[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when your open sores OS had shitty drivers, so you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

Remember when your open sores OS had shitty drivers, so you had to fund a kickstarter to get decent ones?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1327597961/better-support-for-mt7620a-n-in-openwrt-lede

My. Fucking. Sides.
>>
Muh freedom
>>
>>58815750
>muh cheap plastic consumer wireless routers!
geez just put the shitty thing in access point mode and use a real computer as a router. pfSense is always going to do a better job than something that has to run on shitty embedded hardware.
>>
File: 1454851696614.jpg (39KB, 540x456px) Image search: [Google]
1454851696614.jpg
39KB, 540x456px
>>58815789

>We...we didn't want it anyway.

Typical open sores.
>>
>>58815750

> need something
> one of the random assholes who wants it makes it
> a couple other nerds help him

That's basically linux
>>
Problems on Windows:
>The device has shit drivers.
Problems on Linux:
>Linux has shit drivers.

/v/indows fanboy logic.
>>
>>58815994
Desperate red hat shills already flooding in
>>
>>58815750
>Mediakek
>>
File: Reallyfjreally_7ae6653.png (43KB, 181x200px) Image search: [Google]
Reallyfjreally_7ae6653.png
43KB, 181x200px
>>58815750
That is a great idea, faggot OP.

A good way to make money too.
>>
isn't there a website dedicated to this stuff, i.e., solving problems in open source software by giving money to people who post patches?
>>
>>58816291
Better yet, isn't there a website where I can request something with other people, like in a bid, and programmers can join and get money by doing it?
>>
>>58816491
problem with that is that if one programmer writes half of a framework for support, a second programmer finishes it, and four more programmers contribute some bugfixes and patches, how do you divide up the pot?
>>
>>58816536
percentages, and if you want to get complex, a professional ratio system set by such site's authorities

next question
>>
>>58816592
>percentages
how do you measure that? Lines of code isn't a good measure, since you can have a long-but-conceptually-simple function thats a lot less critical than a short-but-difficult function. What if one programmer solves the critical bug that's preventing things from working by changing two lines? Does he get paid for only two lines? What if one programmer's many LoC get thrown out in a refactoring?

You can't divide this shit up neatly, deterministically, and fairly.
>>
>>58816626
>how do you measure that? Lines of code isn't a good measure, since you can have a long-but-conceptually-simple function thats a lot less critical than a short-but-difficult function.
by functionality
>>58816626
>What if one programmer solves the critical bug that's preventing things from working by changing two lines?
awards system
>Does he get paid for only two lines?
depends on the difficulty and/or need of the bugfix
>What if one programmer's many LoC get thrown out in a refactoring?
define awards for better code, who gets better code gets paid more or a prize
>You can't divide this shit up neatly, deterministically, and fairly.
just fucking try it, there is money on this and took me what, 1 minute to come up with a semi-complete solution?

I thought /g/ liked money.
>>
>>58816491
yes there is, I'm >>58816291 and that's exactly what I was talking about... but I didn't remember the name of this website:
https://www.bountysource.com/
>>
>>58816683
>https://www.bountysource.com/
Why the fuck isn't this more mentioned on /g/?

Fucking christ, I can't even.
>>
From this day on, Bountysource WILL get mentioned more on /g/.

Fucking stupids, you are permitting Microsoft OWN this board but you don't even mention this kind of things.

Fuck you all.
>>
>>58816673
>by functionality
If two pieces of functionality are both necessary, how do you value them? Equally? What if one is much harder to implement than the other?

>awards system
What if the bug wasn't known ahead of time? What if shit doesn't work and the team can't figure out why, until one guy figures out that it's a trivial bug that nobody had seen? How do you define an award for that?

>depends on the difficulty and/or need of the bugfix
Again, define difficulty. Define need. What's needed more, a major feature or a critical security patch? What about a minor feature vs a minor security patch? Which of those is more "needed"? Who decides? What if we don't know its needed until its found?

>define awards for better code, who gets better code gets paid more or a prize
What constitutes "better code"? Given two implementations of the same thing, how can one reliably and fairly determine that one is better code than the other?

>just fucking try it, there is money on this and took me what, 1 minute to come up with a semi-complete solution?
Because you won't make your system work unless devs think its fair. If devs think that who gets rewarded for what is arbitrary they'll be disincentivized from working on your projects. Nobody wants to put in a bunch of work on a difficult problem and then see someone else get paid for it because he gamed the ratings system better, or he's buddies with who decides what code is better, etc.

>I thought /g/ liked money.
Money is a tool. Use it poorly and you get shitty results. Look at all the busted kickstarters.
>>
>>58815750
Remember when you jacked off watching me come all over your little sister's face?
>>
>>58816775
>If two pieces of functionality are both necessary, how do you value them? Equally?
Equally.
>What if one is much harder to implement than the other?
If a functional part is harder to implement is obviously no longer equal isn't.
>What if the bug wasn't known ahead of time?
What if we learn from those bug hunts big companies do.
>What's needed more, a major feature or a critical security patch? What about a minor feature vs a minor security patch? Which of those is more "needed"? Who decides?
Sadly depend on who people you ask and people is stupid some time. But this can be solved easily by selecting security patches for mission critical software, and/or making a ratio of degrees of importance.
>Who decides?
Site's owners.
>What if we don't know its needed until its found?
Another bounty begins. Seriously, you are thinking ahead of time, I hope you are planning on making a damn good websites with all this boilerplate I'm giving.
>What constitutes "better code"? Given two implementations of the same thing, how can one reliably and fairly determine that one is better code than the other?
Question too long. I can be a jerk and say "just ask the community", but if you are going to get metaphysical with me, go ask for advice to the big guys in the industry.
>Because you won't make your system work unless devs think its fair. If devs think that who gets rewarded for what is arbitrary they'll be disincentivized from working on your projects. Nobody wants to put in a bunch of work on a difficult problem and then see someone else get paid for it because he gamed the ratings system better, or he's buddies with who decides what code is better, etc.
*devs actually getting money
>Money is a tool. Use it poorly and you get shitty results. Look at all the busted kickstarters.
Learn from mistakes then.
>>
>>58815750
>open sores
>My. Fucking. Sides.
So a company decides to not support linux properly and the community does the work by themselves, what is exactly the problem? If big companies like apple or microsoft never get issues with the drivers or never make mistakes then maybe your mock would make sense but otherwise your post only proves the advantages of allowing anyone to contribute. Think about it, on linux or mac if you don't like something no one has the option to fix it by themselves directly in the source code, the best you can get is an attempt to ad an additional layer over what you can't touch, see for example clover to add tabs to the explorer on windows.
>>
>>58816958
*on windows or mac
*add
>>
Because Windows had better drivers for Mediatek right OP? You're so dumb lmao
>>
>>58816958
>Think about it, on linux if you don't like something no one has the ability to fix it by themselves directly in the source code,
Fixed.
How many Linux users here would consider themselves qualified to do this? Have any of you ever done any fixing of the source code of the FOSS software you use?
I'm not talking about submitting a soon-to-be-discarded bug report.
Knowing from bitter experience the attitudes of the code maintainers I'll bet nobody has.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.