[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is ultra-wide (21:9) a meme? I can't imagine movies being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: large01.jpg (69KB, 750x480px) Image search: [Google]
large01.jpg
69KB, 750x480px
Is ultra-wide (21:9) a meme?

I can't imagine movies being bad on this thing.
Does anyone here have experience with ultra-wide monitors?
>>
You will enjoy all that extra screen estate but also need to get used to black bars in any type of media (youtube, movies etc.)
>>
>>58829048
I think its widely a meme shilled by the fallen who bought ultra wide monitors. I have to make windows smaller and center them to the middle of the screen after upgrading to 17" laptop from a 12" one. Although it comes down to the personal tastes and your autism level, I would not recommend buying ultra-wides.
>>
>>58829048
If you multitask all the time, these monitors are awesome. It's fantastic to have your code on one side, and documentation on the other side.

In my free time, I also like to browse the chan on one side, and watch anime on the other side, like I'm doing right now.

Pretty comfy desu senpai
>>
>>58829221
Is it better than having 2 separate monitors? I can understand having a video game taking up full screen on one monitor while having the other monitor free to do whatever (like browse 4chan), but how would this work in a single ultra-wide monitor?

Just have borderless/windowless game mode ontop of... the rest of the screen?
>>
>ultra-wide
these are just 1440p or 4k monitors with the top cut off. ultra-short would be a better description.
>>
File: watcat.jpg (35KB, 464x311px) Image search: [Google]
watcat.jpg
35KB, 464x311px
>>58829273
>The chan
Fag.
>>
I have one. I generally don't use it for games though. I got it because my laptop only has a single hdmi port, and I can't connect multiple screens to it. With this, I don't need to, and I actually quite like it.
>>
File: 1447562718180.png (96KB, 328x282px) Image search: [Google]
1447562718180.png
96KB, 328x282px
>>58829048
If you use your computer for actual productivity instead of facebook and youtube, it is pretty great. Ultrameme gives you the benefits of a dual monitor setup without the stupid borders or desktop issues.

Gaym support is really spotty. Newer PC games may support it. Consoles don't even try and will give you big, black bars on the side.
>>
I own 2 of them. One 34 1440p and one 29 1080p one. From my personal experience and 2 years of usage I can say that they're not perfect but still this retarded notion of calling everything you don't like or own a meme is just tiresome.

Obvious perks that come with 21:9

+ More work space, feels nice to have few programs opened at once without stacking them.
+ Newer movies can be played without black bars while keeping original aspect ratio. Looks brilliant
+ Slight edge in some games cuz of increased field of view, better immersion.

Obvious problems

- Expensive as hell
- Playing games on them is more often than not a hustle but it's never anything serious. Worst case scenario usually means using a hex editor or mod. Still some games simply don't work as intended in 21:9.
- Youtube is ancient shit when compared to movies. Outside of trailers everything runs in 16:9 which means black bars on sides or sacrificing vertical view by cropping

Still I hate this "muh work space" misconception about ultrawide. Only exception being actual 4K monitors which do indeed have more vertical working space. a 1440p UW monitor has as much vertical work space as any 16:9 1440p monitor. However because 4K is too taxing for modern GPUs and you need at least 27 inch monitor anyway to be able to read anything on 4K display without sacrificing work space I prefer UW 1440p.
>>
It's great

I can have 8 threads open easy
>>
>>58829048

I find it great because I don't want to work on a giant 4k monitor, but the extra screen real estate is easily a major plus. I have rainmeter controls on the right, such as a scrollwheel for volume, spotify, foobar2000, steam, time, etc.

I find that having an ultrawide results in me flipping back and forth with virtual desktops much less, but ymmv

Also, I've had no problems gaming. Any games that don't support ultrawide can easily just do the normal 1920x1080 with black bars on each side like a regular monitor, just less preferable.

>>58829794 For Youtube: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ultrawide-video/lngfncacljheahfpahadgipefkbagpdl
>>
>>58830130
I'm sorry if my post was incoherent or if you simply didn't read the entirety of it because of my meandering thoughts. I pointed out that Youtube in 21:9 can be done but it comes with cropping which is exactly what your script does. If it's a native 21:9 trailer then yea sure it works just fine, anything else usually runs in 16:9 which means you crop off around 150 pixels out of the video.
>>
>>58830170
Oh, yeah I just wanted to make sure you knew about the script. I rarely watch youtube in fullscreen unless it's a trailer that fits or something.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.