[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be in CS >first week >professors keep talking how hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 27

File: 1486240866652.jpg (94KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1486240866652.jpg
94KB, 601x508px
>be in CS
>first week
>professors keep talking how hard is CALCULUS I, how from 70 from last semester only 20 passed it, how hard is for people, blah, blah, blah, hard, really hard
>scary as fuck
>4chan keeps telling me is easy as fuck
>>
It's easy as fuck. Your professor sucks.
>>
>>58866268
I dunno, I've been making the first homework is in basically high school shit.

going to study hard for this one.

maybe people are just dumb.
>>
>tfw I will write and fail calculus in the next hours
>>
>>58866262
It's nothing too hard to understand, just requires quite a bit of practice to get proficient
It's the understanding part which most people don't like dealing with, so they fail.
>>
>>58866262
>Calculus I
Just study for and take the AP test, dumbass.
>>
>>58866262
Calculus is easy, Americans are dumb.
>>
try real analysis and abstract algebra pleb
>>
>>58866286
so basically, do the homeworks and everything will be ok?
>>
Abstract algebra is harder.
>>
>>58866262
Lol if you can't into Calculus 1 'college' may not be for you friendo
>>
>>58866303
Yup, just that. Homework is more than enough.
I suffered enough because I believe maths was hard when it was I who was not even trying to do learn anything and just complaining. I started doing my homework and reviewing classwork and I was golden, straight from falling grade to average or slightly average
>>
>>58866303
You have to do at least 30 exercises because you re going to panic and forget about shit very easily, that means a lacking of basic understanding that could have been solved have u studied properly.
>>
>>58866262
Don't believe so much what people tell you. You'll start getting biased into thinking it's hard and you'll hit a wall. Thing with math is that unlike other classes that you can manage with memory alone for math you actually need to practice a lot since it relies on many meticulous steps.
Do what this anon said.
>>58866379
>>
If you're struggling right now then you might as well just drop out. Shit gets super tough when have to deal with High order differential equations and numerical methods.
>>
>>58866262
My professor did the same thing last year in my digital control theory class
>70% of people failed the exam last year anon! You need to work hard
>Don't work harder than I usually do
>Pass with 80%
>>
>universities still continue the fucking lie that advanced math is needed for CS
Jesus fucking shit. You need a fucking logic math class and that's it.

Yet another example of why universities are a waste of money and time and that learning shit yourself is a much more efficient use of your time and money.
>>
>>58866262
Calc 1 is easy. Calc 2 is hard.
>>
>>58866262
Calculus 1 is algebraic manipulation.
This weekend, just make hundreds of derivates.

N. Piskunov book,is free on internet.
Had thousands of problems with answers.
>>
I did pretty much everything they taught in my maths A-levels, was pretty easy.
>>
>>58867126
b-but good p-programmers need to be good at m-math!!!
>>
>>58866262
>work at uni
>witness this speech for the millionth time
>see the fear that it causes
>see the 60% people who know it isn't hard
>see the 50% people who are easily smart enough to do it fail since they didn't think they needed the effort
>listen to the profs lose their shit since their entire class is full of retards
>they want to give a different speech, but what the fuck else do they say. "HEY CLASS, DON"T RETARD"
>>
>>58866262
I'm from EU and in the first semester we had "mathematical analysis" where we covered everything from the limit up to the multivariable calculus, implicit functions and intro to differential equations.

Are US universities a meme?
>>
>>58867128
not really, just requires the rundown the weekend before the test approach
>>
>>58866262
jesus christ

western folk are such fucking pussies

calculus 1

lmao
git gud
this is why pajeet is taking your job
>>
File: file.png (69KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
69KB, 275x183px
>>58866262
>tfw did amazing in Calc 1 and 2, better than most of my high school math courses thanks to having a great professor
>Calc 3 professor over-explains shit, writes illegibly, and has an accent
God damnit I wish my 1 and 2 professor did 3 as well.
>>
Calculus is hard but like most subjects so long as you autistically fight it you can do well.

Wonder why 4chan does so well at it?
>>
>>58866262
The fail rate for an intro math course like calc 1 is related to the number of people who go to college for no other reason than society says everyone has to go.

People need to realize that not everyone is cut out for higher education.
>>
Its been so long that I completely forgot what the purpose of derivatives even is
>>
>>58866262
Calc1 is only hard because it's a brainlet filter
>>
At my university, people who score at the bottom 70% automatically fail. That means you need an average of around 86 in order to pass.
>>
>>58868134
Yes. Never make the mistake of comparing European universities with American ones. Especially in the fields of mathematics and physics countries like Italy, France and Germany are the best in the world.

t. Graduated in pure mathematics in Italy and now teaching in the US. I'm appaled at how little professors require from their students.
>>
>>58868433
Optimization and a few physics formulas are all I've used them for. Pretty much useless after you get sucked into the web dev blackhole
>>
A lot of people in my class got caught out from the lectures.
The professor demonstrated things with very basic problems (hurr a f(x) = x^2, f'(x) = 2x) while teaching and mislead people because the exam was full of some real nasty looking problems which just required intimate knowledge of identities to even approach.

Also Integration by parts is still fucking voodoo magic I understand it but using it still feels unnatural.
>>
>>58868558

Not to say it was a bad thing, 2nd year of comp sci is much more comfy because most of the chads / fuckheads flunk out because of the calc.
>>
>>58868535
>Pretty much useless after you get sucked into the web dev blackhole
Well yeah, web dev isn't CS.
>>
thats because main stream niggers, spics, and girls are falling for the CS meme and are the majority of those that drop out. azn's, pajeets, and whites are the only ones that pass
>>
>>58868529
How do I stop sucking at math?
>>
>have to take calculus I and II and physics I and II for my degree
am i gonna get screwed
>>
>>58868612
Nah third year is the best. A lot of the weebs and gamers drop out after the system courses and proofs thanks to c.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170209-154435.png (133KB, 1080x1711px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170209-154435.png
133KB, 1080x1711px
>>58868529
>Now check Nobel prizes per country
>>
>>58866262
When I first went to university I failed tons of classes because I was way more interested in going out and getting drunk and getting with girls. A lot of people just don't take it seriously because they're too immature and are used to high school being a breeze.

I'm 25 now and in my final year (I did 2 and a half years in psychology before I realised that was a waste of time and switch to computer science).

