[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong? Did digg kill them before it became reddit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: a.png (62KB, 600x157px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
62KB, 600x157px
What went wrong? Did digg kill them before it became reddit? Was it always shit?
>>
>>58803464
Toxic snobbery
Boring articles about patches to software
"In crowd" that downvotes and upvotes based on username

Such a rancid echo chamber. Every single poster was a hosed up low tier programmer or networking rat.
>>
It was the Hacker News of its time from 1998-2004. Then everyone with a clue migrated to Digg, leaving only sanctimonious turbo-autists suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect (much like HN's comment section today).
>>
So what is the site that all the l33t hackers use these days?
t.casual who just wants to lurk
>>
>>58803464
slashdot was always shit but still attracted smart nerd.

digg and reddit both stole the ingenious post voting concept from bash.org
>>
I like slashdot.
It's just that the editors like push social justice every now and again.
>>
>>58803543
i think they just hang out on stackexchange. though metafilter also generates interesting discussion
>>
File: znnkWegi.png (225KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
znnkWegi.png
225KB, 500x500px
SoylentNews is where actual nerds go.
https://soylentnews.org/

Unlike Slashdot, they keep their code open.
https://github.com/SoylentNews
>>
>>58803612
>last week's HN links with literally no community
wow, it's fucking nothing
>>
currently on the front page of SN

[Biology] Frogs Catch Prey with Non-Newtonian Saliva
[Medicine] Five Major Cancer Studies Are Proving Difficult to Reproduce
[Geophysics] UK Completes Antarctic Halley Base Relocation
[Agriculture / Chemistry] Slow-Released Fertilizer is More Effective and Reduces Run-Off
[Physics] Scientists Produce Electricity by Evaporating Water From a Chunk of Soot
[Computing] FCC to Make Proposals Public, Rescinds Net Neutrality Claims
[Astrophysics] Milky Way is Not Only Being Pulled—It's Also “Pushed” by a Void
[Computing] Nvidia Stops Promotional Game Resales by Tying Codes to Hardware
[Medicine]
Salicylic Acid, an Ingredient in Some Pain Relief Medications, May Promote Bacteria Colonization
[Politics] Plan to Reduce Air Pollution Chokes in Mexico City

I like the diverse topics. Reading only computing news dulls your brain.
>>
>>58803648
Little bit too diverse for me.
Who gives a shit about Mexico City?
>>
>>58803464
I was a regular there until the constant sony-bashing with the ps3. After the hundredth time I heard someone with aspbergers exclaim that they boycotted Sony and sold their non-existent ps3 with +5 insightful I had had enough. At around the same time when the Wii launched these same people were glowing over it and posting how this was going to be their first console purchase since the Atari 2600. I would post how motion controls were bullshit and I'd always get flamed.

Slashdot and Fark were my go to sites. Fark was killed by the utter idiocy of the owner.
>>
>>58803670
It wasn't just the PS3 fiasco, but also audio CDs with rootkits in the data track.
>>
>>58803570

I guess that's true. Stack really revolutionized the nerd culture. I mean you can't really troll your way through it, if you don't have something good to say gtfo.

Then again it's too decentralized, it's not really a community mainly a Q&A place.
>>
>>58803464
I've been browsing slashdot from the start and still do but I never bothered with the comments
>>
>>58803690
And that affected a total of 10 people? Who cares.
>>
>>58803711
It's a matter of principle.
>>
>>58803690
And that affected a total of 10 people? Who cares. And yes I know you're trolling me.
>>
>>58803670
God damn that sounds offensively autistic. Let them stew in their autism.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.