[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Intel is freaked out about Ryzen, starts sampling new cpus.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 298
Thread images: 36

File: honhonbaguette.jpg (40KB, 633x394px) Image search: [Google]
honhonbaguette.jpg
40KB, 633x394px
>Intel is freaked out about Ryzen, starts sampling new cpus.

what did he mean by this?
>>
File: tp.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
tp.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>58810149
>mfw I just ordered 6700k.
>>
>>58810188
CANCEL RIGHT NOW
>>
>>58810188

haha, froge
>>
>>58810149
Still it's not like Ryzen is magically better than Intel kaby or broadwell-e, why to fuck won't they simply drop prices to remain competitive?
>>
File: 542365.jpg (68KB, 884x800px) Image search: [Google]
542365.jpg
68KB, 884x800px
>>58810188
>>
>>58810149
>canard PC
>still no price
>still independent benchmarks
>>
>>58810244
pretty sure their demos showed that even without turbo they had a clear advantage over the 6900k...
let alone any other smaller one
>>
>>58810188
4 core CPUs are done for at this point. 6 & 8 are the future. Open world games like GTA V and Watch Dogs 2 eat up all the cores/threads they can get.
>>
>>58810149
They were aware of Zen being a competitive arch, so they started pushing more cores in everything. 10 cores for HEDT, 6 cores coming for mainstream.
In the meantime they've been trying to push clocks as high as possible to hold a performance lead, even at the cost of increase power consumption.
Its a good sign. A fire is officially lit under their ass.

>8c/16t Ryzen binning has 3.6ghz base clock, 4ghz turbo, lower TDP than Broadwell-E
>later in the year there might be a higher binned refresh, could conceivably reach 4ghz base clock
>Zen+ brings more IPC and more frequency
>AMD will be having chips fabbed on IBM's 7nm SOI FinFET process
>if intel doesn't radically increase performance then AMD will surpass them

2017 is the best year ever.
>>
>>58810321
>AMD will be having chips fabbed on IBM's 7nm SOI FinFET process

Lmao when? It's been officially said that AMD is going to run on that 14nm FinFET for next 4 years.
>>
File: ryzen1.jpg (79KB, 681x455px) Image search: [Google]
ryzen1.jpg
79KB, 681x455px
>>58810149
They making 7800K next week.

aaayyyy lmao krappy fake $hilltel gore i$emen (cooler not included in a box) end of life edition at 0.90 GHz.
>>
>>58810395
No, they amended their wafer supply agreement to have access to 14nm wafers for the next 4 years, there is a big difference there. That does not mean all high performance CPUs and GPUs will be 14nm LPP until 2021. It means they'll be able to keep producing stock if need. There are still 32nm Piledriver chips being produced right now, nodes stay online for far longer than they're used on the high end.

Work to bring the 7nm node online starts this year, there'll be 7nm parts on the market in 2019.
>>
>>58810395
> It's been officially said that AMD is going to run on that 14nm FinFET for next 4 years.
After 5 years, maybe? GloFo 7nm will be sampled in 2018-2019.
>>
>>58810188
lol
>>
>mfw I still sit on 3770k
>Intel has been releasing same CPUS for last 3 gens.
>AMD is going to release 1 gen every 5 years that still aren't a upgrade but rather a catch up

This is pissing me off. a 10% upgrade in both cases will cost me $300 while I end up getting fucked by no m.2 support and old slow ass ddr3.
>>
>>58810573
> while I end up getting fucked by no m.2 support
http://www.win-raid.com/t2375f25-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootloader-method.html
Get a simple PCIE3x4 to M.2 adapter, transfer your data using Acronis 2017 BootCD, install Clover and you'll be able to boot from NVMe on any UEFI chipset.
>>
File: 1443238087438.jpg (78KB, 573x343px) Image search: [Google]
1443238087438.jpg
78KB, 573x343px
>>58810573
>catch up
how is a 16 thread cpu considered catch up? Especially with ipc between haswell and skylake? Ryzen will age like fine wine as more and more applications start utilizing more cores.
>>
>>58810634
>95w TDP
>a moderate underclock/undervolt gives an absurdly cool and quiet 65w CPU.

Its going to be fantastic.
>>
>>58810321
You realize that Ryzen IPC is something between broadwell and Skylake right? They sure as heck won't oc as good as Kabylake so really only way to be competitive is to be cheaper than Intel. I expect 4c/8t Zen for $250 which would be pretty neat but I think retards in here who expect 6c/12t or 8c/16t competing with price of 7700k are kinda too optimistic.
>>
>>58810634
It's a catch up to Broadwell-E anon. Remember that you still only fucking speculate about Ryzen and if those prices were really so good and incredible AMD would let us know same way they were shilling for 480RX.
>>
File: Capture.png (75KB, 978x570px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
75KB, 978x570px
>>58810573
>>58810630
>>
>>58810708
>>58810630
Damn thank you anon. That changes things.
>>
Can somebody explain to me or give me some links about what's good about having more threads than cores?

I still use my Q6600, most of games I play gain no performance if I enable them to use more than 2 cores. Why is there a need to threads in modern games and apps? When are more threads better than same cpu with equal numbers of thread and cores?
Outside games I'm fine with my CPU, the only heavy program I use is Solidworks but most of my projects have less than 1000 parts.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16KB, 340x344px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16KB, 340x344px
>>58810671
>as good
as well
>>
>>58810843
My bad. Being German and all.
>>
>>58810671
> They sure as heck won't oc as good as Kabylake
Why?
>>
>>58810829
It's a budget sacrifice between having 4 cores and 4 threads and actual 8 physical cores.

4c/8t CPUs tend to OC better than 8c CPUS which gives you this desirable performance in low threaded software like games. You don't really need those 8 threads but more and more games are started to be bottlenecked in modern AAA games when only having access to 4 cores/threads and this is rather painful if you have something powerful like 1070/980 Ti or 1080 when you suddenly lose 50% of your GPU power because your CPU shits on your frame before GPU gets to full usage. I wouldn't recommend i7 to people with budget GPUs though.
>>
File: doubtful_3.jpg (9KB, 300x285px) Image search: [Google]
doubtful_3.jpg
9KB, 300x285px
>>58810671
>oc as good as Kabylake

Considering this was the worst chip for OC that intel has put out I cant see anything being inferior. Fucking Sandybridge is more stable.
>>
>>58810244
Imagine that you are intel for a moment
you have been over pricing cpus for nearly 7 years
amd comes along and finally slaps your shit

What do you do?

drop the price of everything 8 core and below and let everyone know that THAT is the price they could have paid, then have everyone look into how big die size cpus use to be and realise THAT'S how much they could have paid all along have a massive pr nightmare that won't go away for years makeing you see the 'yea if you want to piss money away' choice

or

Do you eat the cost of one cycle put out the next one at cheap prices saying 'due to the advancements we made, we brought the cost of cpus down' even if there is no architectural change and the only change in fab is getting slightly higher yields. People in the know will shout the bullshit down, but average people will just lap the shit up.

now if ryzen is as good as intels 8 core, and its looking to be that case, if amd prices it low enough, intel wont have an answer outside of price drop for kabby lake, they wont have an answer inside of cannon lake either, and possibly coffee lake to boot as by that time amd will likely be moving to a now node too.

amd is currently set to dominate till intel makes a new core arch. and that's 2020 at best for that if not later due to delays.
>>
>>58810939
> in low threaded software like games
Eh. GTA V, everything-Frostbite, Cryengine games can use at least 8 threads. Don't know about UE4, but come out, it's 2017, Epic shoud've figured that out.
>>
>>58810998
>AMD is currently set to dominate
I can't wait for AMD to shit the bed again so you fanboys can finally kill yourselves.

Only good thing about AMD right now is the money-making potential from investing in it. I seriously regret not buying hundreds of its stocks back when the prices were like $2 a pop.
>>
>>58810829
SMT exists because the execution units in a core are never fully loaded by a single thread. A 3 ALU wide core is likely neglecting that 3rd ALU the majority of the time, and there are still exploitable gaps in the first two. SMT allows a scheduler to run a separate logical thread in these gaps to extrapolate more performance for minimal costs to power consumption and die area.