It's really not too hard. I'm incredibly immature and have no study habits but I'm sitting just under 3.0 GPA. It just comes down to how motivated you are my man, discipline yourself in something like fitness to build a good work habit and just put the effort in, you'll be completely fine.
>>
>>58868689
Proofs. Read them and write them.
>>
>>58868728
check the n° of inhabitants per region...
>>
>>58867126
Thing is, in the rest of the world CS is an actual science and thus requires understanding of the mechanisms behind computation, it's not a fucking glorified programing course, things like NP problems and cryptology rather than learn Python. The fact that Americans need to take calc (which is the basic of the basics yo understand infinitesimal math, yet you describe as "advanced math") is a holdover from old times when not everyone had to go to universities and CS was seen as a branch of mathematics still.
>>
Calculus 1 and 2 are more algebra than anything you learn in precalc. It's easy as fuck if you learn the basic derivative/integral rules.
>>
Calculus is pretty easy
Linear Algebra will eat you alive
>>
>>58868689
I could tell you what I tell to all my students: theory, exercise, theory, exercise and exercise and then theory. But it's simply an algorithmic method of approach. What you need to understand is the bigger picture. You need to understand and study why some theorems exist and what is their use, ask yourself "why is this theorem so important" and so on. Surely this can lead to madness and insanity but if you don't let mathematics drag yourself in the rabbit hole, albeit easy, you can figure out easier concepts by learning bigger ones. It's like Russian dolls.
>>
>>58868863
linear algebra is just addition and multiplication lolz
>>
File: 1469984280218.gif (793KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1469984280218.gif
793KB, 400x400px
>>58866283
>maybe people are just dumb
basically this
>>
>>58866262
It's easy if you're not a tard. Calculus isn't hard until you reach differential equations
>>
>CS majors
>smart
this is where the stereotype ends, OP
Cs majors are rarely legitimately intelligent, so when they study the most refined of any STEM field, they buckle under the pressure
>>
If you study it's not hard so study.
>>
math requirements for CS vary so greatly between universities, friend of mine got a graphic design degree, to get that he had to take an entry level web course, just basic HTML shit. However even to just take that there were 3 levels of calc as a prereq. Meanwhile my university let me have a CS degree and the highest level of math was trig.
>>
File: comfy.webm (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.webm
3MB, 400x225px
>>58869208
all we ever did with differential equations in our math lectures was pretty basic formulaic shit which was more tedious than it was hard
>look at equation
>which one of these 4 types is it
>solve accordingly

studying EE in Germany, no idea what it's like in the US
>>
>>58866262
The key is to practice. A lot. You need to get comfortable with the types of questions.
>>
It's only hard if you're the type of person who skips classes and passes up doing hard work to party but if you study, understand the concepts and spend time practicing it's not so bad. Calculus just intimidates people because it's the first math you have to understand why you're doing the things you do instead of plugging values into predefined functions. Also many people have a really huge dear of mental exertion for some reason.
>>
>>58866301
>tfw Galois theory
>>
>>58868529
Are you my professor? Do you like watches?
>>
>>58869135
Glasses like these would be good for certain Eastern videos.
>>
>>58868695
If you're retarded enough to have to ask, then yes
>>
File: manga_guide_to_calculus.png (387KB, 492x650px) Image search: [Google]
manga_guide_to_calculus.png
387KB, 492x650px
>>58866262
Just get this and you will be fine
>>
>what is WolframAlpha

Idiot fag
>>
>>58867071
>numerical methods

Easy as shit when you have a computer. The problem arises when retarded Stone Age maths courses require you to work out NM problems by hand. You end up doing a bunch of tedious sums according to some memorised list of instructions, and can't see the overall logic like you can when writing a program.
>>
Easy for engineers

Borderline impossible for CS weenies

Sorry kiddo :) :) :)
>>
For coding purposes you don't really have know how they work, you just need to memorize how to put it together and let the code do the math for you.
>>
I'm shit at math and I still managed to pass calc 1

Calc 2 raped my anus though
>>
>>58869518
>Engineers
>knowing anything about real math
>not just plugging numbers into equations that are basically guesswork by some Victorian industrialist and then multiplying the result by a safety factor of 10 because they know their system ain't shit and then crossing their fingers and praying the bridge doesn't collapse
>>
>>58868863
Linear algebra is still easy ...try differential geometry (physics major here)
>>
>>58868614
Not wrong, but I'd say 90% or more of us will end up there because the jobs are plentiful and generally pay well. Employers usually don't see a difference between CS, SWE, and IT and immediately jump to the conclusion that CS == good at computering. Given current trends, it's only going to get worse. You too will likely get sucked in, it's just a matter of time.
>>
>>58866262

My University had a lot of post-grad types that did free tutoring in the evening. I pretty much learned Calculus from my tutors because I am too slow/retarded to keep up in class. I honestly spent just as much time doing homework/studying with my tutors as people did on their own anyway. I am a complete math retard, that guy that got C- in High School. I got my CS meme degree last spring, you can do it OP.
>>
File: IMG_20170209_181841.jpg (2MB, 3096x4128px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170209_181841.jpg
2MB, 3096x4128px
>>58869515
this tbqh

pic very related
very exciting to do multiple iterations of some method where you just plug numbers in and don't need to think at all + which you won't ever do again
>>
I got a D in calc 1 the first time cause of my arrogance. Never had to study for a math class before Calc 1.

>only 20 passed the class
dont believe that lmao
>>
shit tier university right there

i bet your professor can't even write buzzfizz lmfao
>>
I thought this was a meme thread, but apparently not.

And you guys are all fucking idiots.
>>
>calc I
>calc II
>calc III
>engineering math
>linear algebra
>abstract algebra
>statistics
>organic chem I
>organic chem II
>physics I
>physics II
>accounting I
>accounting II
>biology I
>biology II
>microeconomics
>macroeconomics

What have I done with my life, /g/?
>>
I passed Calculus in High School (AP credit) with minimal studying. Honestly isn't that hard, but study hard if you're worried. You'll do fine.
>>
>>58869614

>bridge

>not being EE mass terrace

>not being a calc god with horns made of gold and a giant dick made of linear algebra
>>
>>58869942
heh, go up to accounting VI, it'll be fun
>>
>>58869942
lots of general courses, you now know enough to confidently pick a specialization and go deep with it.
>>
>>58868134
Dude. Not only do we have one less year for bachelor's than Americans, we also put more focus on the actual subject we are studying, rather than diluting it with hundreds of mandatory humanities courses and high school shit (like Calc I). Of course we are better.
>>
dude calc1 is literally limits, derivatives and some integrals

its fucking easy
>>
>>58869978
Here is a you because I am on the same boat
>>
>>58870020

>>58868134

American schools thrive more on graduate school for specialization and the like. EU/UK try to emulate what requires 5 years of study: AKA lets be try hard wannabe academians when most first course of study is for familiarization and networking.

>t. cletus with a fiance that studies in Wales
>>
File: 1477201339756.png (183KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1477201339756.png
183KB, 1024x576px
I'm just a simple IT man and I've always sucked at math since middle school (ironically I was actually classified as "advanced" in elementary school, but somehow everything took a 180 in 6th grade).

I just honestly cannot foresee any situation at all where I have to use calculus in administering a network or a network of systems or even designing it. I understand and appreciate the need for digital logic in my particular field, but I just can't see it for Calc, yet it's still blanket required for all engineering majors.

