[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any shortwave fans got advice on pulling in signals? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170206_221955.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170206_221955.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Any shortwave fans got advice on pulling in signals? I'm new to the hobby and can find a few stations at night. I've been looking at antenna builds online but thought I'd ask around as to what other people have made/use.
>>
>>58884257

it might not be exactly what you want but look into getting an rtl sdr or some other usb sdr, they're not all made equal so check the spec sheets but typically the cheaper rtl sdrs do about 24-50mhz on the low end (you can use a downconverter to get even lower) while others can do down to 100/10/1khz (sdrplay rsp2 does 1khz, rsp1 does 10khz for instance)

they make pretty shit radios but the reason they're useful (and this is coming from a ham guy not a shortwave guy so ymmv) is that they tend to be able to scan a huge amount of bandwidth and coupled with the power of decent computer software you can scan a *lot* of frequencies very quickly and very often, and get some really nice features such as spectrographs, it makes finding the interesting signals and stations a hell of a lot easier and once you've found them on the sdr you can pick them up on your decent radio and put the rtl sdr back to scanning
>>
File: 1486613122301.jpg (40KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486613122301.jpg
40KB, 1000x800px
>>58884257
t. autist
>>
>>58884533
>stop liking what I don't like
>>
>>58884257
Stick to food reviews.
>>
>>58884608
review brah isn't "new to the hobby" he's a shortwave pro
>>
>>58884257
Ill upload some shit tonight if this thread is still going. I've seen some interest in RF and antenna theory here lately. Should be fun.
>>
>>58884257
Well what do you use now, and what do you want to make/buy in the future?
>>
>>58884523
Thanks anon.
>>
>>58884523
What software is your choice, Linux preferred?
>>
>>58884857
Just using the telescopic antenna for the PL 660. Been too damned cold and miserable out to spend any real time trying the wire antenna in my tree. Was looking at designs for loop antennas, but will probably wait until I get a better grasp on theory and what exactly I want to be listening to. Have found radio Romania, radio Havana and an African station. Like those ones.
>>
>>58884608
OP here, not review brah. Just a dude on vacation and messing around with a new radio. If this thread actually picks up I'll be glad to watch other enthusiasts discuss their setups and techniques.
>>
>>58884810
If the thread is down start a new one. I'm interested and will check back.
>>
>>58884257
A dipole is easy to make and effective. You might have a noisy location, too. Try taking your radio to a park or something.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.