[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 36

File: freedom intensifies.jpg (74KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
freedom intensifies.jpg
74KB, 500x332px
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Get freedom respecting computers:
https://www.gnu.org/links/companies.html

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: >>>/t/749768#
Part I: http://archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
>>>/t/713097

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part IV: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6828207/
Part III: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6785580/
Part II: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Previous Thread: >>58767265
>>
File: 1485647613265.png (27KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485647613265.png
27KB, 602x500px
First for Gentoo
>>
>>58774734
Should we put the Wallpapers, Games and Videos into the copypasta collection?
>>
>>58774748
I want to say something snarky, but I just can't. Gentoo is a bangin' OS and you have good taste
>>
Is there a difference between home-rw and casper-rw?
>>
Good thread.
>>
Anyone using GNomE on non-scaled 4k resolution?
I'm thinking about getting a large 4K monitor. But I have bad experiences with xserver and multi monitor setups. I have to enable tearfree on amdgpu, and it feels like it's stuttering more than usual. I don't know if it's because of multi monitor, or the large resolution the card has to drive (I have RX480).
If anyone has experiences with running GnOme on large resolutions I would be very happy to hear about your experiences.
>>
>>58775713
Good post.
>>
Are there any package managers that actually delete the fucking config files? I find them very annoying.

Why doesn't pacman or apt do this automatically? And how come when I use the --purge flag it doesn't actually do what it explicitly says it will do (remove the config files).

I'm a scrub, pls help
>>
>>58776412

Every package manager does that. Pacman does it, apt does as well.
>>
Have a laptop coming my way so I can format and install shit on it and return to its owner.

How can I restore deleted pics or videos on the drive on that laptop on loonix? Is photorec the only reliable solution?
>>
>>58776412
They say they do it, but most of the time they don't actually delete the config files. Try it yourself.
>>
>>58776671

They delete the global config files they installed. They remove every file that they installed.
They won't touch your user's config files in your home folder, because the package manager doesn't keep track of those. A package manager should not touch anything in your home directory.
>>
Is there a nice utility for making webm's and gif's out of mkv files, I know you can use ffmpeg, but is there like a front end for this to make it more user friendly?
>>
File: 1453145847778.gif (3KB, 102x136px) Image search: [Google]
1453145847778.gif
3KB, 102x136px
what is your favorite package manager and why
>>
>>58776813
ffmpeg -i top.mkv kek.gif
>>
>>58776848
apt because freedoms
>>
>>58776848
protage
>>
>>58776859

What if you want only part of the file and it to have no sound so you can upload to 4chan etc.

I've read the man page and tried -ss -t etc. but just fug it up.
>>
>>58776919
>no sound
-an
>start from second 1 and 50 ms, run for 5 minutes
-ss 00:00:01.50 -t 00:05:00.00
>webm
-c:v libvpx
>>
>>58776704
Ah okay, thanks. Is there any way to clear the user config files for uninstalled packages with the package manager or a 3rd party software?
>>
>>58776940

No, your package manager doesn't track those files, therefore it cannot remove them.
Only a fool would allow 3rd party automated programs to mess with their home directory. Delete it manually if it bothers you. It's all either in .config or directly in your home directory, with a few files in .local.
>>
What's the easiest way of doing that GPU passthrough thingie? My hardware is compatible, I'm wondering if using an SSD would improve things substantially.
>>
Why are there so many transsexuals in the GNU/Linux world?
>>
>>58777227
>I'm wondering if using an SSD would improve things substantially.

No.... do you even know what passthrough is?
>>
I just ran my first hellow world clisp program. Am I ready for Emacs now?
>>
>>58777252
Yes, what I mean is mostly boot times for that virtual machine. I would feel stupid if it was faster to dual boot than to run that VM.
>>
>>58774786
Yes
>>
File: Steele1.jpg (482KB, 660x900px) Image search: [Google]
Steele1.jpg
482KB, 660x900px
BEST PDF READER?

* Will be used for taking A LOT of EXTENSIVE notes
* Most be stream-lined and efficient.
>>
>>58777285
>Yes, what I mean is mostly boot times for that virtual machine
Well, in that case, yes. An SSD would help.
>>
>>58776848
rpm/dnf is my favourite.

Unfortunately can't use it on debian.
>>
I'm gonna bring back my question from the end of last thread:
Is there a "best configuration" for iptables to use on ubuntu? I don't wanna any sneakers poking at my backdoor.
>>
>>58777802
I'm retarded, pardon.

sudo ufw default deny incoming

sudo ufw default accept outgoing

which should be the default.
for a server do the same but open the ports/port range/services you need.
>>
GNU is obsolete and harmful. Nothing depends on it at this point.
>>
Does linux support BD optic drives naively?
Or do you need specific drivers?
>>
>>58778572
Optic drives have their own controller that handles this.

the controller reports it's capabilities (at least should) to the operating system.

for the OS it's irrelevant, it just supplies the data in a proper format digestible by the controller.