I think I'm just to stupid and it never fails to demoralize me when I think that I still have yet to take Calc I.
>>
>>58869995
I quite liked accounting but it really begged for a more stern mathematical analysis. Like soaking wet panty begging, but the business schools can't get their students to have a proper treatment of calculus to even begin.
>>58870018

It's already too late. I dropped out and joined the military senpai. Though now I shown competence enough and qualified at my job to apply for TA and start at a new school, though slowly.

And sweet GI bill for when I get out.
>>
here's the correct opinion on this matter

it's as hard as your professor wants to make it, not as /g/ says
problems based on the same basic knowledge everyone learns can be made arbitrarily easy or hard
>>
>>58869978
Wheatstone bridges are bridges too
>>
>>58869790
What's this?
>>
File: tumblr_mmjgbuiIu71r8vt52o1_500.png (206KB, 445x379px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmjgbuiIu71r8vt52o1_500.png
206KB, 445x379px
Calc 1 and 2 were fucking easy but yeah there were a lot of people that failed it. Basically because of what >>58868416 said though.

>get tests back
>consistently make high A's
>guy sitting next to me: "wow how did you get such a good grade that test was so hard!"
>did you do the homework questions?
>"no"
>did you study before the exam?
>"yeah for like an hour the night before!"
>mfw
>>
>>58866303
Dude if you do the homework and understand it when you do it you will do fine
>>
>>58866262
Its hard for a lot of people and where i live we have a 80% fail rate.

But again i am not living in the states where the only requirement in order to get a degree is paying enough money to the university every year.
>>
>>58866262
>tfw dropped out of CS/Math courses after studying for years in college because I felt like it was making me insane
>Nightmares at night, constant fear and terrorful feelings during the day, racing thoughts about equations and logical problems 24/7
Now I'm a comfy NEET, come join me OP, it's not worth it
>>
>>58868134
This is what we did in my calc one class as well
>>
>>58871829
God, I'm tempted every day man, but I can't get my dream job of working in a big ass corporate network/server room way up near the penthouse if I go NEET.

Tough choices all around my man.
>>
>>58866262
If you arent mathematically inclined (aka stupid) calculus can be hard. If you took precalculus its a breeze and if you understand algebra you shouldnt have any problems. Precalculus is basically algebra 3. Not really related to Calculus but there are some tricky algebra techniques youd need to solve some hard problems. But the concepts are straightforward as fuck.
>>
>>58866262
CALC 1 is easy as 3.14, II and III is where it's at niqqa
>>
>>58870761
Everything basically comes down to this. I took Calc 1,2,3, diff. Eq., and linear algebra as my pure math courses. All I did was read the text book and do the homework, and I got A's in all of them. Most people couldn't even be bothered to do the homework, and then they wonder why 60% of the class failed.
>>
File: 1423842362358.jpg (45KB, 309x306px) Image search: [Google]
1423842362358.jpg
45KB, 309x306px
>>58866262
>professors keep talking how hard is CALCULUS I

As mechanical engineer... I roll my eyes...
>>
>>58866262
/g/ memed me into studying CS at college back in 2010 believe it or not, I hated it. It was at that point I realised I enjoyed computers, I didn't know shit about CS though, or at least wasn't willing to learn. I just liked fucking around with GNU/Linux, still graduated after two years. In university atm.
>>
>>58866262
You do realise that a lot of niggers take CS because memey jobs in mainstream media right?
Also, these same niggers that got accepted, because education is for profit, don't know 4th grade math so that's why 50 failed.
>>
>>58866268
>>58866262
>>58867112

The professor has hard numbers from previous classes about the failure rate of calculus. I think he might know a thing or two about how difficult is a class based on historical evidence.
>>
>>58867126
It's one thing to learn bits and pieces of a subject. It's another thing to know which bits and pieces to learn in order to achieve a practical task. Unstructured self-study is difficult because you don't know what you don't know.
>>
>>58870158
didn't you know you need to be a master of calculus to configure OSPF 1 on a cisco switch in a network?
>>
>>58866262
>less than 30% pass rate on calc I
Are you at a historically black college? I've never hear of kids that dumb and I teach math at a tier 2 state uni.
>>
File: 1485553600745.jpg (5KB, 182x249px) Image search: [Google]
1485553600745.jpg
5KB, 182x249px
I couldn't finish algebra 2
>>
>>58866262
Calculus is easy. But his dropout rates are correct too. Figure out why.
>>
File: 1486330856482.png (28KB, 898x409px) Image search: [Google]
1486330856482.png
28KB, 898x409px
>>58866262
A weak mind such as yourself should listen to my story and take notes

Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer.

All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad.

My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.

A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.

Two of a kind is two flocks in a bush.
>>
>>58868455
>At my university, people who score at the bottom 70% automatically fail. That means you need an average of around 86 in order to pass.

What the fuck? 70% of all university attendees fail?
>>
>>58866262
It is easier than discrite math.
>>
>>58874070
The fuck does it matter that I'm at Howard, racist?
>>
>>58869648

I found differential geometry (and by extension, GR) relatively intuitive, though mathematically involved. Linalg on the other hand is not intuitive at all, even though the base operations are conceptually simple
>>
>>58874226
damn, that's hella funny
>>
>>58874226
Please be real.
>>
>>58874226
Include me in the screencap.
>>
>>58872796
What did you end up taking?
>>
>>58870738
if I remember correctly something to get the value of a function at a certain point given a differential equation
>>
File: 1484110720292.jpg (81KB, 528x729px) Image search: [Google]
1484110720292.jpg
81KB, 528x729px
>>58874146
Shame that all it takes is a single bullet to wipe out that smugness for eternity.
>>
>>58866262
you're not going to hear from the ones who failed duh, only the people who passed brag about it being "easy as fuck" to feel superior. Just study and put in constant effort and you'll be fine.
Also realize that in the first year there are many people who were going to flunk out anyway, calculus or no calculus. Just make sure you're not one of them
>>
>>58867126
>You need a fucking logic math class and that's it.
"pure" logic won't put food on my table. fucking brainlet

>>58868134

>here we covered everything from the limit up to the multivariable calculus
same, but it was split in 2 semesters

>>58869790
RK methods are cool
>>
>>58867126
CS isn't what you're supposed to study if you want to program for a living
>>
>>58866262
depends on uni and prof
sometimes calculus will just go over derivatives and integrals
other time you'll go into double integrals and that's when shit gets serious

it may be a bit hard to grasp at first, but once it clicks in, it's rather easy
only problem is getting moderately proficient at calculating everything
>>
File: niet.png (257KB, 978x479px) Image search: [Google]
niet.png
257KB, 978x479px
Why don't more people that aren't good at math but enjoy the CS field go into information technology? It's just CS minus maths.
>>
Depends on the school. I think my school is ranked number 1 or 2 for math (by some standards) and their calc program is actually really hard. I took calc II at community college instead and it was extremely easy
>>
All it takes to pass the class is to just READ THE FUCKING TEXTBOOK.

It is not hard. Calculus is not that bad. It's "Calculus I" for fucks sakes. If you understood Algebra, you can understand Calculus.

