[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>get an ipod classic for christmas >thought it'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: featured-contetn-itunes-icon_2x.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
featured-contetn-itunes-icon_2x.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>get an ipod classic for christmas
>thought it'd be cool since it has a lot of space
>put about 80gb of songs onto it, or atleast try to
>first time syncing it got half way through and stopped
>sorry this ipod could not sync because it was disconnected
>try again
>gets half way through the next batch until it does it again
>have to resync three whole times
>just about done until it gave me a mystical fucking error saying I only have 300mb left of space and it couldn't sync even though i had 80gb OF STORAGE LEFT
>tried unplugging, replugging it in, restarting the ipod, retstarting itunes, all to no fucking avail
>had to delete 20gb of songs to even get it to sync because anything less and it would bitch and moan "sorry only 10mb left of storage durr"
>the whole process of syncing simple songs took nearly an hour
How is this acceptable? Did a fucking intern code iTunes? This shit is unbelievable. There's no reason copying songs to a device should be this god damn hard.
>>
>>58802986
>Not just getting a subscription service
>>
>>58802986
>applel

Found your problem.
>>
>>58802986
>install Rockbox
>drag and drop songs to device
>>
>>58802986
> Ipod classic
> being this poor
> being underaged
> storing songs on local disk
>>
>>58804063
>having the best DAP is bad
>being able to play music without Internet is bad
You need help.
>>
>>58804032
so far the only somewhat useful comment.
well i got nothing to add. stopped using itunes after my nano died back in the day. but arent there non itunes programs for using ipods?
>>
>>58804111
Yeah, I know Spotify works (or at least did) and there are a few Linux music players that can but I can't remember any off the top of my head
>>
>>58804079

>having the best DAP is bad
Mate. The iPod classic is utter shit. In audio quality, UI, and literally every metric one would measure a DAP by anymore.

In the age of >128gb MicroSD Cards, there is LITERALLY no excuse to have some ancient, HDD-based player. Especially not one that needs to have it's firmware modded to use software that isn't a metric pile of shit to load music onto it, playback media in a format that's relevant to audio quality, has a shit DAC and doesn't AMP well, can't even accept an external DAC/digital amp that isn't proprietary, and costs as much as it does/did.

iTunes is utter shite that -NEEDS- to die. Apple talks about having the courage to remove the headphone jack, they need to have the courage to make their iProducts useful without a legacy app from before the twin towers collapsed.

Just get a Sony Hi-Res player with MicroSD Card slot, and slap in a 128gb MicroSD Card, or larger. Then load it up with MP3s, FLACs, or whatever.
>>
>>58804165
>Mate. The iPod classic is utter shit. In audio quality
It's not the best but is certainly good
>UI
Entirely subjective. The iPod's UI is my favourite of any DAP, including all of the Rockbox themes I've found
>and literally every metric one would measure a DAP by anymore.
Literally nah
>HDD-based player
If your iPod has an HDD, you're doing it wrong.
cl
>>
>>58804207
>It's not the best but is certainly good
A GOOD DAP is a smartphone. There is no reason to have a "GOOD" DAP anymore. It's like having a GOOD point-n-shoot camera or a GOOD DVD Drive in your desktop. Their usages have been utterly circumvented by other mediums, and if you aren't aiming for a unique, or great/amazing solution, you're literally wasting money, time, effort, and making yourself look like an idiot.
>Entirely subjective. The iPod's UI is my favourite of any DAP, including all of the Rockbox themes I've found
Objectively, your taste is shit and stuck in 2004 as far as UI design goes. Please don't spread your tastes to others. Some of us like advancements in UI design and language.
>Literally nah
What does it do well? Please tell me.
>If your iPod has an HDD, you're doing it wrong.
WTF are you smoking, anon? If you have an 80GB Classic, you have an HDD-based DAP. It has a tiny, 1.8" hard drive. If your iPod lacks an HDD, it's not a Classic, and not 80Gbs. Or it's a knock off.
>>
File: iPod Classic SSD mod.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
iPod Classic SSD mod.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>58804311
>A GOOD DAP is a smartphone
A GOOD DAP does one thing and one thing well. That thing is to play music.
>Objectively
No. UI preference is undeniably subjective.
>What does it do well? Please tell me.
Store a large amount of music to play with physical buttons for controlling the device.
>WTF are you smoking, anon? If you have an 80GB Classic, you have an HDD-based DAP. It has a tiny, 1.8" hard drive. If your iPod lacks an HDD, it's not a Classic, and not 80Gbs. Or it's a knock off.
Pic related
>>
>>58804345