If you're not utilizing SMT you're wasting potential performance in a wide core.
>>
>>58810630
I know that this is an /sqt/ tier question but I'm not that knowledgeable on m.2. Your motherboard still needs to support nvme even if you are using a pcie adapter to fully utilize you ssd, right?
>>
>>58810149
Hmmm... if they got rid of the PSP bullshit and made all of their stuff free and in freedumbs, I would actually invest thousands and start gaming with it. But for now I have Coreboot and partially de-blobbed management engine.
>>
>>58811063
> Your motherboard still needs to support nvme
No, I installed Clover on a USB Flash, so motherboard boots the Clover, and then Clover, which supports NVMe and can see the drive, boots the OS. See the picture, I have a i5-2400S, it's Z77 board, to be precise, and they do not support NVMe.
>>
>>58811036
look at the es sample benchmark, that is a worst case scenario for amd, and its still amazing.

Not to mention remove the validation board that threw errors on smt, and boost that clock to what we know base is, and its amazing.

then you have the server market which cares more about power use then it does performance or initial cost, and amd is better in both areas, possibly better then intel, and the kicker, intel has no answer for octa channel memory or 32 cores, so anyone bottlenecked performance or memory bandwidth has no where else to look.

intel sat on their dick not doing much of anything since sandy bridge and it's coming home to bite them in the ass.
>>
I still believe that Ryzen shoots itself in the foot by making budget options run on actual lower clocks that their $500+ high end. I don't think they really are interested in competing with Intel's consumerist options and their aim is Broadwell-E.

yea sure their 8c/16t will give you 6900k performance for $300 less but it's not like this means anything for budget oriented buyers. Skylake and Kaby i5s and i7s both run at 1+ Ghz higher than 4c/6c Ryzen options while having a slightly better IPC. AMD once again won't be able to touch Intel in the gaymen market unless those fanboy prediction turn out to be actually true and you will be able to buy something like a 4c/8t for $200 but honestly that seems like too good to be true. AMD's 480RX was already price gouged to the point where their reference cards were unstable on stock voltage and clocks just so they could compete with 1060. But hey, maybe, just maybe you will be able to buy a slower alternative to 6700k/7700k for $100 less.
>>
>>58810309
Isn't this only true for DX 12 vulkan stuff
>>
>>58811133
> a slower alternative to 6700k/7700k for $100 less.
And overclock it. Good 4 me.
>>
>>58811155
>Overclocking 3.4Ghz stock CPU to 4.5Ghz just to match its stock performance

Only in your wildest dreams, like I said only thing AMD can do to compete with "budget" (lel) Intel CPU's is being 33% cheaper across the board.
>>
>>58810939
>>58811044
Thank you for your answers. If a game or application performs well with 8 threads will it work better with a 8c/8t or odds are that it will perform the same as 4c/8t because of >>58811044?
>>
>>58811252
The increase of throughput from SMT is typically around 30% in a well threaded application.
Assuming IPC is equal: 8c/8t is superior to 4c/8t, but if you had 8 cores you should be running 16 threads across them.
>>
>>58811121
Unless AMD has its mid-range CPUs deliver 6900K-tier performance at the price of the new Kaby Lake i3s, it isn't going to shit on Intel at all.
>>
>>58811293
8c/16t to maintain the gain from SMT in well threaded applications. How will it influence old, not well threaded applications?
>>
>>58811180
>90-95% of the performance
>66% of the price
>same threading
>same
And you think AMD isn't going to do well? You're fucking blind at this point.

>>58811508
If you're running a lot of them all at once then it'll help a bit.
Otherwise, no difference.
>>
>>58811508
>How will it influence old, not well threaded applications?
It doesn't. Running a serial threaded program on a highly threaded CPU has no negative effects.
>>
>>58811527
>800 Mhz lower out of the box
>Same performance
>Automatically assumes that it's going to cost 33% less because he wants so

AMD subhuman retards should be purged from this board.
>>
>>58811548
Except it does because highly threaded CPUs have lower clock speeds. That's why a fucking 6700k is beating 6900k in video games.
>>
>>58811527
>>58811548
I remember some times ago there was a game that performed better when Intel Hyper-threading was off. Sometimes I've read people suggesting to disable it. What was behind it?
>>
>>58811154
>DX12
>Vulkan
>>
>>58811636
When the operating system handles load balancing it determines what task gets sent to what core and thread. Windows used to have minor issues with this, and would sometimes populate only logical threads instead of the primary physical ones first.
>>
>>58810309
Bullshit. GTA V doesn't scale on 16 threads. And it's fucking CPU demanding. Fucking pajeets.
>>
>>58810188
I'm sure it will still outperform this Ryzen shit. People forget about Piledriver was supposed to bring AMD back to the top again.

And even if Ryzen ends up being better, it will only be a negligible difference. I have a 4790K and nothing comes close to taxing this beast out, and the 6700K is even better. You should've bought a 7700K though. The price is literally the same between Skylake and Kaby Lake.
>>
>>58811663
Used until when? 10?
>>
>>58811701
>People forget about Piledriver was supposed to bring AMD back to the top again.
No it wasn't you lying /v/ child.
The performance uplift of Piledriver over Bulldozer was only 10%~, and thats all AMD ever touted for the entire BD family. No one expected a huge performance uplift. You're utterly fabricating things to fit your fanboy narrative.
>>
>>58811701
Ryzen performs roughly on par with the Broadwell-E chips, which are marginally faster per clock than your 4790K.
>>
>>58810309
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXQYl2LGYHE

While GTA V does utilize 8 threads now, it's certainly not eating them all up. That 7700K is still far from being fully taxed out on what is quite arguably one of the most CPU intensive games on the market.

I'm glad you did your research. Most games right now will now utilize up to 8 THREADS. This was a pretty recent advancement in the past few years. Games like Battlefield and Crysis were some of the first ones to utilize more than 4 threads. Previously, Core i7 processors were never fully utilized because games were not designed to utilize that many threads/cores. Many games were still only utilizing up to 4 threads, making hyperthreading fairly useless on these processors. Many people was turning hyperthreading off on their processors because they were not benefiting from the technology.

Now many games will utilize up to 8 threads/cores, but if that's all they utilize, having a CPU that has 16 threads is like having a CPU that had 8 threads from 4 years ago or so.

Is having 8C/16T the future? Yes. Are you going to notice a significant improvement? Not hardly, because games have to be developed to utilize that many threads. Maybe there are some games out there that do, but I guarantee many don't.

For a long time it was considered "falling for the meme" to buy a Core i7 because they provided zero benefit over a Core i5 due to games not properly utilizing more than 4 threads -- and many games flat out didn't even support hyperthreading.
>>
>>58811663
That's not how it works. When hyper threading is activated, all cores are virtual cores. It would be impossible to have a real physical core visible by the system while having a virtual one, powered by the same core.
>>
>>58811828
tl;dr: buy the 4c8t or 8c8t ryzen cpu because it will clock higher and muh games don't even support 16 threads?
>>
Rypoo is a garbage architecture & uncompetitive

Canard is a lying piece of shit
>>
>>58811845
If you care only about games - yes.
There are 6-core CPUs on the table, so maybe consider them.
>>
>>58811872
>Trusting your futuresense
>>
>>58811844
Threads are not addressed randomly, the OS knows exactly which are which. Microsoft and Intel aren't two entities existing in a vacuum, they work together to make sure software supports the architecture. AMD even got Microsoft to issue a patch to improve module load balancing.
When nothing else is running a serial threaded application will go to the first core, on the physical thread. It will not load the logical thread first.
>>
>>58811743
Let's make sure we use the term marginally, because the difference in very marginally.

>>58811739
I'm not fabricating anything. Doesn't matter to me who is on top because I have the money to buy whatever product is bleeding edge at the moment.

I switched from AMD back to Intel last year because of how big of a complete failure the AMD FX line of chips turned out to be, when they were supposed to bring AMD back on a level playing field with Intel again.

That's why I'm not very optimistic about Ryzen.

If Ryzen is a success guess what? On launch day, I'll go out and buy one and build it. If not, I'll buy whatever chip Intel releases next. The best part about it? Either way it goes, I'll still have the fastest chip in my computer.