People fail because they think they can just get all they need from the lecture alone, and play video games and shitpost on 4chan the entire time they aren't in class.
>>
>tfw programming for a living and I don't have to do any of this complex math anymore

Feels good man, I have a math minor that says I know it too. :)
>>
CS is for people TOO STUPID to do math or engineering

Calc is hard for the average CS major, that is what your professor means
>>
>>58866262
I took cs with limited maths knowledge (b at gcse, uk) and I find most of the maths fairly easy. Most solutions to these problems are explained extensively on YouTube and several other websites found on the internet. As a cs student stack overflow and maths tutorials are your friend. Pro tip, the more effort you put into your programming during your early years the better you'll be able to pick up the skills that matter later on in the course.

Maths is one of these things especially for games engine engineering where performance is key. This is because it requires knowledge of function computation complexity which sounds horrible but is actually fairly simple. Best of luck
>>
>>58866997
Fucking loved math in school,of all my classes, math and chemistry were the only non bullshit ones for teaching.

What's this, from year to year, history can be wildly different depending on perspective
Oh shit, here comes english and its 'this is a rule that cant be broken' then the next sentence 'here are all the exceptions' then 'here are the exceptions to those exceptions' finally ending in 'here are things that just are, memorize them'

but math?

Here is a problem, solve it.

The only time math moved into bullshit was when an equation was not solvable and it could take around an hour to find out it was not solvable.
>>
If you have any actualt interest in CS, I'm hoping you're intelligent enough to do well in it, so I would also assume you'll be fine. Just do your homework and get a min. of 70 on each test
>>
>>58870020
> diluting it with hundreds of mandatory humanities courses and high school shit (like Calc I)

That's the issue with for profit, they require shit you have no use for, little brother is on his second semester of sjw indoctrination due to the people in charge of english only allowing sjw topics.
>>
>>58866262
Unless you picked this college because it was very easy to get into and you have a full scholarship or something, then you should expect that Calc1 will be hard.

A professor can make Calc1 as hard as he wants to make it.
>>
Im scared of Uni math because it seems like it always builds on previous experience and its been a few years since I was in highschool I'm scared I will have forgotten everything I've learned and be a complete idiot
>>
File: 14629004730650.gif (2MB, 240x256px) Image search: [Google]
14629004730650.gif
2MB, 240x256px
If you're only slacking off like most normie retards its hard
If you actually study its no big deal
>>
>>58878093
Found the shit professor
>>
>>58868728
I'll tell how many of those people were actually born in USA, let alone study there. Let me just say it's a depressing statistic. The only reason USA is first, is because it was a safe haven for everyone during World War 2 and the Cold War.
>>
>>58878119
thats exactly what's gonna happen
>>
>>58878371
wtf do i do then
>>
>>58875529
>CS minus math is IT

Then what's web dev?
>>
Like anything difficult, It's made easier with practice and by studying the material.

Stop cucking yourself.
>>
>>58866262
Most people are dumb. 4chan's IQ is slightly above average (surprisingly)
>>
File: 1483248235630.jpg (541KB, 1267x1521px) Image search: [Google]
1483248235630.jpg
541KB, 1267x1521px
is calculus used in any subjects like physiology biology chemistry biochemistry?
>>
>>58874146
>i call him Dr

lmao he probably thinks you're an autist or gay for him
>>
>>58878434
Take the classes you need to get back on your feet. Ex. Algebra 2, Trigonometry, Precalculus, etc. If you're going to spend time studying something, might as well get some elective credits out of it.
>>
>>58866262
It's easy. You just have to be willing to put in the time to learn it and use your studying time wisely instead of mindlessly trying to solve problem after problem. If you haven't got something in a couple of hours you need to ask someone for help or seek out a new resource with a different explanation.
>>
I did all the recommended problems from the textbook and still failed the exam. Second time failing the course btw.

Calc 1.
>>
>>58875397
What the fuck is CS for then?
>>
>>58866262
you're in 4chan land anon. on 4chan, you're a brainlet. out there in the real world, you're probably average or maybe even one of the smarter students. I don't doubt one second that only 20 passed Calc 1. people are fucking stupid.
>>
>>58879428
yeah, its like that scene in 'a brilliant young mind' out there you may be some autistic savant but here you're just autistic
>>
Calculus is literally just a bunch of memorizing of the properties of limits and derivatives and knowing how to factorize.

I don't how knowing that will contribute anything to a CS major.
>>
>>58878819
Outside of statistics? No.
>>
What kind of retard gallery has a pass rate of 28.5%, for Calculus 101?
>>
For the longest time I don't think the vast majority of programmers working outside of academia needed anything past Calc I. Now that ML / optimization problems are becoming trendy as fuck, there's actually some financial value in pursuing some higher level math. Just make sure you combine it with statistics.
>>
>>58866285
Mfw ill fail it in the next week
>>
Tell me what its calculus?
At my uni we have separate courses for algebra, geometry and analysis 1 to 3 for engineering 4 and 5 for math major
>>
>Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

...this is a fucking joke, right?

Please tell me this is a joke.

>My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

Yeah, this is a joke. Or you're seriously, massively autistic. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

That being said, one of the perks of being in a niche major is that your professors past the first year or two literally know your name and actually remember you 3 years later.

And sometimes you just get really cool professors;
>One class we have to do is on another campus with tons of students
>Professor is 30 or so
>One of the adjuncts is a 11/10 grill
>3 day field trip that includes camping, 100+ people
>Night rolls around
>Professor comes up with a bottle of Heineken in hand
>"I need you all to pitch in some money and I want 4 people in the truck in 5 minutes, we're going over to town for some booze."
>Go in truck
>This place is a full of vineyards
>Come back with, and I am not exaggerating, a 20 crates of beer, 5 crates of hard liquor, and 5 large carboys of local wine
>This happens the other two nights as well, and all the booze is gone after each night

One night I ended up trashed drinking rum & coke out of a thermos, on a lounge chair with all the guys from my major, the professor, and one of the adjuncts talking about how incredibly fuckable the female adjunct was.
>>
>>58866262
From my experience (my college is pretty easy compared to others, I think), Calculus I can be easy if you study for it, but most first-semester students are too lazy to do that.
I was scared of it too, so I studied until I understood everything. Then I realised it wasn't that much after all. Got a 100%.
Meanwhile like 50 out of 120 students failed the exam.
>>
>>58871829
I know that feel, one time I studied multiple days for a test, I literally saw equations when I closed my eyes and my mind didn't come off of them.
Shortly after the exam I became sick and couldn't study for 5 days, made me feel like new with a clear mind.
>>
>>58878434
>>58878119
Same to me, I'm in second semester now, soon starting third.
We had one week of intro course to catch up with missing math. They went through everything that we had to know from our previous schools in 5 days, but really fast, more like a summary.
This was the time I studied the most up to now, I woke up, went to the lecture, went home and studied until I went to sleep, repeat. It helped that I had nothing better to do at the time anyway.
This was VERY worth it and you can catch up to everything too.
>>
>>58868728
>All those Jews
Why do people take the noble prize seriously?
>>
>>58873662
Or people got that cs was shit and just left
>>
> tfw taking discrete math after a two year break in math

im scared i'll fail
>>
>>58878577
IT

I had to take two separate web development courses at my college (majoring in IT) after taking basic C++ and OOP w/ Java as prerequisites.