Yes they do.
>>
>>58776848
dnf is comfy. Human readable formats too unlike the clusterfuck of package names that apt provides you with.
>>
window managers like i3 are just the bare minimum to run a system that's not just one terminal screen right? If i want say a easy to use networking tool to use rather than having to manually enter it all in I have ot install that on the side, same for things like volume control and whatnot?
>>
>>58778583
Thanks.
>>
>>58778794
Yes it won't come with any programs to set up that sort of thing like a DE would.
>>
>>58776813

ffmpeg -y -ss 0 -t 10 -i input.mp4 \
-vf fps=24,scale=500:-1:flags=lanczos,palettegen palette.png

ffmpeg -ss 0 -t 10 -i input.mp4 -i palette.png -filter_complex \
"fps=24,scale=500:-1:flags=lanczos[x];[x][1:v]paletteuse" output.gif

First pass gets you the palette, second pass makes the gif. -ss is the start time and -t is the duration in second. It's easier this way because likely any gif you make for 4chan will only be seconds long. you can adjust the fps if you source has a higher framerate and the scale to make it bigger or smaller. I'm sure there is a better way to do it to target a specific filesize but I haven't looked too far into it.
>>
>>58778832
so if I plan on having a bunch of tools anyway like a graphical filemanager, networking, volume, bluetooth, power management is there really any point in using a WM?
>>
>>58776813
avanti
ffmpeg yag
qwinff
dmmediaconverter
>>
>>58778858
you are confusing "window manager" with "desktop environment". Some window managers are part of an entire desktop environment (for example kwin is the window manger of kde's plasma desktop), other are standalone and will come with little extra.
So yeah, it's generally more convenient to just install an entire desktop environment group unless you want to manually pick your preferred tool for every single operation.
>>
>>58778934
I understand what they are I was wondering if there was any point in just using a WM if I'm going to essentially install a DE's worth of shit ontop of it.
>>
>>58779041
oh, then no. Usually people do that because they really like a particular WM or just want to build a "minimalist system" by avoiding the big number of dependencies that comes with a full DE.
>>
Looking for a dead-simple waveform generator that would play through speakers.

I'm not talking about creating music or anything, just type of waveform (sin, square, triangle) and frequency.
>>
>>58779094
sample this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHIGke6Yzh8
>>
>>58779094
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/jj/linux/siggen.html
>>
>>58779185
well, that works. thanks.
Too bad it's OSS and locks your sound completely, lol.

Maybe my first programming project will be to port this stuff to pulseaudio.
>>
>>58779094
>>58779231

Use Audacity.
>>
>>58779342
You're completely right. I completely forgot I had this tool.
>>
File: Cc3A5mtUAAAYf4H.jpg (32KB, 500x558px) Image search: [Google]
Cc3A5mtUAAAYf4H.jpg
32KB, 500x558px
# ln -s mount monut
# ln -s umount umonut

mfw
>>
>>58779663
use alias
>>
Is there a better terminal mpd client than ncmpcpp? I'm looking for album art support
>>
>>58779677
aliases would have to be set for each user and they wouldn't work with sudo
>>
>>58779686
>graphical doodads in a terminal application
stop
Just download GMPC or other gtk/qt client.
>>
>>58779663
what does that do?
>>
What DE do you guys use?
What about file manager?
And Window Manager?

>xfce
>dolphin
>no wm
>>
>>58776412
pacman generates a pacnew file if conf files have been editted. It's up to admin to merge in updates manually.
internet://archwiki/pacnew
If there's a specific conf file you want left alone, why not just add a # to it somewhere?
>>
>>58779791
if you run it in /bin (or /usr/bin, if you use a retarded distro like Arsch), it creates a symbolic link to the mount and umount commands called monut and umonut, which are my two most common typos.
>>
>>58779736
gno
>>
What's a fast builtin non-forking way to get a random element from an associative array in Bash?
>>
>>58779914
but why? doesnt that still keep the commands the same?
>>
>>58780019
Yes, but now I can run mount either by typing "mount" or by typing "monut", which I do about 1 out of 4 times when I try to mount something.
>>
>>58780104
maybe I am missing something but why you can't just type mount to mount something otherwise?
>>
>>58779815
>>no wm
you're using xfwm4

How's dolpin in a gtk environment?
It doesn't interact well with the rest of gnome environments now does it?
>>
>>58780140
god, I somehow completely missed the typo and was reading "mount" and "monut" like the same word, scrap that
>>
>>58780140
Because 1 out of 4 times, when I try to type mount or umount I end up typing monut or umonut because my fingers move too fast and then I have to redo the whole command line, which can take anywhere between 3 and 10 seconds
>>
>>58780162
I don't really know what you refer to. I use file manager for casual stuff and sorting out files, so Dolphin does it for me perfectly.
>>
>>58780179
I recommend gtypist anon.
Taught me to touchtype pretty well.
>>
>>58780186
I'm talking about mounting remote locations, allowing non-networking applications to be network aware (like file viewers and media players) and all this stuff.
>>
>>58779726
It's possible to set global aliases and there are workarounds to make aliases works with sudo like:
alias sudo='sudo '
>>
>>58780192
I'm great at touch typing, I'm just horrible at having letters in the correct order. This is an issue when I handwrite as well. My hands move faster than my brain sometimes.

>>58780207
why do you need a bloated graphical program to mount remote locations, and what does "network aware" even mean? once you mount something to your filesystem, any application is aware of it? isn't that the whole point of a unified file tree?
>>
File: JMknX9g.png (777KB, 994x800px) Image search: [Google]
JMknX9g.png
777KB, 994x800px
>>58776848
Sourcery.

Install new software
# cast <spell 1> <spell 2> <spell 3> ... <spell N>

Remove unwanted software
dispel <spell>

Search by pattern
gaze search <pattern>

Add repository
scribe add <grimoire>
>>
>>58780249
>and what does "network aware" even mean? once you mount something to your filesystem, any application is aware of it?
In gnome (xfce in my scenario) if you don't have proper gvfs plugin, trying to open a file from a mounted remote location will result in the application launching, but not opening the remote location of the file.
>>
>>58780223
ignoring the fact that you're aliasing something to itself, why would you insert an extra space?

>>58780278
idk man. i haven't used graphical file managers in ages. mc and ranger never do this, nor does actually opening something from the command line. maybe you should look into switching over to console-based applications. it really is a better way to live.
>>
>>58780306
>you should look into switching over to console-based applications. it really is a better way to live.
mc and ranger are not tui applications. So it's just like using a GUI file manager but slower and without mouse input. So lmao
>>
>>58777482
The three bigs are Okular, Evince and Zathura. From full featured to minimalistic.

