[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /G/ think about moderate sized PC's without the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: hdd-ssd-2.jpg (110KB, 1000x545px) Image search: [Google]
hdd-ssd-2.jpg
110KB, 1000x545px
What does /G/ think about moderate sized PC's without the standard high capacity hard drives?
With the falling prices of M.2, and 2.5 inch SSD's; Do you guys think this is era that kills off the mechanical hard drive...? Especially since we can fit multiple terabytes on one M.2 SSD now...?
(In my personal build, I have a 240GB M.2 SSD, and a 500 GB 2.5 inch SSD)
>>
>>58973272
I am sure the mechanical hard drive will die off within the next 20 - 30 years, but what do you mean by a moderate sized PC? With the cost per gigabyte with normal HDD's why would you not stick a couple of terabytes in a Mid ATX tower PC?
>>
>>58973345
I see what you mean.
My pc is a Full ATX tower, but I hate the way Hard drives, and disk drives look. I would much rather have discreet and hide-able SSD's.
>>
>>58973272
Long term reliability is still a big issue for SSD. Traditional magnetic HDD will function pretty much perfectly until the motor starts to fail, which on some models can be decades. High capacity SSD have a limit on the total number of writes and also a limit on length of time they can hold data while completely powered off.

For most consumers this isn't an issue, but until SSD move away from flash memory onto something else with better durability and data retention, they'll still be a place for HDD.
>>
>>58973481
I agree completely, but for some the high speed and skydiving prices are too much to want a slightly slower, but more reliable form of saving data.
>>
>>58973272
I thought about omitting a HDD in my most recent build but I'm too much of a data-hoarder. However I suppost when I get a NAS up and running it will help with the transition.
>>
>>58973481
even for moderate business use the write endurance isn't really a problem. Had a set of Crucial M4's in 3 servers, in raid 1 without trim, no overprovisioning for 5 years. (1 domain controller/file server, 2 database servers) and they still have enough write endurance left to serve another 20-ish years of their current workload. Small company though, about 50 people.

Huge workloads like datacenter shit is a whole different ball-game though.
>>
>>58973272
My SSD makes low pitched hissing-like noises. Same with memory. What is this sound anyway?
>>
As long as the cost per GB of spinning rust is still less than an SSD, it will never go away. There's an everloving shitload of data out there, and I'm not talking about personal machines. When you need to store the amount of data we're talking about, saving half a cent per gigabyte makes a huge difference.
>>
>>58973401
I almost took this thread seriously.
Almost.
>>
>>58973272
I think they're great because a HDD can be hooked via USB c
>>
>>58973650
I like the clean look of having so hard drive cages in my PC. A minimalistic design (E.G. A micro ATX motherboard, one powerful GPU, a hidden PSU, low profile ram, a large case window, some nice RGB ambient lighting, no HDD's or disk drives in sight) inside of a large case looks tight as fuck to me.
But we all have different opinions when it comes to personalizing your rig.
>>
>>58973733
No*
Not so.
>>
>>58973272
Sure you can fit a few terabytes on an M.2 drive, but that is like almost $1500.

Until those SSDs hit price parity I will forever have spinning rust inside any desktop I build. even a mini-itx build
>>
>>58973481

>Long term reliability is still a big issue for SSD

This isn't 2006, retard. Modern SSDs can withstand decades of writes. You will most certainly upgrade them long before they falter. Mechanical drives are ridiculously delicate, they can't be trusted and data recovery from them is harder than doing a NAND dump if a controller chip fails.
>>
>>58973908
Sure SSD can sustain decades of writes.

> Mechanical drives are ridiculously delicate, they can't be trusted

Almost all the shit you store online is on a mechanical drive, its all about redundant backups for important shit on SSD or HDD

>NAND dump if a controller chip fails
NAND can fail too, backup regularly you don't have to use data recovery if its that important too you
>>
Best is to just have both. Laptops made in the last 4 years support mpcie ssds so you can have both even on a laptop
>>
>>58973733
Ok, look. Let me answer your original questions.

>What does /G/ think about moderate sized PC's without the standard high capacity hard drives?
Makes sense if you're not storing big files. 64 or 128gb drive on an office pc, for general use, storage is on NAS' and servers, and for home, browsing, saving a couple thousand images, sure. I still wouldn't use high capacity SSDs for hoarding data, that's just plain stupid. I'll explain why later.

>Do you guys think this is era that kills off the mechanical hard drive...?
I don't know what do you mean by this era. Yes, eventually, SSDs will reach a price point where buying an HDD for any use will be stupid. I'm thinking maybe at 0.09$/GB most home and office PC's will only use SSDs. Screencap this.

>Especially since we can fit multiple terabytes on one M.2 SSD now...?
It's not the size, it's the price that matters.

SSD's are at 0.295$/GB, while you can get HDD's for 0.054$/GB.
They almost cost 6 times as much, which is pretty fucking much.

Today it's really stupid to use SSDs for hoarding data. Believe me, I love the performance of these drives, they can revive 10 year old notebooks, it's awesome! And they're comletely silent! I hate loud HDDs. But it doesn't worth it if you're just downloading some movies, watch them then delete them, or store hundreds of GBs of data and not touch them for years.

BUT if you're a ricing enthusiast, you probably don't care about price, you've already spent at least a hundred dollar on a PC case, and even more on a pretty mobo, spent hours sleeving power cables, managing cables, leds...
If you're going for the looks, and don't like the looks of big bulky HDDs (they're not pretty, that's true), then it's perfectly reasonable for you to go for SSDs.

Generally it's not reasonable.
>>
The fucking games become larger and larger in size, also thanks to lazy programmers.

You pretty much still need a 1TB+ HDD.
>>
File: file.png (99KB, 1676x599px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
99KB, 1676x599px
>>58974381
>The fucking games become larger and larger in size
No they're not
>>
>>58975718
>248.5 GB
Feels bad
>>
File: 8569279110_88e5de8ae2_b.jpg (200KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
8569279110_88e5de8ae2_b.jpg
200KB, 1024x683px
>>58975718
> No they're not
Post image of a linear third Person Shooter (Gears of war 4) Being 248.5GB.
Assuming you had a 480GB SSd (which costs about £120+ on Amazon) You'd fill half of it. Holy shit. 248.5 GB Is no Bigger than every other game before it.
> (Pic related) MFW I saw this guy
>>
>>58973272
Hdd's are too cheap and last a lot longer than ssd's
>>
File: 1466263773218.png (191KB, 445x472px) Image search: [Google]
1466263773218.png
191KB, 445x472px
>>58973272
Mic dropped
>>
>>58973776
Actually there's some cheaper M.2's now

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1285932-REG/crucial_ct1050mx300ssd4_mx300_1tb_ssd_m_2.html
>>
>>58973272
Mechanical drives will always have their place. Just like tape drives are still used in big data centers for long term high capacity storage.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.