>A GOOD DAP does one thing and one thing well. That thing is to play music.
And an iPod classic sounds like Ass. So it can't even do the one thing it's meant to do well, well.
>No. UI preference is undeniably subjective.
Except it literally is not. You may have a preference for how you operate a device, and your experience, but UI design and implementation is not art. It's a science based on no small amount of psychological and physiological research, tests, and evidence. It evolves and grows and bends as society advances and changes. One cannot "prefer" a UI more than one can "prefer" to hammer nails with one's eyelids, instead of with a hammer.
>Store a large amount of music to play with physical buttons for controlling the device
And it lacks any distinct physical controls for sight-free operation, and holds less than my phone, or DAP does.
>Pic related
That looks like a horrifically terrible idea, and I, myself, could not defend the decision of that person to do that in a court of law, even if my own head was at risk. I am not even kidding when I say that that is probably the most retarded thing I have seen someone with some modicum of intelligence do in a good few many years. If this were 2008, 2009, I'd perhaps see a reasoning to it. But once again, in an age of High-quality, los cost DAPs, ultra-high density removable solid-state storage, and smart phones, I could not fathom the shadow of an idea of why that is even a remotely good idea.
>>
>>58804416
>And an iPod classic sounds like Ass. So it can't even do the one thing it's meant to do well, well.
Sure thing bud
>Except it literally is not
But that's wrong, you fucking retard. Do you even know what an opinion is?
>And it lacks any distinct physical controls for sight-free operation
But that's blatantly false.
>and holds less than my phone
I'd love to hear about this mythical phone of yours that's capable of storing 1TB of music.
>That looks like a horrifically terrible idea
Yeah it's totally a bad idea to take the best DAP and make it even better.
>>
>>58804441
>Sure thing bud
I guess 16-bit audio good-enough through shitty ear-pods. But you might want something from the modern era capable of 24-bit audio if you upgrade your earbuds/headphones past the packed-in ones.
>But that's wrong, you fucking retard. Do you even know what an opinion is?
"Blue is an attractive color for a car" is an opinion. "I did not find 6-flags Houston to be fun." is an opinion. "This UI designed in 2001, based on concepts, ideas, and designs stemming from even older projects, and meant to make use of a limited resolution screen, lack of colors, and archaic input method is my favorite" is not an opinion. It's a disgusting and ugly element of your taste that needs to be dealt with.
>But that's blatantly false.
"Oh, let me just go ahead and lower this volume with my gloves on an-whoops"
"Well, I guess the really deep, well separated, and physically marked/raised buttons will allow me to find the controls I want an-whoops"
It's a glossy slate, with a touch-sensitive wheel, and unmarked buttons. It's about as "sight-free operation" friendly as my fucking phone.
>I'd love to hear about this mythical phone of yours that's capable of storing 1TB of music.
Well, since it's a -Phone- and not a offline only device, I have literal petabytes of music at my disposal. Beyond that, my Android Phone, with USB OTG, can "store" terabytes of music, on external flash drives, USB hard Drives, and WiFi enabled Portable Hard Drives. Oh, and access music across a local network.
>Yeah it's totally a bad idea to take the best DAP and make it even better.
It's pretty awful. Theres a reason Apple doesn't even offer it anymore.
>>
>>58804562
>ear-pods
You mean line-out to an amp to drive my real headphones?
>"Blue is an attractive color for a car" is an opinion. "I did not find 6-flags Houston to be fun." is an opinion. "This UI designed in 2001, based on concepts, ideas, and designs stemming from even older projects, and meant to make use of a limited resolution screen, lack of colors, and archaic input method is my favorite" is not an opinion. It's a disgusting and ugly element of your taste that needs to be dealt with.
You come up with as many retorts as you want, the bottom line is that it's an opinion.
>"Oh, let me just go ahead and lower this volume with my gloves on an-whoops"
Gloves have literally nothing to do with controlling the player without looking at it.
>"Well, I guess the really deep, well separated, and physically marked/raised buttons will allow me to find the controls I want an-whoops"
>It's a glossy slate, with a touch-sensitive wheel, and unmarked buttons. It's about as "sight-free operation" friendly as my fucking phone.
The buttons are literally placed 45º from each other around a circle. If you can't determine which button is which without looking at it, you've got bigger things to worry about.
>Well, since it's a -Phone- and not a offline only device
I'm just going to stop you right there. If you need Internet to listen to music, it's not a good DAP.
>Beyond that, my Android Phone, with USB OTG
you just use your phone faggots are always whiniong about carrying both a DAP and a phone and now you're advocating carrying both a phone and an external HDD? Jesus fucking christ.
>It's pretty awful
Not even remotely awful, you're just a complete moron.
>>
>>58804610