You can try them yourself.
>>
>>58780356
You forgot atril, which is the fork of Evince from when it was still gtk2
>>
File: man bash.png (41KB, 626x328px) Image search: [Google]
man bash.png
41KB, 626x328px
>>58780306
>ignoring the fact that you're aliasing something to itself, why would you insert an extra space?
no, I am telling bash to try to expand the command next to sudo.
>>
>>58779815
No DE
Ranger
Ratpoison
>>
>>58780326
>without mouse input
sounds like you've never used either...
you can use mc and ranger (with mouse input) over ssh if you want/need to

>tui application
???
>>
>>58780365
thanks, did not know that
guess I'll go ahead and throw a script into /etc/profile.d/ then. maybe include a bunch of other common typos. thanks friend.
>>
>>58780326
>slower
M-c [typing a path]
or
:cd [typing a path]

vs.
>locating a word on a screen
>moving your mouse to it
>double-clicking
>repeat for each level you have to traverse
you're not actually being serious, right?
>>
How can I edit Thunar's theme
>>
>>58780513
change gtk theme
>>
>>58780487
yeah cool
it all politely falls apart as soon as you have to use removable storage and remote file server over smb, sshfs or copying image files selected by their thumbnails

graphical file managers exist for a reason.
For copying large folders and regexp selection I have the commandline already installed.
>>
>>58780561
>removable storage
once you mount it, it becomes part of the file tree
>smb
>sshfs
>selecting images based on thumbnails
ranger does image previews, text previews, pdf previews, html previews OOTB and you can write or download preview scripts for any file type
>>
Plasma 5.9 reintroduced global menus but apparently it doesn't work for gtk applications. Is there a workaround, maybe at least for firefox?
>>
>>58780516
Err. I found where to change GTK theme, but I can't find where to define panel colors for Thunar..
>>
>>58780755
wouldn't they be the same panel colors for all other GTK apps?
>>
best image browser/manager?
>>
>>58774734
Just found out vim can encrypt files, anyone who uses vim open it right now and do :help cryptmethod and :help X
>>
Since I am really getting tired of Windows 10 and I need a good replacement for it which wouldn't have an annoying interface with my 3 monitor setup, any suggestions for an OS that would fit general and multimedia use without any intent on running games on this i3 machine. Can someone recommend a sleek distro?
>>
File: 1483501477672.jpg (20KB, 226x225px) Image search: [Google]
1483501477672.jpg
20KB, 226x225px
Figured I'd ask another time before I call it quits.

I recently installed Manjaro over an existing Manjaro installation. I told it to send the MBR to sda, which was my Ntfs terabyte. I reboot only to find all my data gone. Somebody suggested that it was my partition table, so I set testdisk on it and restored a partition table of the past and fixed nothing.

SO, is there any hope for this? I'm just going to set photorec on it when I get home, since it doesn't seem to have any trouble finding the files. It's just a tad frustrating is all. I kind of just want to know what I did to fuck up, I didn't realize that wiped the drive since I recall doing similar in the past. (been a long ass time since I had to reinstall)
>>
>>58780755
You can do it manually via .gtkrc-2.0 or use software to change/preview it.

If you're using a standalone WM I recommend lxappearance, it doesn't have many dependencies.
Otherwise (in a full DE) you should already have software to change it.
>>
>>58780919
well that's weird, anyway you just lost the partition table so didn't wipe your disk and your data is still there. It's also strange that testdisk failed in recovering the partition table, do you have ntfsprogs installed?
>>
>>58780993
Unsure, I've been doing this from a live CD because Windows decided to be a shit and "is in an unsafe state :^)" which is INSANELY frustrating. I feel like I have to turn this shit off every boot. I'll have to check when I get home later.

It doesn't seem to have any issue restoring the partition table itself that I belief was lost (it only finds one other ntfs table on deep scan, and restoring it doesn't seem to help) I accidentally wrote a folder to it before I realized what had happened, but I don't know if an empty folder would do damage.

ANOTHER interesting tidbit is that when I let it install the MBR to the main ssd, grub shits itself and can't boot. Maybe I should take this as a sign I should just jump to UEFI
>>
>>58780851
how is your graphics card setup? do you have 1 or 2? is it a laptop?
>>
>>58781468
It's a desktop PC with a Radeon GPU
>>
Using Intel 4600 HD on Ubuntu 16.10

How the shit does one enable vsync
>>
>>58781468
Only one gpu
>>
>>58781478
>>58781497
How familiar are you with Linux in general? If only slightly I would recommend Ubuntu. It should do what you want and three screens on 1 gpu shouldnt be a problem in Ubuntu. When you get into laptops with an internal and discreet graphics card, it can be tricky.
>>
>>58778842

Cheers, saved for later use.
>>
>>58781538
GNU/Linux*
>>
If I use
>mpv <youtubelink>
to stream a video or audio to MPV and play it thru MPV

I cant resize the window size. Normal behavior?
>>
>>58781787
Dont push your politics on me pal.
>>
>>58781817
Nope, not normal.
You should be able to resize your windows however you like
>>
>>58776813
According to ffmpeg documentation vp8 webms benifit from 2 pass encoding in terms of both quality and output filesize control.
>filesize a bit of math required
http://wiki.webmproject.org/ffmpeg
>ffmpeg links at near top of page.
>>
File: working.jpg (310KB, 713x820px) Image search: [Google]
working.jpg
310KB, 713x820px
>>58781831
Got it working.