And that's all that matters.
>>
>>58811930

2600Kfags BTFO!
>>
>>58811930
>Tomb RIDER
>Random numbers
>No source
>Unlabeled axis
Took you about 15 minutes to make this, and you still couldn't get everything right?
>>
>>58811701
I didn't buy 7700k because a) it runs really fucking hit which I don't like and I sure as heck won't delide it risking my warranty b) I live in UK where 7700k costs $40 more, so does any z270 mobo.
>>
>>58812086
hot*
>>
>>58810149
>Rumor
>>
>>58811930
Then you weren't around before Bulldozer. Leaks showed Bulldozer was shit for single threaded before it was launched. AMD branded and pushed it for good multithreaded server workloads, which it was, and didn't talk about gaming or IPC, weaseled their way out when it was asked because they knew it was bad for that.

Read news from back in the day to get a picture of what was said in reality
https://arstechnica.com/business/2011/03/leaked-bulldozer-benchmarks-may-give-glimpse-of-amds-future/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2881/2

All the Zen talks AMD gave shined IPC and power efficiency gains, getting into high performance and competing with Intel again, Bulldozer and Zen launches are not comparable at all. See Hot Chips presentations of Bulldozer and Zen to see what was hyped about each

http://www.slideshare.net/AMD/amd-hot-chips-bulldozer-bobcat-presentation-5041615
http://www.slideshare.net/AMD/amd-and-the-new-zen-high-performance-x86-core-at-hot-chips-28
>>
>>58810634
The entire selling point of ryzen is that it finally matches a high end multicore Intel processor (6900k)
>>
>>58812019
>my 5 year old cpu can only get 120fps
what will I ever do
>>
>>58810634
>I don't know that non-gaming CPUs exist
>>
>>58810671
so 2.5% below skykek?
ok.
>>
>>58811014
>GTAV
>100% core 0
>15% other cores
It's about as badly optimized as any game, it just uses a lot of CPU
>>
File: certified shit wrecker.jpg (41KB, 386x495px) Image search: [Google]
certified shit wrecker.jpg
41KB, 386x495px
>>58810149
>>
>>58811154
Yes, DX11 scales up to 4 threads, DX12 scales up to 12 threads. It's still up to the devs to optimize, as seen by all the shit-optimized crapcannon DX12 games of 2016
>>
>>58812671
>there are people too young to remember the phenom line.
>>
>>58811576
I know you're trying to make a point but the 6700k and the 6900k are basically the exact same CPU thread-per-thread
>>
>>58811930
>12 fps gained going from a sandy bridge i5 to a $600 6 core broadwell-E CPU sounds marginal to me
>>
>>58810309
>games
Everyone not living in their mom's basement will be just fine.
>>
>>58812086
Do you have proof of running hot or is your source "some guy on /g/ called it kelvin lake!"
>>
>>58811701
Piledriver wasn't designed by jim the shit wrecker keller
>>
>>58811930
you mean mommy will buy it for you?
>>
>>58812086
Alright fuckstick, i'm the first guy to advocate people buy zen, but that's complete and utter bullshit.

The 7700K is the first chip since the 2500K that commonly overclocks to 5ghz.
>>
File: skylake-x.jpg (153KB, 1623x488px) Image search: [Google]
skylake-x.jpg
153KB, 1623x488px
Intel should be sampling Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X around this time, it's in their roadmap for late Q2/Q3, they are rushing it out to counter Ryzen

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55427/intel-unveil-skylake-kaby-lake-gamescom-2017/index.html
>>
>>58813000
The 6900k is what zen matched and Intel has better CPUs than the 6900k
If zen has some magical price I could see Intel MAYBE lowering prices (but Lisa herself said zen will not be positioned as budget hardware)
>>
>>58813083
Zen's lowest clocked 8c16t matched the 6900k

We've already seen one clocked 200mhz higher and I bet they will have 2 skus that are faster at 3.8ghz and 4.0ghz

Intel

BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
L
O
W
N

THE
H
E

FUCK
U
C
K

OUT
U
T
>>
>>58813083
There's a very big difference between 'not budget' and 'one fucking thousand US dollars for the CPU alone'
>>
>>58813083
6900k is $1000, 6950X $1700. AMD can charge $600 for top end 8 core and it will still be a bargain. Age of 4 core is finally dead for all I care, even Intel is switching to 6 cores for mainsteam 8700k Coffee Lake
>>
>>58810149
>shills shilling
keep us posted op
>>
>>58813128
Zens ONLY clocked CPU matched it
And I'm not taking anybody's word as proof except Lisa's, and as of now she said they have a CPU on par with a 6900k in multithread and does not want to make a budget pricing
>>58813134
There's also a big difference between "absolutely zero reliable price information and one SKU matches on Intel SKU" and "Zen will be both cheaper and better than Intel"
>>
>>58812902
I'd rather run a Skylake at 4.6Ghz than Kaby at 5Ghz and temps 30 degrees higher.
>>
>>58813152
I agree
That's great and all but zen isn't giving a shit about cores right this second, they've had the cores since bulldozer abominations, zen is all about the IPC gain, the gain that takes all their pathetic Xeon-wannabes and boosts them up to match intel's enthusiast X99 line. That's not gonna be cheap.
I'm saying multicore CPUs with Intel-like IPC already exist. Zen isn't revolutionary in technology, the only thing that would make it a huge success is pricing, and there's is literally no information about that beyond bloggers' speculation
>>
>>58813178
>3.8GHz CPU overclocked to 4.5 - colder
>4.3GHz CPU overclocked to 5.0 - hotter
>KABY LAKE IS HOTTER THAN SKYLAKE AT THE EXACT SAME OVERCLOCKS!!!
This is literally the exact inaccuracy that led to the kelvin lake meme to even exist
>>
>>58813167
She said the lowest clocked they would release is 3.4ghz, they also demoed a 3.6
>>
>>58813178
My 7700k at 5 ghz doesn't touch 80c with a h60
>>
>>58813178
Then you're throwing performance away for no reason.

Intel macs last for years and they constantly sit at throttle temps, clearly the CPU doesn't give a fuck if it lives at 85-90c.
>>
>>58813306
Not all of us live in a place with central air, that's just asking to make my room a sauna.
>>
>>58810395
They said they'd have this basic zen design for the next 4 years, not that they'd be running on 14nm for the next 4 years.

They also said that AM4 will be a thing until DDR5.
>>
>>58813551
>tfw dad is selling ddr5 production to companies right now
I wonder if he has info about zen+
>>
>>58813602
probably not
>>
>>58813753
He has PS5 info and is working with/selling to AMD, he's gotta know something
>>
File: 1484774769286.jpg (45KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
1484774769286.jpg
45KB, 480x600px
>>58810149
sheeeit maybe it's time I upgrade my entire system from a x4 Athlon 2
>>
>>58813083
>If zen has some magical price I could see Intel MAYBE lowering prices (but Lisa herself said zen will not be positioned as budget hardware)
What Lisa specifically said is that they don't want to be seen as the budget option, not that they don't want to be seen as the better price for the performance.
Expect disruptive pricing of all the chips.
>>
>>58813806
why don't you waterboard him
>>
File: SMDH_TBH_FAM.gif (3MB, 414x382px) Image search: [Google]
SMDH_TBH_FAM.gif
3MB, 414x382px
>>58812734
please go ahead and point out which part of my sentence refers to gaming.
>>
>>58814165
Did you know Intel has had 6, 8, 10, 12 and 72 core chips for a long time?
Did you know that most of those CPUs from the last 3 years have the same core performance as the quad core unlocked gaymen CPUs that you think is intels only product?
>>
We /teamred/ now
Fuck jewtel and nvidishit
>>
File: image.png (165KB, 777x656px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
165KB, 777x656px
>>58814486
2017, the year AMD matched both the second best Intel processor and the second best nvidia GPU
Truly a day to go down in history
>>
This is bulldozer all over again
>>
>>58814696
The hype, yes. The architecture? Nope. Zen was designed by the certified shit wrecker.
>>
>>58811133
amd has the rage for the 8/16 will either start at i7 matching, or 500$
>>
>>58812850
every single review that compares it side by side to skylake.

the new decoder either heats up like a motherfucker, or they went to a cheaper tim, and seeing as it's the worst tim sense ivy bridge...
>>
>>58814070
I'm on that x4 955 trying to figure out what to replace it with... Not making much progress
>>
>>58815091
Maybe it's a phenom actually
>>
>>58814218
the phi is not a cpu its a coprocessor, same market as gpus or accelerators for workstations/servers
>>
>>58815091
You are in the same boat as me, let me help you out

When we got the phenom II it was still stupid to get a quad core for gaming, or at lest that was still a common thought, and we have gotten what, 6-7 years of computing out of it, and a good 4 years of that we never even considered an upgrade for cpu alone.

