[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to buy/mod a Nintendo Wii PS2 and Xbox 360

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: softmod.png (23KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
softmod.png
23KB, 400x350px
I'm looking to buy/mod a

Nintendo Wii
PS2
and Xbox 360

to get the BIGGEST library of games
for the cheapest amount of money

I'll start with the Wii first because from basic reading, this seems to be the easiest to mod, and the BIGGEST library of games.

What kind of things should I be looking for to buy a modded PS2 and Xbox 360?

Also, is everything in the photo accurate? Ex: Can a modded PS2 play PS1 games? Can a modded 360 play the huge list of compatible Original Xbox games?
>>
Why I'm not interested in DS games: I stream games on Twitch, and buying a DS with a capture card is expensive as shit and having it modded as well would be a ton of money... not even sure if that combination of the two is even possible.

This list excludes the PS3 by nature.. but if there is a way to get PS3 games I'd do that.
>>
>>58954621
How about go to /v/?

Nintendo shits got perfect emulation. Sony shits (ps2 bellow) near perfect. Why dont just build a pc?
If its the console novelty you look for, wii is perfect, not sure about ps2, 360 only can play several xbox gigant titles.
Wii is the cheapest and the most games if you count wii+gcube+snes+nes title i guess. Wii and gcube is guaranteed perfect, emulated n64/snes/nes not sure.
>>
>>58954663
I do have a PC
But streaming + emulating needs a REALLY damn good computer

My CPU is an i7 4790k and on PS2 games for example, it lags. Also there is no such thing as 360 emulation.

So basically.. this would be even better, because no single game would cause my stream to lag. Also MUCH less tech difficulties because I'd be streaming these using the console + computer
>>
This would a metric shitload of games holy crap
>>
Wii emulates all cart systems up to ps1 pretty well. Arcade emulation is hit and miss. Easiest and cheapest to do.

4 port PS3. Easier to put a large hdd in. PS1 plays perfect, PS2 is pretty good.

Not sure about 360.
>>
Hacked ps3 can also play PSP games but who the fuck wants to play those.
>>
>>58954724
Just to clarify what you said, a wii can struggle playing virtual console games? Those games are typically old as dirt though.

Yeah I know nothing about the PS2 situation either.
>>
>>58954621
a 360 can run retroarch, mupen64, and pcsxr at near full speed thanks to it's beefy CPU

not the easiest to mod though
>>
>>58954747
yeah this list excludes stuff like a PSP because I had one back when they were relevant and honestly none of are worth playing anymore.

Even like DS games, the most popular ones are.. Pokemon. Not hating on Pokemon but it's really the same thing every few years.
>>
>>58954755
Would the quality of emulation (like game speed + graphics) be better on

An Xbox 360 running retroarch
Or a Wii running the homebrew.. softmod.. thing?

If I had to guess myself, I'd say the second one.
>>
>>58954724
Only several old fat ps3 type could run ps2 games if I remember correctly.
>>58954751
You underestimate how weak Wii hardware is.
>>
>>58954789
I don't think the Wii can do snes at full speed. 360 certainly can, even with rewind.
>>
>>>/vg/emugen
>>
>>58954747
The psp was baller as fuck. Fuck you nintendnigger
>>
>>58954671
Get a capture card, a gaming PC and a laptop. Connect gaming PC to a capture card and TV, then use some low end laptop to encode the stream
>>
>>58954868
I played through FF4 on the Wii, it's fine.
>>
>>58954621
FreeMCBoot's the best way to softmod your PS2, any PS2 you plug your memory card into is instantly modded (except for the very newest slims with a different case style). You won't be able to play PS1 games natively though, you can play them in an emulator but performance is poor. With a slim it's very easy to mod it for the swap trick and you only need one legit game to play all the games. I believe you can hardmod a PS2 for PS1 games in conjunction with FreeMCBoot but I'm not positive. If you use the swap trick you'll want a slim (you can do it with a fat but you need to do a bit more for it) but if you go the PS1 hardmod route get a fat so you can put your PS2 games on an HDD (or with the slim or fat you can play them off a server)
>>
Buy a Wii U which allows you to play Wii and WiiU and all the Wii emulators. Now is the best time to buy it.

