[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rectifying common mistakes in computing: * GIF is pronounced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: non-free software.jpg (130KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
non-free software.jpg
130KB, 800x600px
Rectifying common mistakes in computing:

* GIF is pronounced "jiff"

* 1 KiB = 1024 Byte
1 kB = 1000 Byte
1 KB = 1 Kelvin Byte
>>
>>58924469
>Kelvin Byte

That sounds good, I'll have that.
>>
I will keep pronouncing gif as gif in gift.

I will keep using kB and KB to refer to 1024 bytes. k and K prefixes are not exclusive to Si.
>>
блaгoдapят кoт
>>
>>58924469
gif sounds like gift without the t. fuck you. with a big rusty pole or a splintery post. fuck you the most fuck you.
>>
The biggest argument in favor of jiff is that original author wants it to be pronounced as jiff. But this is not an argument good enough. I have no respect for original author. I use the gif image format not because it's good but because of third party application support.
>>
>>58924469
"Flash drive" is actually Zip Disquette.
>>
File: ops-keyboard.jpg (49KB, 700x436px) Image search: [Google]
ops-keyboard.jpg
49KB, 700x436px
>>58924469
*OP is pronounced "faggit"
>>
>>58924514
> (they) thank a cat
>>
1 byte = memory cell size
1 octet = 8 bits
>>
>>58925224
if you are not using ternary logic or your words aren't 36 bit long, you are basically not computing
>>
>>58925224
>memory cell size
What memory.
>>
>>58925179
That keyboard is missing space and an apostrophe.
>>
>>58924824
The biggest argument in favor of hard G is the fact that there exists an extension called .jif
>>
>>58926004
Eh. I use hard G and I wouldn't even use this argument to defend my choice. so what if it exists? It's not used. My personal preferences is to use hard G, no authoritative source exists me to tell otherwise, and that's how I justify using hard G.
>>
>>58924824
>The biggest argument in favor of jiff is that original author wants it to be pronounced as jiff.
That's why english grammar should go out of the window?
>>
>>58927198
You're actually a fucking idiot.

I really hope this is bait.
>>
>>58927645
You're talking gibberish.
>>
>>58927198
Please elaborate. How is grammar related to this?
>>
>>58927645
What do you think of that, Mr. gibbous, gift-refusing, gibberish-talking, giddy, giggling, gilt-edged minded(not), gimmick-pulling, gibbonous, give-nothing gimp?
>>
>>58927850
someone has thesaurus.com on their speed dial
>>
>>58927882
Is it wrong to use words to defend commonly used english pronunciation of another word?
>>
>>58927923
Could you please elaborate how grammar is related to pronunciation of gif?
>>
>>58927945
Same as gift?
>>
>>58927966
Is this a misquote?
>>
>>58927977
It's not. I hope there exist a gizmo to help you find the right answer because this conversation is stuck in my gizzard.
>>
>>58927850
>>58927999
>being this mad
btw "gibberish" is pronounced with a soft g
>>
Daily reminder that hard G fags pronounce jpeg as jay-fag.
>>
>nobody looked up in a book
While it is a general rule that you use soft g if it's followed by i, e, y, english languange by virtue of being english language got exceptions. Besides can you think of any legible word that starts with "gif" that is not "gift"?
>>
>>58928071
Well, yeah, I mean, you got all those "muh rules, follow 'em" but then there is a bunch of quite common words that don't fit and for a man(i.e. normie) with an ordinary volume vocab there is no rules to remember because he words he frequently uses follow it only half of the time.
And both cases of gibberish are acceptable.
>>
>>58928212
it's almost like english is inconsistent enough that you can't just point to a similar word as evidence for how a word "should" be pronounced
>>
>>58928212
>>58928254
oh, especially when it's not even a word per se it's an acronym
>>
File: mog.png (119KB, 591x631px) Image search: [Google]
mog.png
119KB, 591x631px
>>58928254
>>58928264
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_English_words_where_G_is_pronounced_exceptionally
>>
>>58924469
1 kb = 1000 bit
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.