[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guess what: The next true hardware revolution is the memory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: Optane-Leak.png (358KB, 640x680px) Image search: [Google]
Optane-Leak.png
358KB, 640x680px
Guess what: The next true hardware revolution is the memory revolution and Intel is already leading there.
Real performance gains will come from all your data being in stateful RAM.
It is now time to wait for another year until the RAM revolution hits the market and we get super fast gains yet again, on par with how SSDs revolutionized the feel and speed of PCs.

Optane is the future. AMD doesn't even compete (literally).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/optane-3d-xpoint-intel-p4800x-cold-stream,33624.html

Are AMD fans just delusional or this is some kind of stockholm syndrome? Why would you buy a new CPU that is literally only as fast or slightly slower than current Intel CPUs?
I get that you may want an affordable 8-core, I truly do but that isn't going to help you with any applications *or* games, so what's the point?
>>
>>58962489
oh look it's another intel shill thread made by a hooknosed hebrew shill

sage and ignore
>>
>>58962537

classic shill tactic: Just accuse the other person of being a shill.
>>
>>58962489
>>58962537
>>58962575
Fucking shills.
>>
>>58962489
literally no reason to go intel anymore
they signed away our freedom with NSA, at least AMD you can actually bypass the inbuilt botnet. Intel have made it impossible.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 204x204px
>>58962595

prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that my Intel CPU sends any data to anybody.

oh you cant? wow color me surprised.

> Intel(R)_Core(TM)_i53570K_CPU_@_3.40GHz
>>
Sage, please.
>>
Whats is optane memory?
>>
>>58962595
>>58962627
I would ask him to prove that AMD lets you bypass it
I don't believe that shit for second
>>
>>58962489
>form factors
>pcie only
>not even as fast as ssds in the sane form factor
Holy fuck I didn't think Intel could get even more done for with AMD undercutting their prices by 70+%
Now they're putting out the second coming of RAMBUS
>>
>>58963268
same as optic disquettes

CDs, basically
>>
>>58963268

it's a new form of SSD that approaches speed of RAM, at which point all your applications will be super fast
>>
>>58962582
SHILLZORZ!!!!!! ZDDDD
>>
>>58963638
I already have ram that approaches speed of ram, and its not even fully used 99% of the time
>>
>>58962489
>Data Center Series

nice meme, make this thread again in 3 years when that opmeme shit actually hits the market
>>
>>58962489
We have memory covered.
cpu improvements have flat lined and intel is looking for the next best thing to stay in business because they know they arnt capable of competing in the cpu market anymore.

Intel knows the cpu market is now a dead end until fiber optic cpus or some new meme come around.
>>
Last time I checked, it was Hynix, AMD & Samsung that were the ones going with HBM and HBM 2 memory. Last time I checked, AMD had announced that they'd be making available AM4 motherboards that use HBM 2 memory later this year, in 2017, instead of DDR4. Hynix, AMD & Samsung have also announced HBM 3, GDDR6 and lower-cost HBM solutions for 2018 which will first roll out in the mobile/console space, and make their way to the desktop.

AMD already has a working strategy. Intel is dead in the water with their expensive shit.
>>
>>58966895
Doesn't this still require power? Optane is still long term storage
>>
>>58962489
>Real performance gains will come from all your data being in stateful RAM.
That's not anything big to be quite frank.
>>
>>58967551
Optane is literally only slightly faster than a 960 pro. Samsung ALREADY beat intel to market, and intel is shitting their pants since they realized people are not gonna pay extra for their garbage.
>>
>>58967726

Optane is 10x faster than an SSD, wtf are you talking about? can you not read a spec sheet?
>>
>>58967726
Literally this, why should I get Optane if I'm already using the 960 Pro NVMe which is cheap as fuck?

Intel is late to the game, unless they actually manage to implement a socket for their new storage that can actually deliver the "hurr durr it can be 1000x faster than NAND" speeds.

As things stand, this products is DOA, I'll look forward to it again when they actually hit the potential margins they claimed for marketing purposes.

>>58967821
Can you not read what he wrote?
The 960 Pro uses a NVMe socket on the motherboard which is a lot faster than SATA3, I get literally 3GB/s write/read speeds with mine.
>>
File: benis.png (209KB, 344x785px) Image search: [Google]
benis.png
209KB, 344x785px
>>58963297
>the second coming of RAMBUS
Fuck history really is a cycle.
>>
>>58967565
Get yo head out of the sand my dude.
>>
>>58967845
As far I remember the RDRAM days, they had more storage, were power hungry, had thermal issues and had higher latency than tradicional storage at the time.

Isn't Optane actually better in everything I listed above than 3D-NAND?
At least Intel claims it to be.
>>
Quantum computers are just around the corner*

*Corner may be located in far place
>>
>Intel
I get the need to be a shabbos goy ironically sometimes, but come on. Why would you want your computer to have a remote kill switch controlled directly by the Jews?
>>
but can it play cities skylines with mods at more than 50fps?
>>
Question, why the hell would Intel have to shill in /g/ of all places? It's fucking stupid, Intel owns 90% of the market. It's fucking stupid for them to have to shill at this point, and in /g/ of all fucking places.
>>
>>58962489
It melts if you use it for more than 30 seconds without giving it a 10 minute break. There's a reason why it's only going to be used in liquid cooled supercomputers.
>>
>>58968010

it's cooler than SSDs, thanks fakenews
>>
>>58962489
>375GB
>read/writes only on par with NVMe SSDs
>rated IOPs marginally higher
>RATED TO PULL UP TO 18 WATTS

Xpoint is utterly dead end. It has no future.
Intel wasted money investing in Micron's junk phase change memory.
>>
>>58968581

+ "The airflow requirement suggests that 3D XPoint runs relatively cool"
+ "3D XPoint offers almost 21x more endurance than NAND"
+ "In other words, the DC P4800X has an almost magical latency profile" (you know: that thing that actually counts in real applications, how often do you write 2GB files)

You don't actually read the article.
>>
>>58968667
>believing marketing spin

Low capacity, not significantly faster than NAND, ridiculously high power consumption.
Dead. End.
>>
>>58968667
>how often do you write 2GB files

Very often, my workflow includes all map outputs at 8K 32bit Targa.
>>
>>58968581
Oh wait, Intel created NetBurst of memory?
>>
>>58968689
>Low capacity, not significantly faster than NAND, ridiculously high power consumption.

lol XPoint 3D(!!!) storage is specifically created to have potential for more storage in less physical space than SSDs.

1. it is faster than NAND
2. it is much longer lived than NAND

All your NAND drives will die after 3 years. You will experience it, trust me.
>>
>>58969045
i still using my 5y old ssd.
>>
>>58969045
>>lol XPoint 3D(!!!) storage is specifically created to have potential for more storage in less physical space than SSDs.
Read your own shill slide in the OP.
It's not faster than NAND yet.
>>
>>58969991
near 7 year old here and I use it as a scratch disc to boot, still has a fuck load of life in the intel test thing is anything to go by.
>>
>>58967726
looking up reviews of 960 pro, look at this, 700mb sustained read, 600 write...

call intel all the names you want their pcie ssds are the only fucking things that sustain what they say on the box, good chance optane does as well.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.