[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come there's no x86 big.LITTLE design? Would be great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: arm-hmp.jpg (77KB, 600x285px) Image search: [Google]
arm-hmp.jpg
77KB, 600x285px
How come there's no x86 big.LITTLE design?
Would be great for tablets and laptops.
Have all the background Windows services on the small cores, and the main programs on the big cores.
>>
>>58910592
Because X86 is not directly competing against ARM for smartphone market share in a segment where chips draw sub 1w idle.
>>
>>58910637
/thread
>>
>>58910592
Why not just use multiple cores of same design with technologies like speedstep&turbo, like we do now. Designing cores is expensive as hell and littlebig would make processors more expensive. This isnt the case with arm because high power and low power cores are both being designed already.
>>
>>58910592
>How come there's no x86 big.LITTLE design?
Intel is becoming more and more irrelevant with each passing year. That's why.
>>
>>58910895
>x86 becoming irrelevant any time soon
Sure. Tell that to anyone who uses anything professionally.
>>
>>58910592
Because current x86-based tablets and laptops have few real problems that actually justify that kind of design in the first place
>>
>>58910637
Z8500

Draws about ~.5w idle
>>
>>58910592
because x86 has multipliers that work
adding gimped cores on die would only serve to push up costs.
>>
>>58910592
because it's not made to play candycrush
>>
Is bigLITTLE even a viable strategy? Wouldn't it make more sense to just adjust the frequency on demand like how AMD and Intel currently do it?
>>
>>58914514
Tablets don't have cooling for higher clock rate
>>
If you're on a desktop you shouldn't really give a fuck about power consumption. Current and previous CPUs already lower frequency a lot when idle and they also have several sleep states as far as I understand.

As for laptops and tablets ARM seems to be doing a bretty gud job and as far as I remember and Microsoft showcased a version on ARM not too long ago if I recall correctly. Intel Z series seems a step in the right direction but it's still a very low powered CPU for anything other than mobile shitposting and browsing.

AMDs could be bringing some interesting shit to the table since I remember them mention how the new design scales well from server applications right down to mobile solutions called raven ridge I think.
>>
>>58914550
The shitty thin meme doesn't help either. I swear the last couple of years of advances in power consumption in mobile SoCs have been killed by piss thin devices and smaller batteries. Add a current Soc and add a few mm thickness to current devices and battery life would skyrocket.
>>
>>58914514

I'm convinced the only reason they don't do it is because all the patents for it is held by Intel and AMD only can do it also because it could license the patents and same with VIA and Transmeta back when they made x86 chips.

big.LITTLE is ingenius as a way to sidestep that issue and still do a decent amount of power scaling but compared to dynamic voltage and frequency scaling, costs way too much in silicon and wastes processing power.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.