[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want a new distro that's reliable (since my linux laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 1482292333112.jpg (215KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1482292333112.jpg
215KB, 800x1000px
I want a new distro that's reliable (since my linux laptop will soon be my only and main work computer at least for a few months)
and won't break down since I wont be able to fix it easily (working overseas, internet spotty)

what's a good option?
I'm leaning towards some Ubuntu variant because of stability
preferably a non botnet
leaning towards Manjaro or Antergos but I'm wary about the stability of anything arch based.

also I'm dum and a scrub
>>
>>58818347
Ubuntu LTS.
>>
>>58818354
/thread
>>
Arch. Used it for years with testing repositories enabled and never had a problem that wasn't easily fixed. In case you can't find a solution online it's as easy as installing a previous version from the package cache.
>>
>>58818416
OS-as-a-hobby. OSAAH
Do it for free.
>>
>>58818347
Ubuntu? How about Ulickmyshitholeclean.
>>
>>58818425
????

What's wrong with having a hobby that costs no money? It sounds like the perfect hobby.
>>
>>58818463
A hobby more productive than sysadmasturbation.
>>
>>58818347
Any distro that isn't bleeding edge is going to be stable.

Ubuntu or any of its variants will be fine.

>preferably a non botnet
Meme. The ad crap is gone it was never 'botnet'.

>also I'm dum and a scrub
Stop being dumb. Do some reading on your own on the distros you are interested in. If you have any questions after that then ask in the /fglt/.
>>
>>58818546
>Meme. The ad crap is gone it was never 'botnet'.
It's actually still there.
Unity is still advised to be avoided.
>>
>>58818546
I have Debian unstable right now but I'm stressed that it may poo itself and I'll be stuck in a place where I can't fix it or update
some ubuntu variants are nice but I like muh up to date software and I'm taking my old chinkpad into the jungle so something too heavy would be troublesome.
>>
>>58818347
Solus
>>
>>58818347
> I wont be able to fix it easily (working overseas, internet spotty)
Yea, you will. All you need is an USB stick with all the package / metadata of the distro that YOU use and maybe a filesystem snapshot on LVM, BTRFS or ZFS or whatever you want that you can revert to in worse emergencies.

You can also keep all the packages you have installed and their earlier variants cached as installables.

Spotty internet is then more than good enough.
>>
>>58818564
>It's actually still there.
I guess I am conflating two separate issues then:
1) Ads
2) Online search results (Lens)

If the ads are still there then I was wrong about that (I thought they were gone). But I know the 'spyware' is disabled by default on Ubuntu (and isn't installed on variants like Lubuntu).

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/ubuntu-16-04-proves-even-an-lts-release-can-live-at-linuxs-bleeding-edge/
>For all the new stuff in 16.04, let's start with the biggest headline grabbing omission: online search results. This "feature" debuted back in the autumn of 2012 with Ubuntu 12.10, and what made it controversial was the decision to leave the setting on by default. As such, everything you searched for in the dash was initially sent to Canonical's servers and from there to Canonical's partners. This setup was enough for the Free Software Foundation's Richard Stallman to brand Ubuntu "spyware."

>Search lens is finally off by default, which is good for most users. Still, the damage it did to Canonical's image and standing in the free software world is unlikely to be undone swiftly. In the end, Canonical managed to generate a tremendous amount of ill will for a feature the majority of its users didn't seem to want and which in all likelihood generated a negligible amount of profit for the company.
>>
>>58818648
PS: On many distros you could also grab mirror the entire repository of every "stable" package in all currently installable versions for your x86_64.

Who cares if it's 400GB of data. That's downloaded in not too long and certainly fits on a modern HDD or SSD. You can even have it in duplicate as a whole computer depending on just how far from civilization you go. And then an external dual HDD for good measure. And you still spent only like $600 for the fallback 10" Windows PC and HDDs.
>>
>>58818596
>I'm stressed that it may poo itself
I don't know what you mean by that. I have never had a distro stop working. I only have experience with Ubuntu, Lubuntu, and Debian. I have experienced something like that on Windows where an update broke something. But never on linux.

And if something like that did happen on linux, it wouldn't matter which distro you were using IMO. All of the mainstream distros are stable unless you specifically use or install 'unstable' software. If you use something that isn't mainstream (arch) then you are on your own. Again, I think you should spend some time reading about distros you are interested in. I think that would go a long way in dispelling some of the concerns you have.
>>
>>58818716
Nothing is too unstable with just a "sane" filesystem snapshot, a triival-to-create backup of it, bootable USB stick, and a mirror of the packages for your CPU architecture (could also take the source packages for good measure if you know what you're doing with these - or it's what you do anyway on Gentoo or Slack).
>>
>>58818753
PS: Something goes a tiny bit wrong? Install older package.

Something goes very wrong? Clone known good snapshot and work off that (you can mount your "old" system at the same time in /mnt/repairanddiscard or whatever).

Something goes horribly wrong at even the filesystem level? Use rescue USB stick and reinstall everything with package archives.

Having the complete package archive also may give you the option to do more efficient delta updates on packages with some distros in the "spotty" instances when you do have internet.
>>
>>58818474
I waste more time fixing broken ubuntus than fixing Xorg which I don't even use anymore.
>>
File: amdvega.jpg (156KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
amdvega.jpg
156KB, 633x758px
>>58818347
>2011 was 6 years ago
>>
>>58818347
Debian
>>
>>58818347
Dont use xubuntu if you want stability.
I use Manjaro and am happy with it.
>>
>>58821275
>pacman -Syu
>pacman keyring errors out of the ass
manjaro was a mistake
>>
Antergos all the way, debian or debian-based if you aren't confortable enough with linux to use arch or arch-based
>>
File: 1475768271153.png (71KB, 2028x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1475768271153.png
71KB, 2028x1300px
openPEPE
>Leap 42.2 if you want stable
>Tumbleweed if you want rolling
>>
>>58822317
Trolling*
>>
>>58822317
>Peep
>Dumbsheed
Nice
>>
Mint w/ Cinnamon. It werks.
>>
>>58818354
fpbp
>>
>>58818347
if u want rock solid system use debian stable
>>
Fedora25
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.