[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the feasibility of govornment agencies legaly finding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 1484267556679.jpg (196KB, 911x1301px) Image search: [Google]
1484267556679.jpg
196KB, 911x1301px
what is the feasibility of govornment agencies legaly finding a way to force FOSS developers to include backdoors in their code and what do you think the outcome of that would be?
>>
Only if said FOSS became very widely used, since most FOSS is barely used beyond the development group and their friends.

As it is, there's simply no reason to attempt to force it, but if they tried some blanket approach I'm willing to bet a lot of FOSS would simply jump ship to the darkweb or some other source not directly monitored by the government.
>>
>>58874847
Here's the thing. You can find out with FOSS. You can't really with closed source. Sure you can Wireshark, but you can do that with FOSS too. FOSS can be code audited and wiresharked.
>>
>>58875424
And what if they forced FOSS programs to have closed source libraries or whatnot that could potentially have the backdoors?
>>
>>58877589
Someone who makes a program owns it, not the government. Your argument is dumb.
P.S. what are open source libraries?
>>
The FBI already stated that backdoors are inherently flawed since it introduces potential for non-government agencies to find out about them. After the fiasco with the Apple case they decided it was better to just go directly to the organization to get what they want.
>>
>>58877750
But they could just force the programs to have closed source sections. Whether it's a library or some other part. They wouldn't be taking away the ownership from the writer, quite contrarily, they'd be instructing the writers to clutch their intellectual property more tightly.
>>
File: image.jpg (5KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5KB, 300x57px
>>58874847
Stallman would strike them down with merciless vengance.
>>
>>58877969
A programmer has the ability to choose what libraries to use, also 1st amendment is free expression and would allow open source libraries to exist.
>>
File: rng.png (275KB, 1043x399px) Image search: [Google]
rng.png
275KB, 1043x399px
>>58874847
honestly I would be pressuring bios makers and chipset makers if I was the TLAs.

things like OMCI and HPCMI exist. iDRAC exists. have your open source software while you run signed opaque firmware with full network capability and backdoors.

how much you want to get that "certain" orders of processors get "special AES-NI" instruction sets *wink wink*
>>
>>58874847
hardware compatibility.
>>
>>58878261
Damn, you just flat out keep refusing to get it! See, what's needed for the communal good and for economic order is simply for any one part of the program to be closed source, so they wouldn't be restricted from any particular part of the program to be an expression or something needing to be expressed, a particular library, or a specific open source type thing. It simply requires the programmer to own up for the program a fraction of the time, to just occasionally take responsibility!
>>
File: 1450835884536.png (128KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
1450835884536.png
128KB, 308x308px
>>58879163
Jesus christ, providing source code will prevent this bullshit. Also shill, but whatever.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.