8/16 is the new 4 core, fucking retarded right now, but wait and see, its going to last as long if not longer then the 4 core did.
>>
>>58815134
Intredasting...
>>
>>58810699
>480RX
This faggot shill again.
>>
>>58815134
What will I have to pay for one of those in the months ahead though, and will there be models suitable for such a long-time investment that isn't in the most expensive segment of CPUs?
>>
>>58810634
>Ryzen will age like fine wine
getting this as a tattoo desu
>>
>>58812726
Not to mention that's at stock. I've been blasting my 2600k at 4.6 ever since I pulled that beast out of its box.
>>
>>58810149
Intel shills on suicide watch! Will they put 128-bit extensions in and blow Intel away forever? Remember that it took AMD's bold move to get 64 bit onto the desktop.
>>
>>58810244
>Intel and the Blu-Ray consortium lock you in with anti-copying 'feature'
>this is supposed to be good
kaby lake is another rehashed p3 just like everything since they killed the p4.
>>
>>58815588
86-64-128?
>>
>>58810634
>ipc
>muh ipc
wait until Zen is benchmarked before you talk about ipc as if it's the only thing that matters

might blow intel away, who knows, it's a new design, unlike Intel's 20-year old p3 core shit they keep speed bumping 1% per generation
>>
>>58815606
AMD128.
>>
>>58815606
Is this b8?
>>
>>58815649
>Intel tries to sell Itanics if you want 64 bit
>AMD puts in 64 bit extensions, Intel eventually adopts them

What's bait about it? The last big innovation to the x86 architecture came from AMD.
>>
>>58815665
>he thinks 86-bit is a real thing
Laughingwhores.jpg.docx
>>
>>58815685
Who said anything about 86-bit? The problem with you shills is that you can only lie, that's why you always end up looking stupid.

Just saying that AMD is the only innovator in the x86 arena.
>>
Hey shills, best thing to do is to let your bosses know that your inept shilling is actually making people turn on Intel.
>>
>>58815695
See >>58815606
The guy i said "is this b8" to was talking about "86" bit
>>
>>58815357
Amd has literally said the price point is either 350 or 500$

granted I assume base unit, however, what if, and bare with me, what if amd's marketing did something good? I know BIG fucking what if but hear me out.

Amd pitted the ryzen against a 6700 and 6900
kind of a what you pay for what you get scenerio
we have assumed for months that there will be a low bin sku, and a high binned one,
at ces they said '500$ is a solid drop in price performance, but price match the i7 and we change the industry'

we believe there are 2 skus and amd just mentioned two price points along with showing the 8 core 16 thread at a public event like its something they would get...

I have a feeling amd has flat out told us the price, just never confirmed the price so they news articles later teasing it.

now, globalfoundries is able to give amd 60k wafers a month, and it looks like the VAST majority of them wont be fuced dies either so there WILL be a glut of 8 core 16 thread. amd made this cpu to be mcm and work independently as well, and in the event amd needs more chips, they are going to overflow into samsung's foundries for the 14nm process. amds minimum capacity for cpus is somewhere around 7 million perfect dies a month.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were token 4 core skus and 6 core is the norm but rare, with the vast majority being 8 core 16 thread crap cpus that are low bin, through mid bin for consumers, and all the highest binned go off to mcm for enterprise. amd may even sell us the highest binned cpus, but we will be paying a pretty penny for those ones, but there is going to be a glut of crap binned to mid binned chips.

for me personally, Im looking at it from my phenom II perspective, and from the sandy bridge cpu too, they lasted 5+ years and the only reason you consider better is if you are trying to push 120+fps or render, for me that 8 core is quality of life, a high end upgrade path, and potentially a decade of use.
>>
>>58815588
>128-bit extensions
You mean SSE?

>>58810149
Intel will still be winning in single-threaded benchmarks (and hence probably games) so it will save face and even some reviews.
But still, if Ryzen 6C and 8C would be much better proposition compared to its 4C/8T i7s, it should get Intel under pressure.

However, people tend to ignore MT performance when it comes to AMD ("celeron is faster than FX-8350!!!!1one!"), so who knows, maybe Intel will be able to keep selling Kaby Lake quads like before in the end - no pricecuts, no faster SKUs, no marketshare loss to AMD.
>>
>>58815795
>Amd has literally said the price point is either 350 or 500$
They never promised anything about prices.
IMHO, top octo model is gonna be 700-900 USD, if it is true it approaches i7-6900K performance.
>>
>>58810699
no, see, ryzen was a known quantity for a good year at this point, they knew what they had, they knew it was exceeding expectations, but they waited to show it off, toe likely got the final chip around the new horizon event, at 12 million chip production a month (all the 14nm wafers) , they could have a stockpile of up to 36 million cpus at launch.

they are spreading out info slowly, keeping themselves in news and relevant for a nearly 4 month period of time now

even when kaby lake came out, it was all eyes on amd.

we likely won't know a price and date till around valentines day maybe till the 19th at latest

whoever is doing this slow drip marketing is fucking good.
>>
>>58815818
ces they flat out told us that is the range.
>>
File: 1449615981179.png (178KB, 540x500px) Image search: [Google]
1449615981179.png
178KB, 540x500px
>>58810149
>mfw still on my 3570k
For the price I paid, I feel good.
>>
Isn't zen supposed to be out already? wtf AMD
>>
>>58815885
Where? Note that I watch every news, I work as HW "journalist" of sorts.
If any article revealed anything about pricing information, it was fake/rumor.
>>
>>58815631
CanardPC's performance preview with their engineering sample was legit. We know generally how the chip performs relative to the competition in productivity and gaming workloads, and its good. They explicitly stated its near Broadwell IPC.
They had a chip with a 3.15ghz base clock, a listed 3.5ghz turbo which was never achieved, and their chip was A0, very first lot of silicon produced. Its known to have some performance impacting bugs affecting SMT and the uop cache. Despite that it still performed incredibly well. Everything else is minor details.
>>
>>58816500
>Its known to have some performance impacting bugs affecting SMT and the uop cache
That only affected stability. They used a BIOS/microcode that doesn'T fix the bugs so that they had the nominal performance.

The only thing that harms performance with this bug is the workaround. If you have read their editorial, then they wrote that there are two BIOSes - one that is slower and presumably workarounds the bugs, and another that is fast and probably ignores them. For the benchmarks, they used the fast one.