Is there a way to see the content of the playlist when I'm playing a Youtube playlist with youtube-dl+mpv
>>
>>58781927
You can bind some keys to make them show:
c show_text "${chapter-list}"
p show_text "${playlist}"
t show_text "${track-list}"
>>
>>58781958
that's cool, thank you anon
>>
>>58774734
It's that time of year again.
What is some libre (more importantly available on gentoo) tax software?
>>
Yesterday I installed Ubuntu and my mom called me a fag so I Uninstalled. Anyone else know that feel?
>>
File: tears.jpg (34KB, 957x541px) Image search: [Google]
tears.jpg
34KB, 957x541px
>>58782103
i remember when I was in high school I was experimenting with linux and my mom saw the ubuntu loading screen.

She laughed and said what a stupid name
>>
>>58782138
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58781482
Anyone? I did everything. I enabled tearfree, I purged them drivers, used the intel driver updater, this some bullshit. I always heard intel drivers on linux were the best. Youtube videos be tearing like a motherfucker.
>>
>>58774734
>>
>>58782194
that's an X issue (one of the hundreds reasons we are trying to get rid of it). You have to install and/or configure your compositor to avoid tearing. What DE are you using?
>>
>>58782298
Unity.
>>
On the topic of Wayland, how would I go about testing it? Does it really boast that many improvements?

I've never in my life had an X problem in all my years of loonix so it's a bit hard to sympathize
>>
I happen to check my uptime and see that 3 users are logged in. Is this normal?

It appears two of them are on pseudoterminals. Is someone penetrating me with SSH or something? How do I kick them off.
>>
>>58782380
nvm im just gnu

I still would like to know the best way to check if there are any strange connections to my machine.

thanks
>>
What screenshot package do I install or does it not matter? I'm on Manjaro using XFCE environment. The familiar ones I see are Cinnamon and GNOME but wasn't sure if that package is exclusive to those environments.
>>
>>58782413
$ import screenshot.png
>>
>>58782307
Then the compositor should be compiz, follow those steps:
http://www.howtoeverything.net/linux/issues/finally-no-more-tearing-anywhere-mate-desktop-and-compiz
>>
File: screenshot.png (91KB, 1030x521px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
91KB, 1030x521px
>>58782439
Wow, thanks a lot
>>
>>58782446
only the third step actually
>>
>>58782469
"-window root" will shoot the whole screen

Try this for some shadow effects:

import -quality 100 -frame -screen png:- | convert png:- \( +clone -background '#000000' -shadow '80x20+0+0' \) +swap -background transparent -layers merge +repage scrot.png

Possibilities are endless here.
>>
>>58782472
Nah, didn't fix it. I had one of the workarounds disabled, but turned it on and after restarting it didn't do a thing.
>>
>>58782413
>>58782469
import is part of the ImageMagick suite, a very powerful CLI image creation and manipulation tool with libraries in many scripting languages. you can use it to easily, for example, batch crop/resize/convert large groups of files, combine individual images into animated GIFs or montages, generate your own captchas, generate thumbnails for a web app, etc.
>>
>>58782573
>shadow effect
everyone will think he's a macfag
>>
>>58782599
http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/
>>
File: 1484579971516.gif (781KB, 592x150px) Image search: [Google]
1484579971516.gif
781KB, 592x150px
>>58782599
I fucking love ImageMagick.
>>
>>58782579
can you confirm tearfree is enabled in xorg's logs? they should be in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or .local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
>>
How do Gentoo & Arch differ from pleb distros like Ubuntu.
>>
>>58782573
>>58782599
This is so convenient. Why doesn't everypne use linux?
>>
>>58782793
they don't in the sense that they're all memes
and they don't in the sense that they're all retarded, albeit in different ways
but of the three, i'd say gentoo is the least retarded
>>
>>58782793
gnu/street cred and epenis size.
>>
>>58782813
Thought the same thing when I found out about ffmpeg.
I remember when I was a windowsfag I would have to search for random 3rd party applications for converting between different media formats. Almost made me think there was something extremely difficult about the whole process.
and in the end you find some shitty GUI programs that produce low quality conversions and come with all kinds of malware.
>>
>>58782813
ImageMagick has official binaries for Windows and FagOS. You can write ImageMagick scripts on Windows using Perl or PHP or Python or (probably?) PowerShell. Doesn't mean you should use Windows or FagOS, but if you have to you can still have that goodness.
>>
>>58782813
>Why doesn't everypne use linux?
99% idiots.
1% of people tied to Windows-only enviroment/software
>>
There's also SoX, which is ImageMagick for audio files.
>>
>>58782813
For what concern image editing and processing, linux lack support from certain well known professional software (photoshop, various digital painting software and much other stuff).
>>
>>58782813
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58782710
That was it.

I removed that config file before (the one with tearfree, accelmethod, etc). Both tearfree and force full screen redraws in compiz must be enabled. many thanks.
>>
Hey guys, need help deciding with distro to move to from arch. Looking for moderate stability and decent packages.
Debian? Ubuntu?
>>
>>58783268
gen2
>>
>>58783268
Manjaro is nice
>>
>>58783268
if you've managed arch, might as well kick it a notch higher and install gentoo
>>
>>58777277
depends on your number of arms, the number of fingers and their flexibility
>>
>>58783268
Mint > ubuntu > debian/EOF
>>
So since I'm basically wiping out every system on my PC unless I figure out how to recover this data proper, should I just get with the times and install UEFI?
>>
>>58783813
>UEFI
botnet
>>
>>58783813
>UEFI
Why tho?
>>
>>58783827
>>58783850
It just seems that UEFI is coming and no getting away from it with new hardware giving legacy the cold shoulder

I'm not really hurting or anything, but I don't want to wind up in a position one day where I'm stuck with UEFI and have no experience with it
>>
What happens if you delete the /usr/bin/passwd binary file?
>>
File: DSC_0096.jpg (1MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0096.jpg
1MB, 4128x3096px
Sup /fglt/? i bought this 7" ARMv5 netbook. i was the poster asking about ARMv4 a few days ago.
Found a debian lenny stage3 setup for the book but its 7 years old.
So i'm climbing through updates ,luckily debian archives their repos.
plan is to go: lenny>squeeze>wheezy>Jessie

