[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the early days of personal computing, BASIC was the shit.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: CommodoreBasic.jpg (29KB, 756x530px) Image search: [Google]
CommodoreBasic.jpg
29KB, 756x530px
In the early days of personal computing, BASIC was the shit. That language enabled a generation of young programmers and tech enthusiasts to write programs on their microcomputers.

Even the name stood for "Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code", but I always wondered: how hard was actually BASIC? How much effort did it ask to learn and get through?

Also, BASIC general thread.
>>
File: hack.png (13KB, 384x272px) Image search: [Google]
hack.png
13KB, 384x272px
>>58936778

compared to assembly it was easy

nowadays you can use a TI calculator and have the same experience of trying to use a mediocre language on suboptimal hardware
>>
>>58936778
That seems comfy
>>
>>58936778
It was easy for simple programs, easier than C or Java definitely, no boilerplate at all, no libraries or headerfiles, I/O was a build-in part of the core language. However, writing complex programs was more difficult, because you didn't really have encapsulation into functions - everything was in global scope, and the main control flow statement was the goto. There was also gosub (basically the same as the assembly function call instruction - push the program counter onto a stack, jump, and pop the program counter off the stack when you encounter a return statement), but there were no local variables - everything was in global scope, so if you had a subroutine that needed to store intermediate values, you needed to be careful that the variable names it used weren't used elsewhere in the program. This also meant recursion (other than tail recursion) was virtually impossible, since the variables would be overwritten with each call of the subroutine. It also had "functions" which were distinct from subroutines, and used the standard function call syntax used today, but were limited to mathematical expressions, and generally couldn't have side effects. You'd define them with something like
DEF FN CUBE(X)=X*X*X
. Also there was no API, all interactions with the operating system (which barely qualified as such) were done by writing values directly to memory, so for example changing the screen color was done by using the POKE statement to write a new value into the area of memory used for holding the state of the display.
>>
>>58936778
Basic is easy but for first timers it teaches bad habits.
>>
>>58937090
Thanks for this thorough insight into specs and limitations of BASIC. Did you learn it back in the days?

>>58937110
Like what?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.