I now know way too fucking much about WebDev. It is actually insane in comparison to traditional programming, mostly because you don't work in one language only.

Regular programming with a specific language is like having a toolbelt, or a neatly organized toolbox. At least that's how I remember it.

WebDev is like having a bunch of tools scattered everywhere, with specific bits for specific screwdrivers and drills thrown all over the place. You then have to figure out what bits work with what screwdrivers/drills, and organize everything perfectly so that you can make sense of the mess.
>>
>>58866262
If you study you pass. That is how simple college is.
>>
>>58879832
t. Cringe
>>
>>58880417
Discrete math isn't math, it's just a bunch of logic shit.
>>
File: 1485102270439.jpg (296KB, 936x936px) Image search: [Google]
1485102270439.jpg
296KB, 936x936px
>taking CS
>decide to join course group chat on jewbook
>filled with normies struggling to install java
>others asking about how to factorise some quadratics that were part of some introductory tests to see how retarded people are

I'm not even at a bad uni but I just found it bizarre.
>>
>>58867126

Buh buh anon you need to be able to differentiate to create user interfaces! Everyone knows that!
>>
>>58866262
>have CS 101 with 300 others
>never wrote a line of code before
>started understanding how to plan a program after 3 weeks
>was one of the 50 who made it through the course
>>
>>58878819
I've used in chem and bio subjects to predict growth and decay
>>
>>58881604
Sounds like your professor was just shit. Basic calc was required for working with series and sets
>>
>real analysis and abstract algebra
>hard
Brainlets.
>>
>>58875742
ugh no. Stewart Calc. is a mess. The best thing to do is checkout a copy of Spivak or Apostol from your school library
>>
>>58866262
All anybody needs to pass any university math course is 3 books:

"The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Zeitz. This is the former coach of the US math olympiad team. This will teach you strategies for solving problems (not exercises, as the book explains the difference). This is also essential for computer programming.

"Concepts of Modern Mathematics" by Ian Stewart. This is a nightschool course he gave to adult learners going back to university that taught 'modern math' so abstract algebra/linear algebra, analysis, probability ect.

"Elements of Mathematics: From Euclid to Godel" by Stillwell. This is a mathematicians high level survey of 'elementary' mathematics and how it all fits together. By elementary he means calculus, probability, gaussian intergers ect.

That's really all you need to get the intuition, and skills to solve problems. Now just do what Cal Newport did and you'll fly through undergrad math courses easily: http://calnewport.com/blog/2008/11/25/case-study-how-i-got-the-highest-grade-in-my-discrete-math-class/

This math is all really simple really. It gets hard if you decide to go into complexity theory and need to generate functions to analyze algorithms whereas Machine Learning/AI, the math is all very basic just familiarity with eigenvectors/LA, and basic stats and probability.
>>
>>58883888
>read three gigantic textbooks to get good at math

gee
>>
>>58866262
Prepare for discrete math.

Mostly easy but the abstract stuff is cancer, actually had to activate my almond breifly.
>>
>>58884322
>gigantic

Brainlet they are tiny books, can complete each one in under a week.
>>
>>58884322
Grad students read 300+ papers per month.
>>
>>58866262
It's easy. If you have a shitty professor at shit school that doesn't care if you pass it or fail it you're out of luck.
>>
File: 1482872104236.jpg (26KB, 480x326px) Image search: [Google]
1482872104236.jpg
26KB, 480x326px
>>58866262
>2017
>studying
>in murika
Top kek
enjoy your degree being as valuable as gender studies
>>
>>58866283
>maybe people are just dumb.

They are and anybody can go to college these days and walk out with some kind of half-ass degree.
Universities are not just the institutions of advanced learning for advanced minds they were in the past.
They are filled with riffraff now you can't even believe passed high school.
>>
>>58884476
If American universities are so shitty, why do so many people from your country come here to get a degree?
>>
>>58884417
k

im going to read the first book but this had better not be a fucking meme
>>
You all have it easy. Try taking a 4 year break between high school and college, and during that 4 year break, having the army beat all intelligence out of you and replacing it with obedience and thought policing.
>>
>>58884541

They're rich kiddies of foreigners who go to harvard, yale and MIT. Not shitty community colleges.
>>
>>58884541
>from my country
which is?
Lol kid, you don't even realize how wrong you are at this point.
>>
>>58884609
>teleports behind u
>>
>first day of CS
>professor mentions something called emacs
>stand up and call him a macfag
>walk out
>>
>>58884476
US has some elite schools now, look at this curriculum http://www.proofschool.org/course-descriptions-1 I don't remember doing Combinatorics in Grade 8 but in hindsight I definitely could have, it's just simple multiplication of n takes k out of N set.

>>58884516
They aren't "dumb" they are taught improperly by a shit system that was Obama's horrible common core that rewards mediocrity. The reason every university has a Calc I class they push most students into is because it's sole purpose is to reteach math from ground up.

>>58884570
Don Knuth on how he excelled in Math classes before becoming a Mathematician: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12444970

"I could just coast in mathematics, because I’d learned how to solve problems." that's exactly what the book 'Art & Craft of Problem Solving' teaches. How to solve hard problems in mathematics and programming with a well proven strategy.

There's also MIT lecture vids for this, like explaining the insight of calculus https://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-005-highlights-of-calculus-spring-2010/

That's all you need insight + problem solving strategy = excel at any undergrad mathematics
>>
>>58884599
>Talking out of your ass
>get called out
>Oh um well obviously I meant something else!
>>
>>58884681
You do realize I'm not the same person, right?
kill yourself
>>
>>58884718
>kys
Aren't you supposed to be in class?
>>
>>58884754
No, I'm actually off work.
Feels great to work remotely in telecommunication. :^)
>>
>>58873662
Most CS students are shitters. They are possibly retarded. So many of them can't even establish cause and effect, or follow through a chain of events in their head.

A shitload of students couldn't write fizzbuzz in less than an hour. Does that mean it's hard?
>>
>>58884821
CS education is pretty fucked. Employers don't seem to understand what it is, nor do students, but I will ride this money train until people learn better.
>>
File: apu.png (31KB, 200x201px) Image search: [Google]
apu.png
31KB, 200x201px
Is there any guidance book by book to read for neets that want to learn calculus 1 & 2 on their own?

I mean, I can solve some simple calculus, I know formulas etc. but I do not understand where is it from, why is it working, I feel like i miss some kind of background required to deeply understand it..

There must be some kind of book.