But im wondering if it'll turn into a shitshow after squeeze?
>>
I've used bash my whole life. Why would you want to use anything else? What features do the other shells have?
>>
>>58784037
you can't change users password I suppose
>>
>>58784064
Only stupid and useless features. Stick with bash.
>>
>>58784063
why don't you just install everything from scratch?
>>
>>58784105
Primarily i cant grasp the witchcraft that the system uses to boot.
I've learned it uses a uImage instead of normal vmlinuz or initramfs. But i keep scratching my head at the uzImage.bin file that boots from.
Theres no build documentation either, just prebuilt guides using the lenny stage3 .err its not an actual stage3, a copy of someone's install
>>
File: 3tpo8osxqucy.jpg (66KB, 484x682px) Image search: [Google]
3tpo8osxqucy.jpg
66KB, 484x682px
How do you deal with your fonts? What version of freetype do you use? Which of conf.avail files do you enable? Infinality (y|n)?
I currently on fedora 25/freetype-2.7.1 from rawhide and font rendering here is so terrible that makes me want to unironically kill myself.
When I used gentoo, it was much easier: just enable use flag and mess up with eselect for a while. It was perfect. But in fedora it is pain.
I do not want to go blind at the thirty yo. Pls halp.
>>
>>58784287
I've lost track of the number of """solutions""" I've thrown at font rendering (f24 btw.)

freetype-freeworld, fonts.conf, .Xresources, you name it, i3bar fonts still look complete shit.
>>
>>58784063
Nevermind. broke after rebooting into squeeze.
one way or another, gentoo here i come!
>>
>>58784368
It's sad. I don't want to leave it in favor of stupid clusterfuked *buntu just because one little flaw. Everything else is just as it should be in modern gnulinux distro.
Fuck.
>>
Can anyone link a working guide for that GPU passthrough with VM thingy?

I want to play some games but don't want to dual boot
>>
I'm on antergos and I'm trying to remove transmission-qt, but pacman says that it can't be removed because it breaks itself. What do I do to remove it?
>>
>>58774734

Is there any way to make Linux mint install kernel updates when apt-get dist-upgrade is run?

This is the behavior in Ubuntu, but in Mint if you want to install kernel updates you have to use mint update manager.
>>
>>58784432
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

>>58784472
wut? can you post the error?
>>
>>58784472
Post terminal output.
>>
>>58784530
google-no-jutsu:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=224968
>>
>>58784530
kernel updates are blocked so the distro doesn't fall apart, get rid of mint buddy
>>
>>58784530
Why do you want to update it, does it make problems?
>>
>>58784613

I'm too lazy to install ubuntu minimal on my mom's latpop desu

>>58784608

Thanks
>>
>>58784472
read the error output
>>
>>58784608
>using google
>>
>>58784561
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: antergos-kde-setup: removing transmission-qt breaks dependency 'transmission-qt'
>>
>>58784689
it's "antergos-kde-setup" that depends on transmission-qt
>>
>>58784730
I see. So removing transmission is a no go, right?
>>
>>58784689
pacman -Rsc transmission-qt
>>
>>58784755
Thank you
>>
>>58784755
Just try not to remove half of the system with it okay
>>
>>58784746
I suppose that antergos-kde-setup is a metapackage for a complete install of kde, you can check if you distro offers a more lightweight alternative or simply make a modified version of said package that doesn't depends on transmission
>>
>>58784608
>>58784613

If you want to update to a new kernel version. i.e 4.8
You still get kernel patches if you use the LTS (4.4) kernel in mint.
You can manually get the latest debs from ubuntu mainline website if you want.
>>
Where can I find good documentation on how to customize BSPWM? I don't want anything extreme but I want to understand what I am doing and not just rip someones dotfiles.
>>
File: google.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
google.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>58785284
>>
>>58785382
I tried google. I got one one vid on youtube and the wiki which only explains installation.
>>
>>58785382
botnet
>>
>>58785558
Every search engine is a botnet
>>
>>58785595
not duckduckgo or earthlink they actually care about my privacy and anonymity
>>
File: ddg.png (3MB, 1701x8000px) Image search: [Google]
ddg.png
3MB, 1701x8000px
>>58785638
>ddg
KEK

>actually care
They care enough to send your information to a third party for money
>>
How do I change the background for the login-screen on Gnome? It feels like it should be stupidly simple but I can't find a way that works.
>>
>>58785654
holy shit i didn't know. Time to kick it up 3 notches, boot and run Tails on all computers, encrypt everything, burn my cell phone
>>
>>58785728
not sarcasm by the way
>>
File: IMG_20170204_123554.jpg (2MB, 5952x3348px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170204_123554.jpg
2MB, 5952x3348px
>>58774734
I deleted my boot partition accidentally. What do I do
>>
>>58785801
Using Fedora 25. Went to my only drive and deleted two partitions. A boot partition and not sure about the other
>>
>>58785801
install boot loader
reint initramfs
reboot
>>
>>58785822
How do I do this? Just boot into Fedora live and do some thingy majiggy
>>
>>58785801
boot from live image. chroot in. gdisk and make a new boot partition. find example boot partition and copy files to yours.
>>
>>58785832
You boot a livecd and do what i said to do retard
>>
>>58785857
really rude?!
>>
File: deception.png (15KB, 192x100px) Image search: [Google]
deception.png
15KB, 192x100px
>>58785595
This can't be true, there's got to be some advanced computer hobbyists/practitioners that manage a search engine which makes your anonymity its priority.
>>
>>58785906
And what do you expect from it?
Its going to have shitty crawlers and no results.
>>
File: 1466078514633.png (25KB, 656x620px) Image search: [Google]
1466078514633.png
25KB, 656x620px
>>58785857
>retard
Oh you just had to add that didn't you.
If you wanna be an idiot while trying to help someone. Try >>>/vg/
>>
>>58785595
not Searx
>>
File: 1462815261893.png (58KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1462815261893.png
58KB, 1366x768px
>>58786071
my nigga
literally google minus crap
>>
>>58786071
>>58786120
well, searx has the average that the source is actually available and you can fork it, but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't more secure (by logic) than any other webservice that promises something, because nobody knows if the code on the server is actually the same

