[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's stopping you from switching to Linux? Most of what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: 1486946831022.jpg (105KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1486946831022.jpg
105KB, 1080x1080px
What's stopping you from switching to Linux? Most of what I use my computer for is watching anime and MPV sucks ass compared to something like Kawaii Codec Pack. Also I don't have a spare hard drive to install it on and I don't want to compromise my privacy by partitioning a Windows drive to run Linux on.
>>
cute cade
>>
Software
Stability
>>
AutoCAD 2017 cannot run under Wine.
>>
I play overwatch with friends on weekends
>>
File: 4d97.png (141KB, 742x828px) Image search: [Google]
4d97.png
141KB, 742x828px
>>58968204
>What's stopping you from switching to Linux?

>2017
>still an issue
>>
Nothing. I already switched.
>>
well for starters I'm not a virgin
>>
>>58968277
>Using Nautilus
Top kek
>>
>>58968277
Linux still has this fucking problem? I remember being very annoyed by this many years ago when I tried it, among many other things that still haven't been fixed.
>>
>>58968204
Partitioning doesn't compromise security, what are you talking about?
Just do it from within windows if you fear it might lead to data loss.
As for setting up mpv, either ask someone how or read one of the thousands of guides there is on the topic.

>>58968277
You could use KDE if this bothers you.

>>58968266
Dual booting is less of a hassle than you think.

>>58968254
First valid reason.
But do you use this privately as well?
I mean, I get that you use it at work, but do you need it on your own computer?
>>
>>58968204
I use CAD software that's only available on Windows
>>
File: Screenshot_20170119_162517.png (406KB, 1865x831px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170119_162517.png
406KB, 1865x831px
>>58968381
>You could use KDE if this bothers you.

KDE alone will not fix it. The problem is still present in Kubuntu, Neon and most other KDE distros. In fact, the only one that has proper implementation is openSUSE KDE
>>
>>58968277
Things like this are why I don't get people dumping on KDE all the time.
>>
>>58968436
that's because you need to patch firefox.
you can get the QT file picker on firefox on any distro, if you're not lazy.
>>
>>58968443
>you can get the QT file picker on firefox on any distro, if you're not lazy.

you can also handwrite linux drivers for all your unsupported hardware if you aren't lazy.
>>
>>58968381
>you could use KDE
Has KDE suddenly stopped being a buggy piece of shit that segfaults at the drop of a hat?

>dual booting
It's a massive hassle, actually. I much prefer running Linux in a VM - no rebooting, no partitioning, no wasting disk space, no having to fuck around with obscure configuration options to get my Bluetooth keyboard running, and so on. And it's not like you'll ever use the GPU for anything on Linux, so you're not missing much.
>>
>>58968204
I haven't gotten around to setting up a dual boot. Additionally I get what I need from using VMs.
>>
>>58968204
Nothing, I switched to Linux already
>>
>>58968277
Not a problem on xfce and cinnamon
>>
Hey /g/, random question and i didnt want to make a thread. Can someone see my browser history through a wifi connection? Like lets say I went to /pol/. Can the owner of the wifi see that I went on /pol/ or just 4chan?
>>
>>58968204
I'm on linux. Now can't switch back.
>>
>>58968540

I've been using KDE on Arch for years now. There was a period when "Plasma" first came out that everything was a shitshow, but it's been pretty fucking stable for at least 30 months.
>>
>>58969278
Yes, anyone with admin access to the router is able to see what specific sites your devices has visited. Next time use a vpn.
>>
>>58968277
linux is a shitshow for autistic communists.
>>
>>58969278
Also this is windows on both ends if that matters

I tried spent some time researching packet sniffing but I have no idea how much info it shares
>>
>>58968204
>Kawaii Codec Pack
7/10 bait.
>>
File: troll-dad.png (10KB, 100x97px) Image search: [Google]
troll-dad.png
10KB, 100x97px
systemd.
>>
>>58969257
yes it is... you just little tiny 10 pixel "thumbnails" at most with image preview in the sidebar. it looks NOTHING like >>58968436
>>
>>58969336
Sorry just trying to figure out how much information. Like lets say I'm admin and I know someone has uploaded nudes to a private imgur album am I able to see the exact link to said nudes?
>>
>>58969410
And would i need some sort of program?
>>
File: dispose_body.gif (109KB, 500x298px) Image search: [Google]
dispose_body.gif
109KB, 500x298px
>>58969428

