[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help! Was using omegle, when someone found my IP.. next thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: .png (63KB, 510x300px) Image search: [Google]
.png
63KB, 510x300px
Help! Was using omegle, when someone found my IP.. next thing I know, they got my social media accounts. What the fuck happened?

Curious how they did this?

I was in video chat.
>>
You didn't click any links, didn't you?
>>
I showed my dick there once, how can you fuck up this hard
>>
>>58875840
I am positive I clicked no such links. or anything.. how the hell did this happen?
>>
>>58875943
You are out of luck, fbi is going to v& your ass. Better neck yourself before its too late
>>
Omegle doesn't obfuscate IP's you connect to for voice chat, it just handles the handshake, it doesn't host your video or anything. Therefore once you're connected someone just needs to do some snooping on where they are sending their packets to see who they're talking to.
>>
>>58875984
what the hell does v& mean?
>>58875989
well, they did something.. trippy.

I'm not really worried, I'm just curious what program, want to educate myself.
>>
>>58876015
you can just use wireshark to see ip of the person you're talking to on omegle
>>
>>58876015
>v&
it means an FBI van is gonna show up to your house.

>>58876015
>well, they did something.. trippy
Not really, they just ran a program called Wireshark.

It is a program that monitors your incoming and outgoing network connections, on what ports, and to/from what IP addresses.

Since omegle server infrastructure is literally just handshake servers, they CAN'T hide the IP address of someone you're talking to because the only way for them to avoid this would be to host the video call on their servers, and then retransmit back to each user. This would require MASSIVE server costs however, so they dont do this.

They just connect your two IPs with a handshake, and let you talk directly. This saves massively on their resources, but has the downside of no privacy since you're making a direct IP to IP connection.

TLDR; omegle is transmitting your IP address in the clear, and there isn't anything you can do about it besides not use it.
>>
>>58876049
i know that much, but how the fuck do they get social media?
>>58876057
and yes!! but how the hell did they find my social media, (insta , fb, reddit, tumblr, twitter )

i do not know the person irl, never seen them before.

also thanks for teaching me what v& means lol
>>
>>58876085
If you have a static IP that is associated to a single account it would be fairly easy to find out your shit.
>>
>>58876103
i do.. sorta dumb. no clue how to change it.
welp, i'm never going on omegle.. again. my friend said it isn't a good place for girls anyways.

just went on out of boredom.

>umm another question, but can anons find my ip thro 4chan?
>>
>>58876137
Call your ISP to ask them to put you on Dynamic instead of Static.
>>
>>58876137
no, 4chan does pretty much everything it can to hide your IP (from the public at least).

It goes so far as to strip EXIF data from images, so even if you take a picture with yourself with Geotagging on, it will strip the GPS data in the EXIF before posting it.

back in the old days anons would freak other anons out by pulling up a picture of their house on google maps cause they happened to leave the GPS info in their picture, so 4chan took steps to prevent this from being an issue.
>>
>>58876167
Not all ISPs will let you, but you can try.

If you explain someone is cyber harassing you, they'll be more likely to listen.
>>
>>58876170
good to know this. will just stick to this site for 'anon chats' omegle can go kill itself lol.
>>58876184
eh desu i really can't. my parents would be confused, they are not aware of what happened. I am 19, someday when I get my own isp maybe.
>>
>>58876170
God, I thought it was still a thing.
Things have changed through time.

>>58876184
Well, you're entirely right. They mostly agree upon such requests.
>>
>>58876206
* idk why this put desu.. typo.

>>58876207
& yep, seems we are living in times where 4chan is safer than omegle :p
>>
>>58876103
You don't make any sense. How would they associate any social media account to an IP, let alone get the login data?
>>
>>58876206
Fair enough, i've been almost a daily omegle user for ~7 years now.

People occasionally try to freak me out by telling me my own IP address, so I do it back to them.

But otherwise it's a pretty chill site most of the time.

If you do end up going back i'd recommend setting up some interests to search for instead of just blind searching.

I generally search for ppl who like anime or similar things.
>>
>>58876226
they have not hacked my accounts.. yet. I'm scared to sleep tonight hah, feel like I will wake up and be locked out of everything.

They just got my usernames. not passwords.
>>
>>58876218
>* idk why this put desu.. typo.
/g/ specifically has word filters for the past year or so.

T.B.H is Desu
desu
F.a.m is senpai\
senpai
there were more not sure if they're still active though.
>>
>>58876234
i had mine set for people who liked #cats and #bored
>>
>>58876253
oh duh. sorry for being so new. I usually browse /adv/ and /r9k/ first time on /g/
>>
>>58876254
neither of those would be super common, so i bet it just matched you with random ppl most of the time.

Anime generally has a few hundered people at a time searching.

I'm also a pot head, so I do weed, THC, marijuana, etc and find a lot of people that way.
>>
>>58876085
>i know that much, but how the fuck do they get social media?

They can either search your IP online, either simply by google or by looking on bigger forums with vulnerabilities that you might have posted on, every scrape of info (email names, etc) can be used to run a further search, until they find an account where you post your social media names yourself.

Or they have a twitter exploit.