The newer revision chips should be fixed so that the slow workaround won't be needed. But that just means the performance stays the same and is not decreased.
>>
>>58816586
find it hard to believe that the bugs werent performance related given the blender and handbrake benchmarks in addition to the hands on time journalists had at the january event. all these sources indicate higher than broadwell ipc including gayms, yet the canard ES benchmarks show it lags significantly in ipc behind broadwell-e even allowing for the lower clocks on the a0 ryzen sample.
>>
>>58816777
>, yet the canard ES benchmarks show it lags significantly in ipc behind broadwell-e

It doesn't show that at all.
In gaming performance which is far less threaded than their productivity tests, the Ryzen chip was about 10% behind the i7 6900k with 10% lower clock speeds. Thats showing near equal per clock performance.
>>
>>58816790
if canard couldn't get the a0 running all core turbo faster than 3.35 and 6900k's all core turbo is 3.5 and beating by 10% that means that ryzen is behind in ipc by that benchmark, the delta in clock is lower than 10%. that's not what the journalists at hot chips found on newer ryzen silicon, where a 3.4ghz ryzen chip was outperforming the 6900k. that indicates to me that the a0 bugs are absolutely performance related. the retail ryzen will be much better than 'just' an upclocked a0 sample.
>>
>>58816832
> the retail ryzen will be much better than 'just' an upclocked a0 sample.
Retail silicon is either B0 or B1 stepping. Its a significant difference from early engineering samples.
>>
Well, if Intel stalls for years at the same performance level, it's inevitable that one of the handful of other chip manufacturers will start to approach their performance. Maybe this will force them to innovate for the first time in a decade.
>>
Will there be a cheap four cores with high IPC at under 60-70 dollars? I want to make viable goyming budget builds again.
>>
>>58816863
if by innovate you mean price drop, sure
>>
>>58816863
Intel isn't just sitting on a vault of secrets, withholding it from the common rabble to extort them with paltry upgrades. They have an actual new arch coming out sometime around 2021-2022. After Cannonlake comes Ice Lake, then Tiger Lake, and after that is new arch barring delays and refreshes.
>>
>>58816881
probably not at launch although it's possible.

the """""problem"""""" for amd is that the yields are too good on the zeppelin die
>>
>>58812759
Are you retarded?
>>
>>58815959
anandtech I believe, amd was openly asking journalists at ces about price and only gave them that range, because amd said nothing in absolutes, no one ran with 'this is the range we are looking at' but rather 'look at what amd is saying'

Im personally taking this as marketing looking for another little piece for the article while getting another article once they announce prices, with them telling you base 8 core and at least mild bin 8 core price, if they do bin further then that, the top is either going to be segmented to enterprise or will be touching if not exceeding intel's 8 core, because if there is AS big a difference in power as there was for polaris, where recent cards come in at 90-100 watts stock whereas initial cards came in around 150watts even after the voltage was un fucked, we are looking at possibly a best case scenario amd hitting 95 watts at 3.4 and a shit binned getting 150 at 3.4 or possibly the reverse shit binned are 3.4 and good ones are able to hit 3.4 at 65 watts

if a 8 core can go toe to toe with a 6900 and only be 65 watts, that would oc to hell and back easily, canrad already did a single core oc of the chip and hit 5ghz on that shit es, so nothing in the engineering is bottlenecking that thing, a 8 core that goes toe to toe with intels, that could oc VERY high as its not limited by power draw but mostly heat... that could be very well worth more then an intel one.

But the point im trying to get at is several fold
1) amd is making only 8 core chips with 16 threads
2) the 14nm samsung finfit (SP) is REALLY mature at this point and has very high yeilds meaning there will be fuckloads more 8 cores then 6 or 4, what would suit amd better? curring good 8 cores and selling them as 6 or 4, or selling the low binned 8 core for a cheaper then we think reasonable price to upsell people who would have went for a 6 core, possibly even a 4 core?
>>
>>58816937

because amd's entire fucking cpu lineup is derived from one die type, they don't have to subsidise anything, they don't own the fabs so they also don't have to fund that research, and if they just go mcm + apu and only have one sku for each type, you now have your mid to high end pc, your low end server to high end server all fed with the same chip and one low end laptop low end entry cpu with apu that is fucked, and low to mid range cpu with a gpu market satisfied.

you price that 8 core 16 thread right, you are going to attract FAR more people then they likely realize who wanted a real upgrade from an i7, be it nehalem, sandy bridge, ivy, or haswell, everything from their i3 line to their 6 core line is in risk of being lost due to a good price point form amd, and amd knows this.

What binning really gets you is the question.
Will amds 8/16 at low binning be capable of playing ball with the 8/16 at medium or high binning? that's really the only area we don't know, because we got a good fucking idea on price, amd has been showing us sense new horizon but everyone just doesn't believe it.
>>
>>58816984
Is there any chance of a situation where AMD just locks away or disables unstable cores, making it a situation similar to the RX 480 4GB vs 8GB where the blower version 4GB were actually 8GB with a simple bios flash?
>>
>>58817001
That would honestly be fantastic marketing, but would largely make people try to get the 6 or 4 core cpus, something they will have relatively none of, cannibalizing the higher end cpu sales due to demand.

my bet is they cut the dies to disable them unless enough cpus are fucked to satisfy a 6 core lineup in full swing so they don't need to fuck up good 8 cores.

if you could bios enable cores, you may be able to get one of the two cores to work that way.
>>
>>58813083
>Lisa herself said zen will not be positioned as budget hardware

thats kinda disappointing since thats what I, as a new pc builder, see AMD as. They are the Budget Version, appealing the the Communist Masses.

wonder if this is just going to turn into a money fight for who can make the most Expensive products at only a few die hard LN2 builders and people that hate their money will care about.
>>
I just bought a 7700k and a z270 board.

How bad did I fuck up?

[spoiler]Windows 7 is going on it and this is likely to be the last generation to actually get drivers for 7, so I'm good.[/spoiler]
>>
>>58817154
we will know in a year or so.

you can make the fastest car in the world, but if no one makes roads for it to drive on *shrugs*
>>
>>58817154
Really? Have you went to the download site to find these drivers yet?
>>
>>58817362

Yes. I already have a Windows 7 USB install media prepped with Storage and USB drivers pre-installed, waiting for Tuesday. I also have the VGA drivers ready to go as well.

Intel (and AMD) might be forced to play their stupid little games with Microsoft limiting driver support, but Asus doesn't have to.
>>
>>58815847
IIRC the head at marketing on AMD is the former Nvidia marketing head.
>>
>>58817137
there are 2 ways to interpret that

1) we want intel money
2) we don't want to be seen as the shit you get because you can't afford something good.

I believe what she meant by it was 2, looking at every single thing they launched sense she said that.
>>
>>58817001
Since Bulldozer they've been disabling cores via laser, so that's a no-go.
>>
>>58815744
I think he was implying that the name for the new arch be 86-64-128, for 86, referring to the same 86 that x86 does. You must be pretty young.
>>
>>58815804
>You mean SSE
No.
>>
>>58816500
We know nothing until retail units are being benchmarked. Not gay ass 3D gaymen benchmarks, but the proper Spec suite.
>>
>>58815804
>so it will save face and even some reviews.
they'll be ahead by like 5% singlethreaded for 30% higher prices.
>>
>>58818216
This is going to be like a Trump win if you shills keep this up. AMD crushes Intel forever, you lose your minds and start rioting, etc.
>>
>>58816937
>what would suit amd better? curring good 8 cores and selling them as 6 or 4, or selling the low binned 8 core for a cheaper then we think reasonable price to upsell people who would have went for a 6 core, possibly even a 4 core?
Selling a thousand 250$ 4c/8t chips rather than a hundred 750$ 8c/16t
It's like you don't even understand how economies of scale work.
>>
>>58817553
I'd say 2 for sure.

Intel has far too much mindshare for them to match them in price even at 99% the same performance. Obviously they'll have to offer a better value. How much better is yet to be seem but we'll know by mid-March.

What she doesn't want is the way things have been since Bulldozer, where it was difficult to suggest an AMD processor at all unless you could get a really killer deal on it. The past 2 years it hasn't really even been easy to suggest the 6300 as a competitor to a lowly i3 for a budget build unless the ~$50 difference really proved to be too steep.

Zen, at the very least, should offer genuinely satisfactory performance and -unless Lisa is not the savvy business woman she's proven herself to be thus far- likely at a better price.
>>
File: 1406166516238.png (454KB, 414x499px) Image search: [Google]
1406166516238.png
454KB, 414x499px
>tfw AMD 9370 at 5 ghz
Hue.

Will I ever need to upgrade?
>>
File: 1475027957584.jpg (29KB, 299x303px) Image search: [Google]
1475027957584.jpg
29KB, 299x303px
>>58810149
Do you mean the market leader scared by a shitty competitor what is on verge to became as relevant as Via/S3? Intel can make few years to sacrifice their profit to win the OEM contracts, but the price war too. AMD only hope now is the gamers.
I found funny how HT style bullshit became a good thing for AMD fans.
>>
>>58819115
Zen and vega are both heavily targeted at enterprise, servers, super computing, workstations, etc. markets where the big profit comes from. We as consumers are going to get the slim pickings. Just like we have with Polaris for nearly a year now.