Quit trying to hack your sisters nudes you sick fuck.
>>
>>58969278
If using HTTPS, the owner can only see you're visiting 4chan. (That is, talking to boards.4chan.org:443 and i.4cdn.org:443). If not using HTTPS, literally anyone on the route between you and those servers can see all your traffic.
>>
>>58969410
Only your router has url logging enabled. Otherwise, your ISP may keep logs, which you could attempt to request. Honestly you may as well just be upfront with your sister about this, maybe she'll let you feel her up.
>>
I`m using UNIX and don`t want to switch to Linux and anything other housewife`s OS
>>
>>58969450
In all honesty its the other way around and there is someone who is very intrusive on my network and im worried about my own privacy. I dont spend any time on /g/ so I dont know how the board works. I just needed to attention whore. I am basically looking for how much info someone can obtain as an admin of the router on my network. Can they see absolutely every page I access?
If i go to to wikileak.xyz/randomshit can they see I went on wikileaks or can they see if Ive been on wikileaks.xyz/(the page I was on)
>>
>>58969467
How do I know if I'm using HTTPS? Im computer illiterate.
>>
File: retard.png (2KB, 142x38px) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
2KB, 142x38px
>>58969514
>>
>>58969529
Alright thanks for your help

And to everyone else who commented
>>
>>58968463
LINUX HAS 3 TIMES MORE DRIVERS THAN EVERY WINDOWS VERSION COMBINED. JUST LOOK AT KERNEL, LOOK
>>
>>58969917

there is no "simple patch"

The only "simple" solutions are...
1. Arch AUR has the openSUSE KDE version of Firefox available for downloading.

2. There is an old ass patch someone made for GTK2 that requires you to use the shitty GTK2 fork of Firefox which sucks for a host of reasons.
>>
File: a.png (184KB, 1286x673px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
184KB, 1286x673px
>>58969795
the linux distribution is literally mostly drivers
>>
>>58968204
I already have switched

What the hell do you mean by compromising your privacy by partitioning a Windows drive if you want to dual boot, you simply make unallocated space for it to your drive and make your partitions there. Windows can't do a shit about your ext4 partitions or whatever you use as long as its not NTFS or FAT32 or whatever that pile of shit supports.

Wouldn't surprise me though if Windows started deleting partitions it doesn't recognize in the future, but you should be safe for now
>>
>>58968204
why would I switch from BSD?
Linux is a pile of shit as a desktop system
It's not so bad as a command-line only server but once you start adding graphical components into it youre fucked. It's the same as asking why would I setup home in a bike shed with a corrugated roof and plastic sheet for a door when I now live in a palace
>>
>>58968381
>Partitioning doesn't compromise security, what are you talking about?
NTFS is deeply insecure
>>
>>58969548
You are too nice for this place.
>>
>>58968204
I use AutoCAD, Photoshop and CorelDraw for work, and I need them to work 100%. And I do mean those exact programs, rather than the "freeware alternative that's 90% like the paid program but those 10% make all the difference" deal that Linux usually offers.

Also, nogames.

And the prospect of having to learn how to do the most basic shit an entirely new OS by having to look up forums and shit every single time something doesn't work quite like in Windows, which I've been using for the past 20+ years and have become completely familiar and comfortable with.

Oh, yeah, and there's also the small annoying shit, like the last time I tried Mint, and found out that I can't have the taskbar clock set up how I want it (and how I have it in W7), just because I chose the wrong desktop environment, and then finding out that none of the 4 or so available desktops would allow me to get it just right. Yes, I realize that with proper knowledge you can modify the fuck out of any distro to have it be exactly how you want, and that I could theoretically learn coding and make the taskbar clock (for example) be just the way I want it to be. But I've got neither the time nor the patience for that.

The most important reason, though, is that there isn't a single advantage that Linux could offer me over W7. And with no benefits and only drawbacks to using Linux over W7, there's literally zero reason to switch.
>>
I installed Mint on work PC once, configured it a bit, riced a bit and all... only to drop it completely after few months because every time I needed to do some job I had to switch to Windows anyway.

Seriously, I was one day trying to figure out why one of our programs for data handling refuse to work properly under Wine when I asked myself simple question - why the fuck Im even wasting time on it, when it will just work flawlessly under Windows?

And that was the end of Linux for me.

>>58971206

If this would only be 90%. I tried LibreCAD and FreeCAD and they were SHIT. Complete, utter shit.
>>
File: 1485184120563.jpg (31KB, 438x428px) Image search: [Google]
1485184120563.jpg
31KB, 438x428px
>when all the video game addicts are suddenly professional architects and mechanical engineers
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.