>59008453
In what sense do you consider yourself inferior to those kids?
>>
>>59007104
I tried running qmake in one of the default projects in QT creator, it crashed on me. Googling the error got me a stack overflow question from someone with exactly the same problem that I had, but when I clicked the link, I saw that the question had been deleted by mods. FML.
>>
>>59007220
Rust Cargo, Haskell Cabal, Python's Pip or anaconda, Julia's package manager, Lisp's quicklisp, Clojure's Leiningen, R's CRAN, list goes on. It's perfectly possible to learn a wide range of very different languages without ever encountering a language without a widely used package manager that does the library installation for you.
>>
>>59008905
so? this c++, a REAL programming language
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.