AMD could subsidize costs for big players by offering packages of 32c/64t MCM golden chips running undervolted at full clockspeed paired with full Vega chips. It's something only AMD can offer.

It remains to be seen just how enticing this offering will be in the real world, but they've basically proven already Vega puts the gaming market in the backseat.
>>
All the desperate Intel shilling makes me think it's a shit company.
>>
>>58815908
> still on my 3870K

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-3870%20AD3870WNZ43GX.html

http://ark.intel.com/products/65520/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

TCASE 67.4°C
Maximum operating temperature ? 72.7°C
>>
File: eh.png (36KB, 751x152px) Image search: [Google]
eh.png
36KB, 751x152px
>>
>>58819075
mindshare means fucking dick in enterprise.
consumer side, anyone with a desktop, or a need for a desktop knows their shit enough or just buys what's in that box at walmart.
laptops... honestly, I havent heard someone seriously know or talk about intel in a long time.

the mindshare may have been there at one time but its not the same anymore.

ryzen is coming out before the 27th i believe,

on the side of money, if amd prices to high, they sell dick and give intel a chance to respond, if they price it low, they have a chance to sell all the cpus, and let intel have no way to respond outside of tanking all their chip prices.

for innitial ryzen release. I want to say they will make a token 4 core sku that will be replace with an apu once they come out, 6 core will be in low supply because of very high yeilds for perfectly working 8/16 and one 8/16 sku will be low enough to upsell people who may have gotten a 6 core to.

My bets are once the apu comes along amd will take over the pentium to i3 price point, and have no real answer for the i5 lineup, as yields aren't shit enough to justify a 6 core, people were upsold to an 8 core, and the 4 core lineup is just an i7 like performance so there is no clear upgrade going to it from a 4000-7000 i5 perspective, not enough of a boost in performance to justify purchase.

and this is where amd can either cut the price of their 8/16 bottom barrel cpu, or disable smt on it and sell it as an 8/8 in the i5 range. but this range wont properly be addressed until around december if amd doesn't 8/8 from the get go for them along with have a 6/12 ready
>>
>>58819089
Yes. Wait for Skylake-X.
>>
>>58818917
>He actually thinks the bottom 8/16 will be over 600$

dipshit, amd has been screaming the price at you for months and you have yet to listen to them, maybe a month after they announced the prices and you stop shaking your head in disbelief you will start to see how much intel has been fucking you all these years.
>>
>>58819198
intel has no answer for the compute, the ram throughput, the pci lanes, and possibly not even with their knights landing shit though im not familiar with it enough to say for certain

if enterprise needs the compute, needs the bandwidth, needs the lanes, needs the flops, amd is the only answer at the top currently.
>>
>>58819962
>>58819992
The one area AMD will have trouble as far as enterprise goes is they simply lack the man power to provide tier 1 tech support 24/7.

If a big company doesn't trust them to provide competent support, they may lean toward intel/nvidia. Remember that the entire reason nvidia has enjoyed the level of success they've achieved with GPGPU is basically thanks entirely to CUDA. They have teams of software engineers dedicated to hands on support for customers and for software companies alike.

AMD has been making strides with drivers on consumer parts, but they'll need to expand rapidly to match the likes of intel and nvidia.

I would bet many companies will give them a chance based on superior hardware alone, but it won't win everyone over.

Having a solid line up of impressive parts is only the beginning.

Oh and I wouldn't get my hopes up over a 4c or even 8c/8t part. I've read some reasonably believable comments that suggest yields on parts like those would be pretty small. I could believe after a few months they might have enough saved up to put them on the market, but definitely not at launch.

And the APU's are just as exciting as the enterprise parts. I really hope we see APU's with HBM to overcome the memory bottleneck their current parts suffer. It would make for a rather expensive part, but an amazing option for high end AIO's, and yet another part only AND could possibly offer.
>>
>>58820114
>tier 1 tech support 24/7
lol just no, what the fuck does that ever mean
>>
>>58810947
Almost all kaby lake CPUs can OC to 4.9ghz
It's possibly the best overclocking CPU available
>>
>>58820181
>muh overclocking gaymen
it's pretty sad to see who intel panders to
>>
>>58811109
PSP doesn't have network access.
>>
>>58811930
Wow cool the i7 6950x is twice as fast as the i7 2600k.
>>
>>58810244
because even with intel and amd performing the same they will still be the lead in market share by a long shot
Fuck even if AMD can magically beat intel then intel would still have the majority of the market
>>58810288
if I remember right that was one benchmark that runs extremely well on amd systems.
also I'm pretty sure the 6900k or whatever they used to test was down clocked.
>>58811828
anything above 60% is when you start to see a cpu bottleneck
and above 80% cpu usage is when the cpu bottleneck becomes really noticeable.
and if you run literally anything else in the background it's not uncommon to get an i7 above 60-80% load in gta 5.
>>
>>58820309
As a company I'd rather pander to gaymen crowd of people who are actually capable of spending $60 on a video game and $300 on a CPU that's superficially designed to be better at low threaded apps than its $1000 8/12 core alternatives than to a bunch of ricing autistic neets that want everything for free.
>>
>>58811828
Now enable custom radio and see that usage going up to 90% because Rockstar would rather live stream your music instead of using a codec.
>>
>>58810244
They will lower prices eventually, but they dont want to because they answer to their investors and they've had close to a monopoly for years. PC market has been shrinking and theyve been reaching out for new revenue streams like AI and IOT.

"We are evolving from a PC company to a company that powers the cloud and billions of smart, connected computing devices," chief executive Brian Krzanich declared.

They also layed off 12000 staff members in 2016, alot of them were R&D staff for cpus.

PC market is shrinking and they are trying to branch out, but it still remains their main revenue stream, and now they will have actual competition.

I'm shorting intel pretty hard for the next few years.
>>
File: 1484705122780.jpg (236KB, 2004x1848px) Image search: [Google]
1484705122780.jpg
236KB, 2004x1848px
The Intel shills are literally shaking, they can not even, T R I G G E R E D...
>>
>>58821046
>>58821046

where did you get that 60% - 80% number?
source?
>>
>>58821139
>Shorting a huge company after mass layoffs

Bad idea mate
>>
man, and i just spend like 150 to replace the mobo and ram for my g3258 build. now its no good due to lmao2cores
>>
>>58821046
The benchmark in question, Blender, is exactly the opposite of what you stated- they chose it specifically BECAUSE it's something intel has traditionally done exceptionally well in. They even released the specific test to the public so anyone with an i7 6900k can run the same test the same exact way and compare results. From what I've seen, most people end up with WORSE results than what AMD's 6900k demo showed.

They put everything in the open -the zen sample was at 3.4ghz with turbo disabled, and the 6900k was at stock clocks with turbo up to 3.7ghz enabled.

Add to that the cannardpc tests of a now 4-6 months old 3.15ghz es with turbo up to 3.4ghz getting similar results while pulling ~25w less than the 6900k and zen looks quite promising.
>>
>>58816937
Don't you get sick of typing this out? Is there some other board that would be more appropriate for you to post your fan fiction on?
>>
6c/6t 3.4/3.8 8MB L3 - $149
6c/12t 3.6/4.0 8MB L3 - $199
6c/12t 3.8/4.2 16MB L3 - $250
8c/16t 3.4/3.8 16MB L3 - $350
8c/16t 4.0/4.5 16MB L3 - $500+

source: dad works at nintendo
>>
>>58822058
>8 cores
>4ghz base
retard alert
>>
File: 1485938046813.png (326KB, 446x508px) Image search: [Google]
1485938046813.png
326KB, 446x508px
>>58822058

Seems legit
>>
>>58821776
>turbo up to 3.7ghz enabled.
turbo gives it worse performance tho
>>
>>58822214
wat
>>
>>>58812086
>Do you have proof of running hot
https://youtu.be/Bhe85LLQEfw
>20c difference
>>
>>58813000
it was moved to late q3 august/september
>>
>>58821139
>>58821338
They literally turned around and hired h1b pajeets to fill diversity quotas.
>>
>>58810253
>implying Canard PC is not independent
>>
>>58813000
>caunter
2x price for cpu
2x price for mobo
>>
>>58822122
3.6/4.0 are not final clocks
>>
>>58813000
>>58823823
were the fuck is 6 core for 1151, jewtel?
>>
>>58823885
Probably are. F4 OPNs are incredibly recent silicon. They wouldn't be validating any newer SKUs so close to release.

