[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ what do I need to know before buying a compressor to clean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: compressor.jpg (24KB, 496x500px) Image search: [Google]
compressor.jpg
24KB, 496x500px
/g/ what do I need to know before buying a compressor to clean a bunch of PC? Any recommendation?
>>
>>58887375
I hope this is bait. If not you are retarded
>>
>>58887392
What why? many people use a compressor instead of air cans
>>
File: 879686005018.jpg (162KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
879686005018.jpg
162KB, 900x900px
Get a moister Filter or you will fuck your PC up
>>
File: 41oNE2XwwwL._SX355_.jpg (17KB, 355x344px) Image search: [Google]
41oNE2XwwwL._SX355_.jpg
17KB, 355x344px
supposedly pic related is decent but an air compressor is going to be much nicer, but for the love of god get one of these >58887523

I'm not too sure if the datavac would have problems with moisture in the air, but regular air compressors have a tendency to spit out nice rusty water

>>58887417
>What why? many people use a compressor instead of air cans

they use it because they have the compressor already, buying a compressor (or even something like pic related) is a bit silly if you have no other use for it
>>
>>58887417
You should know that suck beats blow any day.
All you're doing with your compressed air is distributing the dirt all over the place and driving it into places you'll never get it out of.
Get a good industrial vacuum cleaner. When I worked for IBM there was a Nilfisk on every site.
>>
>>58887523
Does that filter last long or just a few uses?
>>
>>58888212
Can't Tell you about this specific One, but those Filters are usually installed in industrial settings, so they have to be reliable and durable
>>
buy a small oil free compressor, like I did. I used to clean out PCs and electronics with my shop compressor, but it was such a chore to take all the items that needed cleaning out there.
>>
>>58887720
>I'm not too sure if the datavac would have problems with moisture in the air, but regular air compressors have a tendency to spit out nice rusty water
you're supposed to drain the water from the tank regularly.
>>
If you're blowing only once a year (or more if you don't have any forced air filtration in your living space, which results in 10x the suspended particulate) like a reasonable person, you won't save money owning a pump instead of buying gas duster. If you're going to be inflating tires and such, go ahead.
>>
>>58887375
Use a vaccuum.
>>
>>58889139
Those fry electronics.
>>
Like others have said, you need an oil free compressor and you have to watch out for water in the air line.

Personally I use an electric air pump to clean my PC. I use this one that came with my air mattress but anything you find when searching "electric air pump" should work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XQK2MW
>>
>>58888878
>you're supposed to drain the water from the tank regularly.

water vapour condenses when pressurised, there's very little you can do to prevent it without spending a lot of money on water traps, filters and desiccators - at which point you'll have a setup to make spraypainters jealous

seriously, try draining your tank then re-pressurising some air and leave it 5 minutes before spraying into some paper towel, you should notice *some* evidence of water and if you're using a low quality air compressor that doesn't have a lined tank it'll contain rust, and if you're not using an oil free compressor it'll have oil and other contaminants, not stuff you want to spray onto delicate pc components regularly
>>
OP here many thanks to all of you. I'll get an oil free one to see what happens.
>>
>>58890589
You should also eat oil-free :^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtwwZP4Yfs
>>
Ok

1) you need fucking amazing moisture traps, I have an airbrush and even my fucking moisture traps don't really get the job done but I suck and I am learning so its workable for me

2) you are better served by getting something that moves are rather then compresses air. An old shop vacs output + the vacuum end to get the dust would likely serve you better then a compressor.

3) If you are still going with this, shoot the compressed air through a paper towel you wrap around the nozzle for a minute, if you see wet spots, its only going to fuck whatever computer you have up more then just leaving the dust.

for anyone interested

vacuum + paintbrush
condensed air + paintbrush + vacuum
datavac + paintbrush + vacuum

in order of how useful the setups are, as I never could find a shop vac with a reducer to use it as focused air, i never tried.
>>
>>58887375
look up how far you need away it needs to be installed. basically the closer it is installed to the compressor the air hasn't given away its latent heat from being compressed.

it needs to be installed further downstream, idk how long your hose is so i can't say. you may also want to install one right at the connection from the a/c and then another one at least 10-25 feet.

hope that helps...
>>
>>58887375
since you are not going to use it for anything meaningful, you dont need a large tank.
Just go get a 1 gallon compressor from somewhere.

Also know its not *advised* to use an air compressor for blowing out dust because suposedly it makes a ton of static.
with that being said, I use a 30 year old air compressor that blows water to clean out my computers and its fine.
>>
>>58887375
Do whatever you can to make sure any fans don't spin when you blow that compressor on them. Don't ask me how I know to tell you these words of wisdom.
>>
ITT: People fell for the canned air meme.

I wonder what other bullshit I could sell you?
>>
buy one that doesnt uses oil

you can cheap ones, 3 gals 100 psi for like $100 which is more than enough for what you want to do
>>
>>58888878
If you drain them regulary and use moisture traps they dont.
I use them daily and have for the past 17 years.
>>
>>58893218
>since you are not going to use it for anything meaningful, you dont need a large tank.Just go get a 1 gallon compressor from somewhere.
I disagree. A larger 3 gallon tank or more has the added benefit of driving pneumatic tools and filling low car tires. That second part will come in handy one day. OP, I recommend a slightly larger 2-3 gallon air compressor. Then just get an air blow gun.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=air+blow+gun
I use the follow since it's assortment of heads can offer higher or lower pressure. I know harbor freight is cheap shit but it works fine for light duty and if it breaks you're not out much.
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-pc-air-compressor-starter-kit-68191.html
>>
>>58896054
Probably a lot, you can get pretty high off the canned computer air.
>>
>>58898147
Id normally agree and that was my first thought, but this is /g/ and op did say he wants this soley to blow out computers.
Most people here wont be using pneumatic tools, which is about the only reason someone would want a larger air compressor.
Btw, if you are using pneumatic tools, you are going to want a larger tank than 2-3 gallon.
That might suffice for smaller tools, but it wont be enough for anything larger.

I inherited my fathers compressor, I dont konw the tank size but its somewhere between 20 and 60 gallons, it works fine for impact wrenches and variolous other tools.

My grandfather needed to use an air chisel, he had rebought tools he lost years ago and had only picked up a small compressor, dont know the size but between 2-6 gallon.
My grandmother said when she was using it she could only use it for short bursts and then shed have to stop and let it build pressure back up.

Asfor inlfating tires, I dont believe tank size matters since its only moving air and not driving any force.
I have one of those shitty 12v inflators with probably no tank and it will pump up a tire just fine. The tire itself probably acts as part of the tank.

Now if he is doing any prolonged work (blew off the driveway once because a shit ton of dust, dirt, leaves, gravel, sand, and rocks all accumulated everywhere) then a larger tank would be nice, but the surface area in a computer isnt even comparable to a driveway. (which one should probably use a garden hose or something but fuck it, having a hand held erosion machine makes the energy bill worth it alone)
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.