[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>programming on windows ok, so I just installed windows on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: raw[1].gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
raw[1].gif
1MB, 320x180px
>programming on windows

ok, so I just installed windows on my pc to play games

I never really programmed too much, little bit of C and lisp when I was a kid (20 now), and wanted to get back into it. Why is programming on windows so fucking egregious? On UNIX everything is a holistic organic system made up of parts that work together. On windows everything is a proprietary bloated mess
>>
We just had a thread where /g/ couldn't name one (1) C IDE for Linux
>>
>>58883194
/g/ is dumb
geany
>>
>>58883194
They did name vim though.
>>
>>58883108
Install Cygwin and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>58883108
Just use Ubuntu on Windows if you like the UNIX way, duh.
>>
>>58883194
umm eclipse? /g/ can't be this retarded
>>
>>58883335
Eclipse is shit senpai.
>>
The biggest problem facing /g/ isn't the fact that many of us use widely different technologies to accomplish whatever task we want or need to do. The biggest problem facing /g/ is the fact that faggots like OP make bullshit threads that get bumped to the first page because people post replies to obvious bait with no sage.

Stop propagating this nonsense, /g/. Clean up this fucking board.
>>
>>58883108
On Windows it's basically MinGW or VS if you need an IDE

>>58883397
Its a perfectly cromulent question, what's your problem
>>
>>58883194
emacs + cc-mode + gcc + gdb

>>58883397
it's a legitimate inquiry, you mongoloid
>>
Umm.. maybe try using a language that isn't outdated as fuck and upgrade to one that supports the superior Nuget(tm) standard instead? Idiot.
>>
>>58883343
How so? I only use it on those few occasions when I need to use Java, but it works fine then. What's wrong with eclipse??
>>
>>58883446
>Its a perfectly cromulent question, what's your problem
>it's a legitimate inquiry, you mongoloid

>2017
>i'm still responding to bait

You have to be an idiot if you can't find convenient ways to do development work on windows. NOT ONLY are like 95% of OSS tools and languages supported and developed for wangblows, but it also has a fairly large and matured microsoft-specific development community.

I know this is just bait, but I'm hoping that you at least take a few minutes to think back on the decisions you've made in your life that led to the inevitable that is a person who has so little going for them in this world that they find it personally edifying to shitpost about WANGBLOWS LOL and generally lower the level of discourse.
>>
>>58883397
There's nothing wrong with a user of one OS type having issues getting used to another and asking for advice.
>>
>>58883194
Why use an IDE? Just use a Linter.
>>
>>58883527
Hey man I like windows and all but you gotta admit development on Linux feels much more organic and flexible
>>
>>58883540
>There's nothing wrong with a user of one OS type having issues getting used to another and asking for advice.

>Why is programming on windows so fucking egregious? On UNIX everything is a holistic organic system made up of parts that work together. On windows everything is a proprietary bloated mess

>This is not shit posting
>This is not flamebaiting
>This is not pandering to ironic loonix users looking to boost their self-esteem

>This is 100% asking for advice.

Ok, guess its time to Ctrl + w this tab :^)

Sent from Google Chrome on Microsoft Windows 10.
>>
>>58883108
Here's your problem. You're thinking of things working together when at their core, programs have been designed to be modular on windows.

My personal suggestion would be to get an editor you enjoy (I've recently started using Visual Studio Code because of its plugin support) and download IDEs when you want to do a major project.

There are SOME programs that can tie parts of windows together. If you're a true unix fag consider using cygwin terminal and git bash.

That's another thing, most IDEs and even editors have some nice git support so you can use that to get past the whole "not meshing" bit.
>>
>>58883478
that anon is incompetent
>>
>>58883473
Most operating systems are written in C still, and C is one of the few languages that allows a programmer to control things at a very low level by specifically manipulating memory while still having a lot of higher level functionality. In short, it's no C++ or Perl, but C is perfectly legitimate.
>>
>>58883194
gnome builder
qtcreator
kdeveloper
clion
take your pick.
>>
>>58883608
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>58883643
elaborate on what? he (or you?) can't use eclipse
>>
>>58883108
For my C based schoolwork and whatever other practice I do, I just made gcc a system variable so I can run my shit from command line and edit in sublime text.

Honestly it's pretty low bloat and even Code Blocks wasn't terrible to deal with when I used it.
>>
>>58883570
What? OP is frustrated with Windows and how it's not like the OS he's used to. I see no reason to think that he's just pandering. I've seen Linux pandering on this board, and this isn't it. Just because an Anon doesn't like your OS of choice doesn't mean he's just pandering to others who irrationally hate it.

Sent from a Win10 user with a Debian live USB for certain occasions from an iPhone. Haven't got a problem with 'proprietary software'
>>
>>58883694
I misspoke, it's MinGW for Windows. I was thinking of the setup for javac.

It's been a long time since I did it, lmao
>>
File: 1465623875328.jpg (33KB, 396x371px) Image search: [Google]
1465623875328.jpg
33KB, 396x371px
>>58883633
I'll take qtcreator for $free bill
>>
Windows is far better for programming than Linux though. On Windows, you just download Visual Studio Community, pick the languages you're interested in using the installer, and you're basically ready to go. Open VS, go to File > New project, pick the project template you want, and write your fucking program. Documentation for everything (the C standard library and the Windows API) is available in a single consolidated place. You can easily debug using breakpoints without having to configure an external debugger.
>>
>>58883663
Anon didn't say he couldn't use it, just that he rarely use it. There's a difference.
>>
>>58883194
do you really need a ide for C? C is the best and easier to program using a text editor
>>
>>58884628
The nuts and bolts are a bit easier to fuck with in Linux, however, and for some programmers that's more important than convenience and having everything in a single location. Just a difference in priorities.
>>
>>58883194
the entire operating system is basically an ide for C

C was designed as the systems programming language for UNIX
>>
Anyone can name a C IDE for Unix/Linux. The problem is they all suck ass.
>>
>>58883108
>20 now
Too late
>>
>>58883194
I'd like codeblocks for 1000 alex
>>
>>58883194

Your OS is your IDE incredible faggot. All software that claims to be an IDE is unnecessary bloat.
>>
>install cygwin + mingw
>install linux in a VM
>quickly write up a tiling window manager for windows
It just works. With windows you can easily create a Linux development environment if you wanted, or use state of the art IDEs to do your programming. Or use both like any professional.
>>
>>58885763
Spotted the NEET.
>>
>>58883194
fuck off, you got at least 5 of them in the first few minutes

>tfw falling for a shit bait
>>
Windows is good for LITERALLY nothing other than keeping records and gaming.
t.
b.
h.
>>
>>58886676
Well there's somebody who's never seriously tried to do anything with Windows other than record-keepimg and gaming.
t.
b.
h.
>>
>>58883108
>On UNIX everything is a holistic organic system made up of parts that work together.
HAHAHAHA
>>
>>58886790
I mean honestly isn't every OS made up of different bits of code that work together?
>>
>>58886810
yeah.
But i guess he was talking about "muh unix philosophy"
But Linux tends to do weird shit at the seams when a part is buggy
>>
>>58886837
True true. I like it well enough for certain scenarios, but it can certainly be fucky for day-to-day use.
>>
>>58883194
Nano you cunt
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.