I asked /sci/ once but they said I am brainlet and I should btfo.
>>
>>58879832
you know that's a pasta right?
>>
>>58884918
>N. Piskunov book,is free on internet.
>>
>>58884918
the calculus concepts are easy as shit though. if you suck at calculus that means you suck at algebra
>>
>>58866262
None of the math courses that I have taken in college (and so far I've only taken basic shit like Calc) are actually difficult if you do your work and the problems in the book. It is hard as fuck to do all of those, because there's other shit that I'd rather be doing in that time that provides instant gratification, like shitposting on here.
>>
>>58884986
math is hard when you get one of those professors who doesnt actually make their own lectures and literally just regurgitates shit from the book
>>
>>58884963
I can solve calculus, but I have no idea how thing like Derivative were proven legit.

Using formulas to solve shit is like programming in C without understanding of stack frame.
>>
>>58885015
what concepts do you not understand in calculus 1 exactly
>>
>>58884638
>First day of CS
>Professor opens up internet explorer to pull up the syllabus
>Looks at the keyboard and types with two fingers to sign into his account
>Teachers Assistant does the entire lecture for him
I'm glad I only had him for one class
>>
File: equation-3.gif (10KB, 599x286px) Image search: [Google]
equation-3.gif
10KB, 599x286px
>>58867126

If you wanna do cool stuff with programming you need to learn advanced maths, like fourier transformations.

If you want to be a code monkey you don't really need math, that's true.
>>
>>58884918
Yes as posted before: https://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-005-highlights-of-calculus-spring-2010/
>>
>>58885061
You are mistaking CS with the ability to program or use tech. It seems that you want to go to a tradeschool like ITTech or something.

That CS professor probably has a PhD in complexity research. You can absolutely get a PhD in CS without ever touching a computer, like Church's lambda calculus or Turing's research.
>>
According to /sci/, everything math related is cristalyzed intelligence, like chess. As in you have to solve 1000 exercises a week. Less if you're capable, more if you're a retard
>>
>>58885161
It was actually just a shitty Blender class for an art credit, but I wanted an excuse to shitpost. He's technically in the CS faculty, but I dont remember what his degree was in.

Dude was a massive creep though. He'd always lean over the girls in the class to move their mouse when they asked for help.
>>
>>58885272
>cristalyzed intelligence
???????????????????
>>
What book do/did you have for your Calculus classes? We had Calculus: A Complete Course in my university in Sweden.
>>
>>58885328
my brain shuts down whenever I come across a word in english that has weird, almost random repeating letters that sound exactly the same, and I'm lazy to actually get it right today
no bully pls

t. phonetic language native speaker
>>
>>58885351
I dont think he was confused by your spelling
>>
I'm reading through this thread, about halfway through right now and I'm in tears. You kids literally struggle with Calculus? Pfffffft please, like seriously, I'm dying here. You realize at like, every University ever, the Calculus courses are the bare minimum needed to get a minor in math? It's literally considered entry level math at the college level. It's offered in countless high schools across the nation because of this. I'm actually baffled at whether or not you guys are trolling at this point, because if you genuinely don't have the intelligence and/or work ethic to get through something as basic as calculus, you need to drop out now. Your work ethic alone isn't enough to get through the upper divison courses.

I am beyond embarrassed I share with board with you guys. You're the types of people who would get offered paid internships from companies like Google and turn it down because you are too fucking lazy and autistic to put forth any actual effort. Enjoy coming home from class every day and refusing to do any homework, and then crashing and burning in only your second year at college. You are the reason free college will never be feasible.
>>
>>58885351
>cristalyzed
but what did you mean by this?
>>
File: canYouREadThis.jpg (85KB, 564x558px) Image search: [Google]
canYouREadThis.jpg
85KB, 564x558px
>>58885351
>>
>>58885392
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_and_crystallized_intelligence
>>
>>58885399
im dubm no bully!
>>
>>58885410
but, anon, my post was not an attempt to bully you.

I am from third world as well
>>
>needs math for a COMPUTER SCIENCE degree

you guys are like top level trolls or just retards. in CS all you do is play with IFs and ELSE

what kind of CS needs you to play with math, you're not a mathematician, you're a COMPUTER SCIENTIST
>>
>>58885502
this
Whats more, CS is not a real degree.

When we look for example at physic.

Majority of math required for calculation in physic was invented by physic.

While all math in CS was invented by math people.
>>
>>58885502
>All you do is play with IFs and ELSE

Pajeet, someday you will learn control structures beyond IF statements.

But until then, finish that PHP script
>>
File: 1455631714287.jpg (81KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1455631714287.jpg
81KB, 400x400px
>>58885388
>>
>>58884918
Apostol Calc
>>
>>58866262
Calculus really is easy. It's all about manipulating what you have to get trends. It's all about averages.
>>
Calc I was pretty easy. Easy enough that I was able to get it done in fucking High School. Calc II is a little harder, but not really. Just pay the fuck attention in class.

If 70 students take a class, and only 20 pass, it suggests that the professor sucks. If a class is genuinely hard, you might see that with 70 people taking it, at most 20 will fail. But a great number will pull C's due to the difficulty of the tests.
>>
>>58885502

>what kind of CS needs you to play with math
Cryptography
Artificial Intelligence
Natural Language Processing
Computer Graphics
Programming Language Theory
Algorithms...
>>
>>58866262
You can just cheat through the annoying sciency stuff by getting and memorizing previous exams. Just like algorithms and that stuff. Unless you are planning to work on Google car or other difficult stuff you really don't need to know all of that math bullshit.

To get into companies you should read and memorize a few books about software development interviews. After a few years of telling everyone you are doing work for somebody else in the company nobody will know what the fuck you are actually supposed to do and you can finally spend all your time on Facebook or chatting. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>58866262

>CALCULUS I,
What's covered in this?
>>
>>58886276
This. A classic. A shame Apostol died last year.
F
>>
>>58866262
It's easy, even monkeys can learn calculus 1. Lol. I learnt it when i was 14 yo
>>
>>58878313
>because it was a safe haven
It was a safe haven primarily because it is the best country
>>
>>58886890
its about understanding not learning

and those two are different because 1% of people would be able to show proofs required for formulas they are using
>>
>>58885049
I do not know how was derivative invented how it was proven to be legit.
>>
>>58866262
It's time for a new professor
>>
>>58866262
>being scared of baby math
>>
>>58873662
As an assistant professor (which means fuck all in my country but "work the professor doesn't want to do"), I can safely say the issue is relaxed entrance standards rather than subject difficulty. Fuck CS newbie retards.
>>
>>58867126
I have a young professor for the course of Algorithms who gives shit to all other senior professors. He studied maths, in particular discrete mathematics and logic, but nothing technology-related anyway, as a difference to most of other professors in my univ.
>>
>>58866296

calculus isn't easy, but its not really hard either

linear algebra is hard
>>
>>58866262
>tfw, Calc 3 next semester
>>
>leave assignment for last day
>panic and think i do really good for the time i had left
>program doesnt work as it should but most of the logic is fine anyway
>get an A
CS is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>58884918
i feel you pain, frogposter.Calc 2 is hard as fuck
>>
>>58890189
how do I pass calc 2?im on Integration by fucking parts,partial fractions..trig sub
>>
Where do I start learning ( algebra, calc I ) ?
Are there some online resources ?
>>
if you cant figure out integration youre a brainlet
>>
>>58891721
kahn academy is good for mathematics I think
>>
>>58890538
Fucking kids today have it easy
>CS Class circa 2000
>Syllabus grading rules:
>Program doesn't compile? = F
>Program turned in late? = Dock one letter grade
>Cannot explain how a particular section works? = F and maybe Honor Code violation charges
>Part of program doesn't work as intended? Docked one letter grade, continues for multiple failures until F
>>
>>58891852
My C programming class from a few years ago was similar to this. It weeded out a ton of students.
>>
>people being shit at taking the exponent number and multiplying the main number with it while square rooting the original number
are all americans this dumb
>>
>Falling for the calculus jew

