[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /g/ use any backup software? I'm kind of wondering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: f2_usb_hdd_backup.png (81KB, 420x411px) Image search: [Google]
f2_usb_hdd_backup.png
81KB, 420x411px
Does /g/ use any backup software? I'm kind of wondering if it's even worth the trouble installing something to do such a simple task, but it would be nice for certain directories to be automatically copied to a separate drive. Is there any free/open source backup software that I can check out that any of you may recommend?
>>
>>58817442
Nope just BD-R discs to backup the most important stuff.
>>
I use Pogoplug backup to keep certain folders backed up to my old NAS box that I got for peanuts.

A few people I know like Dropbox; don't know if it provides that kind of automation. It is one of the closest things you can get to a consumer off site backup.
>>
>>58817465
I've considered that, but I don't yet have a BD-RW drive. I've tried backing stuff up onto DVDs in the past but they barely hold anything and it gets so unorganized.
>>
just use the built in windows 10 backup tool :^)
>>
Time Machine in case my SSD dies, and a plain rsync backup to my file server once in a while in case my Mac dies, at which point I can't be bothered with getting a new one.

I also have a backup of my file server, but I should move the drives to a different system for offline backups instead.
>>
>>58817492
Just leave them in the spindle and put the oldest ones at the bottom and newest ones at the top. blu-ray drives have gotten somewhat cheaper, you can find them fro 40-50$ and they should get cheaper with time. I think this is the best form of backup especially with 50GB discs. A 25 pack spindle (1+TB) only takes 5x5x2 inches which isnt much especially considering you can stack them on top of each other.

Anyway I think BD-R is the way to go with data backup. Literally can't corrupt them because they will tell you to fuck off if you try to write data to them again, can last over 100 years if stored properly, and relatively fast (6X is 27MB/s or 1.6GB/minute).
>>
>>58817442
rsync erry day
>>
>>58817697
That's a good solution until somethings gets corrupted and rsynced to your backup, rendering it useless.

>Just kidding. I do that too.
>>
>>58817442
My backup consists of dragging and dropping 4 folders over 3x drivers. Its not that hard.

Also
>keeping your backup medium powered on, and connected to your PC
kinda defeats the purpose of having backups, eh
>>
cron + dd + raid m80
>>
borgbackup
>>
My most important stuff is saved to a samba server at home which automatically mirrors whatever is in that directory to an external usb drive, then every 24 hours, that machine gets rsynced offsite to both a colocated box at a local ISP, and a computer in my office at work. That computer syncs certain folders with Amazon drive, and also copies the data to another external USB drive. A bit overkill for personal data? Maybe. But I learned my lesson the hard way once and lost some very important data. Even had a couple of close calls. I'll never let any of that happen again.
>>
>>58817442
I just let Time Machine do it automatically every hour.
>>
>>58818033
>dd
>raid
God I hope this is troll
>>
>>58817442
mv, cp or rsync
>>
I use grsync. It's not pretty but does the job as an rsync graphical front-end. Just remember renaming a folder will copy all that data again so it isn't ideal. Everything will be identical though.
>>
>>58817857
>He doesnt have versioning on his rsync
>>
rsnapshot
>>
>>58817661
Just buy a quality hdd instead off hassling with that shit
>>
>>58817442
I use rsync, but normies may want to check Bison.
>>
>>58819913
What's the best versioning to use in pair with rsync that isn't shit with binaries?
>>
>>58822155
What is and where can i find bison?
>>
>>58817661
>Just leave them in the spindle and put the oldest ones at the bottom and newest ones at the top.
>...can last over 100 years if stored properly, ...

Hmm, something in this post does not fit together, but I can't quite put my finger on it................
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.