>You mean line-out to an amp to drive my real headphones?
Then I feel bad for your hearing, anon, if garbage 16-bit audio sounds good to you.
>You come up with as many retorts as you want, the bottom line is that it's an opinion.
And you can lie to yourself all you want, that doesn't make it a fact. Maybe an "alternative fact" or whatever that political meme is.
>Gloves have literally nothing to do with controlling the player without looking at it.
Except, a large number of places, people wear gloves for no-small part of the year. And people with jobs requiring it too, sometimes listen to music as well. Infact, wanting to operate your music with a gloved hand is a big part of wanting physical controls on a device, instead of using a touchscreen device.
>The buttons are literally placed 45º from each other around a circle. If you can't determine which button is which without looking at it, you've got bigger things to worry about.
And as you slide around to adjust volume, select folders and sounds, and more, you can easily lose your "place" in the wheel, and hit the wrong button.
>I'm just going to stop you right there. If you need Internet to listen to music, it's not a good DAP.
Sorry anon, some of us aren't stuck in 2003. We have devices that can stream a uncompressed audio file from the internet with no problem.
>you just use your phone faggots are always whiniong about carrying both a DAP and a phone and now you're advocating carrying both a phone and an external HDD? Jesus fucking christ.
You brought up phones. I advocated using a REAL DAP like a sony Hi-Res walkman.
>Not even remotely awful, you're just a complete moron
You have literally not given a single fact as to why it's not awful yet
>if you modify it, it holds 1TB of music!
is probably the weakest defense in existence for why an audio device is worth having.
>>
>>58804662
>Then I feel bad for your hearing, anon, if garbage 16-bit audio sounds good to you.
So sorry that I'm not a delusional audiophile
>And you can lie to yourself all you want, that doesn't make it a fact. Maybe an "alternative fact" or whatever that political meme is.
Like I said, come up with as many retorts as you want.
>Except, a large number of places, people wear gloves for no-small part of the year.
I'm well aware, I live in such an area. Whether you're looking at the iPod or not, you're going to have a bad time with gloves on. Like I said, this has nothing to do with controlling the player without seeing it.
>And as you slide around to adjust volume, select folders and sounds, and more, you can easily lose your "place" in the wheel, and hit the wrong button.
Not even remotely true. The player doesn't magically change orientation in your pocket. If it's in your hand, you know which button is which. Like I said before, if this is too complicated for you then you have bigger things to worry about.
>Sorry anon, some of us aren't stuck in 2003. We have devices that can stream a uncompressed audio file from the internet with no problem
Ebin. My phone is also capable of streaming, I simply find it silly to when I can just as easily carry everything on my person.
>You brought up phones. I advocated using a REAL DAP like a sony Hi-Res walkman.
You're the one that brought up phones, you fucking dumbass.
>You have literally not given a single fact as to why it's not awful yet
Your replies are everything I need to make such a statement.
>is probably the weakest defense in existence for why an audio device is worth having.
Why are you on /g/ if you're against upgrading your hardware? Even if the iPod was complete ass in all other aspects it'd be my favourite DAP merely for the fact that you can upgrade it with SD cards, SSDs, add Bluetooth, larger capacity batteries, etc. The fact that so many mods exist for such a simple and small device is great
>>
>>58804662
>>58804722
You're both morons.
>>
>>58804769
Sshhh
>>
>>58804769
You're mum
>>
>>58804722
>So sorry that I'm not a delusional audiophile
You're arguing about a dedicated DAP online. You're the literal definition of an audiophile, anon.
>Like I said, come up with as many retorts as you want.
And like I said, you can keep lieing to yourself all you want.