that said, I'm using searx too, because its features
>>
>>58786200
>ddg; provides tor service
>searx: provides tor service
>google: part of NSA surveillence program PRISM
Still more security than normie Google.
>>
>>58785284
I don't use BSPWM, but you can always rip someone's dotfile, start playing with it. Also it looks like it comes with a pretty long and comprehensive man page.
>>
I'm running linux and I want something like truecrypt that allows me to create encrypted volumes.

Is there anything that works?

As far as I know truecrypt doesn't run on linux
>>
>>58786521
vercrypt
>>
>>58786521
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: shot0001.jpg (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shot0001.jpg
223KB, 1920x1080px
Remember kids, never trust proprietary AI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaxZgsdh-ac
>>
>>58786647
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>58786647
>>58786702
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
>>
>>58786702
>>58786712
hb u succ muh thicc dicc pucci boi
>>
>>58786120
I need that dark theme
>>
File: IMG_20170204_143845.jpg (2MB, 5952x3348px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170204_143845.jpg
2MB, 5952x3348px
Trying to boot with bootable media. Keep getting this error
>>
>>58787063
Corrupt image
reburn
>>
anyone use something like huginn? I want to autistically manage and sort lots of shit from websites but my current rss filtering system isn't really cutting it. At the same time though this looks like it'll use lots of ram.
>>
File: IMG_20170204_145958.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170204_145958.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Turns out i deleted everything

Please kill me
>>
Alternatives to dmenu? bspwm & slack is what I'm using.
>>
>>58787391
well i'm running arch
>>
What are some packages in manjaro I can do away with permanently? trying to get rid of this bloat. There's no way it should be using 40% of my 4GB of RAM
>>
>>58787434
window manager
>>
>>58787434
linuxatemyram.com
Stop thinking like a winfag
>>
>>58786883
Sorry anon, that's an older screenshot, searx recently changed the src and that sadly broke my theme, but check out the userstyles website, there are lots of simliar dark themes.
>>
>>58787391
vanilla dmenu sucks ass
either get dmenu2, or if you want the full feature bloat, get rofi
>>
>>58787434
linux works different than windows anon, linux holds stuff in your ram and when space for new stuff is needed, it cleans up things and figures out what to drop and what to keep
that way it can use your ram more efficient

tl;dr a high ram usage means that your shill will load fast
>>
>>58787590
>shill
I meant shit
holy crap, my whole post ist dildos
>>
>>58787490
>>58787590
Good to know, thanks!
>>
>>58787434
ps auxk-%mem | head
>>
>>58787684
is there no end to the possibility of these commands? christ.
>>
Currently trying to set up BolehVPN using openvpn. Howver it won't let me select my certs and keys.
>already did chmod 600 as per Boleh's instructions
>still won't let me select the files in Network Manager
wat do /g/ pls help
>>
File: big eats.jpg (62KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
big eats.jpg
62KB, 437x437px
>>58774734
Can you install Windows from your Linux system?

I'm at my fucking ends here trying to get Windows 7 installed. "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log " no matter what I've done. Tried every trick I can find and nothing.

I'm so fucking frustrated right now
>>
>>58787863
wipe everything and partition from the ground up
>>
>>58788047
Did that. Tried doing it from installer, from command prompt, and from a live CD. Wants no part of any of it.

I'm trying making a new boot media via unetbootin instead of Rufus on the off chance that's the problem.
>>
>>58788087
BIOS or UEFI
MBR or GPT Partition scheme?
>>
>>58788152
Bios, MBR (Drive has been wiped clean, but it tossed that error to all drives and partitions)

SO unless both of my USB devices are borked (Kingston, SD card I have lying around) something is weird. I had to wipe the drive because it wasn't able to be repaired by windows 10,but it was also in that hybrid mode windows likes to keep turning back on. I wonder if that had something to do with it
>>
Hey, I've been trying to install Manjaro but it stalls after booting from the installation USB.
I get to the splash screen, choose to boot with either non-free or free drivers with the same result: a blinking cursor and black screen.
I think I know the problem, having a 1050 Ti and the stable manjaro build being 16.10, built last year, because Nouveau or Nvidia drivers were updated for the 1050 Ti and added to the installation files. So the installation media doesn't even get past the boot splash and flashing cursor with black screen.

So how can I install Manjaro? I know I can just install arch but I wanted a pre-done KDE experience because I've always hated KDE and heard good things about Manjaro. I know I could just install Arch or Antergos. But in this scenario, when the packages required are in the rolling-release, but not that latest install build, what can I do?
>>
>>58788254
That distro currently does not have drivers for that card included, thats why your getting that.

Use integrated graphics, do an install. From there, install the bianary driver from Nvidia.
>>
>>58788254
Yeah, that's what I was saying. But I don't have integrated graphics.
>>
>>58788445
Whats your specs?

