[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, how do I get better at programming? I know the basics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1465964432674s.jpg (3KB, 123x125px) Image search: [Google]
1465964432674s.jpg
3KB, 123x125px
Hey /g/, how do I get better at programming? I know the basics of C++, but I feel like I'm missing something to make something actually useful. Because of this, I'm starting to lose motivation to code, what should I do?
>>
File: bird_12.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
bird_12.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
>>58936123
What is your end goal in programming? What do you want to make?
>>
Do projects.
>>
>>58936147
I've always been intrigued with 3D graphics, I thought it would be cool to make some sort of modeling software. I know it sounds retarded/complicated, but I think its interesting.
>>
>>58936249
Go trough openGL examples and RTFAPI both are bundled with openGL tarball I think.

If you want to understand some concepts in graphics programming I guess the starting point is some textbooks:
Computer Graphics, C Version
and
Computer Graphics Principles and Practices.
>>
>>58936123
>I feel like I'm missing something to make something actually useful
You're missing libraries.

>>58936249
Read up on OpenGL, it's the standard library used for making 3D graphics. There you go, now you have what to do.
>>
>>58936123
remember the basics of C++
>>
>>58936249

3d graphics in OpenGL is a natural thing to want to do. OpenGL is not easy though.

You might not get it at your first try. for me it was like

> failed at OpenGL with java bindings (because I was stupid and wanted to make minecraft GAYmes)
> failed at OpenGL ES but got something on the screen at least
> failed at OpenGL in c++ but got better
> finally knew enough to make something that wasn't garbage

SDL is good as well. it will give you a window that lets you set the color of a pixel. That way you can make a ray tracer, or Gosper's Hack.

Another thing is ncurses. You can use it to make basic text based GUIs without having to fuck with it too much.
>>
>>58936123
You have to be able to make interesting projects to amuse yourself along the way of actually learning whatever language you're doing. It's actually proof you can apply whatever you learned.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.