[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How representative of programming is Matlab? I'm a ME

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Icon-Matlab_1_.png (43KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Icon-Matlab_1_.png
43KB, 256x256px
How representative of programming is Matlab?

I'm a ME freshman with no coding experience, and is in an intro to Matlab class. The material is still what I assume is babby's first code (just making scripts to organize data) but it's kinda fun, or atleast engaging. I doubt I would switch majors, but knowing code seems useful, so if it is similar, I would add classes without hesitation.
>>
>>58960566
Recent ME grad here, I think it depends on what you're doing with it, but it's representative enough. I went from C++ to Matlab and it was an easy transition, but that may not be true the other way around.

My ME curriculum let us code badly and get away with it, I've seen a good number of classmates program things in absurd ways would not scale well in terms of computation time, but the professors didn't know the difference because they were MEs first.

Knowing how to code is pretty useful for an ME if you have a need for system modeling or data reduction/analysis. It might be a good idea to gain familiarity with other languages or general programing concepts at least briefly, but it might also be a waste of your time right now to delve super deeply into other languages unless you have a good reason to, and in that case only do it if it is something that you think you would enjoy doing.
>>
>>58960566
Matlab is the worst shit i've ever programmed in. I would rather have some Javascript library that can make nice graphs.
>>
Fact: the average Matlab user is a much more sophisticated programmer than the average code monkey pajeet.
>This will trigger the code monkey
>>
>>58960566
Just use the free software GNU Octave.
They wanted me to use MATLAB in uni, but as far as I was concerned, Ocave did everything MATLAB was supposed to do, cost infintely less money, and respected my freedoms.
>>
File: 1296506184280.jpg (66KB, 481x636px) Image search: [Google]
1296506184280.jpg
66KB, 481x636px
>>58960566
>How representative of programming is Matlab?
It is turing-complete, m9
>>
>>58961462
Except that once you needed to do actual work in optimization, computer vision, etc, there was no other choice. Same if you need something like Simulink

No, Octave Packages are not that good as some Toolboxes, though the effort is greatly appreciated.
>>
Why not just use numpy?
iPython notebooks + numpy/scipy is fucking awesome.
>>
>>58960566
Can anyone recommend an alternative? Was about to use octave, but octave doesn't seem interested in letting me do perception shit.
>>
>>58961661
>>58961645
t h i s
Learn an actual useful programming language, and have fun with mathsu.
>>
>>58961462
I found that Octave lacked a lot of useful libraries, and can not recommend. If you're looking for a free alternative, I think Python (scipy, numpy) is way better than Octave, but Python is a larger pain in the ass than Matlab due to weird compatibility issues and library dependencies when you try to get fancy.

Don't get me wrong, I could finish most of my Matlab assignments with Octave, but when I went to compile in Matlab there were weird subtle differences, and when it came to programming my own shit, Matlab was way easier to use due to the available documentation.

Might as well just pirate Matlab if you don't want to pay for something.
>>
>>58961554
Brainfuck is turing complete. Turing completeness doesn't mean it's representative of programming.
>>
>>58961462
>Octave
>> P = [ 2 1 2 5 7 2 3 6 1 2 5 4 5 7 8 7 ;
>2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 5 5 5 6 7 6 7 7 ];
>> T = [ 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 ];
>> plotpv(P,T)
>error: 'plotpv' undefined near line 1 column 1

Don't bother with Octave.

>>58961683
Will this let me actually use matlab shit? If not why bother?
>>
>>58961593
Yeah, but the thing is, I don't think I'd ever need it in real life. I'm just doing it because that's what I have to do.
>>
>>58961738
>MUH MATLAB SHIT
numpy has everything you need faggot
https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/
>>
>>58961748
Considering that's what my teacher uses in artificial neural networks teacher uses and I'm too much of a newb to understand using anything, it HAS to support matlab shit. If I can't do basic shit like having plotpv work and doing perception and training according to what the teacher has shown, then its useless to me.
I don't have time to learn how to do the shit I'm being taught as well as learn alternative software for it.
>>
>>58961739
I'm tired of this argument.
It's NOT the University fault that you get a shitty and boring job.
>>
I had a job last year making user interfaces in matlab for an automotive production factory.

Matlab sucks fucking ass at anything other than data analysis of small to medium data sets.
>>
>>58961645
>i python
You mean jupyter
Thanks for your input gramps.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.