http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>
if you're going to emulate anyway, why not just get a pc? (and maybe an xbox if you want the few good exclusives)
you can emulate nes/snes perfectly on a pc, and n64/gamecube/wii/ps1/ps2 decently
>>
>>58954789
Wii can't do ps1 at full speed, I've tried.
>>
>>58954751
Wii runs emulators fine, that guy is retarded
>>
>>58954671
>My CPU is an i7 4790k and on PS2 games for example, it lags.

Fuck off lol. I have an i5 4460 and can stream ps2 games fucking fine.
>>
I recommend a PS2 slim, as they're easier to freemcboot.

As for xbox, why bother?
You can play Halo on PC
>>
>>58954663
PS2 emulation is terrible.
>>
>>58956118
Slim's easier to do the mod but a fat's the better choice once you've got a modded memory card
>>
>>58956118
I thought the latest PS2 models couldn't be softmodded at all
>>
>>58956179
They can't, all fats and most slims can though.
>>
File: 15111603452_e5299ee6e4_b.jpg (148KB, 1024x558px) Image search: [Google]
15111603452_e5299ee6e4_b.jpg
148KB, 1024x558px
If you also manage to get a Nintendo 3DS and mod it, you get its entire library, entire DS library with a flashcard, entire GBA library, entire Game Boy library, entire NES library and entire SNES library... In a portable console. I think you can also emulate stuff like Sega Genesis. PS1 was on the works but I haven't heard progress out of it.

New Nintendo 3DS is the one you want. And any version from 11.2 downwards is easy to mod (11.3 was released like a week ago).
>>
>>58956204
Is there a list of which models can and can't be softmodded somewhere?
>>
>>58956218
New 3DS XL not as good or the same?
>>
>>58956219
Just stay away from the slims that look different. You'd know what I mean if you see one. I believe the ones with the redesigned case are the only ones that can't be modded.
>>
>>58954621
I've been searching for methods to hack a 360 recently, you might just be in luck.
The modchip you want to use is the CR4 XL.
The motherboards you want to avoid are the winchesters that cannot be RGH'd, and the zephyr and xenon boards that have lesser support for things and are harder to RGH.
The methods used are JTAG, R-JTAG, RGH and RGH2. The first two are only available to phats, but the rest work in all consoles to variying success.
You'll be soldering, there is no softmod for the 360.
Any dashboard is hackable.
If you get a phat model, get a Jasper. You can tell the motherboard model from the power rating sticker, along with the reason to get one; RROD is caused by overheating, less energy, less heat.
Forums to read: se7ensins, GBAtemp, realmodscene, Xecutor forums

>>58956218
This too.
I love my 2ds even if it's a little retarded.
Whoever looks into this, get a homebrew entrypoint asap. You can later spoof the firmware with it when going online, to avoid forced update
>>
>>58956254
>You'd know what I mean if you see one
I actually wouldn't
>>
>>58956280
Do you know what a slim PS2 looks like?
>>
>>58956235
Same, it's all the same.
The new model is slightly easier to brick from user error due to the need to downgrade to a firmware that never ran on the new, but it's definitely doable.
New will give you better emulator capabilities and better performance in some games, but there's some trouble with the CPU frequency settings.
>>
>>58956254
It's easier to say the model 90k slims, as that's just printed on the back like every other PS2.

But Slims are garbage anyway.
Fat models have the HDD bay and when set up properly (with Free HD, not MC, Boot) require no memory cards to function. If you're so inclined you can also use enough adapters for an SD card.

>>>/vg/hbg for homebrew/hacking/modding
>>>/vg/emugen for emulation/console edge cases
>>
>>58956219
>Is there a list of which models can and can't be softmodded somewhere?

All of the models can be softmodded as long as they are 11.2 or less https://3ds.guide/

>>58956235
>New 3DS XL not as good or the same?

