[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>been programming for 2 years >still working a pathetic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1475244974592.jpg (7KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
1475244974592.jpg
7KB, 213x237px
>been programming for 2 years
>still working a pathetic life at a factory

How do I grow as a programmer and get a job without having to go through University?

I mainly have only messed around with Java and scripting in Python. I've made Twitter spam bots. I've made a stock screen application that automatically compiles different valuation formulas of all stock tickers and sorts them by the best. I've messed around in speech recognition to develop an AI that simply opens applications and does Google searches by voice command. But none of this gets me any phone calls when I apply for jobs.
>>
move somewhere with a booming startup ecosystem, they don't give a fuck
>>
>>59002523
Apply for jobs in larger cities, commute for a couple of months if you cant find an apartment
>>
Fire at the side.

>company looks for veteran developers
>assume they need a rookie to do boring shit with old code
>present yourself as that
>>
>University taught programmers

Might as well go to India if you're already after the shittest
>>
File: 1464061169625.jpg (18KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1464061169625.jpg
18KB, 400x300px
I'm a dropout who's been programming for 2 years, and I'm working as a software engineer.

I think I made it because I mostly focused on things that college doesn't teach well (or at all.) That ended up being javascript and front end dev.

I started with """freelancing""", then went to a hackathon and got an internship, kicked ass at the internship, and got brought on full time after.

Hackathons are a good way to network and get noticed, not just by companies, but by teammates. I got my internship from a teammate who thought my skill set was a good fit for the company he worked for. He recommended me, and that was enough for me to get in.
>>
Your projects are on Github right?

You should check out what kind of frameworks your local jobs require the most (e.g. Spring for Java, or Django for Python) and learn (one of) them.
I'd also recommend that you setup a website for your projects
>>
>>59002523
Upload personal projects to Github you retard. If you already have and you still can't figure out what to do then you should kys.
>>
How long does it take one to become "experienced" enough to get a job without a degree? I've been programming in Java as well, mostly making Minecraft mods. I was thinking of making various small open source enterprise tier applications to host on GitHub and network from there. I've started programming about 7 months ago. Currently a NEET.
>>
>ce degree
>been programming for 10 years
>working as a software engineer for a well known company
>after work go back to my expensive apartment in the middle of the city and fap to cartoon girls drawn like teenagers

life is pretty good desu
>>
Reverse engineer shitty phone games, write a bot for them and start developing and selling accounts to people.

One retard actually paid $1k for a shitty account on a new server
>>
>>59002523
try /r9k/
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.