[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GO game development Is it ever gonna happen? Given a good game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: C11jfp0UoAAWNQa.jpg (40KB, 600x684px) Image search: [Google]
C11jfp0UoAAWNQa.jpg
40KB, 600x684px
GO game development

Is it ever gonna happen? Given a good game engine, is golang a viable alternative to c++/c#/c? Or maybe better ? I've only been coding for 3-4 months and im curious what the more seasoned devs might think

Pls be objective
>>
>garbage collector
get fucked
>>
>games
your thingken of rust
>>
>>58980134
t. golang dev:
I would say as a language its quite well suited to game dev, being GC'd with static analysis is going to make all the CPU side code a hell of a lot easier to write and debug. The current issue is accessing the graphics APIs, they're designed with C/C++ so if you're used to writing go it can be quite a pain to use one of the auto generated bindings to opengl as there are no real high level wrappers that don't dumb down the pipeline too much.

The problem is it's still to early, most go games are going to be based on this: https://hajimehoshi.github.io/ebiten/ as it's the only decent lib written so far but it has some weird constraints if you're not trying to make some indie retro trash.

>>58980246
no one has ever written anything in rust, it's a meme
>>
you can do game dev in

D / Go / Rust / Ruby / Python / Lua / C / C++

all have SDL2 / OpenGL bindings which is all you need
>>
>>58980403
Idiot. Don't label yourself as a golang dev, people will think the rest of us are the same as you.
>>
There are a lot of (indie) games written in c# or javascript so if there are good gamedev libraries for go people will probably use it.
A thing that might get in the way of development is the errors that go gives for trivial stuff (unused variable, unused import). I think the average indie gamedev would put the language down because of this, they aren't that skilled in programming and get annoyed easily.
>>
>>58980134
>3 years of distrohopping
Stopped at Ubuntu GNOME
>8 years of programming language hopping
>tfw still haven't found my favorite language
I finished studying (most) of Golang specs in this year, what's the next step for me?

I'm tempted to Rust, to be honest.

>What I liked about go
Easy. It's intuitive, simple and better performant than Oracle Java and Microsoft Java. The language is easy to develop with and the compile time is blazing fast.
If I ever see Google Android is pushing Golang and Gootools to develop Android Apps I will definitely come back to Go.

>What I don't like about Golang
It pretends to be a general purpose programming language while it's actually more (actually most) focused on writing web apps.
I have almost no use for Network/Server side language. I'm interested in desktop/mobile applications.

Golang does not have a complete gtk3 binding. As I am writing this today Go 1.8 was released and it has no focus on GUI libraries/utilities.

However Rust has a complete gtk3 binding, people actually wrote wayland window managers with Rust.
I don't expect Rust to be well suited for Android development but I'll enjoy writing small applications for Linux with Rust.

Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>>58980403
>no one has ever written anything in rust, it's a meme
Sure, it's not like actual 3D games, engines and libraries written in Rust actually exist. Oh wait..
>>
>>58980134
>Is it ever gonna happen?
of course
it has lowest latency times out of games used for game dev already like c# and has a better memory model where you can control allocation/deallocation
>>
>>58980145
Minecraft is written in a language with a GC you retarded cunt
>>
>>58987628
that's why I has shit performance for what it offers
>>
>>58984827
I wrote GTK and network apps alot in C. Sounds like C is just the language for you desu, you should browse gtk/gobject documentation for C and see for yourself
>>
>>58980134
Programming languages and their frameworks are just tools for achieving the required goals for your task

You wouldn't pick assembly for web development and you wouldn't pick c# for low level embedded systems, if you have a clear vision of the game you're trying to make you should pick the game engine and language most suited for the goal

And if GO is a must then make a game engine yourself
>>
>>58980134
I've done some stuff with sdl2 bindings. In my opinion, Go isn't really geared for it. there are faster languages for rendering engine development, and more abstracted languages for mechanics, scripting, etc.

it would be my first choice for a game server though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.