[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could mind/consciousness uploading ever work? Let's say

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: brain-comp-661470.jpg (35KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
brain-comp-661470.jpg
35KB, 590x350px
Could mind/consciousness uploading ever work?

Let's say you were able to upload your mind and die in the process, wouldn't mind in the computer simply be a copy of yourself with different experiences?
>>
>>58976977
No. You are what you are because your brain is a physical structure. Its pure hardware, it has no code, or OS. You cant upload physical matter into digital. You can maybe copy your self into digital pattern, but since your physical brain will remain, that will be you, and when that dies, you cease to exist.

You would essentially need to replace every neurons, and cell in your braind with artificial components, and when your entire brain is artificial, then you dont have to worry about dying.
Then the problem essentially becomes the ship of Theseus paradox. If you slowly replace every part of your brain with an artificial one, are you still you?
>>
>>58977078
>You cant upload physical matter into digital.
but what if we could
>>
>>58977120
If you're just going to come up with fake possibilities for fictional view of the universe then yeah you might aswell say you can do whatever the fuck you want. But as it stands, that's a total nonsense idea with no basis in reality.
>>
>>58977120
It would have to be some form of Cut and Paste. Each physical neuron would be digitized, and the original neuron would be destroyed.
But that sounds like you are making a copy of a component, and then destroying the original.

Again, this concept would reference the Ship of Theseus.
>>
>>58976977
>>58977078
>>58977120
>>58977164

dont you guys have better thing to do with your life then arguing about something like that?
>>
>>58976977
>>58976977

OK, see it this way: you upload your brain into the computer but don't die in the process, who do you think you are going to be? The same person you have been your whole Fucking life or the copy based on variations of on and off in a computer?

Next: you make a video of yourself and in the process you die. Are you going to exist in the video and solve crimes and smoke a pipe?
>>
>>58977199

>he asked while browsing 4chan

Kek
>>
>>58977199
shut the fuck up
>>
File: 1486783156846.png (447KB, 863x641px) Image search: [Google]
1486783156846.png
447KB, 863x641px
>>58977078
I read that a while ago. I wonder how/if your consiousness would remain if you slowly replaced every brain cell with artificial ones, and ended with a synthetic brain. Would your actual consciousness remain?

I want to have this done to me.
>>
>>58976977
>wouldn't mind in the computer simply be a copy of yourself with different experiences?
Yes.

For all intents and purposes the uploaded copy would be somebody else who is you, they would have all your memories and experiences up to that point but they would be someone completely different who acts and thinks just like you do.

So if you die your clone would be wandering around being you, while you basically blink out into darkness being dead.
>>
transhumanism will never work because the sun will consume the earth
>>
>>58976977

Why won't you grow a copy of your brain and upload your consciousness to that? Then you could live inside a clone body over and over again.
>>
>>58978648
your brain wouldn't survive without your other organs
>>
>>58978648
Brain is pure hardware. There is nothing to copy to it. The way the neurons organized themselfs, and made connections is you.
>>
File: 1484745640237.jpg (127KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1484745640237.jpg
127KB, 600x450px
>>58978496
neuroscientist here
this guy has the right ideea
assuming we can develop nanotehnology to such a degree that we can fully replicate neuronal function then yes, by replacing each neuron, one by one as they die, everything that makes you you would survive indefinetly... assuming we'd be doing that to your other cells too because why live with a synthetic brain but no synthetic penis?
>>
File: roboweller.jpg (438KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
roboweller.jpg
438KB, 1200x675px
>>58979060
>synthetic penis
>>
your brain is not a computer.pdf
search it
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.