[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a fresh computer science graduate. Is it possible to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: shutterstock_59132401.jpg (204KB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_59132401.jpg
204KB, 500x369px
I'm a fresh computer science graduate. Is it possible to apply for a senior developer position and get the job rather than going for the junior position and working my way up?
>>
>>58977713
HAHAHA
Enjoy Starbucks, kid
>>
>>58977713

people actually study CS?!

lmao

do you know that Gender Study grads take a 2 week HTML course nad get hired by google nowadays

enjoy your worthless degree faggot
>>
>>58977713
If you think you are good enough for the senior role, then apply for it

Most senior roles are aimed towards people with industry experience, so they can help junior developers out. Unless you have actual experience working in a field for a few years I doubt they would accept you
>>
>>58977842
>>58977764
Fuck did I fall for the CS meme? I gotta change majors now.
>>
>>58977713

where do you sit on a scale of fat white white autist to black wheelchair bound female?
>>
>>58977713
Yeah uh no you faggot you work your way up like everyone else
>>
>>58977842
This is a meme post but there's a lot of truth to it. Everything you need from your CS degree can be learned in 1-2 weeks in your spare time. Most places don't even really require a degree--you just have to have some apps on the app store or whatever.
>inb4 triggered autists who wasted $40k on a meme degree
>>
>>58978052
Dont change majors because of a shitty /g/ thread
>>
Short answer, n o.
You don't have the basic experience in a real workplace. You're good, but you still NEED real world experience.
You want a well paid junior position.
>>
If you have a portfolio of projects or contributions that are actually good then ya maybe. If you have no work experience or examples of your skill level then I doubt it
>>
>>58978052
Learn math, distribute systems, machine learning.
>>
It's not like you can't get well paid jobs in a junior position though.
I started out on $26k/y. After two months and being able to effectively take on the role of a senior developer, I was earning 32k/y.
Even if you start on a low (I was happy with it to be honest) wage, if you prove your worth, and you're a part of a half decent company, you'll get paid what you're worth.
>>
>>58977713
CS graduated don't know programming in real world, need years of experience.
>>
>>58977842
Any proof that fags who take a short course actually get hired by Google (as something other than a janitor perhaps)? Also if that works you'd expect a lot more people doing it...
>>
>>58978076
I'm a white 21 year old 5'8 manlet who looks like he's sixteen because I avoid the sun, alcohol, drugs and lift 3 times a week.
>>
>>58978303
>graduated at 21
Just Bachelors?
>>
>>58978205
26k a year is like minimum wage lmfao
I would not accept an offer under 80k
>>
>>58978387
wages have gone up lots in the last 10-15 years, and there's no way you'll be getting 80k to start
>>
Experience > Skills
>>
>>58978387
Epic for the win.
I'm talking about britfag wages converted to USD.
Honestly, living at home, with what I earn I have 400 GBP disposable income a week.
It's pretty comfy.
>>
>>58978364
Yes, I am a Britbong, so 3 years = BSc. Not sure if it's different for you Americucks.
>>
>>58978412
You must not be very good at your job then, I started at 70 and have bonuses and profit sharing, and am well over 130 now. Thnks gov contractor life
>>
>>58978221
>Also if that works you'd expect a lot more people doing it...

thats the thing here

it actually doesnt work when you "try" to do it

the way it happens is this:

>be rich liberal kid
>daddy pays for ivy league or similiar (Stanford etc)
>decide to waste daddys money on emem degree like Gender Studies
>2016 happens
>SJW is the thing
>be leading voice on campus for liberal shit
>Google constantly on campus anyway
>Google decides to join the movement
>hires you to do some dumb shit nobody ever hears about like HR
>learn "how to code" from real google engineers, shitpost on Twitter about how you are owning a field dominated by white males
>>
>>58977713
Well you can certainly apply. Just don't expect any calls.
>>
>>58978431
I'm europoor too, just surprised you're aiming at Senior position with Bachelors.
>>
>>58978052
Lol no.

CS is probably the best major rn if you want a job, but you gotta work your way up and build experience. It's not like you're gonna be hired the day after graduation with a pay of $150k unless you're extremely good or have really good grades.
>>
One of my dreams is to immigrate to the USA, the only realistic option to doing that as a white UK citizen seems to be requesting a transfer from a company that has a branch in the US. Anyone have any knowledge or experience on this? How likely / unlikely is the company to transfer you? Even if you have a few years of experience with a company I cant imagine them doing you a "favor" and transferring you to an American branch just because it's your dream or whatever.
>>
Sitting here in Operating Systems, bored as fuck
>>
>>58978808
I'm a white European citizen and I applied to the tech giants who sponsored my visa and green card
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.