Google boot flags, specifically nomodeset.
>>
File: 1479275202556.jpg (147KB, 1039x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1479275202556.jpg
147KB, 1039x1024px
>>58788473
Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.
>>
>>58788496
sry richard
>>
>>58788496
What are his opinions on Gentoo?
>>
>>58788504
https://www.stallman.org/cgi-bin/showpage.cgi?path=/to-4chan.html&term=Gentoo&type=norm&case=0
>>
>>58788504
Cancerous distro teaching it's users how to suck proprietary dick like Skype and related crap. Gentoo is a nice distribution when you create it on your own, but stay away from it's wiki.
>>
>>58788536
lol, gentoo is what you make out of it
it doesnt shill skype, wtf are you about
>>
>>58788496
Richard Stallman is probably the biggest thing holding Linux back overall.
>>
File: 1463718964941.png (185KB, 298x360px) Image search: [Google]
1463718964941.png
185KB, 298x360px
>>58788528
>I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.
Senpai noticed us
>>
My professor said GNU today but only in relation to GCC. He said also Linux without saying GNU/Linux or GNU + Linux. I was disappointed.
>>
>>58788586
Did you stand up and correct him?
>>
>>58788562
Linux is cancer. I can't await the day when an alternative kernel comes around that takes free dom seriously.
>>
>>58788640
Linux is the only option then. There are open source distros so you can make it what you want it to be. It also has a widespread community so you've got support in almost every nook and cranny you can find.
>>
>>58788685
GNU/Linux, excuse me.
>>
>>58788562
>holding back
from what? being the next proprietary convenient normie kernel? it already is, nowadays you need to deblob linux in order to have actual freedom because it's so much more convenient just to drop a blob into the kernel instead of doing some work in reverse engeneering like in the beginning 91-93 where linux was actually good. Meanwhile the linux foundation is shilling linux as the free software "Revolution", claiming the four freedoms https://www.linux.com/what-is-linux on it, (ignoring GNU completly) and brainwashes people on "Open Source" claiming it's what every user was always searching for, while in reality it's just some development boosting cuckoldry, where only developers actually have benefits, nobody cares about the user's freedoms - which also explains why Linus still sticks to GPLv2 instead of making Linux compatible to other GPLv3 software.
>>
>>58788836
not everyone uses linux because fredoms
some just use if because it's better and don't care about freedom
>>
>>58784063
heh, i have one of those, also put debian 5 on it
>gentoo
oh man, good luck, those things are really, really slow
>>
>>58788861
So the downside of Linux is that it's so good that normies start using it and try to turn it into shit.
>>
>>58788874
Linux Mint?
>>
>>58788880
>DELET THIS
>>58788869
why is that screen that centered and small? what did they think then making it?
>>
>>58788887
it's like the nokia 3210 of laptops
>>
>>58788874
he's referring to the kernel
>>58788880
I have a low opinion on GNU/Linux Mint
>>
>>58785801
make a new one, reinstall grub, linux (just the kernel package), make a new grub config, regenerate initramfs
>>
what is the difference between pacman -Rns and pacman -Rsc?
>>
is there a portable way for all distros to count packages?
>>
I've a question about BASH. Is there any situation where "expr" is better than just $((stuff)) ?
>>
why has manjaro been getting so popular lately?
>>
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=swift
>>
>>58788947
no
>>
>>58788994
>https://distrowatch.com
use archive.is, faggot
no need to give this crapsite even more clicks
>>
>>58789007
The archive meme will never work on 4chan, anon. I tried it too.
>>
File: 1479355599336.jpg (78KB, 659x506px) Image search: [Google]
1479355599336.jpg
78KB, 659x506px
>>58788874
Or you know, actually develop useful software for it. Kinda like what is happening right now because Linux has slowly been gaining steam.

What RMS consistently fails to understand is that even with a free item, you still have to sex it up. "GNU/Linux" could be an incantation to kill boners and dry vaginas it sounds so bad. It's like he's been trying his damnedest to keep his precious GNU+Linux hovering at 1% usage because he doesn't understand this concept at all or he is willfully ignorant.

And that's not only a concept in getting people to use your product. You also have to attract developers. If people aren't using it, why the fuck would you write code for it. And an OS is worthless without software to go with it. It's why Windows continues to dominate like it does, not because its good but because it has software that people want to use.

With a comment like this, I'm going to assume that you're rather young. I remember back in the day, before Ubuntu was even a thing and Linux concepts would have probably soared over your head, Linux was mostly for tinkering. There were somethings good about it, while at the same time it lacked quite a bit in the software department. It was a tinkering dream, but little more than that.

So continue to toot about "normies." The irony makes me laugh.
>>
File: 1466349701577.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466349701577.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>58789039
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
emerge 
>>
>>58789039
microsoft has too much inertia. even if linux got it's shit 100% together, microsoft would have to almost make a deliberate effort to fuck itself over to ever lose their spot as top dog
>>
>>58789079
GNU/Linux*
>>
does anyone have that image showing how much of "GNU/Linux" is /actually/ GNU
>>
>>58789068
The pasta needs some overhoul or fresh variations. People will just tl;dr and ignore/filter it, thinking it's something stupid like Navy Seals.
>>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<h6>Linux</h6>
<p>Might I interject for a moment?</p>

<h4>GNU</h4>
<p>No, you don't understand...</p>

<h2>GNU/Linux</h2>
<p>That's more like it.</p>

</body>
</html>
>>
>>58789133
>h6
>>
>>58789096
Does it even matter? It's the GNU system, (created in '83). Many other software projects joined the project or freed their source code so the GNU system could use it, but somehow, people call the GNU system after the kernel - why? Nobody is referring to Windows as NT or to OS X as Xnu either?
>>
File: 1484036116280.png (216KB, 832x693px) Image search: [Google]
1484036116280.png
216KB, 832x693px
>>58788869
>that sleep button
lmao, good trolls
>>
>>58789154
it's just the super/mod4 key
i don't think this machine even supports actual sleep
>>
>>58789068
Even if its a troll, one more point.
GNU code could probably be striped out at this point, and it probably only makes up 10% or less of the code base for a distro at this point. Hell, Clang could probably compile a Linux kernel 5 years ago.
>>58789079
Really depends. The average person doesn't really give a shit as long as it gives a web browser and a word processor. Package that in something that looks familar, think Zorin, and I don't think anyone would care if that came preinstalled on their laptop. Add in a software center and some shitty mobileesque games and thats a plus.
>>
>>58789146
In some quarters, it’s politically correct to call the Linux operating system the “GNU/Linux operating system.” The problem with “Linux” is that there is no completely correct way to name it because it was written by many different people in a vast, distributed development effort. Technically speaking, Linux is the name of the operating system’s kernel, nothing more. The kernel is very important, of course, since it makes the operating system go, but it’s not enough to form a complete operating system.

