[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes SystemD so bad? The REAL reasons: >1. It is too

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: Terminalicon2.png (493KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Terminalicon2.png
493KB, 1024x1024px
What makes SystemD so bad?

The REAL reasons:

>1. It is too mainstream, I am a special snowflake, Won't use Arch or 'flake distros, they are too different. SystemD made my distro different and I just want to go back, I keep telling people linux is about learning but I won't learn this because hey I'm better than you

>2. Jerked off a little bit too hard with other hippies in the forums with distros with professionals making these choices and I think I'm in charge

>3. It's just too new, I'm a neo-luddite and don't like very small changes and improved speed, however I don't see anything wrong with grub2 from grub or lilo or pulseaudio or fucking anything else because I didn't jerk off with other hippies at the time and didn't have any false sense of self importance. Now I spend most of my time googling "HOW TO INSTALL GRUB2 MODIFY ON SYSTEMD WHICH SUCKS DEBIAN UBUNTU REMOVE PLEASE HELP"

>4. Linux is about freedom, which means freedom to be a loser and retarded hipster and the freedom to make a shitty hipster nu-distro that nobody uses and will die in less than 5 months
>Hold on, just a second.

>>Crashes straight through brick wall as legs are instantly broken but the momentum keeps him going
>>"LENNART LUNNART LENNURT LANNART LAN-NART LUNART LUNERT LEN-NART Sksjidjidjijdsfksjlk!!!!!!!!!!!"
>>Stops at giant buildings made out of redhat and debian making a fucking catastrophic amount of money
>>Losing blood really fast
>>"nooooooooo give me a fucking job noooooooooo im better than u let me be ur sys ad min noooooooooo"
>>"muh fukkin way of liiiiiiiiiifeee!!!!!!! was slightly changed!!!!!!!!"
>>Slowly passes away into the night and the police have to wait for him to rot because it just smells so fucking bad
>>
>>58997301
I dont really have a problem with systemd I just like OpenRC and init.d scripts better, its just easier to manage, especially since I deal with both GNU and UNIX
>>
>>58997301
Good thread. I don't think anyone here actually thinks systemd is good but they're forced to use it through shitty foresight of devs.
>>
>>58997352
systemd is far from perfect but it's certainly an improvement from sysvinit.
>>
It has absolutely zero effect on me. It it can run initscripts, then systemd can run anything.
>>
>>58997301
Go to bed Lennart
>>
>>58997943
This.

Tbh I wish redhat would just be upfront and fork linux
>>
>>58997452
It's a shitty improvement, the only reason we all use it is because Redhat actually funded somebody to change sysvinit to allow for easier automation of cloud bullshit, and there was no money/desire to make a different init so systemd it is no matter how horribad it keeps becoming
>>
>>58997452
>systemd is far from perfect but it's certainly an improvement from sysvinit.
It would be fine imo if a sysvinit replacement was all it was. But that isn't what it is, and that's why it's a problem.
>>
>>58997301
Can someone explain to me what systemd is and what it does?
>>
File: 1476547781609.png (368KB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1476547781609.png
368KB, 2000x1250px
>>58998405
From wikipedia
>>
File: 1486538711306.png (37KB, 440x248px) Image search: [Google]
1486538711306.png
37KB, 440x248px
>>58998424
also dis
>>
There are no capitals in systemd, also what's your job at redhat?
>>
>>58998424
>>58998436
so it's bad because it does many things?
>>
After I read the Arch developer post about SysD I'm sure it's legit
>>
>>58998424
>>58998436
hi anon, any good books or articles on what the directories in / are used for?
>>
>>58998453
Tbh I don't know if it has merits technically or whatever, but personally it makes me uneasy that it both wants to have control over so much of a linux box it's on, and that so much depends on various parts of it & the parts depend on the whole, essentially necessitating every linux user who wants to use any packages to be running systemd.
Redhat has basically coup'd all the boxes.
>>
>>58998469
Have you tried looking in them?
Or googling?
>>
>>58997301
I'm less concerned with what it is, and more concerned about what it's trying to become.
>>
>>58997301
Kek, so true.

Neckbeardos be buttblasted.
>>
>>58997301
Strawman: The post

Ironically it's done so badly it makes systemd advocates look defensive.
>>
>>58998489
And yeah, basically the goal of systemd is to standardize the system or environment that normal user-level programs run in on linux systems, so you don't need to do much/any work to get your linux program to work on a bunch of/all distros.
Which sounds nice but then if you don't like how systemd does something you're fucked because everything depends on it, much like on windows/mac
>>
COMPLEX
COMLICATED
PEER REVIEW IMBOSSIBRU
INTENTIONALY KILLS FORCES INCLUDES OTHER SOFTWARE PROJECTS
or in sjw feminism terms
R A P E
A
P
E
/thread
>>
File: 1477134967768.jpg (29KB, 462x461px) Image search: [Google]
1477134967768.jpg
29KB, 462x461px
>>58997301
>>
File: File.png (332KB, 718x484px) Image search: [Google]
File.png
332KB, 718x484px
>>58998469
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/linux-file-system-structure/?utm_source=tuicool
>>
>>58998580
shill
>>58997452
No doubt it is better than sysvinit, but even upstart is better than sysvinit. Systemd should be compared with Runit and OpenRC instead.
>>58998708
>>58998489
It tries to do too much t b h. If it breaks it is heartbleed all over again, and big programs are easier to break, which is why EVERY programming design paradigm that is successful employs minimalism and code reduction.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.