Most college coding courses can be taught in 2 years or less. They just tack on all these stupid extra classes to make their programs look better and jew more money out of you.
>>
>>58885335
Calculus – Early Transcendental Functions, 6th edition
>>
i took it last semester at a nearby university
i'm in calc II now
i had/have the highest grade in both classes
i'm a senior in high school

honestly it's easy as shit like, it's just a little bit different than all the math you've been doing up to this point. Just be open minded and love the subject and there's no way you can fail.
>>
>>58894401
>Just be open minded and love the subject and there's no way you can fail.
Literally the equivalent of "JUST BE CONFIDENT BRO".
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-01-28-15h40m58s076.jpg (16KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-01-28-15h40m58s076.jpg
16KB, 184x184px
I'm just going to talk from experience because 99% of the people on /g/ are pretty similar

it's not hard

You've gone through life putting pretty minimal effort into things, things come pretty easy to you. Well this is it, this is the end of the curve, you're having trouble understanding something at first glance and it's bothering you.

University is difficult. Any teacher will tell you that for every hour you spend in class you need 3 hours of self study. Lucky for you, you'll probably only need a third of that, but you have to put in the time.

Find a tough problem set. Sit down with the text (yes the text) and figure it out
>>
>>58866262
>CALCULUS I

Holy shit, are you in high school?
>>
>>58891852
>Program doesn't compile? = F
That is even harsher than my uni. For us:
>Program doesn't compile? = 50% of the grade lost
>>
>>58866262
It's not hard. But it does require at least 2-3 hours per night to understand it enough to pass the exams. If you can't afford that kind of time commitment, that's when it becomes hard.
>>
>>58866262
Must be something wrong with your sampling senpai, 2/7 pass rate is well below the 9/10 passrate among the general population
>>
>mfw taking calculus online
>mfw don't even have to try
kek
>>
>>58894505
Pretty much this. In my case they call it math analysis and it's not hard. The main difference to me was that professors explain a bit faster than in high school and you just have to get used to it. Some people need more, some less to study.

That being said in that class we started being ~50 people and ended the semester with only ~15. Your best bet is to sit down at least an hour or until you finish a page of exercises.
>>
>>58894505
I hope this really works.calc 2 is really holding me back...
>>
>>58869942
failed to take enough statistics classes.

How will you become an actuary now anon?
>>
>>58890108
lol wut, linear algebra is stupidly easy
>>
>>58880430
just use node.js for everything and keep piling npm modules on until it does something.

There, now you only have to use javascript and you can just wait to get acquhired and someone else can make it scale.
>>
>>58885121
I could just use a library to do that for me retard.

I don't have to know a goddamn thing except what I want to make. If you ever find yourself implementing a fourier transformation you dun fucked up somehow.
>>
>>58866262
they always do this
>only 5 people passed last time!
i'ts a way to scare you into studying
>>
>>58866262
>be in CS
There's your problem.
Every single university on this cucked rock wants a slice of the CS meme pie and is admitting anyone with the brain capacity to fill out an application and a payment plan. Your professor probably gave that speech to point back at whenever 95% of these shitters demand regrades & retakes for the (((((((((((((((((unfair))))))))))))))))) exams instead of telling the truth and calling them lazy retards.
>>
>>58894800
>all implementations are equally efficient and will never need optimizations or modifications that require understanding of the theory behind it

What's it like being a brainlet ape, dude? Having fun """programming""" yet another website frontend for your bosses in India?
>>
>>58891852
This is still the case in any program worth a damn.
>>
>>58879407
The study of how to use computers to solves math problems
>>
>>58866283
>maybe people are just dumb.
I've read that in the past, the minimum IQ required to actually do well at college-level material is around 115 - the top 16% of the population or so, I think.
But according to Google, over 65% of American high school graduates attend college! What percentage of the population is this? Less than 65%, sure, but maybe close to 50%.
So it may be the case that the majority of college students have IQs below 115, in many cases significantly below.
And keep in mind, even a 115 IQ is not especially smart - it's like Buzzfeed journalist level, not the level of someone who could become a good mathematician or physicist, or even really a good programmer.
So in short, yes, people are dumb.
>>
>>58895132
Sorry. replace "is around" in the first sentence with "was considered to be around" ... heh heh.
>>
>>58894401
t-thanks normie
>>
>>58884821
t. dropout
>>
>>58866262
It's not exactly rocket science why people fail.
People mostly go there for CS. They can code, they can come up and can implement good ideas.

But, someone, sometime figured it would be great if they forced heavy math on CS.
Thus, tons just drop out even though they would make fine programmers.

I mean, at my uni we had very good programmer guys who already worked, they developed good stuff.
But failed to get a degree because of math.
For me, I managed to pass, but I absolutely suck at programming.

"The system works!"

Not saying heavy math and algebra is not required sometimes.
But heck, I believe the heavy math/algebra could be moved to MSc and keep programming mostly and basic math in BSc.
>>
>>58872763
at least physics with calculus is not that bad. :^)
>>
File: 1400699564090.jpg (38KB, 288x499px) Image search: [Google]
1400699564090.jpg
38KB, 288x499px
>>58895626
I'm an ET/IT major, yet I have to take Calc I and II and Discrete

>mfw
>>
>>58891852
lol what a baby, homework delivered late should always be a Fail
>>
>>58866262
Holy shit differential calculus is easy as fuck op. If u want real calculus, wait for integral lol
>>
>CS 1st year
2 sections, 80+ retards
>CS 4th year
10 retards, 2 people
If not for the 2 people, the other 10 retards would have failed because no one would have helped them with their thesis.
After I got my diploma I went the fuck out of there, never came back, never contacted any of my batch mates. It's been 2 years, been working for nearly 3, pretty sure those idiots still don't have jobs.
Starting my MBA this year so I can stop being a code monkey, it'll be free as well because my company will pay for it. :^)
>>
>>58895652
>complaining about discrete math
Nigger.
>>
File: 1376217073478.png (150KB, 800x794px) Image search: [Google]
1376217073478.png
150KB, 800x794px
>>58873662
>The professor has hard numbers from previous classes about the failure rate of calculus.

That's what happens when a system uses affirmative action.

