[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>GNOME developers actually, unironically believed that Vala

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1375786454700.png (26KB, 190x194px) Image search: [Google]
1375786454700.png
26KB, 190x194px
>GNOME developers actually, unironically believed that Vala would catch on
>they were so out-of-touch that they believed talented developers would adopt a language that's utterly useless beyond one specific desktop framework
this is what happens when you spend your free time circlejerking in echo-chambers like /g/ and IRC channels
>>
>>58936021
I don't see what the problem is with creating a language that was made to deal with GTK+ programming much easier? Would you rather do it in C++ instead, because trust me, if you even tried you'd pull your hair out.
>>
>>58937699
There is literally nothing wrong with an agreed-upon subset of C++. It's what Google uses to write the most technically advanced browser in the world, in addition to their search algorithms, TensorFlow, etc. It's what Lockheed Martin uses to write firmware for their military aircraft.

You also get an absolutely yuge talent pool of potential developers willing to contribute code because they aren't put off by the requirement of investing 24 hours of their own free time learning a fucking meme language (that isn't even designed well).
>>
>>58937817
moving the goalposts I see, I'm talking about GTK specifically, it's C++ library is a fucking mess.
>>
>>58936021
Vala did catch on, pantheon is entirely written in Vala and it's used in many GNOME programs.

It's a nice language too.
>>
>>58937817
>implying C++ is not a meme language requiring constant learning and rehearsing just to stay semi-competent
>>
>>58937897
if a long-time GNOME dev is tweeting this, it's dead, Jim

https://twitter.com/ebassi/status/827482509982195712
>>
Rust already has a full gtk3 binding.

Where the FUCK is go? Seriously, it only has a half assed library and that's it. This is fucking annoying.
>>
>>58937897
>Pantheon
RIP
>>
>>58936021
Red hat is filled with second-rate devs. To make it worse, they plan to conquer Linux through shits like systemd and gnome.
>>
>>58938454
Grab you tinfoil and get the fuck out immediately
>>
>>58938454
Red Hat is saving Linux and give back to the community. Canonical is shit and Mir is all that needs to be said about them.
>>
>>58937951
FREETARDS BTFO
>>
>>58938560
Mir is lulzy. It's good for mobile.
>>
>>58938454
Macfags included.
https://grenouillebouillie.wordpress.com/2016/12/21/goodbye-dxo-hello-red-hat/
>>
>>58936021

Vala is an awesome idea that has died solely because they just wouldnt fucking provide good IDE support, good documentation, good ANYTHING beyond the language.
Nobody has time to deal with this shit anymore, there are new languages out every day.
>>
>>58936021
>look at me, i can read HN
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.