[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Computers are enormously quicker but software development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 1481532901874.jpg (38KB, 304x758px) Image search: [Google]
1481532901874.jpg
38KB, 304x758px
> Computers are enormously quicker but software development is not faster.
> Dependency management is a big part of software development today but the “header files” of languages in the C tradition are antithetical to clean dependency analysis—and fast compilation.
> There is a growing rebellion against cumbersome type systems like those of Java and C++, pushing people towards dynamically typed languages such as Python and JavaScript.
> Some fundamental concepts such as garbage collection and parallel computation are not well supported by popular systems languages.
> The emergence of multicore computers has generated worry and confusion.

Tell me why C/C++ is not going to be replaced by Rust/Go.
Picture not related
>>
>There is a growing rebellion against cumbersome type systems like those of Java and C++, pushing people towards dynamically typed languages such as Python and JavaScript.

If that were true it'd be a point against Rust and Go, not for them. As it is Typescript is increasingly popular, most dynamic languages including JS are getting optional type annotations, and webassembly will probably graciously kill it dead at some point and let us move on from the early 90s when "scripting languages" weren't so obviously terrible.
>>
>>58849118
all the high-level problems that rust and go solve are already solved in newer versions of C++

for writing low level stuff (i.e. ring 0) there is little reason to use anything besides C
>>
>>58849169
>all the high-level problems that rust and go solve are already solved in newer versions of C++
Nice buzzword. Point to me where the abomination of C++ templates got fixed
>>
>>58849187
C++ templates are fine, they're probably the only reason i would recommend C++ over C for anything
>>
>>58849351
>C++ templates are fine

C++ templates shit out screenfuls of incomprehensible garbage on any kind of substitution failure, which is something the design committee has admitted needs correction and has been trying and failing to fix with concepts for the past decade or so. They also interact badly with C++'s antiquated header file system.
>>
File: 1484084902883.gif (2MB, 384x512px) Image search: [Google]
1484084902883.gif
2MB, 384x512px
>>58849118
/g/ had help me several times, faster than stackoverflow
>>
>>58849471
you get the same shit when you get errors with macros or metaprogramming in any other language, turns out generic programming is not simple and is still a ripe problem space

you don't fix this problem by using rust or go, you just don't get to do metaprogramming
>>
>>58849118
Do you have any sources or are these just your opinions?

>There is a growing rebellion
>>
>>58849118
Rust provides cost free abstraction, if it gets libraries half as big as C++, C++ is kill.

Don't know about golang though. Golang is supposed to be a good replacement for Java or Python etc. Which is fine but Golang doesn't even support commong library bindings yet (such as gtk3 or Qt)
>>
>>58849634
Name one programming community that does not complain about C++ being shit
>>
>>58849653
What the fuck is a "programming community"?

