[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I started reading this book and it says to use a now discontinued

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I started reading this book and it says to use a now discontinued board (the spartan 3 starter board)

What do I actually need to properly use an FPGA, what all goes into the actual programming and I/O of it? I want to use them but I am confused at the place to start. Also if anyone has any info on where I can pick up this board and all the peripherals that be great.
>>
>>58982028
You need to program with VHDL and for I/O I think you'd use assembly but not sure
>>
>>58982073
But how do I actually interact with the FPGA? What is a good FPGA to sue in relation to this book? What do I need to make those $25 FPGAs actually programmed and take input and give output.
>>
>>58982181
>But how do I actually interact with the FPGA?
Commands over a serial port usually. Most FPGAs have a software package to do this for you.
>>
>>58982197
What is a serial port? How do i connect that to my computer?
>>
>>58982218

>What is a serial port? How do i connect that to my computer?
Here's a book that's more your level, OP: http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781250065001
>>
>>58982218
>What is a serial port?
Stop using FPGAs
>>
>>58982181
Papilios have USB on-board, and a bunch of snap-on daughter boards you can buy with Mickey-mouse peripherals. I'd avoid boards which are JTAG-only, especially for a beginner.
>>
>>58982640
the whole point is that im interested and wanna learn about em, if there are things I need to learn before them then I am happy to learn
>>
When you program the FPGA you can direct the output bits from your top level design to specific pins of the chip which correspond to whichever I/O you are using

Get a board with an altera or xilinx fpga, maybe one of the new SoCs that comes with an ARM processor on-chip

Then just do some tutorials and projects and shit. I recommend checking university websites for digital design classes and trying those
>>
>>58983721
>im interested
Lol, no, you are not.
You are just making up excuses and wasting your life on 4chan.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.