If they have any higher clocking binnings they'll be released later as a refresh to bring up the base clocks of the whole product line.
>>
Am I the only one more excited for Zen+ ?

>higher IPC when IPC is already 5% away from Intel's newest architecture
>2x256 FMAC(if there's demand)?
>higher clocks due to more mature process
>possibly at lower power
>>
>>58824379
Zen will light Intel's ass on fire, Zen+ will be another K7 for Intel if it doesn't pull a rabbit out of the hat with Cannonlake.
[spoiler]
And no using 10 watts less with a bigger GPU with a 1% IPC increase at 4 cores isn't gonna help them much[/spoiler]
>>
>>58824379
The prospect of Zen+ is pretty incredible, really shows that AMD is back and gunning for the performance crown.
>>
I always buy Intel + Nvidia.
It is meant to be like that.
No pajeet tech in my room.
Kaby was handcrafted by wizard technicians in Intel lab in California.
>>
>>58811576
You should count how many physical cores each chip has, then get back to us with your statement
>>
>>58824379
>2x256 FMAC(if there's demand)?
Looking forward to see how will Ryzen perform in AVX2 benches. If the difference is not disproportionally huge, don't think AMD will go for moar AVX route, they already have GPU IP for crunching
>>
http://www.linleygroup.com/mpr/article.php?id=11666

David Kanter on Zen
>>
>>58823913
>6 core for 1151
lol

>>58823823
Kaby Lake-X is a 4c/8t, they will probably clock it around 5 GHz out of box and have "budget" x299 mobos to cater muh single thread gaymen benchmarks
>>
>>58824379
Doubling the size of the FPU will use a lot of power and die area, I don't think it'll happen outside of Naples+ or whatever their multi-die chip is.

I'm more interested if they'll make a 12 core die, or if they get enough money are planning on moving to monolithic xbox hueg dies.
>>
>>58824379
>2x256 FMAC?
not 6x128 FMACs
>>
>>58824534

Nobody on /g/ actually knows enough about cpus to understand that.
>>
>>58824839
Lmao that's about the dumbest thing I've heard after a 2MB l1i$ cache
>>
>>58824890
you want 8x128?
>>
>>58824534

>We expect the Zen core will ship at roughly 3.2GHz;

Kantor, plz - you are smarter than this.
>>
>>58824924
> August 29, 2016

He wasn't all that off.
And would have probably been right if AMD shipped some earlier stepping.
>>
>>58824924
Its from August last year, he has no access to any insider information, hes just going off of what was publicly known.
His perf/clock estimations are way off too.
>>
>>58824924
Way closer than The Stilt who shilled that there's absolutely no way that Zen will have a higher base than 2.9 or something.
>>
>>58824945
AMD has already cited 'over 40% IPC' increase last month, meaning their new core exceeded their expectations.
Naturally his old info is way off now.
>>
>>58810149
Update on OP's tweet: the full article
https://www.cpchardware.com/intel-prepare-la-riposte-a-ryzen/
>inb4 french
>>
>>58825018
>french
>>
>>58825018
Can Gargle translate speak frog?
>>
>>58825063
and quite well
>>
Lmao

https://www.techpowerup.com/230400/intel-readies-the-xeon-gold-series-processors-for-media-workstations
>>
>>58825018
Intel answers with housefires.

First we find the Core i7 7740K . It has 8 MB of L3, with a base frequency of 4.30 GHz (100 MHz more than the Core i7 7700K) at the price of a significantly higher TDP (> 100W against 91W). The Turbo frequency is not known, but should logically be 4.60 GHz.

One of the other sample takes the name of Core i5 7640K . At first glance, this is also a speed bump of the Core i5 7600K: Quad Core, 6MB L3, 4.0GHz base frequency for the 7640K against 3.8GHz for the 7600K. On the TDP side, it would also climb above the 100W. But there is much more interesting: the Core i5 7640K would have active SMT (Hyper-threading), a first for a Core i5 Desktop. This modification profoundly upsets the segmentation of the different "Core". Until now, the Core i5 were distinguished from the Core i7 by the absence of Hyper-threading.
>>
>>58825109
>Quad core i5s become i7s
>i7s becomes 6 core mainstream processors with Coffee Lake
>intel pushing clocks desperately high and throwing TDP out the window
>all because they know Zen is a real threat

AMD must have something special on their hands or intel wouldn't be doing this.
>>
>>58825109
Good, now I want 8 core Zen's with a 140W TDP as well.

Fuck you niggers I ain't buying a fucking full tower so you can chimp out on performance with your $500 CPU for the sake of muhsavethetrees
>>
>>58811845
If you do rendering of any kind you want as many c/t as you can.
>>
>>58811930
There is a special place in hell for people who do charts not starting at 0.
>>
>>58825169
AMD/Nvidia/Intel/Samsung marketing department?
>>
File: 1483944597648.jpg (277KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1483944597648.jpg
277KB, 1000x1414px
>>58810321
>6 cores coming for mainstream

Are you fucking high? Most consumers still have 2c/(possibly 4t) processors.
>>
>falling for the rizshit meme
>thinking that there'll be any of the same motherboard options for it like intel based mobos

If you're into Mini ITX builds there probably wont be any mobos for it either. That to me is SHIT!
>>
>>58825216
Get with the times.
Coffee Lake's top end is a 6 core Iris Pro equipped part.

>>58825219
shitposter go home
>>
>>58819606

FAKE NEWS
>>
>>58825219
That's okay, most people don't buy manlet boards in the first place :)
>>
>>58810149
>Commencing a flipper over ryzen
French is a funny language
>>
>>58816937
AnandTech didn't write anything like that and if they did, it would be just speculation.
AMD guards everything extremely tightly and prices won'T be officially announced until last minute, that is still under NDA and perhaps not even determined yet.
>>
File: 1482536050883.jpg (395KB, 1000x702px) Image search: [Google]
1482536050883.jpg
395KB, 1000x702px
>>58825240
>top end
>mainstream
These terms are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>58810149
Still running the i7 930, should I upgrade to AMD once Ryzen comes out ?
>>
>>58825318
No they aren't you dipshit.
i7s are mainstream parts.
>>
File: 1476463228201.png (614KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476463228201.png
614KB, 700x800px
>>58825328
>i7
>mainstream
Fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>58825140

Didn't you get the /g/ approved memo? AMD aren't allowed to do anything good.
>>
>>58825248

>not building a cute af watercooled mini itx
>not being secure in yourself as a man to see the benefits of building an itx

An ITX can be brought anywhere! It's perfect for me as I travel back and forth on weekends
You should try get out and live a little.

What's the point of building a PC if no ones going to see it?
>>
File: 1485919594988.jpg (56KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485919594988.jpg
56KB, 640x640px
>>58825018
>AMD seems to be competitive again
>Intel instantly throws out desktop i5 chip with HT
rly makes u think
>>
>>58825351
Get a laptop.
Keep your desktop at home.
>>
File: 1486234294383-pol.jpg (191KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1486234294383-pol.jpg
191KB, 499x499px
>>58811701
But it's the same litho size including total architecture overhaul. Piledriver was a generation iteration.
You're forgetting Jim Keller(the man who helped make the anthlon64 destroy Intel's Pentium's) helped design Zen and possibly Zen+.
>>
>>58825365

I already have one. Not willing to spend 3 grand on an alienware just to sit in front of a 17inch screen. At least with a Mini ITX, it's upgrade-able and runs unfathomably cooler.
>>
>>58825392
Good god, are you lugging around a fucking mouse/keyboard/monitor with your mITX build?
>>
>>58825408

No, I rent in a capital city and go back up north to my family on weekends. You must be mad to think I do. I have two desks set out ready to go.
>>
>>58825337
>>58825318
>>58825216

Mainstream i7 is z*platform
Enthusiast i7 is x* platform

Top end mainstream i7, highest specced i7 for z* platform
>>
Kyle seems to think this deal nearly done.

