[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever feel like the aesthetics of tech/computers just aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: hackathon.jpg (186KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hackathon.jpg
186KB, 1280x720px
Ever feel like the aesthetics of tech/computers just aren't what they used to be?

When i think back to the early days around when personal computers were beginning to become a reality, the whole 'atmosphere' I imagine is one of neckbeards hanging around in dingy computer science labs, working on dusty old computers, drinking 10 cups of coffee a night... Just generally a really comfy atmosphere for neckbeards and social outcasts.

Nowadays the tech world seems to have an entirely different aesthetic. It's all bright and colorful and social now. Consider the 'hackathon' for example. You get hundreds of people together in a room. A lot of the people working on projects aren't even coders. The corporate sponsor's logo is plastered everywhere. Glowing Apple logos are visible everywhere.

It all just seems so... Fucking normie.

And I'm not even talking about the fact that normies use tech now. I'm talking about the places where programmers/developers work, too. The modern silicon valley office building just looks so bright and friendly, it's honestly disgusting.
>>
File: 1408490180557.jpg (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1408490180557.jpg
1MB, 1280x1024px
>>58909585
Embrace the cyberpunk future, anon. We're in the middle phase right now.

It's going to glorious, and it's going to be fun.
>>
>>58909585
the only thing you missed is your youth.
it's gone, poof.
>>
File: 440px-Mittelgrosse_lan-party.jpg (35KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
440px-Mittelgrosse_lan-party.jpg
35KB, 440x330px
>>58909585
>tfw this will never happen anymore
>>
>>58909585
It's not "fucking normie" to me but it does feel cheap and unsatisfying to use a computer compared to older computer hardware designs.

This is one of the reasons why mechanical hard drives and CRTs are still popular with certain people. Call it hooey if you want, but it just feels more like you're doing something when you use them.
>>
>>58909585
Also, I will add that the experience of using a computer often feels more like looking through a magazine and watching television now that high quality photos and videos dominate the internet. The "computer feel" is being lost.

The interent itself also makes a huge difference. Everyone lives inside their web browser and think that's all a computer is good for aside from perhaps playing a video game. The number of people who get together and use computers for things I haven't just listed is very small. You'd have a hard time finding a group of people like that (just like you would have in the 80s or 90s).
>>
File: 1486497233916.png (134KB, 429x437px) Image search: [Google]
1486497233916.png
134KB, 429x437px
>>58909639

>tfw the last time i saw a xboxhueg tower was 10 +years ago
>>
>>58909585
It's not the aesthetics, it's the lack of potential. Computers used to be loaded with powerful potential. The were ready to unlock the secrets of the universe and bring humanity together into a bright future. Now there's nothing special about them.

One strange thing about computers is they are one of the few things where I feel like you needed to be introduced to them a bit later in life to really appreciate them and feel the magic of them. If you had a computer in the house from the time you were born they are just an appliance.
>>
Whenever I get some free time I really want to write a book or make a movie on this retarded phenomenon of having nostalgia for something you don't even have the slightest clue on how to describe.

>the whole atmosphere I imagine
>I imagine
That's right and you imagined it wrong.

>comfy atmosphere for neckbeards and social outcasts
Jesus christ, you might as well say it should only be for fucking losers. You don't aspire for this, you aspire to mix this with business and get rich and go your own way and lead. What a horrible fucking attitude. Might as well rename something like "network administrator" to "super duper fucking loser nerd virgin".

The first thing you're inferring is that whoever showed up first decides forever on what the industry should be about. This is not how it works. Fuck off. But hey stick around for a second. In this case you are not only inferring that those who showed up to the field first get to decide, here's the kicker - you don't even know what this was, you are going completely based off your imagination. So you have no idea what to really keep, or what to eliminate. Fuck off again.

People tend to have this psuedo perfect idea of this past they never experienced because only the cool or interesting parts are tended to be recorded. Here's something I want you to think about - imagine trying to help someone configure software or troubleshoot literally anything without remote desktop or sharing software of any kind. You were expected to know every single thing they were seeing OVER THE PHONE.

>boo hoo everything looks too good and new and I'm scared because I'm a big loser so everyone else should be too
Please do fuck off to IRC or BBS, they will gladly consume you and you can stay right in the 90s for 3-4 more decades, neo luddite. I've said this before and will again - you retro shits literally buy non working hardware, fucking jack off onto the plastic, and make up your own history on the spot, and it's all fucking wrong.
>>
>>58910048
kill yourself
>>
>>58910048

thanks for posting, you are right of course. it's very easy to start believing the utter bullshit loser attitude that is posted when it's posted so much
>>
>>58910296
>>58910265
>>
>>58910048

Actually a quality post.

When I see crap like nostalgia for buckling springs, I want to gag. Bunch of teenagers jacking off to something so many of us were so glad to see gone.

Oh I understand something were better. I understand why somebody wound want a CRT, they're objectively better in many regards. But the douchebaggy attachment to anything and everything associated with the past reeks of cock.
>>
File: quakecon-oxcgn-2.jpg (143KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
quakecon-oxcgn-2.jpg
143KB, 720x480px
>>58909639
what is quakecon
what is any computer cafe in a big city or korea

it doesn't need to happen anymore because everyone in the world can be on a lan party using properly coded multiplayer. games nowadays and in fact ones made 10 years ago support thousands of players in one area.

>Windows 95
Picture barely shows the mess of cables in the lower right corner reminding you of reality. most games only supported serial connections measured in bytes per second, no I didn't forget a prefix, that's BYTES per second.

maybe if it was the right time, ethernet would have been adopted so you could have up to 4, count 'em 4, players, and it would be on this "networking device", totally not a piece of shit, called a HUB, and 30 seconds into the game the collision rate would hit 90% on a lan. sure was a party

shitty nostalgia has made it like hubs didn't have collision rate lights. It's a product with a failure light built right in.

>tfw make a shit nostalgia shit greentext about a past I didn't experience because if we just pretend it wasn't shit then we can change history and then become leonard shelby and pine for this made up fantasy existence that didn't happen
>>
It's a strange phenomenon to feel a desire to look at the past and the notion of owning a computer and utilizing its full potential WHILE you are probably watching a video about old computers on a modern computer doing exactly what the industry was hyping all the time the AT the time. But somehow it feels hollow. I guess we'll always be chasing that dream even if we don't know what it is anymore.
>>
>>58910789
>Picture barely shows the mess of cables in the lower right corner reminding you of reality.
oh noe! cables! gasp!
>>
File: business.png (180KB, 751x406px) Image search: [Google]
business.png
180KB, 751x406px
>>58909585
>When i think back to the early days around when personal computers were beginning to become a reality, the whole 'atmosphere' I imagine is one of neckbeards hanging around in dingy computer science labs, working on dusty old computers, drinking 10 cups of coffee a night... Just generally a really comfy atmosphere for neckbeards and social outcasts.
That accurately describes the CS lab at my university and I graduated only a few years ago. The room was called the dungeon. That environment still exists. Maybe you have to dig a little.

>Nowadays the tech world seems to have an entirely different aesthetic. It's all bright and colorful and social now.
Depends entirely where you work. The "cube farm" has assumed a negative connotation. The reality is the cubicle environment fosters concentration through privacy and solitude. Granted, private offices are probably better, but that's rarely economically feasible.

I actively avoid "open office" workspaces when I'm looking for a job. They aren't conduvice for developers.

Group work doesn't have to mean sharing a warehouse floor. You share a cube for a few hours with the people you're actually working woth. Some of my best idea exchanges happened during a walk outdoors (which you should do daily, really) or when grabbing lunch together.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.