[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been doing a lot of research on how the Internet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: Gliwice_Radiostacja_DSC_9386.jpg (1MB, 2593x2594px) Image search: [Google]
Gliwice_Radiostacja_DSC_9386.jpg
1MB, 2593x2594px
So I've been doing a lot of research on how the Internet works and was wondering if it would be possible to send digital information without the use of an ISP. According to my research, an ISP is just a company that helps you transmit your information over long distances in the same way that you pay a post office to send your message over a long distance.

However, I am aware that the radio waves used by cellular companies can reach around the globe. Amateur radio operators do this all the time. They pay for a licensing fee to use the air waves, but they don't have to go through an ISP to transmit their data. I am also aware of "packet radio" that can transmit messages and slow-scan television (SSTV) that can transmit images.

But what I'm wondering is if there is a way to transmit digital data in large amounts either wirelessly or not without having to go through the ISP? I heard that if you know a server's address, your packet is sent directly to the server without going through the "sorting facility" that your ISP runs. Is this true? If I connected directly to a server, would the ISP be able to see my traffic and bill me for the data usage?
>>
>>58980610
>>However, I am aware that the radio waves used by cellular companies can reach around the globe.

of course they cant. ever wonder why you dont get signal everywhere? or why there are so many cell towers around you?
>>
File: average jew.jpg (48KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
average jew.jpg
48KB, 640x640px
>>58981903
Well I have my suspicions...
>>
>>58980610
look up how wifi works, and then look at how much a mesh network would cost to set up.
theoretically, if you had enough people join in then you could have a massive network throughout your town, and if enough towns joined in then you could have nationwide coverage. 100% free to use wireless network for the whole country
>>
>>58980610
OP you sound like a retard noob but I'll help you on your quest.

in very short, the internet is built on a foundation of university and government nodes now making up what we consider the internet. using techniques including BGP and ANYCAST you are routed through this network to your destination. In a sense like an automated version of those old school phone operators.

What you are proposing is/has/can be done but it's a bit misdirected in terms of what you are applying as the bigger picture. For $3000 you can launch a lo orbit satellite and make your own ghetto space network if you wanted too.

Just wiki/google/youtube it. In the end it pretty simple.
>>
Itt: OP has no clue about anything related to data transfer
>>
There are so many wrong things with the OP that I don't know where to start.
radio waves can't reach every location in the globe. Otherwise you could tune to chinese radio. They have a relatively well defined range they can reach.
> I heard that if you know a server's address, your packet is sent directly to the server without going through the "sorting facility" that your ISP runs.
What the actual fuck? The IP address? that is handled entirely by ISPs. The only way you can "connect directly to the server" would be a physical link such as an ethernet cable or an ad-hoc wireless connection (I feel I need to say it must be within range because you seem to ignore this fact).
> If I connected directly to a server, would the ISP be able to see my traffic and bill me for the data usage?
That's a stupid question.

If you want to make an alternative network, you still need all the network infrastructure.
>>
your ISP is more akin to the streets you drive on and the USPS.

Can you send a letter without riding on government-funded streets and without the USPS? Yes.

Is it easy? No.
>>
>>58980610
Well if you are aware of the methods to download images via ham then you should be aware that the radio bands hams use don't have the bandwidth to carry your average Internet speed. If you want to go back to dial up then maybe it is possible.
>>
Walk up to someone and give them a USB drive. Congrats, you just sent them digital information without using an ISP.
>>
>>58982184
Drone deliver a 4tb drive to my dad's house. Congratulations you are now the fastest Internet service provider.
>>
File: harold.gif (607KB, 256x512px) Image search: [Google]
harold.gif
607KB, 256x512px
>>58980610
>>58980610

OP ignore everyone being negative towards you in this thread. Yes you are wrong about almost everything you said, BUT it's good that you asked.

Asking questions in order to learn is a good thing. Keep on askin
>>
File: 1484334193780.jpg (17KB, 256x352px) Image search: [Google]
1484334193780.jpg
17KB, 256x352px
>>58982378
>deliver to my dad's house
how old were you when your parent's divorced? it must've been hard on you
>>
>>58980610
>I heard that if you know a server's address, your packet is sent directly to the server without going through the "sorting facility" that your ISP runs.

The internet stands for inter-networking. It's simply a bunch of networks connected together. In order to access the internet, you need an access point, aka a point of entry. This is your ISP, or a public WiFi hotspot. This point of entry will route your request to another router upstream and so on and so forth until your IP destination is reached, such as a server.

tl;dr
If you never get on a network with access the internet, then you can't reach devices on the internet.
>>
>>58982570
>keep on asking

agree, but do it in the stupid questions thread. don't shit up the board with your half baked quarter thoughts.
>>
Packet radio can be sent long distance, otherwise just use wifi with your neighbors.
>>
>>58980610
>I heard that if you know a server's address, your packet is sent directly to the server without going through the "sorting facility" that your ISP runs.
All data incoming and outgoing from your modem passes through your ISP. They know exactly how much data you download or upload.
>>
Google Balloon internet is using LTE.
If you are going to create an alternative to the internet (well with a intranet), then you will need it.
>>
Don't let these faggots get you down, OP. It's totally possible to get on the internet without paying. All you need to do is run a bigass network. Specifically, your network needs to be sufficiently bigass that other network providers aren't going to ask you to pay, because you'd ask them to pay just as much (and it would be worth it to them to pay up).
>>
>>58980610
>If I connected directly to a server, would the ISP be able to see my traffic and bill me for the data usage?
no
>I heard that if you know a server's address, your packet is sent directly to the server without going through the "sorting facility" that your ISP runs. Is this true?
no

a "direct" connection in this context would mean one that has a single "hop", as in, the packet leaves your machine, travels over some type of physical layer, and reaches the intended target computer, with nothing else in between
this only occurs in cases like two machines connected together with an ethernet cable (or to a hub), or two machines on an adhoc wifi network

connecting to a machine via an IP address across the internet requires several hops, such as;
your machine > your router > your ISP's router > various intermediate routers > your destination machines' ISP's router > your destination machines' local router > your destination machine
every router between you and your destination can see and measure your traffic and data
>>
>>58982582
Are you retarded? Genuine question. Maybe next time put a little efford into the shit jokes so that they actually make sense, yeah?
>>
>>58983482
You'd still have to pay for IPs, for colocation, for equipment, for licenses, ...
>>
File: 1473817280937.jpg (55KB, 472x620px) Image search: [Google]
1473817280937.jpg
55KB, 472x620px
>>58981997
>$3000 to launch a low orbit satellite
seems legit
>>
File: buttposting.jpg (11KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
buttposting.jpg
11KB, 300x250px
>>58982582
Not everyone lives with their parents until they're forty, captain autismo.
>>
>>58986887
Just take up rocketry and git gud
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.