[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does IBM do nowadays? They've kinda just faded from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1379520595934.jpg (13KB, 195x213px) Image search: [Google]
1379520595934.jpg
13KB, 195x213px
What does IBM do nowadays? They've kinda just faded from the media when they stopped working on PC hardware
>>
Just because they're not making consumer shitboxes anymore, doesn't mean they're not active.

They still pull massive government contracts, they more or less run the mainframe market and is still a major player in the server market, they do system Z, they do software (db2 is more or less Oracle's biggest competitor for database), they're still probably doing genome-related shit, and they offer an ever-loving metric fuckload of different general IT services such as consulting and support.

Oh, and IBM Watson is definitely still a big thing, I suppose you've heard about that one in the news but left it out.

With $80b revenue and 350k (give or take a couple thousand) employees, I can assure you they are alive as fuck and certainly doing shit.
>>
>>58975730
Don't forget the Lotus Suite.
>>
>>58975782
Meh, I just gave an example of the software they do. Truth be told they do too much shit to post about.
>>
>>58975582
>it's another "thinktard believes PCs were ever a significant part of IBM" episode

Consumer desktops are a race to the bottom and a shitty business for all but a few megacorps that can sell in high enough volume to offset the pathetic profit margins.
>>
>>58975983
Originally, IBM wanted to avoid PCs becoming a commodity. They failed; customers were buying PS/2s by the truckload.
The antiquated IBM admin system wasn't designed to handle such volumes and a seperate system had to be developed. It was a good system that worked well but had its issues.
IBM never made a profit off PCs. They didn't sell them at a loss but costs in the system ate up any profits. Plus there was a big backlash against PCs inside IBM.
The clones and compatibles drove the price down making it harder to sell at a reasonable margin.
No wonder IBM sold the PC to Lenovo, who immediatly dropped the quality to make the price competitive.
>>
>>58975983
This. PCs never mattered in the long run. They were just a tool to make money to fund real technological progress. IBM is one of the few companies actually developing new technology.
>>
>>58975983
public perception of tech has been twisted towards a "consumer first" mentality. if [company] isn't providing cheap car rides, food delivery, streaming video, or phones and laptops to *me*, what good are they? joe netflix-and-chill just doesn't think about the mainframes his bank/insurance/medical/tax/wage/etc info sits on, nor the support and maintenance to keep them at ~100% uptime. ibm ain't going anywhere
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.