Enter Richard Stallman, the genius-philosopher who founded the Free Software movement, started the Free Software Foundation, formed the GNU Project, wrote the first version of the GNU C Compiler (GCC), created the GNU General Public License (the GPL), etc., etc. He insists that you call it “GNU/Linux” to properly reflect the contributions of the GNU Project. While the GNU Project predates the Linux kernel and the project’s contributions are extremely deserving of recognition, placing them in the name is unfair to everyone else who made significant contributions. Besides, I think “Linux/GNU” would be more technically accurate since the kernel boots first and everything else runs on top of it.

In popular usage, “Linux” refers to the kernel and all the other free and open source software found in the typical Linux distribution—that is, the entire Linux ecosystem, not just the GNU components. The operating system marketplace seems to prefer one-word names such as DOS, Windows, Solaris, Irix, AIX. I have chosen to use the popular format. If, however, you prefer to use “GNU/Linux” instead, please perform a mental search and replace while reading this book. I won’t mind.
>>
>>58789184
Would you recommend that book?
>>
>>58789146
it's easy: back in the days we had the incomplete gnu system which was pretty popular around hackers and everyone hacked the shit out of it. then linux appeared and and we combined it with gnu and other open source stuff and had a basic system we could actually boot and run with a shell and communicate with the hardware and all that
now following happened: linux was the new shit and everyone was like
>Q: is this the new linux thing?
>A: yeah
now combine this with millions of people all around the earth and you know why the name of the kernel is more popular than the os itself
>>
>>58789201
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
very much, yes
>>
>>58789212
Nobody who actually knows anything about shell scripting would recommend this piece of shit.

>>58789201
Here you go:

The community driven BASH wiki:
http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/

The Grymoire - home for UNIX wizards:
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/index.html

Greg's (also known as GreyCat's) wiki:
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls

SED and AWK; your new best friends:
http://www.pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
http://www.pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt

Great online (and offline) linting tool:
http://www.shellcheck.net/
>>
>>58789233
care to explain what makes it such a bad book? it's just meant as an intro to the environment; it's not trying to market itself as a 100% do-it-all type of thing
>>
>>58789248
Just reposting from the other thread:

>refers to bash as "The Linux Command Line"
>reads program infos with "command --help | less"
>compares integers with =
>teaches bash, uses [ instead of [[
>comes up with stuff like: echo -n "Today's date is: "; date +"%A, %B %-d, %Y"
>thinks rm $TEMP_FILE is good practice
>uppercase variables

Just to name some of it's stupids..
>>
>>58789269
pretty much the same with anything from http://www.tldp.org
>>
>>58789287
Well the main problem with tldp is that it's very old documentation. Most examples still use backticks and stuff like that.

I think for finding your way on the terminal all sources are more or less good, but when it comes to using the shell for more than executing programs, most ressources fail.
>>
>>58789312
backticks are cool, they make me feel oldfagging
>>
I got a bit ballsy and turned off some options for this newest Linux kernel
Wish me luck
>>
>>58789337
I remember seeing one and thinking it was an apostrophe. Had to scan my entire keyboard till I found it. Never knew it had a purpose till I got in to GNU/Linux & Programming.
>>
Does 4chan not have https? What the fuck
>>
Recommend me a laptop that has good build quality and decent specs, without being ThinkPad tier heavy (I also don't want to buy used) I don't really care about price. Most important thing is good Linux support. (In wifi card etc) I like the build of macbooks and want something with SSD, good cpu and decent GPU without it being ridiculously priced and ugly XTREME GAMING shit.
>>
>>58789337
pure horror
$ echo `echo \`echo $SHELL\`
/bin/bash

meanwhile at current century:
echo $(echo $(echo $SHELL))
/bin/bash

bonus:
>meanwhile on fish:
% echo `echo \`echo $SHELL\`
`echo `echo /bin/bash`
% echo $(echo $(echo $SHELL))
fish: Did you mean (COMMAND)? In fish, the “$” character is only used for accessing variables. To learn more about command substitution in fish, type “help expand-command-substitution”.
echo $(echo $(echo $SHELL))
^
>>
>>58789399
Did you try replacing http with https in your addressbar?
>>
>>58789422
Don't blame a different shell for being different.
>>
>>58789399
Only 4chan pass users get https. Pay up.
>>
File: TOOK.jpg (16KB, 248x365px) Image search: [Google]
TOOK.jpg
16KB, 248x365px
Hello friendly linux. Computer's loud.

Ever since going deep and DELETING Windows and installing GNOME, my computer has been loud. Something's spinnin' inside.

What's some good software that can make sure everything's a-okay?
>>
>>58789463
Gentoo
>>
>>58789436
oh, okay, thanks anon. I had linked an image with https and the image wouldn't publish so I got screwed up

>>58789459
Is that true? I actually have one so...
>>
<<v58789473
heh 10/10
>>58789475
he replied to you (something really funny), but he was being a fag and posted a vip only post so you can't see it without pass and I'm too lazy to screenshot it, sry
>>
->
-> >>58789515
->
>>
>>58789184
>since the kernel boots first and everything else runs on top of it.
no, that's systemd
>>
>>58789605
no, that's grub
>>
http://www.isochan.net
>>
>>58789463
lm-sensors and fancontrol?
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.