Yeah, it's actually the best. I said New Nintendo 3DS as the brand itself. The tiny one works just as fine, but the XL obviously has larger screens.
>>
>>58954671
>>58956086
It does depend on how good the files are for ps2

Recently ive tries the .iso and actual disc in pcsx2 and found that the original disc runs better than the .iso

It won't always be the case ( especially if its a late release ps2 game )
>>
>>58956219
Check these out: https://3ds.guide/ and http://hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/index.html

Also, visit >>>/vg/hbg if you have any questions.
>>
>>58956286
Yes, I have one. But on a previous post you mentioned "most slims" can be modded, so I wouldn't know if the one I own is one of those. Not by just looking at it, at least.
>>
>>58956127
No it isn't. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn close.

OP, you should invest in a good PC streaming setup. If you're serious about streaming then the enhancements you can make through graphics plugins are worth it as opposed to just playing everything natively and capturing your television. Purists will disagree but fuck that noise.

PC emulation is basically perfect for PS1, PS2, GC, SNES, NES. I know Dolphin can emulate Wii games but not sure how motion controls work.
>>
>>58956323
There's an HDD based mod? Sweet. Can I just toss it on a flash drive and use FreeMCBoot to install it?
>>
File: ps2.jpg (65KB, 1000x991px) Image search: [Google]
ps2.jpg
65KB, 1000x991px
>>58956345
If it looks like every slim ever you should be good, if it looks like one of these retarded models with downs, stay away from it.
>>
>>58956355
At most you would just connect it to your PC (official PS2 adapter is IDE but chink is SATA) and flash an image that includes Free HD Boot and you're done.

Otherwise you'd have to go through the nightmare of installing Free MC Boot.
>>
>>58956383
I've already got FreeMCBoot, hence my asking if I can use it to install it. Should be less of a hassle than removing the HDD and pulling out an old shitbox that still has PATA.
>>
>>58954640
>I stream games on Twitch
NTR CFW will give you the ability to stream 3ds to your pc.
>>
>>58956400
I'm not sure how to do it from the PS2.

You'd be installing an "HDD update" (similar to how FMCB abuses updates installed on the MC) to it. There's a few partitions, and the files that go in them.
>>
>>58956375
The one in this picture looks like every slim ever to me.
>>
>>58956434
Either the model number printed on the back/under the system or boot to the main menu and press triangle.

90k models cannot be softmodded.
>>
>>58954621
> and Xbox 360
> to get the BIGGEST library of games
PS3 is better and you can even run Linux on it with Rebug CFW.
>>
>>58956440
>90k models cannot be softmodded.
Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. Looks like I'm shit out of luck.
>>
>>58956413
>NTR CFW will give you the ability to stream 3ds to your pc.

Not DS games. 3DS games and only using the New 3DS model. The original lacks CPU horsepower for that.
>>
File: ps2-slim-image.jpg (283KB, 2048x1025px) Image search: [Google]
ps2-slim-image.jpg
283KB, 2048x1025px
>>58956434
See how the face is all retarded instead of having the design of the fat PS2?
>>
>>58956258
>giving randos on 4chun good info
they're just going to shit it all up you idiot.
>>
>>58956474
>retarded
You keep using that word, I don't see what's retarded about it. It's just a little different.
>>
>>58956508
It's hideous. Regardless all you need to know is if it has the new design, don't touch it.
>>
>>58956496
This is the only place I can be useful to anyone just please let me this once
>>
>>58956508
fat ps2 is best girl
>>
>>58956514
Yeah I guess the glossy part isn't very pretty
On a related note, a friend of mine has a silver PS2, what a beautiful machine. Run like butter too.
>>
>>58956291
>>58956331
Thanks gents
>>
>>58954671
>My CPU is an i7 4790k and on PS2 games for example, it lags
Very few PS2 games are slow on such a machine. I was emulating PS2 on my old study laptop which I bought 9 years ago.
>>
>>58956794
Seriously this. Maybe Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, the Dynasty Warriors games with 1000 NPCs etc on screen, will have slowdowns. The majority of titles will not be a problem at all. OP is just being a hipster.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.