[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a master's in [computer science field] worth it in general?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4382.jpg (30KB, 750x661px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4382.jpg
30KB, 750x661px
Is a master's in [computer science field] worth it in general? Should i bite the bullet and go full PHD?
>>
Why in the hell would anybody bite a bullet?
>>
>>58813656
It's an allusion to killing myself
>>
>>58813708
*metaphorically
>>
>>58813649
masters to make money and be pretty good at a few things, phd to attempt to be the authority of a very specific domain.

What each is worth to you depends on what your end goals are
>>
>>58813859
It's to make money mostly. I'd like to distinguish myself in [X] industry, rather than in research.
>>
>>58813891

yeah then a masters in software engineering at any top 1/3 school should be fine. Try to find programs that focus more on the engineering rather than research
>>
>>58813859
>phd to attempt to be the authority of a very specific domain.

Agreed. And that's the problem -- shit changes so fast that whatever you specialized in as a PhD could easily be a dead end 20 years later.

You'll be more flexible if you move your career around as the technology changes over the years.
>>
Depends on what you're good at and what you enjoy doing

Before everything there's a Golden rule, don't exchange having a job you enjoy for better paid one you don't like

because you'll spend 2,000 hours every year with positive vibes and satisfaction of solving problems, or 2,000 hours counting the minutes to get home and while at home stressed about having to go to sleep to wake up to go back to the office

With that in mind then,

Since a Master's ans more so a PHD are much more focused on a specific skillset, it's a good idea to actually work in the industry to realize what you're good at instead of choosing to continue studying something you think you're "good at"

People usually get Masters when working they realize they're very good at something in specific and pursue studies to become even better at it to earn a bit more money and to be more efficient at work

If you're goal is to get more money, perhaps you shouldn't be looking to climb up the office positions ladder, but to start your own company. Even the most hardened workers with years of expertise and PHDs earn 3 to 5 times what the average worker gains, working the same hours. But there's no limit to a company owner, you can earn the same, 5 times, 20 times, some CEOs earn 100 times what the average worker earns

and also being your own boss allows you to have your own work hours, you can have a successful business working 3 hours a day, and if you feel good you work 15 hours one day to make it better

Easier said than done, it's hard work and you must have the entrepreneur skills and spirit which is greed for power and money, greed that will make you put all of you in your work, but it's a risky business, most people are happy with their jobs and usually get a masters years later on the road
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.