[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's 2017 surely fanless PSUs will be cheaper by now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: fZBreBJ.jpg (30KB, 480x471px) Image search: [Google]
fZBreBJ.jpg
30KB, 480x471px
>it's 2017 surely fanless PSUs will be cheaper by now
>still 2x as expensive

is it worth it? it costs as much as a CPU

do you need to make sure the case is compatible btw? I have a fractal design CORE 1000 but I've been meaning to upgrade for a long time, it's a good old-style case but the cable management triggers my weak OCD
>>
File: unfair.jpg (112KB, 480x574px) Image search: [Google]
unfair.jpg
112KB, 480x574px
btw at my previous work we had a fanless psu for our server, it was stupendously expensive as it was custom designed by HP

it handled it extremely well, never had any issues

then it died literally 6 days after the warranty expired

are they even reliable?
>>
>>58898253
just asked my former colleague and he said it wasn't HP but some other company, oops
>>
>>58898226
Fanless PSUs are a meme.

I have a relatively cheap Bequiet PSU and its fan is quieter than the poop fans on my CPU heatsink.
>>
Why are PSU still so large? On a high end PSU I would expect something like:
AC actively rectified by mosfets, high voltage GaNfet with small ceramic caps doing PFC, more HV GaNfet sending it across a tiny low inductance transformer at 1mhz, another batch of active rectification mosfets followed by buck converters built with 100V GaNfets producing the low voltages.

The entire thing should be the size of a 3.5" hdd with no fans.

Instead they still look like they were made in 1980.
>>
>>58898438
Make your own and sell it then.
>>
>>58898438
I'd buy one.
>>
>>58898438
cost/benefit

look at notebook psus where there's an obvious incentive to keep it small and yet they either stick it outside in a brick or just make the notebook thicker and put more fans in it

a lot of volume = cool air = better heat dissipation if I'm getting this right
>>
>>58898438
>high voltage GaNfet
highest voltage GaNFET available right now has a Vdsmax of 300V, it's probably not going to withstand AC 230V rectified. Also GaNFETs are still somewhat unreliable, they can easily break under if Vgs gets just a little to high.

I would use Silicon carbide instead if you want the latest FET tech
>>
>>58898556
There's literally 650V GaNfets for sale on mouser right now.
>>58898455
It's tempting, you could also have split systems, the main block just converts AC mains into isolated 60VDC, then you run thin low current 60V cables to the devices, small GaN buck converters built into dongles on the cables convert it into 12v/5v high current.

No more trying to route huge bundles of 24+ wires around the pc case.
>>
>>58898810
>There's literally 650V GaNfets for sale on mouser right now.
link
>>
I can barely hear my PSU. Dunno why people think they're noisy.
>>
>>58898820
>>58898810
Alright I think I found it
http://nl.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Transistors/MOSFET/_/N-ax1sf?Keyword=GaN&FS=True
never heard of that company before, one year ago onlt EPC was making GaNFETs

neat
>>
>>58898226
Don't go full fanless, get a decent PSU with 0 RPM mode instead. Something like the RMx series.
>>
>>58898490
>a lot of volume = cool air = better heat dissipation if I'm getting this right
Not really.
Average PC PSU, silicon mosfets, low switching speeds, large electrolytic capacitors and large inductors. Electrolytic capacitors = high resistance, every time they charge and discharge heat is produced, slow switching speeds = large current ripple, add more capacitors to compensate. It's the same with inductors and transformers, slow switching speeds more inductance required which typically means more resistance.

GaNfets switching losses are 10-20 times less than silicon mosfets so you can run them at 1mhz or more, at those speeds the required capacitance and inductance is so tiny that low capacitance/inductance components can be used. If you take a high end 2000W PC PSU it's likely quite efficient when supplying 2000W as only 100W or 200W is lost as heat, problem is when supplying 500W all the capacitors and transformers are probably still taking 100W, so you're down to 80% efficiency and it still needs a fan.
>>
File: 1415116588772.jpg (30KB, 526x358px) Image search: [Google]
1415116588772.jpg
30KB, 526x358px
>>58898927
wait... I assumed that's what fanless is?

well fuck then, wew that one's cheap, hahahaha some 10 years ago I bought a shitty eurocase psu for that kind of money, the kind that made a lot of peoples houses get on fire

oh man good times
>>
>>58898226
what's the problem, desu? Don't you have enough money?
>>
>>58898997
Fanless literally means no fan. Semi-faniess means it only spins up the fan when necessary.
>>
>>58899061
There is no such a thing as semi-fanless. Fan less is no fan. The word you are looking for is semi-passive.

>>58898226
Get a semi-passive with a high enough Wattage, that it definitely won't spin up (=double your expected power consumption).
>>
File: sdhgnb45ew.png (150KB, 738x494px) Image search: [Google]
sdhgnb45ew.png
150KB, 738x494px
>>58899103
For the sake of argument. If the fan is shut off, it is effectively fan less because the device is operating without the fan. Seasonic even refers to it as "fan less mode."
>>
>>58898438
Because it's a standard form factor which is incredibly widespread, there's no purpose to making them smaller unless it's some sort of novelty small PC. Then again, the size of a case that fits a standard ATX PSU shouldn't be much of an issue unless you live in a tiny shoebox. I doubt there would be a lot of people willing to pay more for a PSU with the same performance just because it's smaller.
>>
>take 1200w PSU
>remove fan
>replace sticker with 400w one
There's your fanless PSU, that's all they are and why they're so expensive.
>>
>>58898438
Smaller form factors do exist.
>>
File: 22313897621_cc999fccb9_o.jpg (104KB, 800x513px) Image search: [Google]
22313897621_cc999fccb9_o.jpg
104KB, 800x513px
>>58899549
This is a 2000W GaN based PSU.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.