Or they ran an exploit or traced your computer, looked at outgoing traffic and found you logging in to some social media account. Or your email; from where they can see any place you logged in to.

Finding someones twitter/facebook name isn't that stupidly difficult, since people now give all their personal info away because it makes things like logging in more convenient.

>>58876170
>It goes so far as to strip EXIF data from images, so even if you take a picture with yourself with Geotagging on, it will strip the GPS data in the EXIF before posting it.

I remember a long time ago some guy started a topic on /b/ that he'll gun down his school, and he was found out from the camera EXIF info, both name and location, and the cops got him.

So I'm not sure that's if that's as good.
>>
>back in the old days anons would freak other anons out by pulling up a picture of their house on google maps cause they happened to leave the GPS info in their picture, so 4chan took steps to prevent this from being an issue

Kek I remember this shit
>>
>>58875273
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S58847790#p58849220
>>
>>58876281
fucking hell.. good thing my profiles are relatively private, all they can do is send tons of friend requests / follow requests.. legit all my accounts are private.

Also, I think a guy saying he would gun his school is enough worry that 4chan mods stepped in. That's too far. And had he of been serious, 4chan could have got sued.
>>
>>58876170
>back in the old days

not really that old, moot implemented this a couple years back. it was around the same time the 4chan inline extension was created I think.
>>
>>58876313
>And had he of been serious
lol wow you are pretty new.

There have been several confirmed murders posted about either before or after they happened on /b/.

Hell back in the day I watched at least 3 different anons kill themselves on live stream.

damn, 4chan has gone to hell these days.
>>
>>58876206
???
I've been managing our account since I was 9 years old. (The only tech savvy in the family, my parents didn't understand crap sooo, yeah, I was the kid calling up Tech when things fucked up at 3 AM with STPM and POP3... ahh good times.)

You should be able to social engineering through, you just need you parents infos.

>>58876218
It's not a typo, it's the board. :^)

>>58876235
It's just to freak you out, don't worry one bit.
>>
>>58876324
I never said the change happened back in the old days, simply back in the old days it was not only still possible, but regularly done.
>>
>>58876325
i remeber toaster steve >.<
>>58876330
>It's just to freak you out, don't worry one bit.
ok thanks! appreciate it.
>>
>>58876325
You mean 4chan came back from hell
>>
Most people dont have static IP addresses so it isn't usually a big deal, most people these days have a dynamic or sticky IP which will reset periodically.
>>
>>58876353
Basically, if you're that much paranoid..
Change your passwords and emails.

Besides that, there's nothing to worry about unless you installed some POS. Just format your drive.
>>
>>58876356
I guess it's a difference of opinion.

I've been around here since early 2005, a regular since late 2006, and i'd say it's certainly far worse than it has ever been, mainly due to it's popularity.
>>
>>58876374
I'm on mac and I legit have the computer set to only install stuff from the mac app store.
I'm using chrome as a browser.
Double checked, nothing downloaded.
I'm prolly good.

sorry for being such a autist. my accounts mean a lot to me.
>>
>>58876402
>I'm on mac
>I'm using chrome

If you weren't so new, I would think you're hookposting.
>>
File: 1480364925532s.jpg (8KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
1480364925532s.jpg
8KB, 230x230px
>>58876418
>>
>>58876387
I feel ya. Same boat.
I recently came back after a long hiatus (05 to 14) and god, it took me a while to get adjusted back.

>>58876402
I don't want to break your bubble, that's not secured enough. Do you know I can just inject you some shit through a pop-up and you're infected just like that?

I'm not saying, dude get on some paranoia level but stuff happens under the hood sometimes.

Change your account's email I guess.

>sorry for being such a autist. my accounts mean a lot to me.
No worries, we're all autistic fuck.
>>
>>58876418
i promise i'm not baiting lol. i know mac isn't the typical choice here. but i like it and it works for me. in my opinion macs are just fluid.

fuck safari tho, that's why i got chrome lol.
>>
>>58876463
>don't want to break your bubble, that's not secured enough
ya but the email they're hooked to have 2 step, and i only have 2 emails anyways, the other one is for college.

which web browser is most secure? would you guys suggest me to use safari?
>>
>>58876539
Chrome is fine, just use some privacy extensions.

HTTPS everywhere, disconnect.me, ublock origin, etc
>>
>>58876049
You connect directly to the other person? I assumed each omegle chatter was communicating through an omegle server.
>>
>>58876556
ok cool. yeah i've been considering safari because i use all apple ecosystem, just have to learn how to master it. the desktop version is actually complicated compared to chrome.
>>
>>58876596
see
>>58876057
>the only way for them to avoid this would be to host the video call on their servers, and then retransmit back to each user. This would require MASSIVE server costs however, so they dont do this.

it's an infrastructure problem, with 20,000-35,000 users on busy nights, it would require MASSIVE ongoing server costs, which simply isn't feasible for a free to use site.
>>
>>58876606
safari is shit desu, chrome supports basically all the same shit and is generally just as fast.

If you know chrome, stick to chrome.
>>
>>58876616
ok thanks. safari is awesome on the iphone. good to kno tho.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.