/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/, do people really use LaTeX in [this current year]? I get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

/g/, do people really use LaTeX in [this current year]?

I get it makes equations and shit prettier, but using it to write TEXT is horrific in comparison to MS Word or the likes. Do people write their works in MS Word and THEN copy it into a latex document? Is that how it is?

I need to make sense of the world.
>>
You write your text in a text editor. That's what they are made for. LaTeX is only for turning the finished text into a pretty-looking .pdf file.
>>
>>58929481
I use LaTeX for longer documents, yes.

What specifically do you find horrific about it?
>>
>>58929534
Not OP and a LaTeX user but the amount of packages you need to load in to make it usable isn't great. Syntax is hit and miss.
>>
>>58929553
>but the amount of packages you need to load in to make it usable isn't great.
What now? I usually use 7 or 8 default packages, that isn't a lot.

>Syntax is hit and miss.
Not true, I guess you just lack practice.
>>
>>58929553
>but the amount of packages you need to load in to make it usable isn't great
as with any programming language, you have to define procedures somewhere.

Me? I just use my own template with my most used imports
>>
LaTeX is easy as fuck to use once you actually get going, it's not worth the hassle for short documents but for longer ones it's way better.

So yes, people really use it.
>>
>>58929677
>it's not worth the hassle for short documents
I disagree, I find it ideal for stuff like mail.
>>
>>58929481
Yeah, I'm using Latex. It's pretty common in science.
There are some neat Latex editors, like Texmaker or Texstudio,

Word and Latex are not really meant for the same work/people.
You use Latex to write a scientific paper etc, were you should be able to control every detail regarding the layout etc.
You use word, to write a generic letter, like you wrote 1000 time before.

>using it to write TEXT
I admit, that one has to getting used to Latex, but writing plain text is not that hard even in Latex.
>>
File: 1482714690548.png (543KB, 654x452px) Image search: [Google]
1482714690548.png
543KB, 654x452px
>>58929481
>manlets
>>
Have some of you used Lyx and can share his thoughts?
Heard about it some time ago, but never tried it.
>>
>>58929481
when will manlets ever learn
>>
>>58929523
Nigger try this for 50 pages with complex formatting
>>
If you're trying to typeset a nice looking document then LaTeX is one of the only ways to do it.

Word is good for memos, and one off reports, but not good if your main purpose is document that has to look good enough to read.

Bitching about struggling with it with big documents means you're using it wrong given that's exactly what it's used for professionally
>>
>>58929481
>>58930338 >>58931102
>not checking if that news is even real.. and i dont mean "if that tewt exists"

but lets just pretend it is, were i the guy i just chill and let her press my croch agaist her belly and my belly against her boobs, and wait until someone else comes and explains the mistake
>>
>>58929481
disgusting pedo, 6y old males are not MAN, she only gets away with it because shes a ok looking woman, fucking priviledge
>>
>>58929481
my math teacher used latex and all was good
>>
I'm just use markdown with some extensions.

It does the job.
>>
>>58929570
>I usually use 7 or 8 default packages, that isn't a lot.
not OP and i use latex for almost all documents i write these days, but try to put yourself in the shoes of someone who doesn't use any packages. don't compare yourself to other latex users. 7 or 8 packages is 8 more than they use. and this is saying nothing about compiling and dealing with bibtex (if you're doing that), etc...

as for OP, latex has a very real learning curve to it. that is, once you're more comfortable with it, the marginal cost of making a new document diminishes greatly. as others have said, a template will do you wonders. i don't just go writing the setup stuff for my documents at all anymore.

if you're not doing lots of citations, or if the formatting isn't really that important, then there probably isn't enough motivation for you to get familiar with it. and that's fine. there's lots of specialized shit in the world that you don't use, and that hopefully doesn't bother you. but when my funding proposal goes through a system that inexplicably cares a great deal that my margins are exactly 1 inch and no less, knowing that latex just has that shit handled is really nice. i can trust that i'll only have to spend a few minutes sanity-checking the document at the end rather than an hour or so fucking around with citations and figure placement and whatnot.
>>
>>58933329
that's hot
>>
>>58929481
I use MS Word.
I was forced to write my thesis in LaTeX. So I wrote a macro in conjunction with a shitty mouse auto-clicker/auto-pointer to inject latex styled equations in word (macro checks the needs of the equation, then makes the mouse move and select correctly the word symbols to make that equation).
I then made a nice template.

Delivered my Word made thesis. The guy overseeing me said something along the lines of:
>see anon, with latex everything is better
I then said I used Word and he didn't believe it.

Word is nice, it no longer throws bugs out of the ass when more than 30 pages are written.
>>
>>58934042
that was a cool story bro. did he give you a crisp $100 dollar bill afterward?
>>
>>58934071
No, he gave me (along with the rest of the jury) 18 out of 20.
>>
I like when people use it for resumes, makes them look a lot better, but for normal documentation, no
I get a lot of resumes and the only guy who used latex was qualified for the niche position I was hiring for, the rest weren't very great
>>
>>58931335
Use an awk or sed script to apply your complicated formatting as a macro when you render your document.

It is like you are retarded and can't use a 40 year old tool. Do you call people niggers because they know how to use a fucking hammer?
>>
>>58929481
Are you retarded? Writing text in MS word is just like writing text in notepad. You use MS word for formatting. LaTeX does formatting better than MS word if you aren't a computer illiterate retard. For any substantial project, you should use LaTeX.
>>
>>58929570
>this isn't a lot
Id say it is.
Though I don't find latex hard either.
>>
I use both MS Word and LaTeX... They use the same commands for math equations and such so I guess they complement each other quite well in that regard.
>>
>>58933226
>disgusting
Woman/boy love is the purest form of affection there is.
>>
>>58930326
>TexStudio
>The maintainer works at the institute of theoretical computer science at my university
>Biggest autist in life
>even changed his name officially to a girls name

That maintainer is shit. Had exercises with him. He literally stood in front of the class and the only thing he said is that the exercise started. Then remained silent for the next 45 minutes. Class had to organize the exercise by themselves. Just google that dude, you gonna have a lot of fun
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.