You put a bunch of dumb niggers and dumb whores who have a low initial threshold, they fail by majority, and then you use their numbers to leave a false impression that a certain field or subject are scary so retarded idiots without a brain or willpower get scammed by it.
>>
>>58866268
Or CS students are brainlets.
>>
>lecturer provides 'fill in' lecture notes, for proofs AND definitions
>lecturer makes us memorize 50 pages of proofs
>provides maybe 3 question sheets for the whole course that are miles away from the actual exam questions
>>
File: Toronto-KingSt-Datacenter-1.jpg (2MB, 4201x3001px) Image search: [Google]
Toronto-KingSt-Datacenter-1.jpg
2MB, 4201x3001px
Can one seriously study CS with edX courses and affiliated online teachings?
>>
>>58866262
I have calculus 2 in two weeks and I feel like triple integrals will rape my ass ;_;
>>
>>58895626
God damn son you took the words right out of my fingers. Most of the programmers at my (me included) don't have degrees. The company tried implementing a degree requirement a few years back but dropped it when more than half the programmers put in their 2 weeks. I wasn't their when it happened but the guys tell me they'd rather do shittty freelance then have to go back to school.
>>
>>58898602
at my job
>>
just study for once?
>>
>>58897882
Yes. MIT, Udacity and Coursera.

I go to a top 25 university in Europe and the MOOCs are a lot tougher than my courses in university.
>>
>>58866262
>>professors keep talking how hard is CALCULUS I, how from 70 from last semester only 20 passed it, how hard is for people, blah, blah, blah, hard, really hard

This used to happen pretty much every year in the Comp. Eng. program (which I've found to be damn near identical to many CS programs) at the university I used to study at. It was so bad the first year dropout rate was something like 50%.

The reason why so many people fail the introductory math classes is that they don't understand what Comp. Eng. is actually about, but apply anyway despite not having done anything beyond the basic maths at HS level.

The solution to this turned out to be to reduce the number of available starting positions, which in turn cranked up the entry requirements and significantly reduced the dropout rate when most of the dropout didn't get accepted in the first place.

Also, a CS program, or a Comp. Eng. one for that matter, is not a code monkey school. It's supposed to produce high quality engineers with a very good understanding of the fundamentals and can thus be trusted to produce solutions that don't have any fundamental level problems.

If you want to be a code monkey and write JavaScript with Node.js for a living, do one of those code boot camp things, not a real university degree.
>>
>>58895626
You've sort of got it the wrong way around...

What actually happened was that CS grew out of pure maths when computers and computing research came about. Back then computers really were the tools of mathematicians and the people who worked on them generally were mathematicians themselves.

Enter a few decades of computers becoming more and more accessible and you had more and more people who couldn't tell you what a fourier transformation was if you put a gun to their temple being able to work on these machines. Eventually at some point these people started to believe that CS should be about what they're doing and not what it's always been and eventually we get to where we are today with people who have no understanding of maths beyond that taught in middle school moaning that CS, a program spun out of pure mathematics, is somehow too mathematical.

Seriously, if you just want to be a code monkey, don't do CS, just do a code boot camp and be done with it.
>>
>in calc 2
>material up to first test all integrals (integration by parts, trig sub)
>do all the homework with an online calculator and barely work any by hand
>study for like one or two hours before

I fucking failed that test which I really shouldn't have. Point is you gotta work out problems. Also don't just read over problems in your notes (it doesn't help at all) actually do them.

You can use external sources to help solve problems, just don't depend on them entirely
>>
>>58898868

>letting a computer do your trig sub

trig sub technique takes a little practice to identify, solve, and not waste time m8 that was stupid
>>
>>58899234
I'm aware of that now. I can go through most of the process just fine, but the end part where you replace the trig with the original function still confuses me

I also fucked up on other things that I will really need to study more
>>
>>58869099
You would think that wouldn't you

Well it's not anything like what the name implies
>>
>>58874146
How can you be so impressed with yourself from reading wiki's and knowing the product and quotient rule for derivatives lol
>>
>>58894505
>You've gone through life putting pretty minimal effort into things, things come pretty easy to you. Well this is it, this is the end of the curve, you're having trouble understanding something at first glance and it's bothering you.
Pretty much exactly where I'm at
>>
>ITT:
>What CS isn't just a glorified codeacademy course? How could they?!
>>
>>58874146
I didn't know this was a cringe thread.
>>
>>58868821
>Thing is, in the rest of the world CS is an actual science
And yet America stomps the rest of the world in CS related output. Really makes you think.
>>
Who /can't handle formal logic/ here? Math undergraduate, everything else is easy peasy but I have no fucking idea how to prove even the simplest statements. And I still don't understand why some sets are countable and others aren't.
>>
>>58898662
heard any feedbacks about CS50?

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
>>
>>58866262
Calc I is piss-easy. Calc II is typically the math weeding-out class; but the concepts aren't super difficult once you get the hang of it.

t.Math Minor
>>
Calculus easier than my fucking data structures class...

Hell even DE is easier
>>
>>58900894
Proofs are hard as fuck when you first do them. You just have to keep doing them and practice them to get used to it. It becomes easier over time. And here's a way to think of countable sets. In a countable set, if you're at a certain number in a set, you can always pick the next number in the set, without skipping numbers. In an uncountable set, there will be at least one point in the set where you cannot do this; this is because at least one number will exist that is still in the set and between the two numbers you picked.

For example, take the even numbers and the real numbers. In the even numbers, you can always pick the next number in the set. If you're at 0, the next number is 2. Then, the next number is 4. No number exists in the set that is between 0 and 2, or 2 and 4, and so forth. Now try this with the real numbers. In between 0 and 2, we have 1 in the set and between those two numbers. Now try 0 and 1. Now we have .5 in the set in between those two numbers. Try again with 0 and .5, and you get .25. And so on in so forth. In the real numbers, you literally cannot pick the "next number" in the real number sequence, because for any two numbers you pick, the average of those two numbers is also in the set and occurs before the higher of the two numbers you picked.

Obviously this isn't formal, but hopefully it gives a more intuitive explanation of why some sets are countable and others are not.
>>
>>58870761
Lmao I didn't do any of the homework either nigger

Just shows you're retarded that you even needed to
>>
>>58902174
>data structures
passed that shit with a B. Fuck that class. Does CS get any harder than this?
>>
>>58873662
no he wants to make his student works
that's why he want to scared them
he want them to be prepared
>>
>>58866262
If you have a brain and know how to read a text it's easy. I switched from my CS major to Math because the CS courses were such a bore.
>>
Cal isn't hard, it just depends if u want to try or not. If you do your hw and pay attention you should pass with at least an 80. Or be like me and not give a shit and pass with a c.
>>
File: 1486828144026.png (191KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1486828144026.png
191KB, 510x346px
>>58902265
>>
how do I into cal-kool-us 2 ?
>>
>>58866262
CALCULUS I is easy as fuck as long as you're not as stupid as 70% of the population
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.