[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What, in /g/'s opinion, are the benefits of using BSD over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: freebsd.png (127KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.png
127KB, 600x600px
What, in /g/'s opinion, are the benefits of using BSD over GNU/Linux? What is the distros of BSD are top-tier?
>>
OpenBSD is my personal favorite.
BSDs come with a lot of good stuff by default, like compilers, a webserver, etc.
They also don't have gnu's nasty --long -----------------looooooooooooooooooong option syntax.
>>
>>58933638
how is OpenBSD's security? I hear it's supposed to be better than linuxes
>>
>>58933701
https://www.openbsd.org/security.html
>>
>>58933705
thanks senpai
>>
too many bsd posts lately. read the man pages or neck yourself.
>>
>>58935179
There's nothing wrong with using a handbook or FAQ instead of man pages. I also don't really mind BSD discussion: I'm tired of GNUtards assuming everyone has bash.
>>
>>58935202
Everyone runs on Mac.
>>
File: bird_11.jpg (4MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
bird_11.jpg
4MB, 4608x2592px
>>58933387
Do you have autism? ==> GNU/Linux
Do you have severe autism? ===> BSD
>>
My favorite BSD is macOS.
>>
BSD sucks.
>>
>>58935332
citation needed
>>
>>58933638
>by default
not necessarily good
>--long
what's wrong with those they're just another option to doing it the proper way?
>>
OpenBSD is god-tier
Sadly, there are many features absent in the BSDs (to a varying degree), most notably some drivers, which are present in Linux.
Also software developers love to pretend the BSDs don't exist, so you got GNU configure (disgust) in a lot of projects, along with GNU-style (aka non-POSIX) Makefiles, among other things (eg #!/bin/bash) that make porting very hard.
GNU configure, in particular, is a fucking mistake.
>>
>>58935520
Not the same guy, there's nothing *wrong* with long options, they're just annoying. it's better to use a 1-letter switch like -s than --some-stupid-option-that-takes-a-fucking-while-to-type-while-trying-to-do-work-at-the-terminal-because-fuck-the-user-right?
>>
>>58935520
Some programs have mandatory long options, which means you type more, and typing more is bad for your hands.
>>
>>58935568
Nothing you listed is a problem with OpenBSD: those are problems that OpenBSD becomes a victim of.
>>
>>58933387
Better use Slackware so your computer won't break.
>>
>>58935615
this

is it really a problem with openbsd if people can't be assed to properly write build systems?
>>
>>58935470
Sorry. I never documented my unpleasant experiences with BSD.
Suffice it to say, I won't be installing again in any imminent lifetime.
No matter how hard (You) shill it.
>>
>>58935615
well, yes, but it makes using OpenBSD unfit for a lot of cases, sadly.
And the project is still rather young, virtualization is just making it to the system, so if you want that, you're still out of luck, since the hypervisor is in alpha and currently only works with x86_64
I still think it's the best OS of the whole bunch out there
>>
File: unimpressed.jpg (104KB, 851x478px) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed.jpg
104KB, 851x478px
>>58933705
bias alert
>>
>>58933387
Network code way more organized. You can easily create a custom TCP - congestion control
>>
>>58935250
macOS is not a Unix
>>
>>58935842
Certified UNIX unlike Linux.
>>
>>58935862
``Certified UNIX" is not a Unix
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.