>https://hardforum.com/threads/from-ati-to-amd-back-to-ati-a-journey-in-futility-h.1900681/page-72#post-1042797289
>>
>>58825473
>Kyle
Opinion discarded
>>
File: 1477574090122.jpg (110KB, 716x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1477574090122.jpg
110KB, 716x1117px
>>58825435
>moving the goalposts from mainstream CPU corecount to mainstream i7
No.
>>
>>58825540
I'm a different guy moron, that's why I quoted all your posts
>>
File: 1476385662617.png (3MB, 1446x2046px) Image search: [Google]
1476385662617.png
3MB, 1446x2046px
>>58825557
Okay, you still moved the goal posts of the conversation.

i7s are far from mainstream
and based off, steam surveys, the closest thing we have to a large survey of hardware, skewed in favor of higher corecounts, half of all cpus have less then 2 cores.
>>
NVidia is shit
>>
>>58825630
I'm replying to your "mutually exclusive" comment, and don't give a fuck about your goals. Mainstream i7 is a commonly used term to differentiate it from -E chips, it doesn't refer to the actual marketshare of the CPU eg: you can call 7700k a top end mainsteam i7.
>>
>>58825630
Everything not enterprise and prosumer is mainstream, you retarded little child.
The i3/i5/i7 SKUs are all mainstream parts. The i7E line is not mainstream, it is HEDT/Prosumer.
>>
File: 1481401076858.png (730KB, 550x1278px) Image search: [Google]
1481401076858.png
730KB, 550x1278px
>>58825853
>Everything not enterprise and prosumer is mainstream
Broad and incorrect stroke there picasso. Just because its not meant for a professional doesn't mean it's mainstream. It may be MEANT for the mainstream, but what its meant for and what it is are two different things.
>>58825762
Then why quote all 3 comments if you only wanted to reply to one?
Also top-end and mainstream are mutually exclusive in the scope I was using them. An i7 is a cpu. It's a top of the line cpu, and it's not mainstream. Anything that is the top of the line of its product is never mainstream unless you start adding qualifiers such as "of this line" or "in this area"

For a product in general, the top of the line is never mainstream. Shoes, cars, electronics, houses, fucking anything really. Limited income and other such shit leads to compromises for the majority of people a.k.a the mainstream.
>>
>>58826229
>I make up my own imaginary definitions for words
>then I try to argue with people about them

Stay in /v/ you autsitic little child.
>>
File: 1476385745602.jpg (394KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1476385745602.jpg
394KB, 850x1200px
>>58826247
>I accuse people whose definitions and application are correct of being wrong because they don't agree with me
Back to /pol/ CTR
>>
>>58826272
i7s are mainstream no matter how much you shitpost, mentally broken autist.
>>
>>58810309

Eating all the resources you can get does not prove good design you autistic sperglord.
>>
>>58826282
>i7
>mainstream
No matter how often you tell yourself this, it wont change the fact that the majority of people don't use HT or have an i7
>>
>>58826326
It has nothing to do with with rate of adoption, it is pricing structure and market segment being addressed. i7s are mainstream consumer CPUs.
You're too mentally ill to understand this, your pathetically miswired brain just can't comprehend this all too simple information. I truly do pity you.
>>
>>58826358
Other faggot here.

i7's aren't mainstream.
>>
>>58826367
I don't believe you.
Either post sales figures or gtfo
>>
>>58826406
Sales figures are irrelevant. Entry level, mainstream, prosumer, and enterprise hardware is not differentiated based on how it sells. It is feature level, performance, and pricing.
>>
File: 1477847097615.jpg (518KB, 1317x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1477847097615.jpg
518KB, 1317x1000px
>>58826358
>This much ad hominem in an attempt to deflect

Should I go get the smug anime face?

also what this anon says>>58826437
>>
>>58826437
And i7's feature level and pricing fall under mainstream
>>
>>58826453
You just quoted both of my posts saying the exact same thing. You're too retarded for words, pathetic autist.
i7s are mainstream consumer CPUs. They are not prosumer. They are not enterprise. They are not entry level.
They're mainstream market segment.

>>58826475
Thats exactly my point.
>>
>>58825298
arstechnica, and here is the quote

At CES, the company openly asked journalists what it should be priced at. Price an eight-core Ryzen at around £400/$500 and you bring down the cost of eight-core chips to that of a six-core—a solid move for consumers, but not one that will greatly affect mainstream performance. Price it the same as a quad-core i7-7700K—about £300/$330—and you dramatically shake up the industry. The decision is yet to be made.

seeing motherboard manufacturers ramp the fuck up hard on amd cpus for high end systems... I don't think they would do that for just 4/8 or 6/12 as that's not compelling enough to get people i5 or i7 to jump.
>>
>>58827008
The relevant part was just below that paragraph. AMD rep saying they were taking feeback on pricing, and they weren't going to do what intel does in regards to pricing.
>>
File: Rc9hobB.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Rc9hobB.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>58826475
>And i7's feature level and pricing fall under mainstream
>4cores with hyper threading is mainstream
>300+ for cpu alone when people buy entire computers for that is mainstream.
WRONG

>>58826490
Sorry, I meant to add "is retarded" at the end
Just because the product isn't the figurative bleeding edge, doesn't mean it's mainstream.
Producers don't determine whats mainstream, consumers do.

You asked for this
>>
>>58821194
Real life
just look at the video and the gpu usage
see how it drops below 99% usage when the cpu usage starts to get above 60%?
>>
>>58824738
M O A R
O
A
R

C O R E S
O
R
E
S
>>
>>58826437
I thought the argument was about i7's being mainstream. What in the actual fuck does anything you just said have to do with that? Seems like a comparison of sales of different models would be more relevant.
>>
>>58827521
>I thought the argument was about i7's being mainstream.
It is, though it isn't much of an argument. Just one autist making up his own definitions for things then pretending like they're bible fact.
Mainstream does not refer to how popular something is, it doesn't describe what the majority of the market is buying here. Its a specific term used to signify a distinct segment of the market. Sales figures have nothing to do with it.

Enterprise
Prosumer/HEDT
Mainstream
Entry Level

These are distinct market segments addressed in PC hardware sales aside from the mobile market. They are differentiated by price, features, and performance levels, not by sales.

Xeons and Xeon Phi are enterprise.
i7E SKUs are prosumer/HEDT.
Core i3, i5, and i7 processors are all mainstream parts.
Pentiums and Celerons are entry level.
>>
File: 833a95ed6554174ac9639c56196240d7.jpg (109KB, 736x1261px) Image search: [Google]
833a95ed6554174ac9639c56196240d7.jpg
109KB, 736x1261px
>>58827611
>Mainstream does not refer to how popular something is
Except it literally does.
Mainstream:
Noun: the ideas, attitudes, or activities that are regarded as normal or conventional; the dominant trend in opinion, fashion, or the arts.
Adjective: belonging to or characteristic of the mainstream.

i7s of any variety aren't mainstream CPUs because most consumers don't purchase an i7 CPU. An i5, pentium, or i3 is more likely to be considered mainstream

Windows is mainstream
Intel is mainstream
Nvidia is mainstream
all due to market-share dominance.
>>
>>58827707
Yes, autist. We all know that your miswired brain can't handle this. Its too abstract an idea for your malformed inferior mind.
You don't need to keep embarrassing yourself.
>>
File: Tua3u0L.png (184KB, 777x656px) Image search: [Google]
Tua3u0L.png
184KB, 777x656px
>>58827743
>>
I have to be patient and wait another 3 weeks until reviews are out and then simply buy the better product.
>>
>>58810309
Wouldn't that mean it's better to have a server build than some expensive as fuck hex/octo-core desktop?
>>
>>58828290
Most games/software still don't use the other cpus in multi-cpu builds yet unless its software specifically made for a server because its not worth coding all that for that 0.1% of people out there actually using a server as a PC
>>
>>58828084
Madness. Buy everything .
>>
>>58825216

Yeah and 640k of memory ought to be enough for anyone
Thread posts: 298
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.