[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are computer power supplies still in this format? Why don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: standard-psu-100021930-orig[1].jpg (148KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
standard-psu-100021930-orig[1].jpg
148KB, 1024x600px
Why are computer power supplies still in this format?

Why don't they just make it "one" cable that feeds into your motherboard?
>>
>>58937875

if you knew anything about electricity you would know that not everything should run on the same voltage and amperage, and also, you need a ground.
>>
>>58937875
One cable does feed to your motherboard.
Brand name manufacturers make custom PSUs that meet their specific need, and have just enough cables to power the hardware they sell.

Otherwise there is a standard that everyone else conforms to, because its a standard and works well. Modular power supplies let you hook up only the power you need.
>>
>>58937895
Tell that to fucking thunderbolt you fucking idiot autist.
>>
>>58937875
because it doesnt work like that fuckwit. power is needed where power is used hence CPU power plugs and GPU power plugs. tell me this a bait post motherfucker
>>
>>58937904
a thunderbolt? it actually goes to a GROUND, you know, the surface? didn't think that through did you?
>>
File: fh.png (119KB, 671x318px) Image search: [Google]
fh.png
119KB, 671x318px
>>58937904
??????????????
>>
Mainly because interfaces like pcie are not designed to deliver lots of power.
>>
>>58937875
ITS DA JOOS
>>
desu why not make it wireless
>>
>>58937875
How many things do you plug into your motherboard?
How much do you trust your motherboard with an entire system of power flowing through it?
>>
>>58937875
Honestly, they need to redesign the 24 pin. Maybe cut it in three or widen and soften the plastic around it a little to avoid killing the builder's fingertips.
>>
>>58937875

>Why don't they just make it "one" cable that feeds into your motherboard?

Because components take a lot of power and for example a GPU can draw 20A+ current from the PCI-E power connectors. That actually requires decent gauge wiring and you can't really integrate that to a motherboard while keeping the cost reasonable.
>>
>>58937875
I'll take a crack at it with what limited knowledge I have.

There are generally only 2 or so sets of cables that go to the motherboard. The rest go to peripherals connected to the motherboard which can vary in quantity and location.

Having a new connector that allows the GPU to draw enough power through the motherboard could make the process more convenient. But slapping 2 or so PCIE connectors after slotting it in doesn't take long anyway.

Powering all peripherals though the motherboard could generate a great deal of heat increasing the cost of the motherboard the traces would have to be fairly thick with sufficient spacing or cooling solutions would have to be added, and all those power ports take up space as well increasing the cost of the PCB. Motherboards are allowed specific dimensions depending on target mounting bracket so more compromises would have to be made to compromise on space.

You would still have to deal with a spaghetti of wires if you have a lot of case mounted peripherals like HDDs and optical disk drives.

If it is implemented and all the power ports are on the motherboard then you will need to select a motherboard that can support all the peripherals that you want to connect to it which can vary from user to user.

There are other more effective means of reducing the tedium of cable management such as special compartments in the motherboard for wires and modular power supplies that allow you to remove power cables that you would not end up using.
>>
File: 04fig01.jpg (66KB, 500x576px) Image search: [Google]
04fig01.jpg
66KB, 500x576px
>>58937875
The simple answer: for custom AND backwards-compatible systems.

Our current design is based on a 1995 standard.

Pic unrelated.
>>
more effecient to have power brought directly to parts of the machine instead instead all through the mobo
there would be a huge issue with pushing 500w into a motherboard, in the form of heat formed by resistance

so its broken up, cpu power is on its own circuit, gpu power can feed from 24 pin mobo power via pci or it can go via pci 6 and 8 pin power cables, storage is on its own power, etc etc

its just to keep load spread out
>>
>>58938563
i always thought it would be nice to see a 90 degree 24 pin socket
so you could press in the connector with two fingers without straining the motherboard

or just have it split up into 10/10/4, like really old 486 era motherboards with the split main power cable
>>
They make modular psu with no cables and semi modular psu with only mobo and cpu cables. whats the problem?
>>
>>58938555
seems to work fine for laptops.
>>
>>58938563
how about let's keep using things that work instead of changing shit to satisfy your're autism
>>
>>58939019
My EVGA X99 Classified has a 90 degree power connector.
>>
>>58937875
The ampacity of a conductor at frequencies where the skin effect is negligible is proportional to the area of the cross section. The depth of a motherboard trace is very small which means the width must be high to carry a lot of current.

If you look at a motherboard you'll see there's not a lot of unused space. Motherboards are at least 4 layer PCBs which means you only see at most half of the problem. CPUs have about 1000 pins. Each RAM slot has more than 100. It's not just the number of signals. At GHz frequencies the length of the traces becomes critical so that signals arrive at components at the same time with errors small compared to a nanosecond.

So you can imagine routing traces on a motherboard is a huge pain in the ass. Add an inch wide trace or two to power what might or might not be plugged in to your PCI express slots and you're making your life difficult for no real reason.
>>
>>58939841
Do you want a power brick? I would want a power brick too to make a actual small and light ITX.
>>
>>58939884
Shit, this was suposed to quote to OP.
>>
>>58939884
those exist.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.