>Whether you're looking at the iPod or not, you're going to have a bad time with gloves on. Like I said, this has nothing to do with controlling the player without seeing it.
Except that has everything to do with it. I'm beginning to believe you have an actual mental handicap.
>The player doesn't magically change orientation in your pocket. If it's in your hand, you know which button is which.
And if it's not in your hand, what do you do then? I'd love to see this world where DAPs never leave a pocket.
>My phone is also capable of streaming, I simply find it silly to when I can just as easily carry everything on my person.
And I think it's silly to carry everything on your person. I don't stuff my wallet full of my earnings. I don't drive my house to the store. I don't see the point in carrying every piece of media in my pocket, when some of my media isn't even meant to be enjoyed out of the house, or on a digital device.
>You're the one that brought up phones.
And before that, I recommended a Sony Hi-Res Player.
>Your replies are everything I need to make such a statement.
Someone's replies are not your own argument.
>Even if the iPod was complete ass in all other aspects it'd be my favourite DAP merely for the fact that you can upgrade it with SD cards, SSDs, add Bluetooth, larger capacity batteries, etc. The fact that so many mods exist for such a simple and small device is great
It's a great -HOBBYIST- device. There you go, Anon. Just say that from the start. Problem solved.
>I like the iPod classic because it's very customizable and a great hobbyist device
It'd be like arguing that the RaspPI is the best Linux PC ever because there are a lot of shield options for it.
>>
What's a DAP? Dedicated Audio Player?
>>
>>58804818
>You're arguing about a dedicated DAP online. You're the literal definition of an audiophile, anon.
Nope
>Except that has everything to do with it
How fucking retarded are you?
>And if it's not in your hand, what do you do then?
Grab it so it is in my hand?
>I'd love to see this world where DAPs never leave a pocket.
Mine literally never does except for the rare occasion I search for a specific song.
>And I think it's silly to carry everything on your person
And I think it's silly to need the Internet to play music.
>And before that, I recommended a Sony Hi-Res Player.
Regardless you're the one advocating phones.
>Someone's replies are not your own argument.
I never claimed such a thing, I was saying that your replies are proof of your retardation. Please do go on about how it's awful to upgrade a spinning disk in a portable device to a higher capacity solid state device.
>It's a great -HOBBYIST- device. There you go, Anon. Just say that from the start. Problem solved.
Nah
>It'd be like arguing that the RaspPI is the best Linux PC ever because there are a lot of shield options for it.
Nah
>>
>>58804865

Yes. Or, Digital Audio Player.
>>
>>58804871
aight cool thanks.
so i don't know shit about DAPs since i just use my phone, but the idea of a heavily modded ipod classic with SSD and sounds dope. Not really practical but a fun thing to toy around with. keeping the cool hardware controls but getting rid of legacy shit like HDDs and iTunes.
i just remembered when zune tried to become a thing, like ten years ago. remember that blunder?
>>
>>58804936

Zune failed because of marketing, and crappy software. The hardware was actually pretty attractive, and the Zune HD was a pretty cool device, actually. Great screen for it's age, UI was very nice and forward thinking for it's time, and the audio was light-years ahead of what Apple offers, even today.
If you're looking to play around with a hobbyist device like the iPod classic, pick up a "Classic" from ebay/craigslist that someone is getting rid of, and take a look at some of the modding guides online. If you've got the time and money, they're pretty neat projects, with rockbox running on them for better audio-playback options.
>>
>>58804970
cool stuff man! i probably won't pick up a classic any time soon because my phone works well enough, but I'll check that stuff out if I'm ever given an one for free or something. yeah wasnt the zune also garbage on the software front but had pretty good hardware? ten years go by quickly, man.
>>
Walkman doesn't have this problem
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.