Most C++ projects don't complain about C++ being shit, for starters.
>>
File: 1484431462231.jpg (17KB, 435x312px) Image search: [Google]
1484431462231.jpg
17KB, 435x312px
>>58849118
>like those of Java and C++
>conveniently omits C#, the most popular compiled language on the planet
>>
>>58849666
>the most popular compiled language on the planet
That is demonstrably not true.
>>
>>58849666
C# is Java 2.0 Get the hell out with your rebranded fisher price
>>
>>58849619
You don't get the same problems in other languages. Rust and most other modern or semi-modern programming languages with generics have a notion of typeclasses or traits which encode the requirements of the generic function into the type system and let the compiler offer an informative error message for why a call failed instead of printing out a three page trace into some random line in someone else's library code. It's a solved problem already outside C++.
>>
>>58849666
>C#
Why is /g/ full of shameless microsoft shills?
>>
>>58849511
Who is this qtπ?
>>
>>58849679
traits or typeclasses are not the same thing, proper metaprogramming is turing-complete
>>
>>58849118
>The emergence of multicore computers has generated worry and confusion
No it didn't.
Granted some algorithms are not easy to make parallel, but that doesn't change with languages.
Development on compiled languages are not necessarily slower.
Obviously the setup of the development environment and finding how to navigate the code takes a bit of time, but that takes time for any project.
>>
>>58849653
name one community that doesn't complain about anything
>>
>>58849786
I didn't say that traits are equivalent to turing complete metaprogramming. I don't know what you would have inferred that from. I'm saying the usual subset of errors one gets for substitution failure in C++ are fixed at the level of the type system by traits in Rust. Rust supports metaprogramming separately through its macro system, which is hygenic and still more robust than what C++ provides.
>>
>>58849889
no they aren't, when you try to do anything besides implement a trait with a few basic functions then you will get the same class of ridiculous indecipherable errors when you screw something up, this is unavoidable when you are writing code that sidesteps the type system (i.e. generics, macros) because the whole point of doing this is that you give the compiler new forms to work with. it's literally impossible for it to know what you meant
>>
>>58849956
Generics aren't "sidestepping" the type system in Rust or other languages, and you're mistaken in conflating them with macros or metaprogramming in general. The compiler will know what you mean because the whole purpose of traits is to tell it that by imposing constraints on generic types, e.g. if a generic function requires its arguments be comparable and you pass in parameters that aren't, Rust will tell you your arguments don't support the Eq trait, while current C++ compilers will dump out template garbage leading into the line in the invoked function where a comparison would have been attempted. It's not even possible to get errors of that sort in Rust because the type system will demand you declare the traits a type in a generic function requires before calling methods or functions that require them. The reason this works is because it's part of the type system in Rust.

C++ doesn't implement anything like this yet, though the standards committee has been spinning its wheels trying for years.
>>
>>58849118
>Tell me why C/C++ is not going to be replaced by Rust/Go.

Network effects trump everything else. C++ is horrible but it's everywhere.

Go may have a shot at it if Google dump a bazillion or two promoting it, like Sun and IBM did with Java. But it's another Java replacement, not a C/C++ replacement.

Rust will probably remain niche, it's ugly and complicated and Mozilla is going down.
>>
>>58849169

Sure, if you write enough tools to force developers to use a subset of C++, with automatic code sanitizers and libraries with safe data structures and safe IPC.

So basically if you create an entirely new language based on C++.

As long as the solutions are optional rather than enforced, C++ doesn't solve the problems Rust solves. It's developer freedom which has to be restricted, they can not be trusted with it.
>>
>>58849118
>Tell me why C/C++ is not going to be replaced by Rust/Go.
You're presenting Rust and Go as equals. They're not even comparable. Go is definitely the future. Rust is already being forgotten.
>>
>>58851812
Is that why not even google uses go anymore, even though they still use rust?
Really makes you think huh.
>>
Started learning C because it's basically what BASIC set out to do in establishing a sort of ESPERANTO standard language by becoming entrenched as one of the most used languages.
Since I'm not likely to ever get paid to use a specific language and using freesoftware and stuff some meme language which is going to fork and deviate from a standard like C has is totally pointless and counter productive for me.
All the new languages are just memes for programmers to say they're not out of date and find new jobs that pay more when they get tired of working at one place for too long.
>>
>>58851925
Google does not use Rust. Only Mozilla does.
>>
>>58849118
>> Computers are enormously quicker but software development is not faster.
This is objectively false. Clearly you never tried to debugging a computer using a tape drive or punch card or having to wait literal hours for your turn to have a go at the mainframe within your time slot.
>>
>>58851812
>Go is the future
>GC from the 1970s
lmao
>>
File: ssxs-ubuntu-add-ref.gif (622KB, 996x720px) Image search: [Google]
ssxs-ubuntu-add-ref.gif
622KB, 996x720px
>>58849680

C# is not Microsoft specific, just like Java isn't Oracle specific.
>>
>>58849694
is a sex doll supposedly
>>
>>58852799
Yes it is, stop shilling Crap#
>>
>>58853084
It's opensource and a lot of Linux software is written in it. Stay rectally shattered.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.